PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate doctors!!!

Farmersfan
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
My best friend and wife of 25 years went in to get her Well-Woman exams and physical last week. The office assistant for her doctor called her on Thursday night about 5pm and told her she tested positive for Clamidia! (As in STD Clamidia!!!!) :eek: :eek:
Of course both of us freaked out but my wife was beside herself in anger at me and self pity for awhile. For a couple of hours there was nothing I could say to convince her that something was no right about this whole thing. She eventually calmed down and started thinking rationally. I know my wife pretty well and would not EVER think she would be unfaithful but at the same time I knew I had not screwed around so what was I to think???? Because they had called her at the close of business it was not until Friday morning that we could get in touch with the doctor and she told us there was no mistake. We made an appointment together for another doctor and went in for more tests on Friday and even paid extra to get the results expedited. We got the results about 2 hours ago and both of us tested Negative. They even checked the results twice to make sure. NEGATIVE!!!!! Negative for every possible STD a person could have. NEGATIVE for HIV. All negative!!! I called the original doctor and she didn't say "I'm sorry", "My mistake" or even "Oops"! She even refused to take the cost of the test off the bill. I can talk a big game on here but the reality is I'm normally a pussycat but I let her have it. She hung up on me before I could get the good words out. I should put her name on here for everyone to be warned but that wouldn't be cool.
The positive spin in this ordeal is that my wife and I both really learned that when the chips are down, we really do trust each other!:D

MUSTANG69
06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
If I were you I would write a letter to the editor of your local paper explaining what happened and name the doctor.:devil:

crzyjournalist03
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Sounds similar to an experience I recently had unfortunately, only mine was dealing with a "cancerous" mole that wasn't really cancerous. Three doctor visits and a surgery later, the doctor tells me literally as I'm getting off the operating table, "Well, I know it wasn't cancerous or anything, but at least cosmetically you'll look better."

This comes after I had argued with him about whether removing the mole was really necessary because I wasn't interested in cosmetic surgery, and he convinced me that it could be cancerous and that he'd feel really bad if I died of cancer for not taking his advice to have it removed (Yes, he actually said that.).

Here it is a month later, and I've still got pain in my back where the stitches are (I don't have a clue how many of them he used, but for an incision the size of an M&M, he used way too many of them). And I got a call this week informing me that "As we expected, everything came back normal, so there was no cancer."

Farmersfan
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
If I could keep it from ruining my credit I would refuse to pay her the deductable part of her bill! any ideas?

crzyjournalist03
06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
If I could keep it from ruining my credit I would refuse to pay her the deductable part of her bill! any ideas?

Depending on the type of test that you took, you could research the possibilities of false positives...if it turns out that it's impossible to have a false positive, you may have a legal case if you want to go that far.

Cameron Crazy
06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
You could also go to the board of directors at the hospital that doctor works at and have a little meeting with them.

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
My best friend and wife of 25 years went in to get her Well-Woman exams and physical last week. The office assistant for her doctor called her on Thursday night about 5pm and told her she tested positive for Clamidia! (As in STD Clamidia!!!!) :eek: :eek:
Of course both of us freaked out but my wife was beside herself in anger at me and self pity for awhile. For a couple of hours there was nothing I could say to convince her that something was no right about this whole thing. She eventually calmed down and started thinking rationally. I know my wife pretty well and would not EVER think she would be unfaithful but at the same time I knew I had not screwed around so what was I to think???? Because they had called her at the close of business it was not until Friday morning that we could get in touch with the doctor and she told us there was no mistake. We made an appointment together for another doctor and went in for more tests on Friday and even paid extra to get the results expedited. We got the results about 2 hours ago and both of us tested Negative. They even checked the results twice to make sure. NEGATIVE!!!!! Negative for every possible STD a person could have. NEGATIVE for HIV. All negative!!! I called the original doctor and she didn't say "I'm sorry", "My mistake" or even "Oops"! She even refused to take the cost of the test off the bill. I can talk a big game on here but the reality is I'm normally a pussycat but I let her have it. She hung up on me before I could get the good words out. I should put her name on here for everyone to be warned but that wouldn't be cool.
The positive spin in this ordeal is that my wife and I both really learned that when the chips are down, we really do trust each other!:D

I'm glad it worked out for both of you. Now go out and have a good old-fashioned "knock-em down drag-em out fight" so yall can make up and take it out on each other.;)

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Why I don't trust doctors:

Back in late 2007, I got a chest cold that turned into bronchitis and then finally pleurisy. I don't think I was ever diagnosed correctly in the first place. After a few days on meds and working through it(because missing work is not an option especially when everyone in the office seems to have the same thing and deadlines are paramount), just reaching down and picking up a simple 30 pound package would leave me breathless. I decided to finally go to the hospital emergency room the next day because just breathing became a un-fulfilling task that left me gasping for air just walking.
Sure enough, after 10 or so hours in the Methodist Hospital emergency room, and pain so sharp at times coming from my right lung I thought I would go mad, I was admitted and given a pain shot.

I was given tests the next day and found out I had pneumonia.

Their doctor said I needed a chest tube inserted to drain my left lung. Ok, no problem, a local anesthetic was applied to my left chest and the doctor made a small cut and forced a tube through my ribs and into my lung. Not a good experience at all.
Meanwhile I had a crazy old nurse who played with nobs on the "drainer" and said she knew better than the doctors.
After a day or two of this, and new tests performed, it was decided that my lung wasn't draining. So the same doctor said ANOTHER tube would need to be inserted to help drain my lung. Goodness! OK OK, I'll do it.

After another day or two, and more tests the doctor came into my room and announced that I needed an immediate Thoracotomy because the tubes weren't draining. I was actually feeling better and asked for a second opinion. I was given a PA(I found out later) and he echoed the doctor's opinion. My wife and I talked it over and from decided this was our best option. Wiki on Thoracotomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracotomy)
Well hell, I awoke the next day in immense pain and had to be drugged for 24 hours to cope with it. In fact, I was given one of those buttons to push for morphine when I needed it. lol I needed it, alot. Everyone said I was ok and the surgery went great. After a couple or few days I was taken off the morphine and received Demerol . One day after that the doctor came in and announced that I was ready to go home. I was shocked. I said so. He said everything was going wonderful and I was ready to go home. Keep in mind, trying to get out of my crappy bed was almost impossible to even pee or go number two.
My tubes were still in the side of my chest and he was about to remove them right then and there with no pain control. I raised my voice to him and demanded something for the pain. He disgustingly got a nurse and she gave me a Demerol shot. Not 30 seconds after my shot he came in and said he needed to get those tubes out now. I was about to protest but he set himself right next to me real quick and said, "This might sting".
All I can say is when someone pulls a tube(this is NOT a small tube BTW) out of your lung, between your ribs, you can't describe the feeling of "wrongness" and thinking you are about to die from the pain. Him stitching me up was nothing compared to that.
I left for home a couple of hours after that and couldn't even walk. My wife gamely picked me up at the entrance and helped me into our truck. No easy task there.

Here is the kicker: One month after I was discharged I had a followup with the same doctor. One of the first questions I asked was how was my lungs? He proceeded to look at me and say(I will never forget this!), "Your lung was clear". I asked, "What?" "Did I need the surgery??!!?"

He said the was "nothing to scrape out because the stubborn built-up fluids had already drained out".

To this day I regret I didn't punch him right then and there! He saw my disposition and seemed to sincerely apologize. I responded to that.
But here it is almost three years later and my left ribcage is still not the same. They have to crack open one side of your ribcage to access your lung. They tie it back. I was told it might never be the same.
I should have punched that doctor. But I didn't.
:doh:

orange machine
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Why I don't trust doctors:

Back in late 2007, I got a chest cold that turned into bronchitis and then finally pleurisy. I don't think I was ever diagnosed correctly in the first place. After a few days on meds and working through it(because missing work is not an option especially when everyone in the office seems to have the same thing and deadlines are paramount), just reaching down and picking up a simple 30 pound package would leave me breathless. I decided to finally go to the hospital emergency room the next day because just breathing became a un-fulfilling task that left me gasping for air just walking.
Sure enough, after 10 or so hours in the Methodist Hospital emergency room, and pain so sharp at times coming from my right lung I thought I would go mad, I was admitted and given a pain shot.

I was given tests the next day and found out I had pneumonia.

Their doctor said I needed a chest tube inserted to drain my left lung. Ok, no problem, a local anesthetic was applied to my left chest and the doctor made a small cut and forced a tube through my ribs and into my lung. Not a good experience at all.
Meanwhile I had a crazy old nurse who played with nobs on the "drainer" and said she knew better than the doctors.
After a day or two of this, and new tests performed, it was decided that my lung wasn't draining. So the same doctor said ANOTHER tube would need to be inserted to help drain my lung. Goodness! OK OK, I'll do it.

After another day or two, and more tests the doctor came into my room and announced that I needed an immediate Thoracotomy because the tubes weren't draining. I was actually feeling better and asked for a second opinion. I was given a PA(I found out later) and he echoed the doctor's opinion. My wife and I talked it over and from decided this was our best option. Wiki on Thoracotomy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracotomy)
Well hell, I awoke the next day in immense pain and had to be drugged for 24 hours to cope with it. In fact, I was given one of those buttons to push for morphine when I needed it. lol I needed it, alot. Everyone said I was ok and the surgery went great. After a couple or few days I was taken off the morphine and received Demerol . One day after that the doctor came in and announced that I was ready to go home. I was shocked. I said so. He said everything was going wonderful and I was ready to go home. Keep in mind, trying to get out of my crappy bed was almost impossible to even pee or go number two.
My tubes were still in the side of my chest and he was about to remove them right then and there with no pain control. I raised my voice to him and demanded something for the pain. He disgustingly got a nurse and she gave me a Demerol shot. Not 30 seconds after my shot he came in and said he needed to get those tubes out now. I was about to protest but he set himself right next to me real quick and said, "This might sting".
All I can say is when someone pulls a tube(this is NOT a small tube BTW) out of your lung, between your ribs, you can't describe the feeling of "wrongness" and thinking you are about to die from the pain. Him stitching me up was nothing compared to that.
I left for home a couple of hours after that and couldn't even walk. My wife gamely picked me up at the entrance and helped me into our truck. No easy task there.

Here is the kicker: One month after I was discharged I had a followup with the same doctor. One of the first questions I asked was how was my lungs? He proceeded to look at me and say(I will never forget this!), "Your lung was clear". I asked, "What?" "Did I need the surgery??!!?"

He said the was "nothing to scrape out because the stubborn built-up fluids had already drained out".

To this day I regret I didn't punch him right then and there! He saw my disposition and seemed to sincerely apologize. I responded to that.
But here it is almost three years later and my left ribcage is still not the same. They have to crack open one side of your ribcage to access your lung. They tie it back. I was told it might never be the same.
I should have punched that doctor. But I didn't.
:doh:

Now thats just crappy what luck.

orange machine
06-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Well this is not a doctors story, but something kinda funny that happend to me last night. I got off work at 2am yesterday morning and decided that i was gonna go to wal-mart and get me some uncle earls mac and cheese its really good. Well as im walking up to the front doors there are two wal-mart workers talking. I proceed to walk to where the mac and cheese in the cooler sections and i felt something cold around the mid section. The only place in the store where there are people at is right where i am. I put my hand down where my zipper is and low and behold my fly is wide open. Two major problems here 1 im going commando and 2 im in my police uniform so im just beside myself at this point. I discreetly pulled the fly up and im not sure if anybody noticed or not, but i got my mac and cheese and got the heck out of wal-mart.

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 07:54 AM
A followup:

I visited the original doctor yesterday afternoon. I was surprised she would even see me after our phone conversation but she did come out into the lobby to visit with me. I told her I didn't think it was appropriate for her to charge us for tests that had been incorrect. She told me it was the Lab that conducted the tests and not her. I then told her that if that is the case then SHE should not pay the lab for the cost of the tests and should charge me only her costs. She finally said she would take the whole cost of the test off the bill. (even though insurance was covering most of it). She also made a bunch of excuses about how it's not very likely the tests were wrong in the first place and that my wife and I both needed to start the treatment right away just in case. I got mad again and told her that she had ZERO bedside manner and didn't even act like she cared that a 25 year marriage had been rocked to it's core because of a false diagnosis. It was like a light came on in her little head. I think she finally realized what had us so angry and she started apologizing repeatedly! She said it was obvious that we had wrong information about Clamidia. Although it is true that the only known way of getting it is sexual contact it is also true that it is estamated that 8 out of every 10 people have it and most people have it their entire lives without ever knowing it or having any symptoms. She said she never even thought about this diagnosis indicating one of us had been unfaithful because she deals with this stuff every day. She seemed sincere when she apologized for not explaining it better to us. Anyway, maybe she will think about it a little differently next times she deals with a married couple and a STD!

Farmersfan
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Well this is not a doctors story, but something kinda funny that happend to me last night. I got off work at 2am yesterday morning and decided that i was gonna go to wal-mart and get me some uncle earls mac and cheese its really good. Well as im walking up to the front doors there are two wal-mart workers talking. I proceed to walk to where the mac and cheese in the cooler sections and i felt something cold around the mid section. The only place in the store where there are people at is right where i am. I put my hand down where my zipper is and low and behold my fly is wide open. Two major problems here 1 im going commando and 2 im in my police uniform so im just beside myself at this point. I discreetly pulled the fly up and im not sure if anybody noticed or not, but i got my mac and cheese and got the heck out of wal-mart.

Perfect example of why going "Commando" is never a good idea! Only bad things can come from it.

ronwx5x
06-17-2010, 08:59 AM
A few years back I had an MRI on my right hip due to nagging pain. The report sent to my orthopod stated that while imaging my hip the person who read the image noticed an anomaly in my prostate. I asked the ortho if this was something unusual and he stated it happened all the time and I should visit my family physician, which I did. My physician decided it would be best if I underwent a biopsy which I agreed to. He referred me to a urology group that I have since learned is very large and growing, as well as highly recommended.

I had the procedure done (another story in itself) and afterwards asked the Dr. how long before the results were available and he told me about a week to 10 days. After a month of not hearing from them, I called the office and of course was answered by the automated voice response system. I left my message, along with my cell phone number for call-back but didn't hear back. That evening when I arrived home there was a message on my home phone from their office stating that the results were not back yet. I waited another month without hearing from them and decided to call again, also leaving my cell number to call me back. Imagine my surprise when I got home and there was another message, no results yet. After another month, now 3 months total, I decided enough was enough. When I called and got the AVR I punched the number for an emergency. The operator answered, I told her the reason for my call and I could hear her speaking with someone else giving her my request. I suppose they thought I could not hear because the answer I plainly heard was "tell him the results are not available". By this time I had had enough and wrote a scathing letter to the Dr., marked "Personal!" He called me within two days to report that they had suddenly found the results, misfiled of course, and the results were negative. No apology for the rude treatment, just a "be happy" all is clear. Needless to say I told my personal physician about my experience and informed him I would never again go there, no matter how bad off I might be. I'll drive the 45 miles to the Houston Medical Center before I will go to this group.

BwdLion73
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by orange machine

You could have got suspended for being out of uniform!
;)

44INAROW
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Send a letter directly to the Doctor - Certified Mail - Restricted Delivery = meaning SHE has to sign for it. Tell her how you feel and why you feel that way. You might get the bill resolved. Just a thought :) Bottom Line - you're both healthy and trust each other and that's a good thing :)
nevermind - I just read the followup post.. sounds like things worked out and the Doctor learned a valuable lesson!

PPSTATEBOUND
06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
TMI....

:eek:

coach
06-18-2010, 09:58 AM

wait wait wait....you have a wife?!?!?!?!?

Txbroadcaster
06-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by coach
wait wait wait....you have a wife?!?!?!?!?

yes he does..his wife's name is Robert..or Robbie :D :D

Farmersfan
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yes he does..his wife's name is Robert..or Robbie :D :D

I sense a little jealousy here TX!

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
It is gonna get worse folks... bright minds are no longer going into the medical field, and with what DC has on the horizon there will be even less qualified people doing the tests and analyzing the results. Not to mention less qualified MDs.

:thinking: