PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news....ESPN.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:18 PM
just reported that Texas will stay in the big 12.

?thought they could go where every they wanted but they chose to stay in a medicore setup wow.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:31 PM
add the aggies to the list ESPN just announced would be staying also............still living in the shadows..........hope the conference works...cause the next time the horns can chose which every conference they want to go to ....there may not be a sec offer for the aggies.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:33 PM
add ou to the list....just reported.

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Kind of disappointing to me honestly this has the potential to be a league with very little depth.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Kind of disappointing to me honestly this has the potential to be a league with very little depth.

I hear ya...........really thought texas to PAC and a&m to SEC wouldn't of been that bad.....this state without a doubt could of supported two schools in different conferences........hopefullly the brains of the two universities will go to work on trying to make the conference strong....cause when texas or ou run the table and are wondering why the bcs computer has them ranked below sec or pac schools......they should just remember this what they wanted.

but hey the conference has the makings of heck of baseball conference and a fairly decent basketball one..........maybe since iowa state doesn't play baseball the conference could invite Dallas Baptist....for baseball only.

coach
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I hear ya...........really thought texas to PAC and a&m to SEC wouldn't of been that bad.....this state without a doubt could of supported two schools in different conferences........hopefullly the brains of the two universities will go to work on trying to make the conference strong....cause when texas or ou run the table and are wondering why the bcs computer has them ranked below sec or pac schools......they should just remember this what they wanted.

but hey the conference has the makings of heck of baseball conference and a fairly decent basketball one..........maybe since iowa state doesn't play baseball the conference could invite Dallas Baptist....for baseball only.

dbu will never happen

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by coach
dbu will never happen

for baseball only...they could hold their own.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
for baseball only...they could hold their own.
Plus the religious affiliation isn't a problem... this isn't the apparently bigoted Pac-10...

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Plus the religious affiliation isn't a problem... this isn't the apparently bigoted Pac-10...

yes it is a private school so they may even have a few academic standards.....don't know about tier 1 status....but we can over look that since it's texas school...their culture might be a fit for us.

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 07:04 PM

but hey the conference has the makings of heck of baseball conference and a fairly decent basketball one..........maybe since iowa state doesn't play baseball the conference could invite Dallas Baptist....for baseball only. If there is a plan in action to go get two other schools to solidify the depth of the conference then Im ok with it if not then I think a mistake has been made.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 07:10 PM
If there is a plan in action to go get two other schools to solidify the depth of the conference then Im ok with it if not then I think a mistake has been made.

sounds good to me also....but the reality of it who could the conference invite?.........could work really hard to get Notre Dame? maybe Louisville they have made great strides in their athletic program. I don't think it will be possible to steal schools from the SEC , PAC 10, Big 10, ACC or even the MWC.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
the horns stand to make....$20-25 million plus revenue from their own network.....wow....guess it was worth staying in mediocre football conference.

makes sense to me.

sinton66
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Maybe Uncle Jerry can convince Arkansas.:D

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 07:29 PM
If there is a plan in action to go get two other schools to solidify the depth of the conference then Im ok with it if not then I think a mistake has been made. I think the Hogs may come but just a rumor.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 07:36 PM
so if arkansas comes back....makes me think the big 8 and swc should just merged years ago.

tcu, smu, rice and houston really lost out....even years later.

well maybe not tcu..they have done quite well.

bigwood33
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I know this may not be a real popular opinion but I cannot imagine the Big 12 inviting TCU, Houston, Louisville, BYU or Air Force to join the conference. Although they may all be competitive that isn't the point. I can promise you that the conference is not interested in adding competitive football teams. It is all about butts in seats and TV's and none of these teams have a significant fan base and they have NO national or particularly strong regional fan base. None of these help improve TV revenue. None of them help fill stadiums. I am quite sure that only large state universities and or Notre Dame would be of ANY interest to the Big 12 to consider for expansion.

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I know this may not be a real popular opinion but I cannot imagine the Big 12 inviting TCU, Houston, Louisville, BYU or Air Force to join the conference. Although they may all be competitive that isn't the point. I can promise you that the conference is not interested in adding competitive football teams. It is all about butts in seats and TV's and none of these teams have a significant fan base and they have NO national or particularly strong regional fan base. None of these help improve TV revenue. None of them help fill stadiums. I am quite sure that only large state universities and or Notre Dame would be of ANY interest to the Big 12 to consider for expansion. I agree, with the exception of TCU (if they continue to be nationally ranked)going with small schools just will not benefit you getting an NC shot.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I know this may not be a real popular opinion but I cannot imagine the Big 12 inviting TCU, Houston, Louisville, BYU or Air Force to join the conference. Although they may all be competitive that isn't the point. I can promise you that the conference is not interested in adding competitive football teams. It is all about butts in seats and TV's and none of these teams have a significant fan base and they have NO national or particularly strong regional fan base. None of these help improve TV revenue. None of them help fill stadiums. I am quite sure that only large state universities and or Notre Dame would be of ANY interest to the Big 12 to consider for expansion.

wow it's going to be a tough sale to try and pull schools to this conference.

something i've been wondering is where did all this money come from that's keeping the conference together? why didn't the conference come up with it before nebraska and colorado left?

jlwttu
06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
wow it's going to be a tough sale to try and pull schools to this conference.

something i've been wondering is where did all this money come from that's keeping the conference together? why didn't the conference come up with it before nebraska and colorado left?

That's what I want to know. Where was this tv deal that Beebe has conjured up before colorado and nebraska bolted?

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
the horns stand to make....$20-25 million plus revenue from their own network.....wow....guess it was worth staying in mediocre football conference.

makes sense to me.

correction...they stand to make $20-25 w/ their own network.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Does any of this even really matter though? I mean the world is going to end before the 2012 NC game lol :D

sinton66
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Hogs and LSU would be just fine with me.

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Man, I'm glad Stump Godfrey of Gilmer went to New Mexico of the superior Mountain West Conference rather than settle for the Small 10

Here what's even worse. Now there are NO DIVISIONS, so the Horns will have to travel to "beautiful" Ames, Manhattan and Lawrence EVERY OTHER YEAR rather once or twice a decade.

Pac 10 Commish Larry Scott is putting out the word that Texas flat-out reneged on a deal he had with them Friday. But Fox Sports stepped in over the weekend (fearing a megaconference out West it did NOT want to see happen because it was going to blow up and cause to be renegotiated deals it already had in place) and guaranteed Texas, OU and ATM all $20 million a year plus let Texas keep the possibility of its own network alive.

I will withdraw my comment I had made to someone the other day that Bill Powers is the greatest UT president of my lifetime, but I also have to think there were a lot of disgruntled legislators and other pols beginning to breathe down his neck. I feel sorry for Larry Scott, though. I'm sure Texas DID renege.

Someone on ESPN Austin made a good point a while ago. Scott should have pulled another Colorado and unconditionally offered membership to Tech Friday to further blow up the league. Then Texas really wouldn't have been able to hold it together over the weekend. My other thought, though, was that Tech is so minor that it really couldn't have accepted without calling Austin first.

Old Tiger
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Kind of disappointing to me honestly this has the potential to be a league with very little depth. Like the old Big East

bigwood33
06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Ya'll are out of your minds. Colorado hasn't been relevant for years (since McCartney coached there) and Nebraska has only recently mattered. The conference lost 1 big name program. It is still better than the Pac 10 (11) and Big 10 (12). Would it be better if the conference could expand? Sure, but not at any cost.

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 08:42 PM
If they don't add teams then this could be a mistake revenue wise. There is alot of money generated from the Big XII championship game and alot saved by reduced travel, not to mention losing non conference home game $$. I sure hope there is more to this story.

bigwood33
06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If they don't add teams then this could be a mistake revenue wise. There is alot of money generated from the Big XII championship game and alot saved by reduced travel, not to mention losing non conference home game $$. I sure hope there is more to this story.
Now, that is something that I CAN agree with!

Phil C
06-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Whew! I am so relieved. Some of you don't seem to understand the importance of this good news.

Green Bling
06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I realize I'm about to open myself up to ridicule, but why wouldn't it be a good idea to let TCU in since it just continues to gain strength?

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
I realize I'm about to open myself up to ridicule, but why wouldn't it be a good idea to let TCU in since it just continues to gain strength? If TCU can compete week in and week out with the A&Ms and TTs of the conference then they would be a good option, but if you can get names like Arkansas and LSU from a power conference that gives the Big XII instant credibility.

:D

jlwttu
06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Whew! I am so relieved. Some of you don't seem to understand the importance of this good news.

I guess it is good news if you are a horn. I can't say I'm too thrilled about the new Big XII-II conference and it's imbalanced revenue sharing deal.

Green Bling
06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If TCU can compete week in and week out with the A&Ms and TTs of the conference then they would be a good option, but if you can get names like Arkansas and LSU from a power conference that gives the Big XII instant credibility.

I'd love to see both of those schools in the conference. Ark. has top notch baseball and indoor and outdoor track facilities. Would be great to have in the conf.

bigwood33
06-14-2010, 10:12 PM
TCU will never get into the Big 12. They don't fill their own stadium (only 2 sellouts last season) and they don't travel at all. I know there is a lot of pride in the progress that they have made with the program but they bring nothing to the big stage. Inclusion in the Big 12, SEC, Big 10, etc have nothing to do with how good the program is. It has everything to do with revenue. Oh, by the way, Arkansas MAY have an interest in the Big 12 but LSU will not. Why would they?

Green Bling
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Another upside to Ark. coming into the conf. would be the revenue they bring in. The athletic program has been supporting the school and saving academic programs and prof jobs for awhile now.

bigwood33
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Another upside to Ark. coming into the conf. would be the revenue they bring in. The athletic program has been supporting the school and saving academic programs and prof jobs for awhile now.
can you say "Walmart money"? No doubt that their athletic programs are well funded.

Green Bling
06-14-2010, 10:29 PM
can you say "Walmart money"? No doubt that their athletic programs are well funded. You're right! Wal-Mart and Tyson are both huge for Ark!!

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry maybe I am the only one that doesn't understand why all these Aggies are upset with staying in the Big XII-II...someone please enlighten me as to why this is so bad.

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I'm sorry maybe I am the only one that doesn't understand why all these Aggies are upset with staying in the Big XII-II...someone please enlighten me as to why this is so bad. Go to the facebook group Texas A&M to the SEC they are losing their minds there... I think a lot of it has to do with their hate for Texas and they think Texas 1 uped them so to speak.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
yea i posed this question on my fb status and the first response i got from an Aggie was "why do people who arent affiliated with the university care?" lol upset much?

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
yea i posed this question on my fb status and the first response i got from an Aggie was "why do people who arent affiliated with the university care?" lol upset much? lol I think if some Aggies had their way only people who went to school at the universities would be able to watch the games. Every Aggie I know who went to A&M throws a t-shirt fan out of their mouth everytime I state I support UT.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
yea i posed this question on my fb status and the first response i got from an Aggie was "why do people who arent affiliated with the university care?" lol upset much?

just wondering what do you think are benefits of staying the big 12-2 for the aggies?

all weekend i heard how they needed texas and they would tag along with the horns. heard all week how texas was a good cultural fit for the PAC10 but the aggies weren't (what a step backwards in culture for the horns) heard how the aggies would get it handed to them in the sec (pretty much been getting in handed to us in the big 12 the last few years). Texas gets more money by keeping the aggies and the other little sisters in the conference.

i said all along i would be ok where ever the aggies went....it ain't going to change my life.........win, lose or draw i'll still wake up and have the same life......I can't speak for all aggies but I think having to listen to all this and that..kind of bashing from horn fans and alum and living in the shadows of their success aggies fans and alum probably thought it would be a good thing to finally "move out of the house."

so again why do you think the aggies should be happy about stay in the big 12-2 (or maybe they will rename it the Mediocre 10)?

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I didn't say they should be happy about staying in the whatever it is now...I just wanted to know why they were upset about not going to the SEC

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 11:51 PM
lol I think if some Aggies had their way only people who went to school at the universities would be able to watch the games. Every Aggie I know who went to A&M throws a t-shirt fan out of their mouth everytime I state I support UT.

i don't think it has anything to do with watching a game it's the smack talk and bashing of school by people who a lot times didn't go to college or another college yet pull for texas (or any major school)...

i once told a friend listening to to all that smack from t-shirt fans is like listening to those guys in high school that didn't play football or any sport tell you on monday after a loss you guys suck.

hey on my way to omaha i stopping in ft worth to get a tcu shirt to wear at the series.....but you won't her me bash the horns or the university or called the horn frogs my team......just supporting a texas school......and win or lose i won't get on the message boards bash the team s that beat tcu..

all schools have t-shirt fans....some just have more than others.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I didn't say they should be happy about staying in the whatever it is now...I just wanted to know why they were upset about not going to the SEC

ok...why should they be ok with staying in big 12-2 or Mediocre 10?......I think going to sec would of been a major step in trying to get out the shadow of the longhorns and a chance to try and build up athletic programs that are going through some serious budgets cuts and problems.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 11:56 PM
yea out of everyone that told me something, I only got that sensible response from one person and yea I agree that makes sense

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 11:58 PM
yea out of everyone that told me something, I only got that sensible response from one person and yea I agree that makes sense

was i that one sensible person?

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
haha you're the only 1 that had the same viewpoint as him

BaseballUmp
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
But I mean from everything I viewed on texags, Aggieland has gone to hell and they might as well not even play next year...some fans were even talking about boycotting the first game...smh

NastySlot
06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
But I mean from everything I viewed on texags, Aggieland has gone to hell and they might as well not even play next year...some fans were even talking about boycotting the first game...smh

all talk it will all die down i about a week and they'll go.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 05:56 AM

all schools have t-shirt fans....some just have more than others.

This is of course right..problem is, A&M fans act like they dont have any. I grew up in East Texas and I can promise you the ratio of Aggie T-Shirt fans to Longhorn T-shirt fans is at least 3-1.

You know what fans need to say about t-shirt fans? THANK YOU VERY MUCH...because those t-shirt fans are what drive up the revenue for schools

Aesculus gilmus
06-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
This is of course right..problem is, A&M fans act like they dont have any. I grew up in East Texas and I can promise you the ratio of Aggie T-Shirt fans to Longhorn T-shirt fans is at least 3-1.

You know what fans need to say about t-shirt fans? THANK YOU VERY MUCH...because those t-shirt fans are what drive up the revenue for schools

It WAS that way when you were growing up, but now it's at least 3-1 in favor of the Longhorns, even in East Texas. It's been amazing to watch this unfold. It began to change when Mack Brown was hired.

I disagree about the travel. I think this new alignment with no divisions may cause MORE travel for Texas. Is it any closer to Ames than it is to Tucson and Tempe? The misconception people had was that there were going to be all these long-distance trips to the West Coast when in fact there would have been only one per season.

My view of the Aggie meltdown is that ATM is sick of being "little brother" and thought a move to the SEC would be the "game changer" which would convince a lot of athletes currently going to UT and OU to come to College Station. I don't buy that, but I DO think the "Aggie Nation" should have been allowed to "SECede" as the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY (90+ percent) wanted. It's ironic that the Head Aggie whipped up the masses with talk of secession last year, but now says they must bow to the collective when it comes to this issue. What happened to "campus rights"?

As for culture, as a UT alum I feel a greater kinship with the West Coast and Rocky Mountain states than I do with people in Iowa and Kansas or even Missouri. I admit this is not not true of Aggieland. This whole episode has convinced me that there is another de facto Mason-Dixon line located somewhere between College Station and Austin.

icu812
06-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
It WAS that way when you were growing up, but now it's at least 3-1 in favor of the Longhorns, even in East Texas. It's been amazing to watch this unfold. It began to change when Mack Brown was hired.

I disagree about the travel. I think this new alignment with no divisions may cause MORE travel for Texas. Is it any closer to Ames than it is to Tucson and Tempe? The misconception people had was that there were going to be all these long-distance trips to the West Coast when in fact there would have been only one per season.

My view of the Aggie meltdown is that ATM is sick of being "little brother" and thought a move to the SEC would be the "game changer" which would convince a lot of athletes currently going to UT and OU to come to College Station. I don't buy that, but I DO think the "Aggie Nation" should have been allowed to "SECede" as the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY (90+ percent) wanted. It's ironic that the Head Aggie whipped up the masses with talk of secession last year, but now says they must bow to the collective when it comes to this issue. What happened to "campus rights"?

As for culture, as a UT alum I feel a greater kinship with the West Coast and Rocky Mountain states than I do with people in Iowa and Kansas or even Missouri. I admit this is not not true of Aggieland. This whole episode has convinced me that there is another de facto Mason-Dixon line located somewhere between College Station and Austin.

Totally agree with everything you said. Here in ET t-shirt fans are at least 3-1 in favor of UT. In the 80's and early 90's it was the other way around.

As far the culture goes I think you nailed it. However, the West coast states are a mess both economically and morally (and I've lived many years in several areas of CA and AZ). So I wouldn't be so quick for follow their lead.

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Totally agree with everything you said. Here in ET t-shirt fans are at least 3-1 in favor of UT. In the 80's and early 90's it was the other way around.

As far the culture goes I think you nailed it. However, the West coast states are a mess both economically and morally (and I've lived many years in several areas of CA and AZ). So I wouldn't be so quick for follow their lead. Actually Texas budget deficit is about the same as California (and Texas spends less per resident, interesting). The whole moral thing is a lifestyle choice, they'd likely regard the South with the same irreverence. As far as fit, yes, A&M was certainly a better fit with the SEC.

garciap77
06-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Actually Texas budget deficit is about the same as California (and Texas spends less per resident, interesting). The whole moral thing is a lifestyle choice, they'd likely regard the South with the same irreverence. As far as fit, yes, A&M was certainly a better fit with the SEC.

:thinking:

Perry's Mansion!!!!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/governors_mansion_before_thumb.jpg

:thinking:

coach
06-15-2010, 11:35 AM

boycott against SFA lmao