PDA

View Full Version : UIL adds third A-2A playoff team

Blackcat1954
06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
AUSTIN – The number of teams advancing to the Conference 1A and 2A football playoffs will increase from two to three beginning this football season, the UIL announced Tuesday.

In a 2009 referendum ballot, Conference 1A and 2A superintendents across the state voted to divide football brackets into two divisions (Division I and Division II) prior to the start of the season. The result allowed only two teams from each district to advance to the football playoffs.

The new rule change allows three teams to advance from each district in the Conference 1A eleven-man and Conference 2A football playoffs and will go into effect immediately beginning with the 2010 football season with the first place team receiving a bye in the first round.

mwynn05
06-15-2010, 03:41 PM
beyond stupid.... if you take 3 you need to take 4

LE Dad
06-15-2010, 04:10 PM
So what % of teams are qualifying for playoffs now??

BEAST
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad

Hell, they outta just use the regular season games for playoff seedings. Then they could let eveyone in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
As a football junkie I dont understand people wanting LESS PLAY OFF TEAMS..more teams means more games.

The teams that deserve it will advance, those that dont will not

LE Dad
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
As a football junkie I dont understand people wanting LESS PLAY OFF TEAMS..more teams means more games.

The teams that deserve it will advance, those that dont will not The way this split was proposed initially, more teams would be in the playoffs, but since more teams were in the classification it lowered the % of teams. Now with this I am guessing 33-35% of the teams will qualify for playoffs. I don't necessarliy think it is a bad thing, but they should have just left the old system in place.

BEAST
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
The way this split was proposed initially, more teams would be in the playoffs, but since more teams were in the classification it lowered the % of teams. Now with this I am guessing 33-35% of the teams will qualify for playoffs. I don't necessarliy think it is a bad thing, but they should have just left the old system in place.

And be more careful when they are setting up districts. How many times do you see 4-6 and even 3-7 teams in the playoffs when 7-3 teams from killer districts sit at home? I know alot of it is due to geography but dang.

BEAST

GreenMonster
06-15-2010, 11:23 PM
I like it. :clap:

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2010, 05:04 AM
I don't know about %, since I didn't take the time to count the total number of teams, but the same # of teams will qualify that qualified before the split into divisions.

charlesrixey
06-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
And be more careful when they are setting up districts. How many times do you see 4-6 and even 3-7 teams in the playoffs when 7-3 teams from killer districts sit at home? I know alot of it is due to geography but dang.

BEAST

things do get crazy.

of course, some defenders will point to monahans in the late 1990's (they went 4-6 but finished 7-7 in the semis in d1) and WF Rider (who went 2-8 and finshed 4-9 in the regional final) but for every 4-6 to 7-7 there have been 30 or 40 3-8's and 4-7's.

Every year we like to point out the extremes of those who made it and didn't, but i guess as a positive it is better than when there was only 1 team from each district that made it and the percentage of playoff participation was around 10.

No easy answer, unfortunately

3afan
06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

The teams that deserve it will advance, those that dont will not

totally agree

Matthew328
06-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I like it, now there's a reward for winning district.

mwynn05
06-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I like it, now there's a reward for winning district. we hate the bye as basketball coaches....football is a different animal though

LE Dad
06-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
we hate the bye as basketball coaches....football is a different animal though
I think most FB coaches hate it also. I know of only 1 in our bye district last year that liked it and that was because he had several injured players.

LE Dad
06-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know about %, since I didn't take the time to count the total number of teams, but the same # of teams will qualify that qualified before the split into divisions. The big difference with the split is that they are having to drive further to play and it broke up some traditional district matchups. The main advantage is the teams are closer in enrollment #s. I don't really agree or disagree with the extra team being added, but I think it would have made more sense just to leave thing the way they were.

bbfan2010
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I think most FB coaches hate it also. I know of only 1 in our bye district last year that liked it and that was because he had several injured players.

We have had a bye the last 2 years for football and went to go and lose in the 2nd round so i don't like byes at all.

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2010, 05:17 PM
The big difference with the split is that they are having to drive further to play and it broke up some traditional district matchups. The main advantage is the teams are closer in enrollment #s. I don't really agree or disagree with the extra team being added, but I think it would have made more sense just to leave thing the way they were.
Yeah, but....that wasn't the question. :p

Hupernikomen
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM
So basically the superintendents get a vote and vote no...the uil let's it be no for one year and then does what they wanted to do in the beginning w/o asking this time around.