PDA

View Full Version : Vernon names new coach

jlwttu
06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/jun/15/vernon-names-correll-coach/

BaseballUmp
06-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Correll won a New Mexico 3A state championship at Portales in 2008, and coached the Rams to the 2006 title game in his first year with the school. He has made the playoffs his four years there, compiling a 24-25 record...

How is that possible?
Wins a state title, makes another state title game and playoffs all 4 years with only 24 wins? Usually it takes 24 wins or more to make it to 2 state title games much less 2 more years of playoff berths...maybe they do things different in NM???

JasonTX
06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
It was a 4-3 vote. No way would I want to be in that situation.

Cameron Crazy
06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
He better be able to handle some kids that need a ton of discipline. If he establishes that, he will be able to get a good run going.

jlwttu
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
It was a 4-3 vote. No way would I want to be in that situation.

I have to agree. No way I would want to go into a situation like that knowing that 3 people didn't want me.

Ernest T Bass
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Very poorly handled by the school board. Very rarely is there truly a unanimous vote. In most cases, the opposing board members will reverse their votes so that the incoming HC has a unamimous vote. But, since this was initially done without the entire board, thus resulting in a tie, the count was publicized and no one could change their vote. Bad deal all the way around.

GreenMonster
06-15-2010, 11:14 PM
He's a spread guy walking into a wing t program at Vernon. It will be 2-3 years just to develop the type of players to fit his scheme. With only a 4-3 vote to hire him I would think he would be on a short leash and need to win quick. Add in the fact that he had no spring practice time and his chore becomes even greater. I wish him good luck, but he may be the sacrificial lamb and get to turn the lions into a spread team only to get the axe before he can have any success.

wildstangs
06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Correll won a New Mexico 3A state championship at Portales in 2008, and coached the Rams to the 2006 title game in his first year with the school. He has made the playoffs his four years there, compiling a 24-25 record...

How is that possible?
Wins a state title, makes another state title game and playoffs all 4 years with only 24 wins? Usually it takes 24 wins or more to make it to 2 state title games much less 2 more years of playoff berths...maybe they do things different in NM???

New Mexico only has 20-30 schools per classification I believe. 10-15 probably makes the playoffs, and you only need to win 3 games to be in/win a state championship.

Matthew328
06-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I've got to think he's smart enough to know that at this point he can't install a spread offense during two-a-days.

He's probably going to have to stick with some of the Wing-T stuff this year and slowly integrate spread stuff and maybe have it ready by the start of district play..

Then this next off-season will be crucial in trying to fully install the spread also I'd imagine you will see Vernon in a LOT of 7 on 7 just so they can get used to throwing and catching more....

cr180t
06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
New Mexico only has 20-30 schools per classification I believe. 10-15 probably makes the playoffs, and you only need to win 3 games to be in/win a state championship.

Last one we won in new mexico we went 14-1, the other 2 we were 13-1.

BILLYFRED0000
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Vernon would be a hard place to go in any case. Lots of good history there and expectations are always high. I think he can make it work but he must be careful this first year. I think he could teach the team to run out of the spread in the first year but to install the full spread would be difficult. If it was me I would keep the wing t and try to install some of the passing game from the spread and work it up to district just to see if the kids could get some of it going. Short passes bubble screens and the like.
I just know I would not try to do too much to soon.

3AFootballfan
06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Bad move by Vernon Schoolboard. It's the middle of June and to hire outside is totally ridiculous. They should have given Bateman the job for a year and then if they werent satified with the job he did, move on. Iowa Park didn't have the choice of hiring within because nobody wanted the job. The whole town of IP is fired up with the hiring of Coach Ponder. They have welcomed him with open arms. Will he perform miracles, absolutely not , but if he stays long enough he will build a better program. Next defensive coord. in I.P???????? Could it be Coach Bateman from Vernon?????? Again, Vernon's loss. LOL Just my opinion

JasonTX
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Too many board members are only concerned about their own agendas. They let the fan in them make their decision. Sure, a coach that has some state championships is certainly attractive, but what now happens to Bateman?

3AFootballfan
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I just wanna add something to the post i wrote above. First of all, I have nothing against Coach Correll and really don't know a lot about him. I do know he doesn't have much head coach experience and he's been coaching in New Mexico???? Not Texas Football!!! He could be the best coach ever. Just dissapointed that out of about 100 applicants Vernon couldn't hire someone with more experience. Good luck to him.

3AFootballfan
06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
I think Bateman could end up in Iowa Park. If I were him I sure wouldn't stay in Vernon. I think Bateman got a bad deal or no deal because he coach under Hall. He shouldn't be judge by that. Maybe the schoolboard should've been replace instead of Bateman. Signed JUST PISSED OFF.

Matthew328
06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Aren't all contracts good after June 1?? I would think if Bateman wanted to stay he could...

Ernest T Bass
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
He has a job, but may not be in the same capacity. He could make him the 7th grade volleyball coach.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
PP will be sure to welcome him to the ranks and show him how the boys in Texas do things....

PP has them First scrimmage.....:p

cr180t
06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by 3AFootballfan
I just wanna add something to the post i wrote above. First of all, I have nothing against Coach Correll and really don't know a lot about him. I do know he doesn't have much head coach experience and he's been coaching in New Mexico???? Not Texas Football!!! He could be the best coach ever. Just dissapointed that out of about 100 applicants Vernon couldn't hire someone with more experience. Good luck to him.

Those dang Coaches in New Mexico. Probally do not even know how to coach blocking an tackling.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
At the end of the day, the board did not have enough confidence in Coach Bateman. If I was him, I would try and move on.

I recall when Coach Hall took over at VHS as the head coach he wanted a wing-t offense because he always had difficulty defending it as a defensive coach. In addition, I have heard that you can do more with less (linemen) in that type of offense. Not sure if that is true, but it is what I have been told.

VWG
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
It's funny about "doing more with less", because that's what coaches also say about the spread.
Spread the defense out, short quick routes, don't need huge line, etc.....

Matthew328
06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
Those dang Coaches in New Mexico. Probally do not even know how to coach blocking an tackling.

Yeah who in the heck would hire a guy from NEW MEXICO??? What are they thinking?? ;)

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by VWG
It's funny about "doing more with less", because that's what coaches also say about the spread.
Spread the defense out, short quick routes, don't need huge line, etc.....

Yes that is true of both. But it depends on what you do out of the spread. The wing t is a run offense. Spread is more complicated in that you run and throw. Takes more fundamentals out of your skill players to play unless you limit yourself in your passing game. It also depends on the skill and quality of the defenses that you play. How much speed do you have and how much speed are you going to see for the most part. I have seen that the spread is harder to defend because it prevents the defense from loading up on the run game. The wing t does not prevent that at all. You can load up on it all day. IMHO the spread run decent is a harder offense to stop. A wing t run well is not that hard to stop with a coach that can teach his tackles and linebackers to read.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Yes that is true of both. But it depends on what you do out of the spread. The wing t is a run offense. Spread is more complicated in that you run and throw. Takes more fundamentals out of your skill players to play unless you limit yourself in your passing game. It also depends on the skill and quality of the defenses that you play. How much speed do you have and how much speed are you going to see for the most part. I have seen that the spread is harder to defend because it prevents the defense from loading up on the run game. The wing t does not prevent that at all. You can load up on it all day. IMHO the spread run decent is a harder offense to stop. A wing t run well is not that hard to stop with a coach that can teach his tackles and linebackers to read.

I know that Celina Defense stopped Vernon all night long when we played last.

That was one heck of a good football team.

ccmom
06-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Amen!! They sure know how to welcome visitors, though! :taunt:

hawkfan
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
. A wing t run well is not that hard to stop with a coach that can teach his tackles and linebackers to read.

A spread is not that hard to stop if you have guys that can cover a pass. I've seen good teams line up 11 in the box against a wing-t and still get thrashed.

runtowin
06-17-2010, 05:43 PM
here we go again, I said I would stay out of it. But I will enjoy new opinions. Power Running Vs Spread offenses!

JasonTX
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Why not do what Vernon did back in the 90's. We had multiple offensive sets. We ran option, wing T, double wing, spread, shotgun. You name it and we had it in the play book.

garciap77
06-17-2010, 11:17 PM

:thinking:

Isn't Coach Rocket from New Mexico?;)

westcoast54
06-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Why not do what Vernon did back in the 90's. We had multiple offensive sets. We ran option, wing T, double wing, spread, shotgun. You name it and we had it in the play book.

Need to take a hard look at what Abiline Wylie does. They are a very multiple team. I love it!!!!

cr180t
06-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

Isn't Coach Rocket from New Mexico?;)

No Mexico

BILLYFRED0000
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
A spread is not that hard to stop if you have guys that can cover a pass. I've seen good teams line up 11 in the box against a wing-t and still get thrashed.
I have only seen bad defenses get thrashed. ONce again it comes down to the quality of the defense not type. Celina has never been thrashed by a running team but the spread has caused issues and not because of the passes but because of the way it spreads the defense and allows mismatches on the front seven when they try to cover more field with less bodies. We rarely get beat by the pass. It was always the long run with the corners deep down field covering guys.

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Celina never been thrashed by a running team??? Carthage says hello...

hawkfan
06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328

I think Liberty Hill would have something to say about that as well.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Beaten by Carthage & Liberty Hill? Yes. Thrashed? No way. And I am not a Celina fan.

runtowin
06-18-2010, 09:10 AM
06 LH 22 Cel 19 on last second FG. Celina was not thrashed.
08 Cel thrashed LH

GreenMonster
06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Why not do what Vernon did back in the 90's. We had multiple offensive sets. We ran option, wing T, double wing, spread, shotgun. You name it and we had it in the play book. The early to mid 90's Vernon teams I played against (Dexter Butler era) ran the I. Favorite plays included the draw, the lead, the trap, the toss sweep, the middle screen, the double screen, and the bomb. Just sayin

JasonTX
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The early to mid 90's Vernon teams I played against (Dexter Butler era) ran the I. Favorite plays included the draw, the lead, the trap, the toss sweep, the middle screen, the double screen, and the bomb. Just sayin

We ran what was needed to win. If the "I" was working, you'd never see the other stuff. We had it in the playbook and practiced it all but only showed the teams what we needed to in order to win. That helped us in the playoffs cause none of the teams had any scouting tapes of us running the other stuff.

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Carthage's ground game thrashed Celina...was the game close?? Yes...but that was because Celina's offense kept them in in...Dwight Smith ran over, around and by the Celina defense that night.....

LE Dad
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

Isn't Coach Rocket from New Mexico?;) Area 51...:D

hawkfan
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by runtowin
06 LH 22 Cel 19 on last second FG. Celina was not thrashed.
08 Cel thrashed LH

My bad. I thought celina was beat by LH twice. It was Gilmer I was thinking of who LH kicked the crap out of in 2007. Who, by the way, was a spread team.

garciap77
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
No Mexico

:eek: :eek: :eek:

westcoast54
06-18-2010, 01:13 PM

So do the 03 Gainesville Leopards.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Carthage's ground game thrashed Celina...was the game close?? Yes...but that was because Celina's offense kept them in in...Dwight Smith ran over, around and by the Celina defense that night.....

I judge a thrashing by the end result, called final score. That game was not a thrashing. I don't have the stats, but it was a good game that Carthage was just happy to win. It was also the closest game (score-wise) that Carthage had all year against a 3A team.

So Celina's offense doesn't count?

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Celina's defense got thrashed, they gave up big chunks of yards and had no answers for Carthage. The final score was close but Celina's defense got their heads handed to them that night.

2003 Gainesville is another example

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I just found the statistics. Based on running, it looks like both Troy McCartney (Celina) and Dwight Smith (Carthage) had quite a game. Just adding up total rushing yards, Celina had 281 yds and Carthage 262. Even the passing was close, Celina 18-24-1, 157 yds, Carthage 8-11-0 181 yards. Not much of a thrashing.

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING

(Celina) Troy McCartney 25-207, Charley Waldrep 14-79, Garrett Stephenson 1-3; Cody Worrell 7-(-8).

(Carthage) Dwight Smith 25-270; Jarvin Robinson 1-(-3); Si'Darius Blackshire 5-(-5).

PASSING

(Celina) Garrett Stephenson 10-11-0 86; Cody Worrell 7-11-1 64; Troy McCartney 1-2-0 7.

(Carthage) Si'Darius Blackshire 8-11-0 181.

RECEIVING

(Celina) Jose Romero 4-39, Troy McCartney 5-30, Andy James 2-25, Charley Waldrep 3-24, Austin Carey 2-20, Taylor Parker 1-9, Jamarick Simmons 1-8.

(Carthage) Trevor Murphy 2-73, Jarvin Robinson 2-38, Si'Darius Blackshire 1-34, Gary Nutt 1-19, Joe Jones 2-17.

SACKS

(Celina) Brock Babb 1.

(Carthage) Kendall Thompson 2, Caleb Pope 1.

TACKLES

(Celina) Brock Babb 8 (6 solo, 2 assists), Marcus Johnson 4 (2/2), Caleb Lavey 4 (2/2), Josh Lavey 3 (2/1), Austin Carey 3 (2/1), Sawyer Levit 3 (2/1), Jose Romero 2 (2/0), David Arogunmati 2 (2/0), Jay Perez 2 (1/1), Braden Buchanan 2 (1/1), Kyle Skaggs 1 (1/0), Brad Dahl 1 (0/1).

(Carthage) Kendall Thompson 9 (7/2), Caleb Pope 9 (6/3), Deshun Williams 8 (3/5), Trekevian McKee 8 (3/5), Joe Jones 7 (3/4), Denzel Ewin-Owens 6 (3/3), Anthony Morgan 6 (3/3), Jarvin Robinson 5 (3/2), Kyle Deaton 5 (3/2), Kentrevious Brantley 4 (1/3), Edward Pope 3 (2/1), Cardarius Patterson 3 (2/1), Leontay Webb 3 (2/1), Cortlyn Ware 2 (1/1).

FORCED FUMBLES

(Celina) Josh Lavey.

RECOVERED FUMBLES

(Celina) Jose Romero.

(Carthage) Jarvin Robinson.

INTERCEPTIONS

(Carthage) Kyle Deaton.

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
(Carthage) Dwight Smith 25-270

Thrashing right there, over 10 yards per carry. I've already quantified the statement, Celina's defense got thrashed.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 02:32 PM
(Carthage) Dwight Smith 25-270

Thrashing right there, over 10 yards per carry. I've already quantified the statement, Celina's defense got thrashed.

And Troy McCartney 207 yards. Guess Carthage's defense got thrashed also. Looks like we differ on what constitutes a thrashing. A thrashing to me would be domination by one team on offense and/or defense as well as the scoreboard.

Celina total offense 438 yards
Carthage total offense 443 yards

Takeways, 2-2.

Final score Carthage 49 Celina 37

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I just I quantified the statement by saying Celina's defense got thrashed.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Explain how -5 yards comparison is thrashed?

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM
This is strictly about Celina's defense, throw out what their offense did against Carthage.

Dwight Smith had nearly 300 yards rushing, their defense had no answers that night.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Again, we differ in out definition of a thrashing. Total offense can be used as a guage of how well the defense performed and both teams moved the ball well. The 2 Celina backs outrushed the 1 Carthage back and passing made up the difference. By your definition, if Celina had won the game, their defense still got thrashed even though total offense was virtually equal.

I apologize for hijacking a Vernon thread, too.

ronwx5x
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I have only seen bad defenses get thrashed. ONce again it comes down to the quality of the defense not type. Celina has never been thrashed by a running team but the spread has caused issues and not because of the passes but because of the way it spreads the defense and allows mismatches on the front seven when they try to cover more field with less bodies. We rarely get beat by the pass. It was always the long run with the corners deep down field covering guys.

I saw Celina beaten by the pass when they played Whitehouse in 2008. Certainly not a thrashing, but the Bobcats got burned by the pass in that game. Whitehouse 23 Celina 22.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I saw Celina's defense stop Vernon's Aston Whiteside who is a qualified stud. That was running out of the wing-t. Celina has had great teams and a great defense.

I also agree with matt in that 200 yards and a 10 yard per carry is a thrashing. I wasn't at that game and it is hard for me to even think of a Celina defense giving up so many yards, because they have been so good over the years.

Matthew328
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Celina Defense < Dwight Smith