PDA

View Full Version : The Manu Ginobli of Soccer . . .

poisoned10
06-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Italian Player Goes Down Hard (http://www.break.com/index/italian-player-goes-down-hard.html)

turbostud
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
You should have seen Portugal. They are worse. the entire team was flopping in the first half of their game.
Why do soccer players flop so bad?

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Italian Player Goes Down Hard (http://www.break.com/index/italian-player-goes-down-hard.html)

Would you happen to be a Mav fan?:D

poisoned10
06-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Would you happen to be a Mav fan?:D

Not really. But I like them more than the Spurs.

eagles_victory
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I hate to see it from Christiano Ronaldo he is arguably the best player in the sport and a player the world is watching to see him diving around the field like he is being clipped with sniper fire doesn't send a good message for the game.

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Not really. But I like them more than the Spurs.

Are you an honest Mavs fan?:D :D

BTW, that video was funny. I would love to see someone put Casper the Ghost right behind the guy.

eagles_victory
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVTw1ysCgBY

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVTw1ysCgBY

lol
Hey, he is from Brazil.
I guess Casper kicked him in the face?:D

poisoned10
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Some of these flops are unbelievable.

Saw one where the ball was kicked at a guy, it hit him in the knee and he knocked it away and then flew backwards covering his face.

Pansies!

poisoned10
06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Are you an honest Mavs fan?:D :D

B

I'm a Laker fan. So you can answer that however you want to.

I've just never really cared for Tim Duncan or Manu so I don't like the Spurs.

LH_Tuff
06-17-2010, 08:16 AM
The real problem is the refs. If they are calling a close game, the players will try to take advantage by flopping to gain an advantage. If the ref is letting them play, you see much less flopping.

I have seen a couple yellow cards for flopping during the last week. One or two cards during a game usually takes care of the flopping. 2 yellow cards and a player is ejected from the game and misses the next game. 2 yellow cards over a span of 2 games and a player must miss the next game. So the incentive is to not flop.

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 08:20 AM
They need to bring the yellow cards to the NBA. I saw Kobe drive to the hoop and jump 3' sideways into the defender and the refs gave him the call. how many times do we see a shooter fake a defender into the air and then move sideways into them and get the call??? It's obvious to everyone seeing it on TV so why isn't it obvious to the refs?

JasonTX
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
They need to bring the yellow cards to the NBA. I saw Kobe drive to the hoop and jump 3' sideways into the defender and the refs gave him the call. how many times do we see a shooter fake a defender into the air and then move sideways into them and get the call??? It's obvious to everyone seeing it on TV so why isn't it obvious to the refs?

I agree that it's easy to see from TV. On the court the perspective is drastically different. You should try it out and you will be amazed at how different the game is when you are in the stripes. Things you see on TV from numerous TV angles make it easy. On the court you have one angle and one speed. You can be in the exact position you are supposed to be in, but the angle of the players makes is difficult at times to make the correct call. As for the "Kobe" play that you described, are you 100% sure that those aren't correct foul calls by rule? If so, please cite the rule number.

ronwx5x
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
IAs for the "Kobe" play that you described, are you 100% sure that those aren't correct foul calls by rule? If so, please cite the rule number.

Love these guys who say I don't believe you so you have to do the research.

JasonTX
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Love these guys who say I don't believe you so you have to do the research.

It's not research. If a person claims to know the rules then they must obviously have a copy of the rule book since that is the only way to learn the rules. I wasn't trying to come across as a jerk, I was just stating that what was described perhaps is a foul under NBA rules. I'm quite certain the NBA refs know what is and isn't a foul under NBA rules. I'm also quite certain that they can't see everything and make every call as that is impossible. I've seen the very same situation that Kobe does and it is pretty consistently called a foul, so that would lead me to believe if a person had a copy of the NBA rule book they would see that fits the definition of an NBA foul.

BEAST
06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
It's not research. If a person claims to know the rules then they must obviously have a copy of the rule book since that is the only way to learn the rules. I wasn't trying to come across as a jerk, I was just stating that what was described perhaps is a foul under NBA rules. I'm quite certain the NBA refs know what is and isn't a foul under NBA rules. I'm also quite certain that they can't see everything and make every call as that is impossible. I've seen the very same situation that Kobe does and it is pretty consistently called a foul, so that would lead me to believe if a person had a copy of the NBA rule book they would see that fits the definition of an NBA foul.

I understand what you are saying, and would lead me to believe it was a foul as well if it were called when a no name did it. However, these calls are reserved for MJ, Kobe, DWade, and a few others.

BEAST

JasonTX
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I understand what you are saying, and would lead me to believe it was a foul as well if it were called when a no name did it. However, these calls are reserved for MJ, Kobe, DWade, and a few others.

BEAST

I took it upon myself to do some research and my findings suggest this is in fact a foul. Here is a Q&A site about NBA rule and this very question was asked. Here's the link:
Rule (http://www.probasketballrefs.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68)

Q. In nearly every game, I see an offensive player pump fake, the defender rises in the air and the offensive player jumps toward the defender and goes to the line for two shots. Can you explain why this is a defensive foul?
A.
As referees, our focus is on the defender, generally speaking, it is his responsibility to avoid or make certain that his positioning is legal. It is rare that a defender jumps (alights) straight up and returns to the floor on the same spot. Normally what you observe is the offensive player getting the defender in the air, the defender has jumped forward from his original spot on the court and is now in the air when the offensive player begins his jump shot. Since the defender is not in a legal guarding position (in the air) the onus is generally on him for the contact. The defender is entitled to a perpendicular spot from the floor straight up (vertical)....and as mentioned earlier, it is rare that they return to the same spot from which they left the floor.

Now, if the offensive player reacts with an overt movement that we judge (i.e. wipe out with the off arm to clear space to get his shot off, leg kick out) then the decision would be an offensive foul call.

poisoned10
06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Another Flop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgj1l9vUyhU&feature=player_embedded)

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I took it upon myself to do some research and my findings suggest this is in fact a foul. Here is a Q&A site about NBA rule and this very question was asked. Here's the link:

Q. In nearly every game, I see an offensive player pump fake, the defender rises in the air and the offensive player jumps toward the defender and goes to the line for two shots. Can you explain why this is a defensive foul?
A.
As referees, our focus is on the defender, generally speaking, it is his responsibility to avoid or make certain that his positioning is legal. It is rare that a defender jumps (alights) straight up and returns to the floor on the same spot. Normally what you observe is the offensive player getting the defender in the air, the defender has jumped forward from his original spot on the court and is now in the air when the offensive player begins his jump shot. Since the defender is not in a legal guarding position (in the air) the onus is generally on him for the contact. The defender is entitled to a perpendicular spot from the floor straight up (vertical)....and as mentioned earlier, it is rare that they return to the same spot from which they left the floor.

Now, if the offensive player reacts with an overt movement that we judge (i.e. wipe out with the off arm to clear space to get his shot off, leg kick out) then the decision would be an offensive foul call.

I will never believe the NBA doesn't have an agenda in mind when they tell the refs how they want certain plays called. They want to sell tickets and merchandise first and foremost. Offense does that! The play I mentioned was an offensive foul in anybody's defintion of the word. If the "RULE BOOK" says otherwise then it needs changed because the rule is in place to sell tickets rather than create fair play! Bottom Line!

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM

A.

The problem I have with this explaination is when this happens the shooter moves in a direction contrary to the shot which is obviously and blatantly an attempt to CREATE contact and get the foul. Contact "CREATED" by an offensive player should always be an offensive foul.