PDA

View Full Version : All time favorite fiction books

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 07:30 AM
There is a very diverse group of people on the DL. I think it would be interesting to see what people read in the way of fiction. List your 3 most favorite fiction books and authors.

Wuthering Heights-Emily Bronte
Tale of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
The Count of Monte Cristo-Alexandre Dumas

Trashman
06-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Texas Administrative Code, Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 330, Subchapter A thru Y. :D

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Texas Administrative Code, Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 330, Subchapter A thru Y. :D

You left off the author.:D

Farmersfan
06-09-2010, 11:47 AM
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson

Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

Shannara series - Terry Brooks

Many, many others..................

Ernest T Bass
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Friday Night Lights
It Takes a Village to Raise a Child
The Audacity of Hope

Farmersfan
06-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Trashman

Daily:

TAC Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 285
TH&SC , Chapter 343 & Chapter 366
Texas Water Code, Title 2, Chapter 7

big daddy russ
06-09-2010, 12:12 PM
A few that come to mind:

Angels and Demons- Dan Brown

Digital Fortress- Dan Brown

DaVinci Code- Dan Brown

(see a pattern here?)

Honor Among Thieves- Jeffrey Archer

Bourne Series- Robert Ludlum

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
A few that come to mind:

Angels and Demons- Dan Brown

DaVinci Code- Dan Brown

(see a pattern here?)

Honor Among Thieves- Jeffrey Archer

Bourne Series- Robert Ludlum

I think Angels and Demons is Dan Brown's best book. Much better than the DaVinci Code.

SintonFan
06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson

We agreed on this some time back.:cool:

I'll add The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind.

Farmersfan
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
We agreed on this some time back.:cool:

I'll add The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind.

Also a very good series!

You ever read any Piers Anthony?

DU_stud04
06-09-2010, 01:36 PM
i was a big fan of goosebumps. its been a while though. i also enjoy a great where's waldo from time to time.

SintonFan
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Also a very good series!

You ever read any Piers Anthony?

All of it. Or at least many of his works.
I read a lot of the Xanth series when I was 10 and on. I then graduated to his more mature works. He's a good scifi/fantasy writer.

I think the last Xanth book I read was Isle of View.

I enjoyed the Adept series. Funky but pretty entertaining.

Have you read The Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny?
I need to go back and reread it.

I enjoyed the Shannara series.:cool:

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
The Dark Tower series - Stephen King

He is so weird!:D

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
The Dark Tower series - Stephen King

He is so weird!:D :doh: Too many to list. I like his short stories.

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:doh: Too many to list. I like his short stories.

I have read a lot of Stephen King's books. The circuits in his brain just aren't the same as everybody elses. Great writer in my opinion.

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I have read a lot of Stephen King's books. The circuits in his brain just aren't the same as everybody elses. Great writer in my opinion. Really is great. Yet, I don't know of any other writer who has had so many of his books slaughtered by movies. "It" was okay.

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Really is great. Yet, I don't know of any other writer who has had so many of his books slaughtered by movies. "It" was okay.

His books are very complicated. It would take a very long mini-series to do them justification.

I don't normally watch movies based on books that I have already read. Seems to always fall short.

The movie Green Mile did a fairly good representation of the book.

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
His books are very complicated. It would take a very long mini-series to do them justification. I think the SciFi and Chill channel loop all the movies based on his books.

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Riverworld series - Phillip Jose Farmer

Farmersfan
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the SciFi and Chill channel loop all the movies based on his books.

I think The Stand is one of the greatest mini-series ever produced. Close to Lonesome Dove! :D :D

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I think The Stand is one of the greatest mini-series ever produced. Close to Lonesome Dove! :D :D Yes, that was one movie/series that did it right.

Ernest T Bass
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, that was one movie/series that did it right.

Agreed, the only King movie adaptation that wasn't a huge disappointment.

MUSTANG69
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, that was one movie/series that did it right.

Lonesome Dove is my all time favorite. I have wore out one VHS tape and I now have a DVD of it. The Stand mini-series was pretty good.

Trashman
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
You left off the author.:D

A Village Idiot, in the basement of the TCEQ. :D

Trashman
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Daily:

TAC Title 30, Part 1, Chapter 285
TH&SC , Chapter 343 & Chapter 366
Texas Water Code, Title 2, Chapter 7

And I thought I dealt with some nasty stuff......:D

SintonFan
06-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Riverworld series - Phillip Jose Farmer

I have never read that series. I'll look for it.:cool:

Another to add is The Fionavar Tapestry series.
My bro recommended it and it was pretty good. A quick read and fairly original.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
A few that come to mind:

How good was that compared to the others?

His newest one is pretty good too.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I think Angels and Demons is Dan Brown's best book. Much better than the DaVinci Code.
Yes it is, but even the Lost Symbol (IMO his worst book to date) was a great read. Angels and Demons is my favorite book, but Digital Fortress is right there, too. Brown's undoubtedly my favorite author.

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Bag of Bones - Stephen King

The "Odd Thomas" Series - Dean Koontz

The Brethren - John Grisham

The "Prey" Series - John Sandford

The "Twilight" Series - Stephanie Meyer

The "House of Night" Series - P.C. Cast

I like all of the Stephen King and Dean Koontz novels, but the Odd Thomas books were the ones you felt like you had to wait forever until the next book came out.

Most of you folks that enjoy Stephen King should like the twisted mind of Dean Koontz as well.:cool:

MUSTANG69
06-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes it is, but even the Lost Symbol (IMO his worst book to date) was a great read. Angels and Demons is my favorite book, but Digital Fortress is right there, too. Brown's undoubtedly my favorite author.

Brown is right up there with Stephen King in my book.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
How good was that compared to the others?

His newest one is pretty good too.
Haha, see above.

Digital Fortress is actually my second-favorite of his books. I just read it a couple of weeks ago, and actually enjoyed it more than the DaVinci Code.

Still haven't read Deception Point, but of the four Dan Brown books I've read, they're all in my top five favorite fiction books.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Brown is right up there with Stephen King in my book.
I need to read some more King. Haven't read any of his books in a loooooong time and I've long since forgotten them.

Ranger Mom
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

The Brethren - John Grisham

The "Prey" Series - John Sandford

The "Twilight" Series - Stephanie Meyer

The "House of Night" Series - P.C. Cast

I like all of the Stephen King and Dean Koontz novels, but the Odd Thomas books were the ones you felt like you had to wait forever until the next book came out.

Most of you folks that enjoy Stephen King should like the twisted mind of Dean Koontz as well.:cool:

I have to be in the right frame of mind to read and comprehend King and Koontz...they seem to get quite deep at times.

For some easy reading.....I like pretty much anything John Saul writes. I have even been known to enjoy some of the V.C. Andrews series too. I thought My Sweet Audrina was good....back in the day. I was young when I read it, so it was really interesting then, I probably wouldn't care so much for it now!!

I read trashy romance novels more than anything!!!:D :D

SintonFan
06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I wish Nora Roberts would give me my wife back!:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

MUSTANG69
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I need to read some more King. Haven't read any of his books in a loooooong time and I've long since forgotten them.

I have had to read some of the Dark Tower books numerous times. He has taken so long between each book I have to go back and reread previous books to remember just what was going on. I am now on Dark Tower VII. I think this is the last in the series.

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Trashy romance novels are good too ... the trashier, the better.:D

Ranger Mom
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I wish Nora Roberts would give me my wife back!:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

LOL!!

I like Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, Sandra Brown.

I probably wouldn't like Sandra Brown as much as I do if the first book of hers I read hadn't had someone driving home from Big Spring and taking a wrong turn and ending up in Lamesa, where she had her baby on the side of the road that was delivered by a guy who lived in Midland and worked for Red Adair and the new mommy worked at the Midland Park Mall. :D :D :D

MUSTANG69
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
LOL!!

I probably wouldn't like Sandra Brown as much as I do if the first book of hers I read hadn't had someone driving home from Big Spring and taking a wrong turn and ending up in Lamesa, where she had her baby on the side of the road that was delivered by a guy who lived in Midland and worked for Red Adair and the new mommy worked at the Midland Park Mall. :D :D :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonFan
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
LOL!!

You really don't ever need to read. The way things happen to you and your family you should be the one writing the books.:nerd:

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
LOL!!

Yikes...I really was trying to figure out if this happened to you or was the plot of the story. I am kinda slow like that at times.:doh:

Txbroadcaster
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
As a kid..I loved a Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace..had very mature themes and was a great read

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i was a big fan of goosebumps. its been a while though. i also enjoy a great where's waldo from time to time.

I love both of these....you never get too old for either.:)

Farmersfan
06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Anybody read the Anne Rice books? How about all the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris? I really like the writing of these two but can't get past the "GAYNESS" of the Vampires. I like my vampires to be mean and nasty. The sensitive and caring vampire is a little over the top to me. (but I still read them).

AP Panther Fan
06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Anybody read the Anne Rice books? How about all the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris? I really like the writing of these two but can't get past the "GAYNESS" of the Vampires. I like my vampires to be mean and nasty. The sensitive and caring vampire is a little over the top to me. (but I still read them).

I haven't read the Ann Rice books, but liked the movie - Interview with the Vampire. Hard to go wrong with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in the same movie.

I have a co-worker that has the Sookie Stackhouse series. I just need to remind her to bring them to work.

Sounds like you would like the House of Night Series...there were some pretty mean and nasty vampires in those books.

carter08
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh wow.

I like everything I've read by Jeanette Winterson. O Pioneers by Willa Cather is a good book too.

Gatsby, of course. The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. As I Lay Dying by Faulkner.

Not fiction, but one of Nick Flynn's memoirs, the title of which would get me banned, is one of my favorite books.

Guilty pleasure: Agatha Christie. I used to like Dan Brown but now I realize his books are nothing but plot with no real characterization.

carter08
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Also, Twilight is horrible.

Reds fan
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I have always enjoyed reading James Michener, Texas and Alaska are great reads.

LH Panther Mom
06-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Apparently I didn't have a clue that Odd Thomas was a series! :doh: Stephen King and Dean Koontz are two of my favorite authors!

pirate4state
06-13-2010, 02:37 PM
:)

The Dr. Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell
The Dr. Alex Cross novels by James Patterson
Pretty much anything by Richard North Patterson, Stephen King,
Dan Brown, Jackie Collins :D, Sandra Brown, Judith Michael, Judith McNaught :D, John Grisham, Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer and of course, J.K. Rowling :nerd:

BreckTxLonghorn
06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

The Dr. Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell

I listen to the Scarpetta novels on long solo drives. Didn't think I'd like them, but they get really good about halfway through every time.

ronwx5x
06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Any and all of the "Prey" novels by John Sandford. Hope he lives and continues writing until I'm gone!

pirate4state
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I listen to the Scarpetta novels on long solo drives. Didn't think I'd like them, but they get really good about halfway through every time. :thumbsup:

Farmersfan
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
You guys ever read Battlefield earth by L. Ron Hubbard? Don't be fooled by the movie. The book is awesome. The movie sucked!

IHStangFan
06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Anything by Larry McMurtry, Louis L'Amore, or Dean Koontz.

AP Panther Fan
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Apparently I didn't have a clue that Odd Thomas was a series! :doh: Stephen King and Dean Koontz are two of my favorite authors!

Yep, check it (http://www.deankoontz.com/odd-thomas-series) out.

Cameron Crazy
06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Anything that Dan Brown writes.