PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 MIGHT stay together

Z-RO
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
per Chip Brown on Orangebloods (they guy has been all over this from the beginning). Cant give details because it is a pay site, but it is a serious consideration at this point.

turbostud
06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Saw an article that said the Big 12 Commish is trying to keep the Big 12 together with only 10 teams. They are trying to figure out if they would draw enough money with 10 teams.

Phil C
06-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I have heard they weren't going to have a Championship Game but let the teams play each other during the year. That would probably leave room for two or three non conference games.

turbostud
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5282178)

ziggy29
06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
About the only way I see Texas staying put is if they are able to create their own all-Bevo-all-the-time sports network which might let them keep all the money to themselves.

griff
06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
In retrospect, it would sure be a cool thing if the Big 12 could replace Colorado and Nebraska with TCU and Utah.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by griff
In retrospect, it would sure be a cool thing if the Big 12 could replace Colorado and Nebraska with TCU and Utah.

or maybe tulsa and memphis

sTxforlife
06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
nah add texas schools they should get tcu and houston

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by sTxforlife
nah add texas schools they should get tcu and houston

with all the success tcu has had they might not want to join.

snake_attack
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
It would be good to add Houston and Utah so we can get Houston and Salt Lake City tv networks.

bwdlionfan
06-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by snake_attack
It would be good to add Houston and Utah so we can get Houston and Salt Lake City tv networks.

Big 12 already has the Houston networks.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Big 12 already has the Houston networks.

maybe he meant the ones on the u of h campus.....maybe we could count the ones we already have twice.

bigwood33
06-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Why not make a run at Notre Dame? I know it would be a long shot but talk about a TV power conference. Having Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame would be unbelievable. I would think that the TV deal that could be struck would be the richest in the country. I would also look to add either Utah or Colorado State. You can't add someone like TCU, Tulsa, or Houston because the fan base is too small. I would bet that if you could get Notre Dame to join THEN you could get Arkansas. It would be stupid money.

snake_attack
06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
If the Big 12 does stay intact I hope Oklahoma goes to the north division.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Why not make a run at Notre Dame? I know it would be a long shot but talk about a TV power conference. Having Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame would be unbelievable. I would think that the TV deal that could be struck would be the richest in the country. I would also look to add either Utah or Colorado State. You can't add someone like TCU, Tulsa, or Houston because the fan base is too small. I would bet that if you could get Notre Dame to join THEN you could get Arkansas. It would be stupid money.

you might be on to something.....add notre dame, louisville and put them in north division.....louisville....is on the up right now in all sports.....you d get the louisville/cincinati market.

sahen
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM
If the Big 12 does stay intact I hope Oklahoma goes to the north division.

my guess is if the Big 12 keeps only 10 schools there would be no divisions anymore...

Charlie47
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
The WFAA Dallas news said Arkansas has sent inquiries to
join the Big 12. Sounds good to me.:clap: :)

BreckTxLonghorn
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I think this is all a PR ploy, personally. Texas wants to go to BigPac, A&M wants to go to SEC. Someone has to play the bad guy here.

Chip Brown is a pawn to the Texas Sports Machine. He breaks news before it happens because they give it to him, and it adds to his credibility so when he leaks something that's false, everyone else at least has to say, "Well, he's been right before...."

Again, A&M wants SEC. Many in their organization wanted SEC 16 yrs ago, and now they'll do pretty much anything to ensure it happens today. They're going pretty much no matter what, IMO. By leaking that Texas is listening to the idea of the BigX, if A&M makes it official that they're bolting this week, then Texas can again play the 'We tried to keep the conference together, it was everyone else that made it crumble.' Purely done to help the perception of Texas. And I'm okay with that.

The only way this doesn't happen this way is if aTm somehow changes their minds and goes BigPac. Then, Horn & Aggie (and maybe Raider) hold a joint press conference citing the move as 'what is best for the state and their flagship public universities)'.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
ESPN is reporting that A&M to the SEC and UT,OU, OSU, and TT to the Pac 10 is all but a done deal.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375)

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Good luck A&M in the SEC. Have fun. :D

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
It is almost getting to the point where I don't even want to hear anything else about this until something becomes official so many different rumors it is getting ridiculous.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
It is almost getting to the point where I don't even want to hear anything else about this until something becomes official so many different rumors it is getting ridiculous.

The espn video, the guy says he had 4 sources within the big 12 confirm it. He also says it will be official tomorrow.

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
The espn video, the guy says he had 4 sources within the big 12 confirm it. He also says it will be official tomorrow. But there is also that conflicting report about keeping the Big 12 together.

coach
06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
atm is making a mistake of going to the sec..infact a huge mistake and on the other hand...if the reports are true about texas, ou and tech boycotting against atm and will not play them is just childish. I understand they want to be in the same conference but at the same time atm has their own right s to choose where they want to play. if they want to go independent then thats their choice. not saying its a good choice but they still have the right. If those schools want to boycott its like a little kid not getting there way in a game they are playing with their friends and they choose not to play bc they dont like the rules..

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
But there is also that conflicting report about keeping the Big 12 together.

Yea but ESPN is reporting that Dan Beebe's effort to keep the Big 12 together is fading out. Personally I would like the Big 12 to stay together, and pick up a couple of good teams like Boise St, TCU, Utah a couple of years down the line. I just dont think it is going to happen.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I bet the Pac 10 is just foaming at the mouth with the chance of picking up UT,TT, OU, and OSU.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
If they go to the Pac 10 what would the 2 Divisions look like?
East would be:
UT
TT
OU
OSU
AZ
ASU
Colorado
????

West would be:
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon ST
Washington
Washington St
Cal

Who would be the other team? Baylor?

eagles_victory
06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by coach
atm is making a mistake of going to the sec..infact a huge mistake and on the other hand...if the reports are true about texas, ou and tech boycotting against atm and will not play them is just childish. I understand they want to be in the same conference but at the same time atm has their own right s to choose where they want to play. if they want to go independent then thats their choice. not saying its a good choice but they still have the right. If those schools want to boycott its like a little kid not getting there way in a game they are playing with their friends and they choose not to play bc they dont like the rules.. A&M is the one who turned their back on their traditional rivals to join the SEC. You invite your friend to play kickball with you who you have always played with but he thinks he has found a better game than you and backs out on you to go play there why invite him again?

A&M does have a right to decide where they want to play but doesn't Texas have a right to decide as well?

BreckTxLonghorn
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Texas would like to bring in KU, but BigPac is wanting Utah. Pac10 commish has flown to both; Baylor looks to be out of the equation either way.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
It is so nice to know that tu cares about keepin the big 12 together. It goes to show that Texas is not the bad guys.

Txbroadcaster
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
It is so nice to know that tu cares about keepin the big 12 together. It goes to show that Texas is not the bad guys.

I am assuming this is in sarcasm..if not disregard...but exactly what is Texas, or A&M or OU supposed to do? Stay in a weakened conference?

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Idk im just tryin to find all the bad things in each solution and complain about it.

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I am amazed that it played out this way, but when I went to TexAgs.com over the weekend for the first time, I noticed they had a "Roll Call" going as a poll and the preference was MORE THAN 9-1 in favor of the SEC.

This time last week, the most famous Aggie in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry, was saying he hoped TAMU would remain in a conference with Texas. He is no longer stating that preference. He knows that the VAST majority of his fellow Aggies want to go to the SEC and, as someone else just posted, wanted to do so even back when the SWC disintegrated.

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 12:04 PM
If A&M does go SEC it makes sense for Texas to either play them early in the year or not at all. The odds are that the Ags are going to struggle in SEC intially and by Thanksgiving their main goal would be to beat Texas whereas Texas will hopefully be attempting to qualify for a BCS bowl. Hate to see the tradition die but it makes sense if you're Texas.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am assuming this is in sarcasm..if not disregard...but exactly what is Texas, or A&M or OU supposed to do? Stay in a weakened conference?
Depends. If a weakened Big "12" keeps its BCS autobid AND allows UT to start its own Bevo network where it keeps all the TV broadcast revenues, a financial case could be made for them to stay. And if they stayed, no way any of the others leave.

I hate that one program has this much pull and dominance over what happens, but it is what it is.

sahen
06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
If they go to the Pac 10 what would the 2 Divisions look like?
East would be:
UT
TT
OU
OSU
AZ
ASU
Colorado
????

West would be:
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon ST
Washington
Washington St
Cal

Reports were that the Pac10 had 4 schools that vehemently opposed adding baylor and would vote to block it since we are a Religious School

sahen
06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
atm is making a mistake of going to the sec..infact a huge mistake and on the other hand...if the reports are true about texas, ou and tech boycotting against atm and will not play them is just childish. I understand they want to be in the same conference but at the same time atm has their own right s to choose where they want to play. if they want to go independent then thats their choice. not saying its a good choice but they still have the right. If those schools want to boycott its like a little kid not getting there way in a game they are playing with their friends and they choose not to play bc they dont like the rules..

for A&M going to the SEC makes a lot more sense than going to the Pac10...schools like Cal-Berkley openly bash the military and type of lifestyle the Aggies have, i couldnt imagine the reaction when the corps marched around at Berkley...in the SEC they accept the type of school A&M is and respect it...they would be a much better cultural fit in the SEC...

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
The title of this thread is wrong. Even if successful, it will be the Small 10 being preserved, not the Big 12. CU and NU ain't coming back.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Reports were that the Pac10 had 4 schools that vehemently opposed adding baylor and would vote to block it since we are a Religious School

sahen I admire the Baptist Church.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

snake you need ot be more careful because you meant UT not tu. Let's please be more careful in the future.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I will be so happy if they Big 12 can stay the same but we may have to get a replacement for A&M if they decide on the SEC. I would like to get either Rice or Houston.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Depends. If a weakened Big "12" keeps its BCS autobid AND allows UT to start its own Bevo network where it keeps all the TV broadcast revenues, a financial case could be made for them to stay. And if they stayed, no way any of the others leave.

I hate that one program has this much pull and dominance over what happens, but it is what it is.

Ziggy do you think the UT network would be available on cable tv?

big daddy russ
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
The title of this thread is wrong. Even if successful, it will be the Small 10 being preserved, not the Big 12. CU and NU ain't coming back.
Were Colorado (a dormant program) and Nebraska (currently rebuilding) really that much of a loss? The loss of the Husker tradition and Colorado market will be tough, but I don't know if it hurts as bad as we seem to think.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
latest is texas is leaning on staying in the big 12 -2 (big 2 little 8). so you know the conference loses the best two teams from the north division...which makes a weak football conference even weaker.. and now the comish is saying he can get the remaining schools more money............why didn't he do this before the two left.......and why didn't the conference look at expansion first.

the big 12-2 will just be another acc or big east....the rest of the country will just be wondering why the big 12-2 gets a bcs bid.

phil said scary times....i say messed up times.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
sahen I admire the Baptist Church.

I do too. I would hate to see Baylor left out because of religious reasons.

Where would Baylor end up if left out of Pac 10?

BEAST
06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
latest is texas is leaning on staying in the big 12 -2 (big 2 little 8). so you know the conference loses the best two teams from the north division...which makes a weak football conference even weaker.. and now the comish is saying he can get the remaining schools more money............why didn't he do this before the two left.......and why didn't the conference look at expansion first.

the big 12-2 will just be another acc or big east....the rest of the country will just be wondering why the big 12-2 gets a bcs bid.

:thinking: Curious as to why the change. Seemed Texas was all in a day or two ago. What has changed since?

BEAST

turbostud
06-14-2010, 02:37 PM

If schools can jump conference whenever they feel like, I am sure the Big 12 can find 2 replacements for CU and NB.

turbostud
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
ESPN are freaking idiots. They have posted stories today stating UT etc.... to the Pac 10 and UT etc... to stay in Big 12.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Earlier this morning ESPN reported the move to the Pac 10 was "imminent" citing 4 sources from the Big 12-2 and saying a last second chance to save the conference was "very unlikely" and had "zero" chance to succeed...now merely hours later it is looking like it will be saved with "adjustments" being made in the TV markets to increase revenue shares...
yes scary times indeed Phil!

They could always add Texas State :D :D :D

sahen
06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I do too. I would hate to see Baylor left out because of religious reasons.

Where would Baylor end up if left out of Pac 10?

dunno..i would say to the mountain west like it looks like several of the leftovers were looking at however reports were that TCU was lobbying against baylor going there...i guess it would be CUSA or something? i dont really know...then ther ewas the possiblility of the 5 leftover schools sticking together and inviting in other schools, prolly MWC schools since the Big 12 has the autobid already but really and truly it is hard to tell...

from baylor's point of view we need the big 12 to stay together, if it breaks up we are in a bad place...

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Go big and get LSU and Arkansas. They already have a huge rivalry amongst themselves and would fit in great in south. Put OU and OSU in the North and you have a powerhouse conference.

Charlie47
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Go big and get LSU and Arkansas. They already have a huge rivalry amongst themselves and would fit in great in south. Put OU and OSU in the North and you have a powerhouse conference.

Arkansas has already sent inquiries to get in.:clap: :D

Phil C
06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

It may be more like the 8 little giants because these teams have had success in the past. Of course we know about Texas and Oklahoma but let's look at the rest.

Baylor - has had success. Remember they won the SWC in 1974 and in 1963 they had a top team. Plus they have on NCs in men's tennis and women's basketball.

Missouri has had good teams going 11-2 in 2007. Plus Johnny Roland who played there was on the Kansas City Chief's 1969 Super Bowl winning team.

Kansas State - has given Texas and Oklahoma trouble in the past. They were 11-2 in 2002 and won 11 games each year from 1997 to 2000.

Iowa State - They have had success winning 8 games each season from 1976-1978 (and this was when they had 10 game seasons). In 1906 they had a fantastic 9 - 1 season.

Kansas - Also they have been tough and were 12-2 in 2007 plus they have won some NCs in men's basketball.

Texas A&M - they have had some good teams. They won the NC in 1939 and had some great teams in the 50s and John David Crow won the Heisman Trophy in 1957.

Texas Tech - has had success and were 9-4 in 2007 and 11-2 in 2008. Don't forget also they have won an NC in Women's Basketball.

Oklahoma State - has had good teams. In fact they had 10 game win seasons in 1987-1988 with Barry Sanders winning the Heisman Trophy in 1988 and having a great pro football career at Detroit. They probably should have won the Oklahoma game in 1988 but it was ruined by a horrible official's call late in the game which ruined a great game by both teams.

So these teams are good. We don't play no mullets down here.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Earlier this morning ESPN reported the move to the Pac 10 was "imminent" citing 4 sources from the Big 12-2 and saying a last second chance to save the conference was "very unlikely" and had "zero" chance to succeed...now merely hours later it is looking like it will be saved with "adjustments" being made in the TV markets to increase revenue shares...
yes scary times indeed Phil!

They could always add Texas State :D :D :D

Texas State would be tougher than one would expect. In smaller divisions they have had some top teams and won at least one NC that I know of in the 80s.

BaseballUmp
06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Back to back in 81 and 82 :D

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Charlie47
Arkansas has already sent inquiries to get in.:clap: :D Yes it is a well know fact in this area that Arkansas wants to get back to playing Texas schools, just make sense for their recruiting. I think LSU would possibly consider a move too for the same reasons. Colorado, and Nebraska for Arkansas and LSU would be great.

coach
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
A&M is the one who turned their back on their traditional rivals to join the SEC. You invite your friend to play kickball with you who you have always played with but he thinks he has found a better game than you and backs out on you to go play there why invite him again?

A&M does have a right to decide where they want to play but doesn't Texas have a right to decide as well?

yea texas has all the right in the world to choose as well...but if one school wants to go to a different conference they should respect that. atm still wants to play texas but texas backs out bc they dont get their way....its really stupid on both parts. atm should stay where texas is and texas should say we will play atm no matter what

LE Dad
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
yea texas has all the right in the world to choose as well...but if one school wants to go to a different conference they should respect that. atm still wants to play texas but texas backs out bc they dont get their way....its really stupid on both parts. atm should stay where texas is and texas should say we will play atm no matter what A&M was destroyed by Arkansas and Georgia last year, and now throw in LSU and Bama and things do not look good for the Ags for at least 2 years. It would hurt Texas BCS chances playing a team that is unranked , especially if they lose and with that possibly being A&Ms big moment for the next few years the risk simply outweighs the reward for Texas.

Phil C
06-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Arkansas also hasn't done too good in the SEC so I think they might join the Big 12 if it stays together. The thing is that if A&M leaves we might not have room to play them. Remember it would tie up nine games and leave only 3 non conference games. We need to keep playing Houston and Rice for the Houston area and probably of course Baylor. We would need the remaining game ot be able to go out of State for more exposure. A&M moving to the SEC will probably kill this game or hurt both schools in recruiting.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
snake you need ot be more careful because you meant UT not tu. Let's please be more careful in the future.

I think i had it right the first time. :D

Texas A&M - they have had some good teams. They won the NC in 1939 and had some great teams in the 50s and John David Crow won the Heisman Trophy in 1957.

Plus the men and women track are back to back national champs. And the golf team won it last year as well.

Charlie47
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Plus the men and women track are back to back national champs. And the golf team won it last year as well.

Let's see, 71 yrs ago, O yeah, very successful!
I had completely forget about about all their success, shame on me!:( :(

Phil C
06-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Good points and thank you snake! Also their softball team had a couple of NCs in the 80s also.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Let's see, 71 yrs ago, O yeah, very successful!
I had completely forget about about all their success, shame on me!:( :(

Big XII Champions, SWC Champions, etc.

In the 90's and early 2000s, A&M had some great teams. Even as recently as two years ago we went to Bowl games and beat Texas in back-to-back season. Why so much trash talking? People are so immature and naive when it comes to sports, always trying to bash the other team. Doesn't anybody have anything better to do with their time?

BEAST
06-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

In the 90's and early 2000s, A&M had some great teams. Even as recently as two years ago we went to Bowl games and beat Texas in back-to-back season. Why so much trash talking? People are so immature and naive when it comes to sports, always trying to bash the other team. Doesn't anybody have anything better to do with their time?

Now this is scary indeed. I totally agree with BBDE. I also think its amusing that since ATM made it well known it wasnt going to follow Texas blindly, now all of the sudden a push is being made to save the Big XII.

BEAST

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

Not really. Its either the downlow, craigslist, or COD.
But back to the topic, if we add Arkansas and Utah/Houston/Tcu it will be an upgrade from NU and CU.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Not really. Its either the downlow, craigslist, or COD.
But back to the topic, if we add Arkansas and Utah/Houston/Tcu it will be an upgrade from NU and CU.

it would?

football wise maybe....but remember people have been saying this also has do with academic standards.....are these schools tier 1?

cause remember some schools don't want to go to sec cause of academic standards.....even though joining the sec would mean joining not only the best football conference but also probably the best all around athletic conference.......if academics matter the big 12-2 sould look to add a few more tier 1 schools.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
it would?

football wise maybe....but remember people have been saying this also has do with academic standards.....are these schools tier 1?

cause remember some schools don't want to go to sec cause of academic standards.....even though joining the sec would mean joining not only the best football conference but also probably the best all around athletic conference.......if academics matter the big 12-2 sould look to add a few more tier 1 schools.

Yea my bad i was saying that through a football standpoint. Excluding football i think a&m can hold their own in all of the other sports. But if Arkansas comes to the Big12 will they have to up their academic standard?

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Yea my bad i was saying that through a football standpoint. Excluding football i think a&m can hold their own in all of the other sports. But if Arkansas comes to the Big12 will they have to up their academic standard?

i was in college at the time arkansas left for the sec....half time show at the A&M/Rice game the MOB did a tribute to arkansas....never will forget the annoucer saying with the departure of arkansas for the sec the over all gpa of two conferences were raised.....that was a good one.

Charlie47
06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
It was just announced by the AP in the Austin American Statesman; the Big 12 will stay together, minus CU and NE.
Ar was not mentioned.:clap: :D

Phil C
06-14-2010, 04:48 PM
It was just announced by the AP in the Austin American Statesman; the Big 12 will stay together, minus CU and NE.
Ar was not mentioned.:clap: :D

Great news indeed!

:clap: :)

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 04:54 PM
yeah rumors have the big 12-2 extending invites to air force and byu.

what a mess.....a weak conference just got weaker.....buddy told me that on pti they don't think it would work they say texas will become like the yankees ............I say become like the yankees...they are the yankees of college sports.......most money gets the better talent (and no i don't mean buy the talent). most money= more to offer....that's been said on this site and others....texas has more too offer recruits than a&m.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
yeah rumors have the big 12-2 extending invites to air force and byu.
This is taking TV markets to an extreme. Air Force? TCU and Houston are a much better fit (assuming this would mean Utah to the Pac-10 and they couldn't get Arkansas). But they don't add new TV markets, so that's nixed. Welcome to the brave new world of "amateur" athletics if this is true. :(

DDBooger
06-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Looks like what Texas wants, Texas gets.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Looks like what Texas wants, Texas gets.
Unfortunately, that's pretty much it. Get Texas to stay and the conference survives. Texas leaves and it's over. I don't like one program having that much power over all the others but it's a reality.

And only in the Big "12" could Texas apparently launch its own UT-centric sports network which is a big, big deal to them.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Unfortunately, that's pretty much it. Get Texas to stay and the conference survives. Texas leaves and it's over. I don't like one program having that much power over all the others but it's a reality.

And only in the Big "12" could Texas apparently launch its own UT-centric sports network which is a big, big deal to them.

yeah thats why they are meeting with the others to try to convince them to stay......texas is doing this so they get a tv deal with the conference but the real reason is they can have their own network..........something the PAC 10 said no to....yeah get what they want....a&m considers going to the sec and the horns threaten to drop an 100 year old series.......if I were the other schools i would explore options.....texas doesn't give a $#!+ about the other schools.

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by sahen

Yeah, and that wasn't being fair at all unless they would have also voted to block the Aggies—being an Aggie is a more fervent religion than being a Southern Baptist.

If you got to TexAgs.com, you will find the most pissed-off people on the planet right now. Many had already begun buying SEC memorabilia and booking travel reservations east. UT fans aren't too pleased either. I think most EVERYONE realizes what a boring DOG of a conference this is that we're stuck in. (And I know this reasoning doesn't apply to the Baylors and Iowa States of the world, who had nowhere else to go.)

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Yeah, and that wasn't being fair at all unless they would have also voted to block the Aggies—being an Aggie is a more fervent religion than being a Southern Baptist.

If you got to TexAgs.com, you will find the most pissed-off people on the planet right now. Many had already begun buying SEC memorabilia and booking travel reservations east. UT fans aren't too pleased either. I think most EVERYONE realizes what a boring DOG of a conference this is that we're stuck in. (And I know this reasoning doesn't apply to the Baylors and Iowa States of the world, who had nowhere else to go.)

said it before...the big 12-2 just put itself on the same level of the Big East and MWC....barely above the WAC and Con. USA.

Texas and OU two football powers and the rest .

DDBooger
06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
.....texas doesn't give a $#!+ about the other schools. probably not, but should they?

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 05:57 PM
probably not, but should they?

no and i don't think they should....so why try to save the big 12-2?

i think its become a look out for yourself situation for the teams in the conference.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
no and i don't think they should....so why try to save the big 12-2?

i think its become a look out for yourself situation for the teams in the conference.

Its probably because they want their own tv network that the pac10 says no to.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
probably not, but should they?
Maybe ND should join the Big 10 and Texas should be independent.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 06:16 PM
maybe the big 12 should...just add the MWC schools for a super mega conference...
Utah
BYU
New Mexico
Wyoming
TCU
San Diego State
Air Force
*Boise State
Texas
A&M
Baylor
Tech
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

divide them up into divisions for football and four for the other sports.

but than again idk how many of those schools are tier 1......but heck tv mkts more money and texas can still dominate.......two out three aint bad huh?

bobcat4life
06-14-2010, 06:17 PM

In the 90's and early 2000s, A&M had some great teams. Even as recently as two years ago we went to Bowl games and beat Texas in back-to-back season. Why so much trash talking? People are so immature and naive when it comes to sports, always trying to bash the other team. Doesn't anybody have anything better to do with their time? and this has its own tradition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vCZ6zt4Es