PDA

View Full Version : Need some idea on great camping spots

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Anyone have links to great camping spots here in Texas?

BEAST
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Bend State Park on the Colorado is a pretty good spot. Nice swimming holes in fresh, cool spring water. Nice cliffs and so on.

BEAST

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Parks on U.S. Army Corps of Engineer Lakes in East Texas ... Sam Rayborn, Lake of the Pines, Somerville

Central Texas... Navarro Mills, Waco, Whitney, Proctor, Belton, Georgetown, Canyon, Stillhouse

Pick6
06-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Not Texas but it's close, Beavers Bend State Park.

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Parks on U.S. Army Corps of Engineer Lakes in East Texas ... Sam Rayborn, Lake of the Pines, Somerville

Central Texas... Navarro Mills, Waco, Whitney, Proctor, Belton, Georgetown, Canyon, Stillhouse

yea from east Texas..spent many a weekends on the east tx lakes.

Emerson1
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Inks Lake State Park is pretty nice. Also Inks Lake is never below a foot down so you don't have to worry about your camping site being next to a dry lake bed.

Ex-Tiger2005
06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Inks Lake State Park is pretty nice. Also Inks Lake is never below a foot down so you don't have to worry about your camping site being next to a dry lake bed.

I will second this choice :thumbsup:

Bullaholic
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Anyone have links to great camping spots here in Texas?

Isle du Bois on Lake Ray Roberts---just across the dam out of Sanger is one of the nicest State Campgrounds around.

bwdlionfan
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Bend State Park on the Colorado is a pretty good spot. Nice swimming holes in fresh, cool spring water. Nice cliffs and so on.

BEAST

Has Bend been well kept when you were there? I've only been once, several years ago and it didn't seem very well kept. You couldn't even get to the river because the weeds were so thick and tall.

I did think the swimming holes along those spring fed creeks were cool though. Actually walked up on a couple that I don't think wanted to be walked up on (I think I interrupted what they were about to do)

Gsquared
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Has Bend been well kept when you were there? I've only been once, several years ago and it didn't seem very well kept. You couldn't even get to the river because the weeds were so thick and tall.

I did think the swimming holes along those spring fed creeks were cool though. Actually walked up on a couple that I don't think wanted to be walked up on (I think I interrupted what they were about to do)
That was you????

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
That was you????

I told u someone saw us

jason
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
i was at the corp of engineers park at lake proctor last week - it was pretty nice...

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Isle du Bois on Lake Ray Roberts---just across the dam out of Sanger is one of the nicest State Campgrounds around.

Also a Corps lake. :)

bwdlionfan
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
That was you????

If you were with the lady who had left her undergarments on a big rock next to the swimming hole, then yep, that was me!

Rabid Cougar
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers- Fort Worth District Lakes
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/rcshtml.pl?page=Recreation

The reservation service
http://www.Recreation.gov

BEAST
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

I was there last summer. It was clean and nice and I didnt see any action at the swimming holes.

BEAST

SOONER09
06-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Beavers Bend in southeast Oklahoma is one of the nicest spots around. I will be camping there in July.

IrishTex
06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by SOONER09
Beavers Bend in southeast Oklahoma is one of the nicest spots around. I will be camping there in July.

How do you get to it?

bigwood33
06-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Balmorhea State Park is a fantastic and beautiful camping experience but is is very remote. Krause Springs, between Austin and Marble Falls is privately held but a personal favorite (the water is about 71 degrees year round). I will also put a plug in for Beavers Bend.

I really prefer something in the Hill Country. Krause Springs or Lost Maples State Park are my personal favorites.

Pick6
06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
How do you get to it?

I get to it on a motorcycle :D

Farmersfan
06-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Beavers Bend is really nice. The water is very, very clean. I spend a lot of time RVing on Texoma. RVing is not the same as camping but I like the State Parks there because they have great public showers and facilities. The fishing is great and there is plenty of swimming/water sports if that's your thing. And it is HUGE!!!!!!! Besides, it's very convienent for me. In about an hour I can be there and pretty much set up.

Farmersfan
06-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
I get to it on a motorcycle :D

Is it comfortable for you in that sidecar Pick6?????

Pick6
06-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Is it comfortable for you in that sidecar Pick6?????

You can always ask your wife how comfortable it is :D

Farmersfan
06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
You can always ask your wife how comfortable it is :D

Dude!! If you are carrying my wife around in your sidecar then perhaps you could help me put tires on her truck?????

Deal? :D

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Balmorhea State Park is a fantastic and beautiful camping experience but is is very remote. Krause Springs, between Austin and Marble Falls is privately held but a personal favorite (the water is about 71 degrees year round). I will also put a plug in for Beavers Bend.

I really prefer something in the Hill Country. Krause Springs or Lost Maples State Park are my personal favorites.
Couldn't agree more on all counts. I was actually just going to post Krause Springs and Balmorhea, but forgot all about Lost Maples. Spent plenty of time out in Spicewood, took my wife there last summer for her first trip there. Beautiful area.

I also like Lost Pines in Bastrop, though it's not as nice as the others on this list. Still, there's a ton to do. Zip-lining, kayaking, etc.

Pick6
06-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Dude!! If you are carrying my wife around in your sidecar then perhaps you could help me put tires on her truck?????

Deal? :D

She's flatten my tires, i can see why her truck needs new tires

SOONER09
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
How do you get to it? Beavers Bend is is in the Southeast corner of Oklahoma just north of Idabel and Broken Bow. You can stay on Broken Bow Lake or below the dam which is Beavers Bend State Park.

Ranger Mom
06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Couldn't agree more on all counts. I was actually just going to post Krause Springs and Balmorhea, but forgot all about Lost Maples. Spent plenty of time out in Spicewood, took my wife there last summer for her first trip there. Beautiful area.

I also like Lost Pines in Bastrop, though it's not as nice as the others on this list. Still, there's a ton to do. Zip-lining, kayaking, etc.

I think Lost Maples is fairly close to where we always stay at Camp Wood.....Cooksey's Park.

It's right on the the dammed portion of the Nueces River and we always take a day to ride the Frio.

They have cabins, RV Spots and camp areas....we always just rough it in a tent.

These are some pics I took when we were there in 2008.

This was looking out to the river

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_74e87e098bed1fe523d0741e9c005047.jpg

The campsite next to us.....we had this one a couple of years ago..my kids loved that tree.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/27/l_68be8ae31cdc57f3b1acfae34bf9b153.jpg

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
The website texasescapes.com (http://www.texasescapes.com/default.htm)
has alot of info.

We did the Lost Maples/Vanderpool/Leakey trip and enjoyed it one year. We rented a rustic cabin with all of the amenities (the only way to camp, in my opinion).:)