PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 vs. PS3 Pros/Cons

crzyjournalist03
06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm finally getting tired of the lack of quality sports games on the Wii, so I'm considering adding an Xbox 360 or PS3 to the house. I figure with Father's Day, my anniversary, and birthday being within a couple of months of each other, this is the best time for me to look into one.

My roommate had an original Xbox back when I was in college, and I liked it a lot, so I was thinking about going that route, but then I found out that current models of Xbox don't have Wifi unless you pony up more money for an adapter, and then there's the Xbox live annual fee too.

Primarily, I'm interested in sports games. NCAA Football, NHL hockey, Madden, baseball, etc. What are the pros and cons of each system in your opinions?

I already have a Blu-Ray player, so that's not really a benefit of the PS3 to me.

How do the quality of games for one system measure up to the other?

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I personally like the 360...GREAT online system.

crzyjournalist03
06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I personally like the 360...GREAT online system.

How much hard drive space do you think the average gamer needs? Would it be wise to buy a refurbished 20 GB model from Xbox and save some money, or is the 60 GB what you really need for full functionality?

Also, with E3 this week, I'm sure that a lot could change in the next few days pricing-wise, especially if Xbox releases the rumored Wi-fi ready slim edition.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
PS3 has better graphics IMO. Plus the online gaming is free.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm finally getting tired of the lack of quality sports games on the Wii, so I'm considering adding an Xbox 360 or PS3 to the house. I figure with Father's Day, my anniversary, and birthday being within a couple of months of each other, this is the best time for me to look into one.

My roommate had an original Xbox back when I was in college, and I liked it a lot, so I was thinking about going that route, but then I found out that current models of Xbox don't have Wifi unless you pony up more money for an adapter, and then there's the Xbox live annual fee too.

Primarily, I'm interested in sports games. NCAA Football, NHL hockey, Madden, baseball, etc. What are the pros and cons of each system in your opinions?

I already have a Blu-Ray player, so that's not really a benefit of the PS3 to me.

PS3 all the way, I've owned both consoles. Let me tell you about my experiences with both.

The Xbox360 I owned had problems keeping cool and I was scared to keep it on when I wasn't playing it. Further, I got the red ring of death on it. So has pretty much every one of my friends who has owned a 360.

My PS3 has been amazing. I keep it running for days at a time and it works like a charm. I've owned it for about 2-3 years now, and it's frozen up once or twice because of a dirty disc. In terms of what you can do, the PS3 does more. You can browse any website as the PS3 has full browser capability and watch videos. You can download other operating systems on it like Linux and use it on there as well. It has a Blu Ray, as you know, which is nice to have. The controllers stay charged longer. The PS3 exclusive titles, such as Uncharted 2, are leaps and bounds ahead of the graphics that anything on the 360 has to offer. Also, online gameplay is free. Xbox Live is a monthly fee, but you get it for free on the Playstation Network.

Graphics are a little better on the 360 for now, as it has been out longer and developers build on the 360 platform and convert it over to the PS3...this causes an unnoticeable drop in quality, but it is still equal in appearance. The only problem is that developers don't utilize the superior processing capabilities of the PS3 when they port the games over. PS3 hasn't reached its full potential yet, the 360 is very, very close. More developers are going to start developing games for PS3 only in the future, and they're going to look much better. In all, I would say go with a PS3, for the value you get more. Graphics and exclusive titles are awesome. And you don't have to pay for the premium online gameplay. If you want the new Halo game, then 360 is the way to go, but it's not worth it in my eyes.

rockdale80
06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
PS3 all the way, I've owned both consoles. Let me tell you about my experiences with both.

The Xbox360 I owned had problems keeping cool and I was scared to keep it on when I wasn't playing it. Further, I got the red ring of death on it. So has pretty much every one of my friends who has owned a 360.

My PS3 has been amazing. I keep it running for days at a time and it works like a charm. I've owned it for about 2-3 years now, and it's frozen up once or twice because of a dirty disc. In terms of what you can do, the PS3 does more. You can browse any website as the PS3 has full browser capability and watch videos. You can download other operating systems on it like Linux and use it on there as well. It has a Blu Ray, as you know, which is nice to have. The controllers stay charged longer. The PS3 exclusive titles, such as Uncharted 2, are leaps and bounds ahead of the graphics that anything on the 360 has to offer. Also, online gameplay is free. Xbox Live is a monthly fee, but you get it for free on the Playstation Network.

Graphics are a little better on the 360 for now, as it has been out longer and developers build on the 360 platform and convert it over to the PS3...this causes an unnoticeable drop in quality, but it is still equal in appearance. The only problem is that developers don't utilize the superior processing capabilities of the PS3 when they port the games over. PS3 hasn't reached its full potential yet, the 360 is very, very close. More developers are going to start developing games for PS3 only in the future, and they're going to look much better. In all, I would say go with a PS3, for the value you get more. Graphics and exclusive titles are awesome. And you don't have to pay for the premium online gameplay. If you want the new Halo game, then 360 is the way to go, but it's not worth it in my eyes.

Purchased my 360 when it first came out 5 years ago and it still works like a champion. No red ring and never a hiccup. Both are relatively the same so it is really just user preference. And I like Halo. :)

Ex-Tiger2005
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM

I just got a free 360 so I like it way better :D

Yoe_09
06-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Purchased my 360 when it first came out 5 years ago and it still works like a champion. No red ring and never a hiccup. Both are relatively the same so it is really just user preference. And I like Halo. :)

I have also had my original Xbox for about 5 years or more and my 360 for a few and they both work perfectly. I would go with the 360.

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by snake_attack
PS3 has better graphics IMO. Plus the online gaming is free. I agree.

Farmersfan
06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I have not owned a PS3 but have had a 360 for some time now. No issues at all. I use my Xbox to play my downloaded AVI movies. I use a USB switch to switch a external 1 TB harddrive from the desktop to the 360. The 360 will browse and play all the movies as long as the external hard drive is formated Fat32. It will not recognize NTFS............... If you have a good sound system hooked up to your TV you can use the Xbox as a Ipod dock also. I have wireless headphones on my TV and when I play my Ipod music through the Xbox and through the headphones it is amazing sound. It really helps during the workout on the eliptical. I don't know if the PS3 will do either of these.... anyone?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I have not owned a PS3 but have had a 360 for some time now. No issues at all. I use my Xbox to play my downloaded AVI movies. I use a USB switch to switch a external 1 TB harddrive from the desktop to the 360. The 360 will browse and play all the movies as long as the external hard drive is formated Fat32. It will not recognize NTFS............... If you have a good sound system hooked up to your TV you can use the Xbox as a Ipod dock also. I have wireless headphones on my TV and when I play my Ipod music through the Xbox and through the headphones it is amazing sound. It really helps during the workout on the eliptical. I don't know if the PS3 will do either of these.... anyone?

You can connect to your PC through your PS3, never tried with an iPod because our surround sound has an input port for it. You can hook up external hard drives as well. Hardware wise, PS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 360, plain and simple. No issues with it at all, and nobody I know who has one has had problems either. It is Wifi compatible out of the box, and you can connect Bluetooth to it as well. Read up on the features, it's by far the better buy of the two. I've owned by Xbox models so I'm not just a Sony fanboy, I've used them both.

DDBooger
06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I have both, I really don't have a complaint for either console. Online reliability BY FAR goes to 360. You pay for it, but it's stable and the network has never gone down on me. Whereas the PS3 does so much more frequently. PS3 provides me with a Blu-Ray. Both can run with external hard drives for extra space. The 360 can run Netflix w/o a disc unlike PS3/Wii. Ergonomically I prefer the 360 controller. It does seem that 360 gets the better coverage with games as tournaments are normally held with the 360 and things like MW2 resurgence pack are only purchasable on the 360. You really won't go wrong with either. Check what your friends have and you can think about purchasing the same console.

Emerson1
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
How much hard drive space do you think the average gamer needs? Would it be wise to buy a refurbished 20 GB model from Xbox and save some money, or is the 60 GB what you really need for full functionality?

Also, with E3 this week, I'm sure that a lot could change in the next few days pricing-wise, especially if Xbox releases the rumored Wi-fi ready slim edition.
You don't need 60 GB unless you plan on downloading a bunch of crap. I have the 20 GB and have never had it full. I usually only have 1 game though, I will install NCAA on it, then sell NCAA and delete it then I have room again.

If you are going to be playing multiple games at once and want them all installed you might wanna go 60gb.

And if you like playing online then $50 a year for a vastly superior online system is well worth it. Playstation network is a joke and you get what you pay for.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I've only had the PS3 network go down on me a few times in the three years that I've had it. Xbox Live has went down just as often in the same time frame. There aren't as many hiccups with it as 360 fanboys would try to convince you of. There is little difference between the online networks when it comes down to it, the 360 has a larger user base so it has more people online, but I've never had a problem finding opponents on the PS3. The Resurgence Pack will also come out on the PS3 eventually I believe.

Old Tiger
06-14-2010, 05:13 PM
360 elite if you are going 360.

bobcat4life
06-14-2010, 06:26 PM
PS2. Ive had mine for about 9 1/2 years and never had problems with it

Emerson1
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
360 elite if you are going 360.
Or wait for the new 360 slim

crzyjournalist03
06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Or wait for the new 360 slim

That's a consideration for me...especially if the rumored $250 and WiFi ready capabilities come with it. I'm also interested to see what will happen to the cost of the current models if/when the slim is announced.

Another thing I've considered is buying a 20 GB refurb with the Xbox 1-year warranty. Those come with 2 wireless controllers for $199 and supposedly have the Jasper system in them to prevent RROD.

I did have a roommate who had a PS2 when I was in college too, and it was pretty comparable to regular xBox. I just don't know a lot of people that have PS3, so that's why I was wanting some opinions.

goosealaniz
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
pros for 360

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/surprise-slimmed-down-quieter-black-xbox-360-launches-this-week/1402111

charlesrixey
06-15-2010, 07:06 AM
That's a consideration for me...especially if the rumored $250 and WiFi ready capabilities come with it. I'm also interested to see what will happen to the cost of the current models if/when the slim is announced.

Another thing I've considered is buying a 20 GB refurb with the Xbox 1-year warranty. Those come with 2 wireless controllers for $199 and supposedly have the Jasper system in them to prevent RROD.

I did have a roommate who had a PS2 when I was in college too, and it was pretty comparable to regular xBox. I just don't know a lot of people that have PS3, so that's why I was wanting some opinions.

what XBL said was that the new system would have 250 GB HD, built in wifi and would likely cost $299

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
What reasons would there be to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3? Better hardware, more features, more reliable system in the PS3.

Old Tiger
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
What reasons would there be to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3? Better hardware, more features, more reliable system in the PS3. Better games and more games. IMO the interface of the 360 is better.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Better games and more games. IMO the interface of the 360 is better.

What game does the 360 have that the PS3 doesn't? Halo? Try coming and playing Uncharted 2 and the other PS3 exclusives. Missing out on those to play Halo isn't worth it. Call of Duty is better than Halo.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What reasons would there be to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3? Better hardware, more features, more reliable system in the PS3. [/QUOTE

one of the reasons IMO is games that are on both platform consistently get higher marks for graphics on the 360 compared to the PS3 even with the PS3 supposed to be having better hardware

Old Tiger
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
What game does the 360 have that the PS3 doesn't? Halo? Try coming and playing Uncharted 2 and the other PS3 exclusives. Missing out on those to play Halo isn't worth it. Call of Duty is better than Halo. I've played Modern Warfare 2 on both systems...the ps3 players are no where good as the 360 players.

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Gears of War > Uncharted

Ps3 is good if you are a casual gamer and needed a blu ray player.

If you are a serious gamer and love to play online there is no reason to get a ps3. The $4 a month online is well worth the vastly superior online that is Xbox live.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What reasons would there be to buy an Xbox 360 over a PS3? Better hardware, more features, more reliable system in the PS3. [/QUOTE

one of the reasons IMO is games that are on both platform consistently get higher marks for graphics on the 360 compared to the PS3 even with the PS3 supposed to be having better hardware

The reason for this is simple, the Xbox 360 has been out longer. That gives developers more knowledge of the system and they build the games with the standards of the 360 in mind. Then they port it over to PS3. It doesn't utilize the hardware of the PS3 and the quality drops when it is ported. PS3 exclusive titles are leaps and bounds ahead of the 360. Uncharted 2 got game of the year and I'm pretty sure it got 10 out of 10, along with Metal Gear Solid 4, on IGN.com, which is better than Gears of War did. Not for the casual gamer at all.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
The reason for this is simple, the Xbox 360 has been out longer. That gives developers more knowledge of the system and they build the games with the standards of the 360 in mind. Then they port it over to PS3. It doesn't utilize the hardware of the PS3 and the quality drops when it is ported. PS3 exclusive titles are leaps and bounds ahead of the 360. Uncharted 2 got game of the year and I'm pretty sure it got 10 out of 10, along with Metal Gear Solid 4, on IGN.com, which is better than Gears of War did. Not for the casual gamer at all.

Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2 were both 9.5 on IGN.com, but Uncharted 2 won numerous game of the year awards and perfect and near perfect scores.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Gears of War > Uncharted

Ps3 is good if you are a casual gamer and needed a blu ray player.

If you are a serious gamer and love to play online there is no reason to get a ps3. The $4 a month online is well worth the vastly superior online that is Xbox live.

Where are the online differences? I had Xbox Live for a lot shorter than I have had my PS3 and had the same number of network errors. The Playstation Network is just as good as Xbox Live, and it's free. That's the only tired excuse Xbox fanboys have to left to try to make when comparing the two, because when you do the PS3 is a superior console, hands down.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I've played Modern Warfare 2 on both systems...the ps3 players are no where good as the 360 players.

I'd mop the floor with you in COD on either console.

Old Tiger
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd mop the floor with you in COD on either console. Probably so but my K/D on the 360 was 1.3

When I played on the ps3 it was close to 1.8

snake_attack
06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Probably so but my K/D on the 360 was 1.3

When I played on the ps3 it was close to 1.8

But you need to take into consideration of how long you play with each console or when u startin playin. It is hard to bump up your K/D if u have played for a long time. When i started playin my K/D was in the .7s and now its like 1.25. If i start all over im pretty sure my K/D will be like 1.7/8. Its just science.

garciap77
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I'd mop the floor with you in COD on either console.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/big/big-smiley-002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/free-big-smiley.php)

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Where are the online differences? I had Xbox Live for a lot shorter than I have had my PS3 and had the same number of network errors. The Playstation Network is just as good as Xbox Live, and it's free. That's the only tired excuse Xbox fanboys have to left to try to make when comparing the two, because when you do the PS3 is a superior console, hands down.

You call that a tired excuse..yet you still say oh the 360 came out earlier so it is easier for 3rd party developers..maybe when the Ps3 first came out yes..but it has been FIVE YEARS since the ps3 came out.

You mention some of the exclusive content..BOTH have great ones..360 has of course mentioned Halo, but also the LEft 4 Dead collection the GTA liberty City saga

IMO you cant go wrong with either..I just personally prefer the 360

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I attempted to plug my ipod into my friends ps3, it found it, but showed me as having no music.

Same with a flash drive, couldn't get my video to play. Worked just fine on the 360.

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I attempted to plug my ipod into my friends ps3, it found it, but showed me as having no music.

Same with a flash drive, couldn't get my video to play. Worked just fine on the 360. I've played both movies and music off an external on PS3.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 12:59 PM
You call that a tired excuse..yet you still say oh the 360 came out earlier so it is easier for 3rd party developers..maybe when the Ps3 first came out yes..but it has been FIVE YEARS since the ps3 came out.

You mention some of the exclusive content..BOTH have great ones..360 has of course mentioned Halo, but also the LEft 4 Dead collection the GTA liberty City saga

IMO you cant go wrong with either..I just personally prefer the 360

When you're building a game that will reach both platforms, which would you rather do, build a game that you can use on both, or build one game on the superior system (PS3) and then have to build it again for the 360 because it can't be played due to hardware limitations?

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I have both, but I'm not a hard core gamer so I couldn't give a nod to one over the other. I like the 360 more out of convenience when using instant Netflix.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Same with a flash drive, couldn't get my video to play. Worked just fine on the 360.

I've done both with my PS3. Worked just fine.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
But you need to take into consideration of how long you play with each console or when u startin playin. It is hard to bump up your K/D if u have played for a long time. When i started playin my K/D was in the .7s and now its like 1.25. If i start all over im pretty sure my K/D will be like 1.7/8. Its just science.

I was terrible when I first started playing simply because I had never played Call of Duty before. I was -900 by the time I was able to Prestige. Now I'm +600 and have Prestiged once to level 37.

Old Tiger
06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
But you need to take into consideration of how long you play with each console or when u startin playin. It is hard to bump up your K/D if u have played for a long time. When i started playin my K/D was in the .7s and now its like 1.25. If i start all over im pretty sure my K/D will be like 1.7/8. Its just science. I started playing on a friends account before I finally picked up the game.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
So it looks like the Xbox 360 Arcade is now marked down to $149.99, and Target/Walmart have had bundles that include a $50 gift card with them.

Would that be a smart move to get an arcade, then use a USB flash drive for memory and buy the Wifi component? Or is it still probably better off going with one with a hard drive already built in?

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 01:23 PM
So it looks like the Xbox 360 Arcade is now marked down to $149.99, and Target/Walmart have had bundles that include a $50 gift card with them.

Would that be a smart move to get an arcade, then use a USB flash drive for memory and buy the Wifi component? Or is it still probably better off going with one with a hard drive already built in? Would you consider yourself a big gamer? Is it something you'll spend hours on end doing? Most importantly, do you have a girlfriend? lol :D Cause if so, might as well low-ball it.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Would you consider yourself a big gamer? Is it something you'll spend hours on end doing? Most importantly, do you have a girlfriend? lol :D Cause if so, might as well low-ball it.

I play my Wii every night from about 10-11:30 p.m. I do have a wife and two-year-old daughter.

Are there noticeable performance differences between using a flash drive for memory versus a built-in hard drive?

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Just wait for this new slim version to come out

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I play my Wii every night from about 10-11:30 p.m. I do have a wife and two-year-old daughter.

Are there noticeable performance differences between using a flash drive for memory versus a built-in hard drive? I don't believe the arcade version comes with HDMI, if you want to maximize the graphics and what not, do as Emerson says and wait for the slim or buy the Elite if it's cheaper.

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
HDMI really doesn't matter. 1 out of every 20 games is in 1080p, the rest in 720p and some in 1080i.

99IHSMustang
06-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I am an avid console gamer and here is may take. First of all I have never owned an Xbox or Xbox360 so I have no first hand experiences with this system.

The PS3 has the capability to run on multiple operating systems and the Xbox 360 doesn't (most non-tech savvy people could care less). The PS3 allows you to upgrade your internal hard drive (I upgraded to a 320 GB on the first generation PS3!). Unfortunately, from what I have read this would void the warranty and potentially get you banned from online play if you did this on the Xbox 360. Of course the PS3 has the Blue-Ray player and Bluetooth built in. Xbox 360 has a greater game selection. Each system has its exclusives that play and look very well. Xbox 360 has had tons of RROD's and the few people that I know that had an Xbox 360 experienced at least 1 RROD console. I have the first generation PS3 and have had no problems. Each console allows you to connect to a media server and has online capability. PS3 Free and Xbox 360 Live not free, but you more than likely get more content from XBox360 Live since you are paying for it.

I chose the PS3 because they took the innovative approach in regards to hardware. Their biggest problem was the price point. Who wanted to originally spend 600 bones? The cell processor on the PS3 has it limits, but has not yet been fully tapped to its potential.

I am sure there is tons more of stuff for each console that I could come up with, but likes others have mentioned it may just come down preference. Just do your research.

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I thought the latest update deactivated Linux on the ps3? I heard there was a lawsuit being brought up

99IHSMustang
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought the latest update deactivated Linux on the ps3? I heard there was a lawsuit being brought up

I believe you are correct. That is if you decided to run the update.. :D

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Price point is the main reason that I'm looking more toward the xBox right now than the PS3...there's still about a $100 gap for comparable systems.

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
You will be able to stream ESPN 3 through the 360 later this year

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/business/media/15espn.html?src=busln

Wish it was now so I could watch the World Cup in my room.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
You will be able to stream ESPN 3 through the 360 later this year

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/business/media/15espn.html?src=busln

Wish it was now so I could watch the World Cup in my room.

You don't get ESPN 3 on your computer?

Emerson1
06-15-2010, 03:42 PM
You don't get ESPN 3 on your computer?
Computer not in my room and my pc doesn't have a 42" screen :D

Old Tiger
06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
espn 3 would be a seller for me. You get all the sporting events ESPN offers plus many more that they do not.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I found out last night that my dad has an extra 20 GB refurbished 360 that he bought over a year ago that he's never taken out of the box. He originally bought it for his business, but hasn't used it yet. I may see if he'd be willing to sell it to me since he hasn't used it, although with it being over a year since he bought it, I'm a little concerned because the xBox warranty would have expired by now.

Txbroadcaster
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I found out last night that my dad has an extra 20 GB refurbished 360 that he bought over a year ago that he's never taken out of the box. He originally bought it for his business, but hasn't used it yet. I may see if he'd be willing to sell it to me since he hasn't used it, although with it being over a year since he bought it, I'm a little concerned because the xBox warranty would have expired by now.

u can extend em

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I found out last night that my dad has an extra 20 GB refurbished 360 that he bought over a year ago that he's never taken out of the box. He originally bought it for his business, but hasn't used it yet. I may see if he'd be willing to sell it to me since he hasn't used it, although with it being over a year since he bought it, I'm a little concerned because the xBox warranty would have expired by now. You can check the status of the warranty by going to the Xbox website and entering the serial number. I believe they extended warranties for 3 years. I don't know if that ended prior to your father's purchase or if it is still going.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
You can check the status of the warranty by going to the Xbox website and entering the serial number. I believe they extended warranties for 3 years. I don't know if that ended prior to your father's purchase or if it is still going.

ah...good info...I'll check on that if he's willing to part with it. Considering he hasn't opened the box in over a year, I really don't know what he has planned for it, but it's worth a shot.

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
ah...good info...I'll check on that if he's willing to part with it. Considering he hasn't opened the box in over a year, I really don't know what he has planned for it, but it's worth a shot. I suffered the RROD after 2 1/2 years. My Best Buy warranty was up so I took a shot and checked and sure enough I had a few months left after they extended warranties.

Heck, UPS has prepackaged boxes for the 360, it was so bad. I hadn't said anything and the guy at the counter just shot me the price for packaging it, delivery was paid.

crzyjournalist03
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Do they have 3-year warranties on refurbs though? That may be the issue.

eagleqb_14
06-15-2010, 11:24 PM

How do the quality of games for one system measure up to the other? 360 is 20 times better. xbox live is great

DDBooger
06-15-2010, 11:26 PM
ddbooger is my handle on both networks if anyone wants ball :devil:

orange machine
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
My cousin has owned 2 xbox's and both of them got to hot and quite working. He bought a xbox 360 about a year ago and is having problems with the hard drive working. He and i just talked about the difference between the ps3 and the xbox 360, he said he would never buy another xbox 360 again and would buy the ps3 next. Ive played both systems and i like the ps3 much better. I hate the xbox controller where the playstation controller has not changed.

Old Tiger
06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
My cousin has owned 2 xbox's and both of them got to hot and quite working. He bought a xbox 360 about a year ago and is having problems with the hard drive working. He and i just talked about the difference between the ps3 and the xbox 360, he said he would never buy another xbox 360 again and would buy the ps3 next. Ive played both systems and i like the ps3 much better. I hate the xbox controller where the playstation controller has not changed. This lets met know you probably have been a playstation player for many years possibly dating back. I was the same way....I had a playstation and then a playstation 2. I never did like the original xbox controller because it was too big and bulky but since I started playing the 360 I like it a lot more and the controller is smaller. I purchased the 360 the day after graduating HS and I've had the RROD about 4 times but they just send you a rerurbished xbox when that happens and your warranty gets extended 3 years. Now days the 360s are made with a Jasper chip which is supposed to prevent the RROD

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Well, after some more research and talking to some friends, I'm pretty sure that the route I'm going to go is for the new Xbox 360 slim. The fact that I have more friend with 360s, meaning I can play with them, in addition to my research showing that RROD isn't really an issue anymore with newer systems eases the concerns I had. With the other questions that I had between the PS3/Xbox being fairly even, that's what leads me to the decision of an Xbox. (The ESPN3 announcement didn't hurt either!)

Now, the only problem is, my wife is far less on board with me getting a 360 than I thought she would be. So it looks like the only way I'm going to get one is to sell some of my old stuff to try to raise the money to pay for it and save money that I get as gifts.

So if anybody's in the market for a Sega Dreamcast system, memory cards and about a dozen games, you can have them all for a cool $299. :D Original MSRP on these items is probably close to $800, so this is a steal people!!!

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 03:12 PM

So if anybody's in the market for a Sega Dreamcast system, memory cards and about a dozen games, you can have them all for a cool $299. :D Original MSRP on these items is probably close to $800, so this is a steal people!!!

sorry but with dreamcast titles to be avaliable on Live and PSN your console just plummeted in value

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
sorry but with dreamcast titles to be avaliable on Live and PSN your console just plummeted in value

How long ago did that happen?

Well, in that case, I'll be setting up a paypal account for people to donate money to me to help raise the funds.

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 03:16 PM
How long ago did that happen?

Well, in that case, I'll be setting up a paypal account for people to donate money to me to help raise the funds.

June 10th it was announced

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
June 10th it was announced

Dang...I hadn't heard that...I didn't really expect to get anywhere near that much to start with, but I was hoping I'd end up with $50-$75 for it all...I had actually forgotten that I had it until I started thinking of things to get rid of to raise some cash.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Someone just told me that the only reason for the bigger hard drives are for storing games actually on the hard drive...so what's the advantage to that over actually using the discs?

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Someone just told me that the only reason for the bigger hard drives are for storing games actually on the hard drive...so what's the advantage to that over actually using the discs?

easier on the system..still have to put disk in but it loads it from the hard drive instead of the disc

but each game does not take up a ton of space

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
easier on the system..still have to put disk in but it loads it from the hard drive instead of the disc

but each game does not take up a ton of space

Do you think the slim is worth it?

If games don't take much space, couldn't you buy an Arcade (which Target now has spring bundles for $130 + a $50 gift card), then buy a wireless adapter for ~$50 and then buy a hard drive or flash drive for another ~$50? It would come to about $180 that way for similar capabilities since the spring 2010 arcades have HDMI, right? Or am I missing something?

Emerson1
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
It will make it run cooler and a lot quieter too.

I usually only play 1 game at a time regularly. So 20 GB has always been enough for me I just delete the game I am done playing.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
It will make it run cooler and a lot quieter too.

I usually only play 1 game at a time regularly. So 20 GB has always been enough for me I just delete the game I am done playing.

But what advantage does cooler have? I'm guessing it helps prevent overheating? But isn't that covered under warranty?

Txbroadcaster
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
But what advantage does cooler have? I'm guessing it helps prevent overheating? But isn't that covered under warranty?

still dont want it messing up and taking away gaming time

Emerson1
06-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Less heat is pumped into your room. When I am playing in my room with the TV and xbox on it's 10* hotter in there.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Bought myself a 360 Arcade from Target this evening. With the price drop, plus error in Target's ad leading the company to drop another $20, I couldn't pass up a 360 for $80 + tax. The manufacturer's date on it is 4-2-10, so it's a Jasper system (cooler) and has an HDMI port built in.

So now I just need to find myself a hard drive and wireless adapter, and I should be set.

Do you guys think the wireless adapters and hard drives will be getting cheaper in the near future as a result of the new 250GB drives with Wifi built in?

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh, I also just thought of another question...it may be a bit more technical.

I have Verizon Fios, and the TV cord is right where I'll be hooking the Xbox up. Does anybody know if since it's all fiber optic, do internet and TV come through the same outlets in a house? If so, is there a way to split them so I could have the TV and Xbox plugged into the same outlet so that I wouldn't need a wireless adapter?

Old Tiger
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Bought myself a 360 Arcade from Target this evening. With the price drop, plus error in Target's ad leading the company to drop another $20, I couldn't pass up a 360 for $80 + tax. The manufacturer's date on it is 4-2-10, so it's a Jasper system (cooler) and has an HDMI port built in.

So now I just need to find myself a hard drive and wireless adapter, and I should be set.

Do you guys think the wireless adapters and hard drives will be getting cheaper in the near future as a result of the new 250GB drives with Wifi built in? just run a chord into the back up it. IMO the wireless lags. try EBAY for a hard drive.

Emerson1
06-18-2010, 12:58 AM
When I played wireless I had some non-gaming wireless adapter. It just plugged in and kind of looked like a router with an antenna and everything.

I wouldn't recommend it for sports games. The lag was noticeable on sports games, but not so much others.

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Took an unopened copy of Acme Arsenal for Wii that I had gotten for Christmas and traded it in for Batman: Arkham Asylum...it was an even trade...Acme Arsenal was rated as one of the ten worst games ever on the Wii. I can't believe Walmart gave me a $50 credit for it.

crzyjournalist03
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, I've now got an HDMI cable, a 120GB hard drive, and a wireless adapter on the way. My next investment will most likely be an Xbox Live Gold membership...do you need a headset to play online? I mean, I'm sure for FPS games it's helpful, but do you have to have it?

Emerson1
06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
You don't have to have it, but it's a lot funner with it.

And you better have not paid more then $5 for your HDMI cable.

crzyjournalist03
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
You don't have to have it, but it's a lot funner with it.

And you better have not paid more then $5 for your HDMI cable.

No, I didn't. I grabbed one off of Amazon.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Why would you even post this thread when you knew you were getting a 360 from the beginning anyways?

crzyjournalist03
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Why would you even post this thread when you knew you were getting a 360 from the beginning anyways?

I didn't know...I was leaning toward the 360, but I was definitely open if I could determine that a PS3 was the better option. I started this thread last Monday, before it was announced that the current generation 360 models were being reduced. Then, in the middle of the week, I found out that Target had a $50 gift card with the purchase of the Arcade model.

When it came down to spending $80 for the system plus about $100 in upgrades, $180 was a lot easier to stomach than the $299 tag for a PS3.

Although I was about 60/40 on the side of getting a 360, I honestly didn't think it would even happen for a month or two. But after I posted this thread on Monday, I found out about the new price point on Tuesday, then I found out about the deal at Target on Thursday, and that made enough of a difference for me to jump on it.

Emerson1
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Amazon has Live for $35 all the time.

Old Tiger
06-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Why would you even post this thread when you knew you were getting a 360 from the beginning anyways? Don't be mad cause he didn't pick the system you wanted him to.

Old Tiger
06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Well, I've now got an HDMI cable, a 120GB hard drive, and a wireless adapter on the way. My next investment will most likely be an Xbox Live Gold membership...do you need a headset to play online? I mean, I'm sure for FPS games it's helpful, but do you have to have it? You don't necessarily need a headset but it makes it fun to crap talk and somewhat communicate with your team members in certain games.

Emerson1
06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Just get one by the time NCAA comes out and we have have ourselves a Downlow tournament.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Don't be mad cause he didn't pick the system you wanted him to.

I could care less if he wants to play on an inferior gaming console. That's not my problem or loss.

Emerson1
06-21-2010, 06:40 PM
He isn't playing on an inferior game console. He had no need for features like blu ray.

He got the inferior entertainment system.

He got the superior gaming console.

crzyjournalist03
06-21-2010, 06:55 PM
for anybody who's planning on buying NCAA football 11, Dell will let you preorder it for $39.99:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/XBOX_360/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3822510&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643&acd=10550055-1225267-u0t0f0fp35742c0s441

crzyjournalist03
06-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Quick question guys...I bought a used HDD from eBay, and it should arrive any day. Should I format the hard drive when I receive it? Is there any danger of my console getting banned if the hard drive came from a banned console (obviously there's no way for me to know where it came from)?