PDA

View Full Version : Prospects for Baseball leaders in 3A next season....tell us about your team?

Old Cardinal
06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Let try to get a handle on who is going to be potent in baseball next season in 3A.

giddingsblazer2
06-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Count out Giddings

Old Dog
06-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm told Burnet returns 6 starters from Regional finalist team.

Don't know the the pitching status though!!

Spread It Out
06-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by giddingsblazer2
Count out Giddings

I thought they are the Giddings Buffaloes, not the Giddings Blazers? :confused: :thinking: :thinking:

LE Dad
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Let try to get a handle on who is going to be potent in baseball next season in 3A. Second verse same as the first...

Pleasant Grove will be looooaaaaaded agaiiiin!!:D

:cool:

Old Cardinal
06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
My home team Bridge City went to the semi-finals with an exceptionally young team.
So coming back will be one Senior, six Juniors, and two Sophomores that can really play baseball.
They will have a lot of Freshman that played deep in the LL playoffs; including some that played on national sport TV near the top of the brackets.
Matt Menard will be a Junior Catcher.. All State candidate.
They have Hayden Guidry who will be a Sophomore Pitcher that was instrumental in the bracket climb, pitching as a Freshmen this season. He is a giant of a kid and has not reached near his potential.

Old Cardinal
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Other teams that I have some knowledge about.....Orangefield a Regional finalist has graduated quite a lot.......
WO-S who went to the Quarterfinals will again be strong--still have some great ballplayers coming back.

Jasper graduates pretty heavy after reaching the final four.

Tell us what you know about other teams..

Old Cardinal
06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Additional comments on assorted teams

A sleeper that will be under the radar is Huffman-Hargrave.......its the biggest enrollment in Region III. They graduated Blaine Hashagen a premier Pitcher; but, come back with 5 Seniors; 9 Juniors & 2 Sophomores. Could be trouble if they get move ins with the core that they have developing.

An interesting development is that District 23 & 24 move back to Region III--that really takes the pressure off of the teams in Region IV. Those teams from 23 & 24 more than held their on in their brief visit to Region IV.

Columbus, Bellville, Giddings, Navasota, Sealy etc: will be very competitive in Region III, as always, but will have their work cut out for them.

We need some statewide comments to get a picture of the teams to be fielded next season.

XMan
06-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Sadly OC, you and I are about the only ones who care. The 23/24 teams are going to be down in general. LaGrange would be my pick as best of the bunch. Most of the players in those districts dont get a chance to play baseball again until feb. As a result, they will not be as good as they could be. Jasper has offseason so Ill take them anytime. Bridge City should be loaded again as always.

pirate4state
06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Sinton returns 8 - should be a fun year! :D

buff4ever
06-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Robstown will be my favorite to get out of Region IV

jdawg2012
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Jasper loses 5 starters, 3 of which were pitchers. I do believe they will still make the playoffs but the Tourny is unlikely.

NastySlot
06-15-2010, 12:07 AM
i know this fredericksburg and wimberley were very young...like majority of both teams were sophs....fred even had a freshman or two.

boerne has a good tradition and who knows what they'll get to replace what they lost...as far as i know those kids in that district can chose which high school to attend.

Yoe_09
06-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by giddingsblazer2
Count out Giddings

I have heard some rumors that the head coach was looking to move on and might have been looking for an assistant coaching job in either the Cameron or Rogers area. I think that would be a pretty good deal for us.

BaseballUmp
06-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen...going from back to back state title games to an assistant coach at the 2A level...

Yoe_09
06-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen...going from back to back state title games to an assistant coach at the 2A level...

It's a good source lol. When I first heard this I had the same thought as you but who knows what will happen.

BaseballUmp
06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Nope, still don't ever see it happening lol

Spread It Out
06-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Especially since his son will be a senior at Giddings next year. Coach Marlow isn't going anywhere soon.

hookandladder
06-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Especially since his son will be a senior at Giddings next year. Coach Marlow isn't going anywhere soon.

He could come play on one of the best High School fields in the State, here in La Grange. I am sure we could find a spot on the field somewhere for his son, maybe even may a run in the playoffs.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Robstown has a opening at head coach :thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sinton returns 8 - should be a fun year! :D yep and pretty good bunch of freshmans for next season that i think can challenge some for playing time.

Be_Advised
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Robstown has a opening at head coach :thinking:

I personally think that job was already reserved for someone even before it became available. That person might have even orchestrated the entire drama regarding Castro.

44INAROW
06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
www.victoriaadvocate.com

Yoakum names new baseball coach
By MIKE FORMAN •
Originally published June 14, 2010 at 11:36 p.m., updated June 15, 2010 at 12:35 a.m.

•Bobby Nicholson fileHigh school: Industrial.

College: Alvin Community College, Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Coaching: 14 years at Pleasanton. 11 years as head baseball coach with 171-93 record. District coach of the year 2001, 2005, 2007.

Bobby Nicholson is aware of Yoakum's success in baseball.

"I've always heard good things about Yoakum," Nicholson said. "I know it's very traditional in baseball. I've even talked with some of the umpires I know. They had nothing but good things to say about their kids."

Nicholson will get the opportunity to put his imprint on the Yoakum program after being named the school's head baseball coach.

Nicholson's hiring was approved by a unanimous 7-0 vote of the Yoakum school district board of trustees on Monday night.

Nicholson has coached baseball and football at Pleasanton for 14 seasons.

He has been the head baseball coach for the past 11 years and had an overall record of 171-93. The Eagles were a Class 4A team for 12 of the 14 years Nicholson coached, but they made 12 playoff appearances.

"I believe in old-school discipline," Nicholson said. "I'm an aggressive coach who like to make things happen."

Tom Kelley, superintendent of the Yoakum school district, said the district received over 30 applications for the position, which became vacant when Jace Wood resigned at the end of the school year.

Wood coached at Yoakum for 30 years, including 28 as the head baseball coach and had a 488-266 record that included two state tournament appearances.

"I want to get a feel for what the kids are like," Nicholson said. "I talked to Jace when I was town the other day and got to watch the kids in summer conditioning.

"I'm going to talk to Jace and see what works there. I'm not coming in to change things. If I can make it better, that's what we're going to do."

Nicholson is no stranger to the area. He graduated from Industrial where his father, Bob, was the athletic director for 23 years before becoming the high school principal and school district superintendent.

Nicholson played baseball at Alvin Community College and was a member of Texas A&M-Kingsville's 1995 Lone Star Conference championship team.

"I have daughters who are 9 and 7 and my wife and I wanted to get back to this area," Nicholson said. "We were looking around and Yoakum was right at the top of our list."

The recent University Interscholastic League realignment moved Yoakum and Pleasanton into District 28-3A, which should make for some high-intensity games next season.

"That will interesting," Nicholson said. "It's going to be real strange. When we come to town, there should be a heck of a crowd."

Old Cardinal
06-15-2010, 03:15 PM
What will Carthage have next year?
They are about due....they have a great feeder program.

LLM_1331
06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
West will be a force, I think they lose one senior and return all of their pitching. They will have a very good team next year, may be ranked number 1.

Old Cardinal
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Keep that info coming; we will all have a better overall picture of the teams in 3A next year.....

Would anyone like to do research and give us fresh into on the 4A drop-downs(like Mineral Wells etc:)

And for that matter what about the 2As coming on board?.... will any challenge?

Old Cardinal
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
LLM_1331:

Will Andrews be a force out west?

Old Cardinal
06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
How many did LaGrange & Giddings graduate?....how do you think they will fare back up in Region III?