PDA

View Full Version : Michael Young

eagleqb_14
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
has a chance to take the number one spot in most hits as a ranger. he has 1,746 and he is trying to pass pudge with 1,747. lets go MICHAEL!:D

coach
06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
before its all said and done he will be the greatest ranger ever

eagleqb_14
06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by coach
before its all said and done he will be the greatest ranger ever Amen

BaseballUmp
06-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Because Nolan Ryan was horrible right? lol

Txbroadcaster
06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Because Nolan Ryan was horrible right? lol

Was not a Ranger long enough imo the be even close to being the Greatest Rangers

IMO Juan, Pudge are 1-2 as far as greatest Rangers with Jim Sundberg and Toby Harrah and Young right below them

bwdlionfan
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Michael Young is now the all time leader in hits for the Rangers!

GrTigers6
06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
06-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Was not a Ranger long enough imo the be even close to being the Greatest Rangers

IMO Juan, Pudge are 1-2 as far as greatest Rangers with Jim Sundberg and Toby Harrah and Young right below them I would say 1. Juan 2. Pudge 3. Young right now. To me Young is extremly solid and consistent but I wouldn't call him a great player. I feel like in Juans time as a Ranger he was a great player.

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Way to go Young!!! Both Pudge and Juando were WAY better defensively than Young is. He has always been somewhat limit in his defensive range but it seems he is REALLY limited this season at 3rd base. He frequently misses when the ball is hit just 2 steps away from him. So the question remains: Can a player be the BEST EVER RANGER for just outstanding offensive numbers? (It will work for Dirk).

And lost in this discussion is the fact that the Rangers are playing some pretty dang good ball right now. #1 in majors in batting avg. with RISP...........(that is something they normally suck at)

BEAST
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
before its all said and done he will be the greatest ranger ever

I admit I am not a baseball fan, but is that really saying much?

BEAST

coach
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Way to go Young!!! Both Pudge and Juando were WAY better defensively than Young is. He has always been somewhat limit in his defensive range but it seems he is REALLY limited this season at 3rd base. He frequently misses when the ball is hit just 2 steps away from him. So the question remains: Can a player be the BEST EVER RANGER for just outstanding offensive numbers? (It will work for Dirk).

And lost in this discussion is the fact that the Rangers are playing some pretty dang good ball right now. #1 in majors in batting avg. with RISP...........(that is something they normally suck at)

ill give you pudge bc he is the greatest defensive catcher in the history of baseballl but juan better than michael defensively.....thats not true...michael has played 3 positions defensively very solid

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
ill give you pudge bc he is the greatest defensive catcher in the history of baseballl but juan better than michael defensively.....thats not true...michael has played 3 positions defensively very solid

Juan had a cannon for an arm. You just flat out didn't run on him. That said, Michael does have a Gold Glove.

CenTexSports
06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
My favorites: Sundberg, Young, Juan

All time best: Pudge, Juan, Young (but will be the best when he retires), Hamilton

My favorite time was when Sundberg went to KC and was on the WS winning team. His hit off the top of the fence in Toronto is my favorite play of all time. I like it when good things happen to journeymen players that play for the love of the game.

coach
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
right now i say my top 5 are pudge juan michael nolan (he did throw 2 no hitters as a ranger) and sunberg.....also if anybody says rusty greer in their top 5 i will scream....crusty reer isnt that great but for some reason ppl think he is the greatest all time

BEAST
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Without question, the best Ranger ever is Rusty Greer.:D :D

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
right now i say my top 5 are pudge juan michael nolan (he did throw 2 no hitters as a ranger) and sunberg.....also if anybody says rusty greer in their top 5 i will scream....crusty reer isnt that great but for some reason ppl think he is the greatest all time

Greer finished with a .305 career average had 3 100Rbi seasons 3 100 run seasons

coach
06-17-2010, 11:29 AM
yea but ppl thought he was the next lou gerig or babe ruth or somethiong

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
yea but ppl thought he was the next lou gerig or babe ruth or somethiong

I NEVER heard anyone think that high of em..they loved the fact he was a hard nosed player who gave his all.

coach
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
i have known some die hard greer fans....i loved the way he played too but i just think some overrated him just a tad

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
i have known some die hard greer fans....i loved the way he played too but i just think some overrated him just a tad

i understand that..I call it the Major Applewhite Syndrome

guy comes out of nowhere has some success and everyone thinks he was the greatest and never made a mistake or lost a game

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 12:15 PM
My top five Rangers:

1. Ivan Rodriguez
2. Michael Young
3. Nolan Ryan
4. Kenny Rogers
5. Juan Gonzalez

Gonzalez had some monster years and was even my favorite player growing up. But despite that, his prime was cut far shorter than it should have been, he always had a penchant for striking out on sliders in the dirt, and big steroid questions loom.

I put Kenny Rogers up there in part for the perfect game, but also because the mentality that he exhibited during his second and third stints with the team was the attitude that the Rangers so desperately wanted ingrained into the rest of their staff.

eagles_victory
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Gonzalez had some monster years and was even my favorite player growing up. But despite that, his prime was cut far shorter than it should have been, he always had a penchant for striking out on sliders in the dirt, and big steroid questions loom.

How is Pudge number 1 then?

Macarthur
06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
My top five Rangers:

1. Ivan Rodriguez
2. Michael Young
3. Nolan Ryan
4. Kenny Rogers
5. Juan Gonzalez

I put Kenny Rogers up there in part for the perfect game, but also because the mentality that he exhibited during his second and third stints with the team was the attitude that the Rangers so desperately wanted ingrained into the rest of their staff.

I second this minus Rogers. Too much of a d-bag for my taste.

Young has some deficiencies defensively, but Young brings a ton of stability to the clubhouse. He's been very durable and you know what you are going to get from him everyday.

Great Ranger.

I just hope that the Rangers can have some playoff success before he's gone. He's been a great player and a good solider on some bad teams for many years. He deserves to have some post season success.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
How is Pudge number 1 then?

Because his prime lasted far longer than any other catcher's (he's hitting .340 this year), he has never struck out 100 times in a season in his career, and outside of a Jose Canseco report, has never been linked to steroids, which are notorious for taking out people's knees, yet Pudge has caught more games than any player in MLB history.

He still has a .300 career batting average, he had one fewer stolen base in 1999 than Juan Gonzalez had in his entire career, has 13 Gold Gloves (including one every year from 1992-2001, and is probably the best defensive catcher in the history of the game.

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
maybe it is age, but I think people are forgetting Jim Sundberg. He was the FIRST long term Ranger who brought some pride to the Rangers