PDA

View Full Version : Boise State...

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
will leave the WAC and join the Mountain West will annouce today.

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
That's 10 for the MWC. If the breakup of the Big 12 goes much as expected, I would guess the MWC then grabs Kansas and K-State (mostly for KU hoops) and gets to their 12.

bwdlionfan
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
will leave the WAC and join the Mountain West will annouce today.

I wonder if Baylor will head to the WAC

bigwood33
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
IF A&M goes to the SEC and the other Big 12 South schools go to the Pac 10, I wonder if that opens a slot for Baylor inthe Pac 16?

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
IF A&M goes to the SEC and the other Big 12 South schools go to the Pac 10, I wonder if that opens a slot for Baylor inthe Pac 16?
I doubt it -- I think the Pac 10's preemptive early invite to Colorado was an indication that they don't want Baylor.

I think Utah is more likely, if only because Kansas (for hoops) won't be able to separate from K-State.

griff
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33

I know A&M has stated their interest is preferred to the SEC over the PAC-10, but there's no way they head to the SEC as a lone pilot. Their pairing and rivalry with Texas is too important to separate from conference play. In the end, A&M will be in the PAC-10 with UT.

Matthew328
06-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I think its WAC or C-USA for Baylor....Mt West would be great for them now.

coach
06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
i jave heard that kansas could be going to the big east

mac77
06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Why wouldn't the PAC 10 want Boise State? At least in football, they might be just the ticket. Instead they are going to the Mountain West? That's not exactly a step up.

bigwood33
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Why wouldn't the PAC 10 want Boise State? At least in football, they might be just the ticket. Instead they are going to the Mountain West? That's not exactly a step up.
Because Boise St is a tier 3 academic school and there is no tv market for Boise. As far as the Pac 10 is concerned, Boise is just a glorified JUCO.

wildstangs
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Kansas and Kstate could make 12 teams in the MWC. Baylor needs to go to conference USA or WAC. Their baseball and basketball programs would continue to excel, and football would be near the top of the standings in just a few years.

ziggy29
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Kansas and Kstate could make 12 teams in the MWC. Baylor needs to go to conference USA or WAC. Their baseball and basketball programs would continue to excel, and football would be near the top of the standings in just a few years.
If A&M bolted for the SEC, I think the Pac 10 would like to have Kansas instead but probably couldn't get them because it would separate them from K-State. That's why I think Utah is the most likely second choice for the Pac-10 if A&M wanders off alone.

Baylor in the Pac-10 is a non-starter. The preemptive Colorado move demonstrated that, and I've heard it said that there is *no* way the Pac 10 wants anything to do with a school that has a religious affiliation. That would cause blood vessels to explode in places like Berkeley.

LE Dad
06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
A&M is going Pac 16. They may be posturing now, but when the invite comes they will be right there with Texas.

bigwood33
06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I've heard it said that there is *no* way the Pac 10 wants anything to do with a school that has a religious affiliation. That would cause blood vessels to explode in places like Berkeley.
That is one of the reasons that I have a problem with this whole thing. I REALLY don't like the attitudes of the Pac 10 schools.

Old Dog
06-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree with LE Dad. I'm an Aggie fan, but I think they are just testing if there is really an interest within the SEC. They need to just go ahead and jump to the PAC 16 and accepth it.

One really bad thing I see with the PAC 16 is all the travel for other sports. It's gona get expensive...................Most likely the regents are just aggravated that they have so little control over the situation.

Cowboy_Up
06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I played in the Pac-10. I'm from the Pac-10 region. The biggest difference between the Pac-10 and most other conferences is they really do put almost as much emphasis on the minor sports as the major ones like football and hoops. The Pac-10 has been a leader in this area along with woman's athletics as well. They have no interest in a school like Boise that is really only good in football.
For whatever reason the Pac-10 is the most maligned conference in the country. I've lived and worked from coast to coast and every where I go all I hear is what wussies there are in the Pac-10. And yet if you live out west you will not read about schools from the Pac-10 claiming to be great, with the exception of SC and everyone in the Pac-10 hates SC.
The Pac-10 is a very good conference in almost all sports. For the most part, with the exception of SC, they are clean, well run programs. Az St, Wash St, and Or St will allow lower level students admission, but the rest are very strict about who they let in. These are good universities and the TX schools along with OU will not just roll to 10 win seasons every year. No question the SEC is a stronger football conference. But the Pac-10 is competitive in every sport and I believe the depth top to bottom, year in and year out is better than the Big-12.

Having said all that, it does seem weird that the middle of the country can't seem to keep it's conferences together. The Pac-10 has been the same since '77 when they added the AZ schools. Prior to that the old Pac-8 was together for a long time with the same schools as now. A very long lasting conference. Why can't the middle of the country from a league and keep it together? Are the schools just not willing to make a commitment to each other? SWC, Big-8, Big-12, all soon to be history. I don't get it.