PDA

View Full Version : Parasailing

Farmersfan
06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Anybody on the forum ever parasail? I have an opportunity to rent a parasail for our family vacation at the lake over the 4th of July weekend. There will be a lot of young adults (probably drinking) and I am worried about accidents and safety. How easy is it and is it really as dangerous as it looks???? Any comments welcome.

ronwx5x
06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Anybody on the forum ever parasail? I have an opportunity to rent a parasail for our family vacation at the lake over the 4th of July weekend. There will be a lot of young adults (probably drinking) and I am worried about accidents and safety. How easy is it and is it really as dangerous as it looks???? Any comments welcome.

I did it twice in the military, once from land behind a jeep and once off the back of a boat. I also did it once in Mexico about 1 1/2 years ago. It's great fun, but I prefer the military ones as they were quite a bit more adventuresome!

I would definitely want some instructions prior to me pulling someone up and bringing them back down. There would be tremendous liability on your part if something went wrong. You better not be drinking if you are the responsible party.

Farmersfan
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I did it twice in the military, once from land behind a jeep and once off the back of a boat. I also did it once in Mexico about 1 1/2 years ago. It's great fun, but I prefer the military ones as they were quite a bit more adventuresome!

I would definitely want some instructions prior to me pulling someone up and bringing them back down. There would be tremendous liability on your part if something went wrong. You better not be drinking if you are the responsible party.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. It might be the responsible thing to nix the parasailing. We still have skiing, tubing and wake boarding. It just seemed like a very fun thing to do. I might have enough of a headache on my hands keeping a bunch of 20ish drunk people out of trouble without adding parasailing. Wise advice ronwx5x! Thanks.

Which reminds me: Anyone ever been out to the Islands party on Texoma during the 4th of July???? It sometimes turns into quite a wild party.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I might have enough of a headache on my hands keeping a bunch of 20ish drunk people out of trouble without adding parasailing.

21+ish drunk people right :D

Farmersfan
06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
21+ish drunk people right :D

MY BAD!!!!! 21ish drunk people!!!!!!

thanks ump!

AP Panther Fan
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
LOL. I went fishing with my husband on Memorial Day near Port Aransas and was watching them (the guys that you hire) pull a couple of women around. Everytime the parachute would start to lower towards the water, one girl would start laughing and screaming "I can't swim".....

:D

Anyway, it looked like it might take a considerable bit of talent to get them landed back on the deck of the boat. I agree, you might want to stick to something a bit more simple/safe.

Farmersfan
06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
LOL. I went fishing with my husband on Memorial Day near Port Aransas and was watching them (the guys that you hire) pull a couple of women around. Everytime the parachute would start to lower towards the water, one girl would start laughing and screaming "I can't swim".....

:D

Anyway, it looked like it might take a considerable bit of talent to get them landed back on the deck of the boat. I agree, you might want to stick to something a bit more simple/safe.

In order to do that I think you have to have a winch mounted on your boat and a lot of experience. A normal landing is in the water. My fear is that MY normal water landing would be at about 100mph straight down!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: