PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the SWC!!

Phil C
06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Just like the old days. We could have 9 teams and they could be TCU, SMU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Houston, Texas, Rice, Baylor, and UTEP. This would let each team have 8 conference and 4 non conference games. From the UT view point it would be great. UT could keep it's annual game with Oklahoma and maybe play Arkansas and 2 other teams around the country. A good idea would be to play in Hawaii and New Orleans against Tulane to let the players travel to those places.

Phil C
06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Another thing is the conference winner could play a game against another conference winner and maybe get invited to the BCS NC game. Lots of possibilities.

bobcat4life
06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
just keep the Big 12 the way it is and if Nebraska does leave like reports are saying, add TCU

heck, the Big 12 should go for being a super conference and add TCU, Houston, UTEP, and push for Arkansas to make a 16 team conference

Phil C
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Rumor is that if Missouri also leaves the Big 12 that it is interesting in replacing them with the Air Force Academy and BYU since those schools are not only good in athletics but strong academics.

Phil C
06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I was most sad and disheartened when the old SWC ws dissolved in 1996 after 81 years of great games and glory. Even though we took some of those teams to the big 12 it left out SMU, Houston, Rice and TCU. Arkansas had already left.

Sad times indeed. :(

IrishTex
06-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Just wondering if this thread qualifies for Big XII "stuff"?

bobcat4life
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
no. the SWC is more than stuff

Aesculus gilmus
06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
All your sentimentality is just that. The amount of television money involved in a new conference extending from Seattle to Austin far overwhelms all sentiments and nostalgia for the past. CU stuck a fork in the Big 12 today and NU will stick another one tomorrow.

The only thing up in the air is whether Aggy wants to be the new Arky and bolt to the SEC. Gene Stallings is now playing the role Frank Broyles did in the waning years of the old SWC.

IrishTex
06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
All your sentimentality is just that. The amount of television money involved in a new conference extending from Seattle to Austin far overwhelms all sentiments and nostalgia for the past. CU stuck a fork in the Big 12 today and NU will stick another one tomorrow.

The only thing up in the air is whether Aggy wants to be the new Arky and bolt to the SEC. Gene Stallings is now playing the role Frank Broyles did in the waning years of the old SWC.

2 points here....

1) It's a sad day when we decide which conference we belong to based on how many TV's are on that specific channel

2) The Aggies can pretty much name their own price tag...and are quite a big difference from the hogs of Arkansas...

By the way, how are the hogs doing in the SEC? Great decision huh?

zebrablue2
06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
just keep the Big 12 the way it is and if Nebraska does leave like reports are saying, add TCU

heck, the Big 12 should go for being a super conference and add TCU, Houston, UTEP, and push for Arkansas to make a 16 team conference

:iagree:

Aesculus gilmus
06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
2 points here....

1) It's a sad day when we decide which conference we belong to based on how many TV's are on that specific channel

2) The Aggies can pretty much name their own price tag...and are quite a big difference from the hogs of Arkansas...

As Baylor will tell you, it's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you get to cash the multimillion-dollar check from your share of the TV money. They've been losing worse than the Porkers, but they certainly don't seem to mind as long as the checks clear.

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Your right..When Arkansas left the SWC they had a stronger football team and Mens basketball team. They were in a better position to leave than A&M is at this juncture.

I know A&M feels drawn to the SEC, but I honestly think it would set their football program back if they make that move

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I know A&M feels drawn to the SEC, but I honestly think it would set their football program back if they make that move
I'm not so sure. I could see it going either way. The way big time college football is changing pretty much ensures that teams like USC, Texas and Florida -- the "elite" programs in the most fertile recruiting states in the country -- will almost always have their "pick of the litter." And most of the top recruits from those states want to play in those "elite" in-state programs. This is why they "reload" rather than "rebuild."

If A&M and Tech remain in the same conference as UT, they will be like the jackals and the coyotes -- they get to pick the remains of the carcass after the lion (UT) has taken all the prime cuts he wants. The top recruits in-state (who want to stay in-state) who have a choice are increasingly choosing UT and I see no reversal of that trend given the consolidation of money, clout and success of the "haves" in the game.

If A&M is in the SEC, yes, they may get mauled with their current team. But maybe there are solid Texas recruits who want to stay in-state but would love to play SEC football. Suddenly, A&M becomes *the* option. Compare that with the Big 12, where you play Big 12 football whether UT, A&M, Tech or Baylor. And if your main interest is football glory and you're a top recruit, where will you go? The conference you play in isn't an issue.

I don't know that it would play out that way, but it could. I suspect there's increasing resentment among the recruiting dominance UT enjoys in state (again, much like USC in California and UF in Florida, and much for the same reasons) and A&M is at least thinking a move out of UT's conference could shake things up. Not that I think the state's political heroes would allow it...

BEAST
06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Your right..When Arkansas left the SWC they had a stronger football team and Mens basketball team. They were in a better position to leave than A&M is at this juncture.

I disagree. I think it would help. Alot of young athletes see the SEC as the best football conference.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I disagree. I think it would help. Alot of young athletes see the SEC as the best football conference.

BEAST

yes they do..but your not going to magically get football players if your 4-8 in the best conference in America

BEAST
06-11-2010, 02:37 PM
yes they do..but your not going to magically get football players if your 4-8 in the best conference in America

The difference being, they would not be offering the same thing that Texas would be. They would be able to offer the best players in Texas a chance to play against the best of the best. Plus, the TV exposure would jump up quite a bit. As it is now, Texas and ATM are offering the same schedule, if ATM went to the SEC, Texas athletes would be able to choose which conference they wanted to compete in.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
The difference being, they would not be offering the same thing that Texas would be. They would be able to offer the best players in Texas a chance to play against the best of the best. Plus, the TV exposure would jump up quite a bit. As it is now, Texas and ATM are offering the same schedule, if ATM went to the SEC, Texas athletes would be able to choose which conference they wanted to compete in.

BEAST

I would agree of A&M was moving to the SEC with a recent track record of succes

Right now if they split..Texas will pitch being a top 5 team..being in a mega conference with a legit chance year in and year out of being a national title contender.

What can A&M pitch? Hey come here and get beat 35-10 by Bama, and Florida? I just wish if A&M was making the move to the SEC they had recent success. Arkansas DID have recent success when they went to SEC and they still have struggled to truly be relevant YEAR IN AND YEAR and YEAR OUT...they have a nice run here and there then slide back down to below

cropduster
06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
2 points here....

I think the hogs have done just fine...Lets see if I can recollect...

1 basketball national championship
1 basketball runner up
Several regular season basketball championships
1SEC tourny basketball
Girls basketball has made it to final four
3 SEC West Titles in football...Beat the tar out of UT in the 200 cotton bowl (I believe the only team they have yet to beat in football is Florida)
College world series twice if not three times
And lord knows how many national championships in indoor/outdoor/cross country

That is just off the top of my head

Plus, all the money that goes with being in the SEC.

Yea, I think the move has worked out for them just fine.

If you were implying they would have been even more successful in the Big 12, then you are probably right.

By the way, didn't the Hogs kick the crap out of the Aggies this year in Jerry land?

bigwood33
06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cropduster
I think the hogs have done just fine...Lets see if I can recollect...

1 basketball national championship
1 basketball runner up
Several regular season basketball championships
1SEC tourny basketball
Girls basketball has made it to final four
3 SEC West Titles in football...Beat the tar out of UT in the 200 cotton bowl (I believe the only team they have yet to beat in football is Florida)
College world series twice if not three times
And lord knows how many national championships in indoor/outdoor/cross country

That is just off the top of my head

Plus, all the money that goes with being in the SEC.

Yea, I think the move has worked out for them just fine.

If you were implying they would have been even more successful in the Big 12, then you are probably right.

By the way, didn't the Hogs kick the crap out of the Aggies this year in Jerry land?

When I heard Frank Broyles on the radio earlier this week, he didn't seem so impressed with their accomplishments. He talked more about being an "outsider". He also talked about losing their recruiting base in Texas.

NastySlot
06-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
When I heard Frank Broyles on the radio earlier this week, he didn't seem so impressed with their accomplishments. He talked more about being an "outsider". He also talked about losing their recruiting base in Texas.

being an "outsider" thought they felt like that too when in they were in swc.....with all the texas schools.