PDA

View Full Version : Article in Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine

IrishTex
06-16-2010, 05:16 AM
http://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2010/06/15/20100615-211258-pic-982860261_t300.jpg

Two in a row.

For the second straight year, a player with Taylor County ties is pictured on the cover of Texas Football magazine, which went on sale statewide Monday.

Pictured are three quarterbacks from Texas universities — Houston’s Case Keenum, a Wylie High graduate; Texas A&M’s Jerrod Johnson; and Texas Christian’s Andy Dalton.

Last year, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, a Jim Ned graduate, had the cover to himself.

“A lot of this has been surreal, unbelievable,” said Steve Keenum, a former coach and Case’s father. “It’s kind of surprising ... for your kid, you wish for big things — but he’s achieved a lot. I’ve been looking at that magazine forever and it’s amazing the folks they had on the cover.

“This is a great compliment to him and his teammates to have enough regard to put him on the cover.”

If not excited already about the prospects of Abilene High in the coming season, Eagles fans will be excited to see AHS is picked to repeat as Class 5A Division II champion. Overall, AHS is ranked second to 2009 Division I champ Euless Trinity,

“They picked us just right,” Eagles coach Steve Warren said at Tuesday night’s ticket-selling event.

According to Texas Football, the Eagles will win Region I while Belton, led by University of Texas commit David Ash at quarterback, will take Region II. Those two teams kick off the season Aug. 27 in San Antonio at the Alamodome, where AHS won its first state championship in 53 years.

“This time last year, we weren’t even on the radar,” Warren said. “This is all based on what we accomplished last year. We’ve had a target on our backs for a few years because of our success, but that target is bigger this year.”

Did he know Belton would be this highly regarded?

“I knew they were going to be this good. We’re opening against one of the best teams in the state, so it’s a huge difference from last year,” Warren said.

Eagles senior running back Herschel Sims was named to the preseason Super Team while Jaxon Shipley, a Brownwood senior, is a second-team pick at wide receiver.

Sims, who scored 40 total touchdowns in the Eagles’ 15-0 season, also is pictured in a two-page MaxPreps ad.

Sims, Shipley, AHS quarterback Ronnell Sims, Cooper linebacker Josh Robinson and Stephenville running back James Myles are listed among the top 30 players at their respective positions.

Warren and Goldthwaite coach Gary Proffitt, who led the Mills County Eagles to the Class 1A Division I championship by upsetting No. 1 Canadian, are honored as two of seven coaches of the year.

In other magazine highlights:

n Throckmorton standout Michael Everett, who has aspirations of serving as an officer in the Marine Corps, is featured as Six-Man cover boy.

n Named a Money Player in Class 1A is Albany quarterback Leif Johnston.

n Graham is the Army Strong Class 3A team of the year. The Steers went from 3-7 in 2008 to 14-2 and state runner-up to Carthage, losing by a point.

n Three Big Country teams are high picks in Class 1A, led by Goldthwaite, which is projected to repeat as state champion. The Eagles are No. 1 in Division I, with Albany coming in at No. 5. Munday is No. 4 in Division II and the anticipated Region II winner.

n Brownwood, which returns nine starters on both sides of scrimmage, is ranked No. 2 behind Lucas Lovejoy in Class 3A and the projected Region I Division II champion. Despite losing 41 lettermen, Wylie is ranked No. 5. The Bulldogs, who are the projected Region I Division I champ, beat Lovejoy in the semifinals.

n Throckmorton is No. 2 in Six-Man Division I, with Ira No. 4, Knox City No. 8 and Robert Lee, which was 2-8 last year, ranked No. 10. In Division II, Strawn is No. 2, with Panther Creek No. 5 and Woodson No. 7.

n Stephenville, which lost twice in close games to eventual Division II champion Aledo, is ranked No. 4 in 4A.

n Cisco is No. 10 in Class 2A Division II and the projected Region I champion.

n Pictured as players to watch are Abilene High QB Ronnell Sims and safety Jake Brooks, Cooper RB Davon Riddick, Wylie LB Joe Nasser, Ballinger QB Aaron Keesee, Coahoma center Josh Castilaw, Winters LB Angel Barron, Goldthwaite RBs Jonathon Williams and James Harden, Munday LB Kyler Urbanczyk, Highland LB Thomas Stewart and Ira LB Richard DeLuna.

Abilene Reporter News (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/jun/16/texas-football-mag-spotlights-wylie-grad-keenum/)

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Exactly what page is this article that's supposedly "IN" DCTF? Because I don't find it!

bwdlionfan
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Exactly what page is this article that's supposedly "IN" DCTF? Because I don't find it!

I thought the same thing when I saw this, but I think he meant an article "on" not "in" DCTF

Eagle 1
06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Follow the Abiliene Reporter link, he is talking about teams in the Big Country.

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Follow the Abiliene Reporter link, he is talking about teams in the Big Country.
Right, but the article is "in" the ARN...the title sounds like it's in DCTF. :confused:

IrishTex
06-16-2010, 09:56 PM
:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me?

Did you follow the link?

Perhaps I should have said "on" instead of "in".....

Will I ever be forgiven????

:D

SintonFan
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me?

Did you follow the link?

Perhaps I should have said "on" instead of "in".....

Will I ever be forgiven????

:D

IT, the title of this thread does say,

"Article in Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine"
:nerd: :D

IrishTex
06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
IT, the title of this thread does say,

"Article in Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine"
:nerd: :D

Yes, which is why I said "I should have said"