PDA

View Full Version : Good places to eat near Minute Maid Park?

mac77
06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Gonna be going to the game next Friday and we want to eat somewhere before the game. Anyone got any good suggestions for someplace near Minute Maid? Don't want to hit the same old chain joint but someplace nice.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Gonna be going to the game next Friday and we want to eat somewhere before the game. Anyone got any good suggestions for someplace near Minute Maid? Don't want to hit the same old chain joint but someplace nice.
Vic and Anthony's is awesome, but it'll set you back some $$$$.

carter08
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Head down to Midtown and hit up one of the Vietnamese sandwich shops. Cheap and good.

Or go across 59 and hit up Kim Son.
Or go all the way down into the 'Trose, get on Richmond, and go to Lucky Burger. But that's a pretty far drive.

Green Bling
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Kim Son... softshell crabs!!

jason
06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Vic and Anthony's is awesome, but it'll set you back some $$$$.

favorite place to eat in vegas...

where i proposed in january...

sinton66
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
There's a place almost downtown called The Hubcap Grill. Little hole in the wall place that has the BEST hamburgers you've ever had.
Hubcap Grill - www.hubcapgrill.com
1111 Prairie Street, Houston - (713) 223-5885

SWMustang
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Ninfas is close to Minute maid with free parking and they run a shuttle to and from the ballpark.

Maroon87
06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Home Plate Bar & Grill, right across Texas Avenue from the home plate entrance.

JasperDog94
06-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Ninfas is close to Minute maid with free parking and they run a shuttle to and from the ballpark. Excellent suggestion! This would be my choice.

sinton66
06-11-2010, 05:13 PM
There's actually a sit-down restaraunt in the ballpark.

mac77
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!
The Hubcap sounds real interesting. Sometimes I like Ninfa's and sometimes I don't. The food there seems to be real erratic. We don't want to break the bank, but we don't want a bad meal either.

sinton66
06-11-2010, 06:34 PM
The Hubcap was voted best burger in Houston two or three years.
It is really good. You won't be disappointed. Also, during weekdays, the Methodist Cathedral right across the street from the Hubcap does noon meals with a Cajun slant that are also excellent. There are daily specials, and all of them are good. I think the caterers and the church split the profits or something. Anyway, you wouldn't be disappointed in that one either. I've eaten there five or six times since the first of the year.

sinton66
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell have a new restaurant called FiveSeven Grille inside Minute Maid Park. It is located in centerfield. I haven't eaten there, but it has always had a crowd when I was at the games. It is an actual sit down restaurant inside the park itself.

shamu85
06-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I just looked at Hubcap Grill website and they close at 3:00 pm.

Tell me more about Kim Son.

sinton66
06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Try this link, most of theses are in the area.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/8/1802/Houston/Sports-Venues/Minute-Maid-Park.html

Treebeard's is the place at the Methodist Cathedral. Couldn't remember the name before.

coach
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell have a new restaurant called FiveSeven Grille inside Minute Maid Park. It is located in centerfield. I haven't eaten there, but it has always had a crowd when I was at the games. It is an actual sit down restaurant inside the park itself.

i wonder if its as overrated as their baseball careers were

sinton66
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by coach

Dunno, I haven't eaten there. I hear the food is very good but the service is not so good.

shamu85
06-11-2010, 10:20 PM

668 doubles is overrated (6th all time btw)? That's 38 per year, plus 17 HR's and 24 SB's.

SWMustang
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Thanks for all the suggestions!
The Hubcap sounds real interesting. Sometimes I like Ninfa's and sometimes I don't. The food there seems to be real erratic. We don't want to break the bank, but we don't want a bad meal either.

I believe this is the orginal one so the variation may not be the same as you find at the other locations. It was muy bueno when I went

carter08
06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I've heard good things about Treebeards.

Kim Son is hit or miss with me. I was really disappointed the first time I went there and really happy the second. Just don't eat at any Kim Son Expresses like the one at UH. Not legit.

Still, I'd say the best bet for a budget meal that is super tasty is at Givrel's. Intersection of Milam and Drew. 3 dollars for a BBQ pork sandwich with cilantro, cucumber, pickled carrots, mayo, soy sauce, and a super hot pepper for flavor. Meat has a very sweet taste to it.

Cali Sandwich is good as well and a little cheaper, but Givrel is probably your best bet.

WOS87
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Vic & Anthony's! I'm going there tomorrow night with my mom and sis. Not cheap though but best steak you will ever have in your life.

Maroon87
06-12-2010, 01:50 AM

Actually moreso...it's right up there with your ability to post anything sensible.