PDA

View Full Version : Are Tech and OSU about to be the fly in the ointment for the BIG 12-2?

vet93
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
There have been a few reports that Tech and OSU might not like the proposed revenue sharing which is slanted toward Texas/OU/A&M and are considering their options...Perhaps a bold move to the PAC 10...in hopes that the Big 12-2 would falter. I could see this upsetting the apple cart and causing some possible scenarios such as...
1) The Pac 10 expansion deal might be revisited with A&M heading to the SEC.
2) The Big 10 offering Texas/OU/A&M a spot

thoughts.... the speculations is fun and most likely delusional!

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I think it is pure rumor

ronwx5x
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think it is pure rumor

Makes perfect sense for Tech and OSU, therefore it will not happen. Neither school has any hope of controlling their destiny in the near future and will continue as stepchildren behind the big boys. Think how many $ they could pick up in revenues if they did move though. Might even be on TV every now and then.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Makes perfect sense for Tech and OSU, therefore it will not happen. Neither school has any hope of controlling their destiny in the near future and will continue as stepchildren behind the big boys. Think how many $ they could pick up in revenues if they did move though. Might even be on TV every now and then.

The way theyr were talking about the deal..the smaller paid schools CAN increase their revenue and they still are getting more than they would

I guess this option is better than a weaker conference with less revenue and I honestly think that would be only option for them without the big schools

NastySlot
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
ok i know with two schools less there should be more money for the one's left.....but where does all the other money promised come from and where was it before the nebraska and colorado left..................is it some sort of tv deal with espn now or what?

is the big 12-2 going get air time on tues/wed/fri night games on espn 2 or what?

LionKing
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by vet93
There have been a few reports that Tech and OSU might not like the proposed revenue sharing which is slanted toward Texas/OU/A&M and are considering their options...Perhaps a bold move to the PAC 10...in hopes that the Big 12-2 would falter. I could see this upsetting the apple cart and causing some possible scenarios such as...
1) The Pac 10 expansion deal might be revisited with A&M heading to the SEC.
2) The Big 10 offering Texas/OU/A&M a spot

thoughts.... the speculations is fun and most likely delusional! I didn't know Tech and OSU had ''other'' options, ''viable'' options that is.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
ok i know with two schools less there should be more money for the one's left.....but where does all the other money promised come from and where was it before the nebraska and colorado left..................is it some sort of tv deal with espn now or what?

is the big 12-2 going get air time on tues/wed/fri night games on espn 2 or what?

Well ESPN promised NOT to ask for lower fee when this contract comes up..so basically they are just taking the two schools fee and giving it to the ones left

Aesculus gilmus
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Once again, I am glad that Stump Godfrey of Gilmer went to New Mexico, a member of the more prestigious Mountain West Conference. And teammate Vance Green went to MWC member Colorado State.

Unfortunately Tristen Holt and Braylon Webb are headed to Fail 10 member Mizzou. I guess the good news is that they'll get to play in Texas more often than first thought.

ronwx5x
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
The way theyr were talking about the deal..the smaller paid schools CAN increase their revenue and they still are getting more than they would

I guess this option is better than a weaker conference with less revenue and I honestly think that would be only option for them without the big schools

Pretty sure the PAC10 would not even extend an offer to these two without Texas and OU.

vet93
06-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I think that you are right unless they are bold enough to think that they could offer these schools in hope that it would destroy what is left of the Big 12-2 conference and force Texas and OU to come to the Pac10 with them. The only problem with that scenario is that Texas and OU have enough clout that they could also be sucked up by the Big 10 and the Pac 10's gamble would backfire.

Originally posted by ronwx5x
Pretty sure the PAC10 would not even extend an offer to these two without Texas and OU.

vet93
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Reports out of Lubbock are that they have caved to the pressure and will stay with the Big 1 + 9.:(

Pmoney
06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I think this new deal should have been like the Big10's where everyone gets equal shares...but I understand why they need to sweeten the deal for Texas and OU but A&M? Why should they get the equal amount as Texas and OU...they haven't won a championship in a major sport in a while all they really have is the small revenue sports and academics...Now before everyone starts harping at me I am NOT trying to say A&M is a bad school...I just don't believe they should get more money.

Aesculus gilmus
06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
I think this new deal should have been like the Big10's where everyone gets equal shares...but I understand why they need to sweeten the deal for Texas and OU but A&M? Why should they get the equal amount as Texas and OU...they haven't won a championship in a major sport in a while all they really have is the small revenue sports and academics...Now before everyone starts harping at me I am NOT trying to say A&M is a bad school...I just don't believe they should get more money.

A&M held up the other two (well, they held up Texas, more specifically) for ransom with its flirtation with the SEC over the past week. Well-played, Ags. It may have been too well-played because most of Aggieland (90+ percent) is madder than hell that it turned out just to be a flirtation. They had their bags packed.

vet93
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
AG is right....A&M has a strong history in football despite recent mediocrity. They are top 20 in all time wins and have been ranked as one of the top 20 programs of all time based on history and wins. Couple that with a strong overall program in both mens and womens sports and a strong academics (Tier I, AAU member, Land/Sea/Space Grant University) and you can see why they were attractive. In addition A&M already has some rivalries with LSU and Arkansas and would fit in with the rabid fans of the SEC.

In addition the SEC saw adding A&M as a way that they could expand into Texas in regards to television sets and Recruiting.

I think that A&M to the SEC would have been a win for A&M, a win for the SEC and long-term a win for Collegiate Football in Texas. Having strong football teams in different conferences doesn't seem to hurt the Florida Schools...it actually seems to help them. On the short term it would not have been a win for UT because of recruiting but Texas will always get their fair share and I think having a strong A&M is better for both schools long-term. I don't think that A&M to the SEC would have changed much for the raiders, Bears or other Div. I Texas teams because UT still gets who they want and other national powers will continue to raid the state. The kids who want to go to Tech/Baylor etc.. are still going to go their despite what the Aggies do. I do think that it could have hurt OU considerably in recruiting. Sorry for the ramble...

oldtownag
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I understand why they need to sweeten the deal for Texas and OU but A&M? Why should they get the equal amount as Texas and OU...

Because A&M takes a back seat to no one.
A&M has a huge alumni.
Aggies supports the A&M Athletic Department.
We sell more tickets
More TV sets tune in our Games

But most important. We had options to go somewhere else!

Tech got an tag along invite this time (PAC 16) but no guarantee's for next time. You just might be in Baylors position if you don't step it up!

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
We sell more tickets
More TV sets tune in our Games

But most important. We had options to go somewhere else!

than who? And exactly what was the option? I have not read one thing that the SEC was actually going to invite A&M( not saying it was not happening) but all the chatter was form the A&M side

oldtownag
06-15-2010, 07:16 PM
than who?

Tech, Baylor, OSU, Missouri, Kansas, KSU, Iowa

Click here: Newspaper article that confirms Texas A&M SEC invite! (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/aggies/2010/06/so-long-sec-we-never-knew-ye.html)

vet93
06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I think that he should have tapped the breaks a little on the reply. A&M has the second largest following in Texas behind the Longhorns and this is with teams that have been mediocre for a decade or more. There are not many teams that can withstand that type of mediocrity and still have that kind of support. However, the Aggies will need to win like they need back in the mid eighties through the nineties for them to be considered a national contender.

than who? And exactly what was the option? I have not read one thing that the SEC was actually going to invite A&M( not saying it was not happening) but all the chatter was form the A&M side

oldtownag
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by vet93
However, the Aggies will need to win like they need back in the mid eighties through the nineties for them to be considered a national contender.

I will be the first to admit that our football program has been sub-par to say the least for a decade. A&M is elite in most sports other than football. We will be back. The tide will turn.

oldtownag
06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
P.S. A&M has as many Big 12 football championships as Tech, Baylor, OSU, Missouri, Kansas, KSU, & Iowa combined.

:bigcry:1