PDA

View Full Version : Big/Pac/Big/SEC football (realignment) "stuff" (merged)

bobcat4life
06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I am. I want the Big 12 to stay th way it is. I dont mind the Pac 10 expanding but I want them to leave Big 12 teams alone. I would rather see them take Boise and Fresno St. to make a 12 team conference and the Big Ten take either Ohio University, Toledo, N. Illinois, or one of the directional Michigan Schools

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
It's all about the TV money. A lot of people said the same thing about the old SWC as it lay on its deathbed in 1993. Money trumps sentimentality, except for apparently being forced to include poor ol' Baylor in any deal. :D

Gobbler Fan
06-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I dont mind ... I always thought every major conference should have a Championship game and if the pac 10 is expanded or the big 10 thats exactly what will happen . On the other hand the smaller cofrences that dont have to play a Championship game are going to benefit from Major expansion by the bigger confrences .

Let the best Teams play each other ...I like it :thumbsup:

If this is what it takes to be able to watch games that are meaningful to us *not Notre Dame* on saturdays...... even better !

OldBison75
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Picture this:

In the near future there will be four major conferences with 16 teams each that are divided in north/south or east /west divisions. Those teams will play thier schedule and have divisional champions and then a conference champion. (64 teams)

That will leave four teams still standing. The remaining division one schools will soon be divided into the same format basically. (64 Teams)
That side will have division champs and conference champs that leave four teams standing. Now the scene is set for a playoff and championship game. (128 teams)

Week one matches the major conference champs against the second tier champs. (four games) Week 2 has the winners playing for the Semifinals. (2 games) Week 3 is the National Championship game.

Under this scenerio, each team could play 3 non-conference games and 7 conference games. the championship game would be week 11.

If a season started on the last Saturday in August and play was each week, then the division champs would be crowned on the second weekend of November.

Then round 1 could be two weeks later, or the last weekend of November. Then finals are the next week. Then round 2 could be the week after finals. And the Championship could be played on News Years Day.

bobcat4life
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I dont mind ... I always thought every major conference should have a Championship game and if the pac 10 is expanded or the big 10 thats exactly what will happen . On the other hand the smaller cofrences that dont have to play a Championship game are going to benefit from Major expansion by the bigger confrences .

but are their expansions worth disbanding another major cconference entirely? I dont think so at all

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Picture this:

In the near future there will be four major conferences with 16 teams each that are divided in north/south or east /west divisions. Those teams will play thier schedule and have divisional champions and then a conference champion. (64 teams)

That will leave four teams still standing. The remaining division one schools will soon be divided into the same format basically. (64 Teams)
That side will have division champs and conference champs that leave four teams standing. Now the scene is set for a playoff and championship game. (128 teams)

Week one matches the major conference champs against the second tier champs. (four games) Week 2 has the winners playing for the Semifinals. (2 games) Week 3 is the National Championship game.

Under this scenerio, each team could play 3 non-conference games and 7 conference games. the championship game would be week 11.

If a season started on the last Saturday in August and play was each week, then the division champs would be crowned on the second weekend of November.

Then round 1 could be two weeks later, or the last weekend of November. Then finals are the next week. Then round 2 could be the week after finals. And the Championship could be played on News Years Day.

I don't like that picture, because it shortens the football season.

ziggy29
06-06-2010, 09:20 PM
What I wanted went out the door when the courts ruled against the NCAA, that conferences could negotiate their own TV contracts. From that point on, traditions and geography mattered less than TV revenue. But that genie is out of the bottle now, so it is what it is.

Heck, I'd rather see a return to the old SWC, but the court decision and the money made that a non-starter.

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Picture this:

Then round 1 could be two weeks later, or the last weekend of November. Then finals are the next week. Then round 2 could be the week after finals. And the Championship could be played on News Years Day. Not going to happen...they are doing this expansion so that people will quit talking about playoffs IMO and the BCS can stay the way it is.

3afan
06-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I am. I want the Big 12 to stay th way it is. I dont mind the Pac 10 expanding but I want them to leave Big 12 teams alone. I would rather see them take Boise and Fresno St. to make a 12 team conference and the Big Ten take either Ohio University, Toledo, N. Illinois, or one of the directional Michigan Schools

why would the Big 10 even consider a MAC school? there is no up side for the B10 to do that

bobcat4life
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
why would the Big 10 even consider a MAC school? there is no up side for the B10 to do that I think they should only take Mizzou if they want a Big 12 school. I just dont want to see the Big 12 disband

Maroon87
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Not going to happen...they are doing this expansion so that people will quit talking about playoffs IMO and the BCS can stay the way it is.

If you ask me, the current re-alignment proposal would make a playoff system more plausible than ever.

Z-RO
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I cant wait until the pac10 and big12 merge, benefits Texas tremendously.

LE Dad
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I cant wait until the pac10 and big12 merge, benefits Texas tremendously. I think UT comes out on top regardless of what happens. BigXII is giving all types of concessions in order to keep them and Pac 10 will give just as much, if not more to get them.

Cowboy_Up
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Fans in TX love to bash the Pac-10.
You think Baylor, IA State, Tech, Ok ST, CU are better year in and year out then the middle of the road Pac-10 teams?
Just wait and see. Talk all you want, road trips to Tucson, Stanford, Oregon...gonna be all the Big-12 south teams want and more.

DDBooger
06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Fans in TX love to bash the Pac-10.
You think Baylor, IA State, Tech, Ok ST, CU are better year in and year out then the middle of the road Pac-10 teams?
Just wait and see. Talk all you want, road trips to Tucson, Stanford, Oregon...gonna be all the Big-12 south teams want and more. I agree, those won't be easy games. I like what Harbaugh is building there.

OldBison75
06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
The new move is to create four super conferences that will play a championship series. Likewise, there will be another disision that will play a championship series. Then those two champs will play for the National Championship. It may take a few years, but I bet it happens.

PHS Wildcats
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I was listening to Chip Brown on the Doug Gottleib show on ESPNRadio on XM and he says that sources are saying that Notre Dame is now considering joining the Big Ten and if that happens the Big Ten will not invite anyone else and the other conferences will stay intact with the exception that the Moutain West will then invite Bosie State.

BaseballUmp
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
The MWC already said they had no plans for expansion tho

LionKing
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
The MWC already said they had no plans for expansion tho It's possible that if the Big 12 folds, the MWC may look at Baylor (if they don't get a pac 10 invite) and a couple other Big 12 schools along with Boise.

ziggy29
06-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't like how the big money is changing the game, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
MWC said they are waiting to see what happens first. If Big 12 doesn't disband they will pick up Bosie...if it does disband I promise you they will push for Kansas, Kansas State...then it comes down to Colorado/Baylor (whichever one doesnt go) or Boise.

If its Colorado they'll take them over Boise but if its Baylor/Boise I think they choose Boise....then Baylor is really screwed.

ziggy29
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
The MWC already said they had no plans for expansion tho
I think they said no plans *at this time*. I took that to mean they were going to wait and see how other things shake up.

If little changes in the status quo, they may want Boise State. But if the Big 12 breaks up and you have schools like Baylor, Colorado, Kansas and Kansas State in play, you may want some or all of them instead of Boise.

I suspect every significant conference that intends to stick around wants to get to at least 12 teams for that championship game. But you don't want to take just anyone to get there.

Aesculus gilmus
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
MWC said they are waiting to see what happens first. If Big 12 doesn't disband they will pick up Bosie...if it does disband I promise you they will push for Kansas, Kansas State...then it comes down to Colorado/Baylor (whichever one doesnt go) or Boise.

If its Colorado they'll take them over Boise but if its Baylor/Boise I think they choose Boise....then Baylor is really screwed.

You don't understand. Baylor now has the Grand Inquisitor of Blow Jobs, Kenneth Starr, as its President. He knows what you did last summer and the one before that and so on. NO ONE is going anywhere without Baylor! ;)

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 03:21 PM
lol

DU_stud04
06-09-2010, 01:56 AM
:wave:

wildstangs
06-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Good riddance. 90% of Nebraska fans are still whining about 1 second being put back on the clock.

It will be fun to see a major shakeup in college football.

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Good riddance. 90% of Nebraska fans are still whining about 1 second being put back on the clock.

It will be fun to see a major shakeup in college football. and roll left :D

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Here's a thought -- Let's say Nebraska and Mizzou jump to the Big Televen.

In response, the Pac 10 absorbs six teams from the Big 12, leaving four teams in the Big 12 in the lurch (Baylor/Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State).

Wouldn't the four remaining teams in the Big 12 continue to own the rights to the automatic BCS bid given that conference? Couldn't they then just (say) invite some of the better programs in the Mountain West (and maybe CUSA and/or WAC) to join them to get them back up to 8-12 teams and have the BCS bid?

If the teams "left over" in the Big 12 retain their auto BCS bid, they'll be fine. Plenty of the top programs from non-AQ conferences would love to join them.

Gsquared
06-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29

In response, the Pac 10 absorbs six teams from the Big 12, leaving four teams in the Big 12 in the lurch (Baylor/Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State).

Wouldn't the four remaining teams in the Big 12 continue to own the rights to the automatic BCS bid given that conference? Couldn't they then just (say) invite some of the better programs in the Mountain West (and maybe CUSA and/or WAC) to join them to get them back up to 8-12 teams and have the BCS bid?

If the teams "left over" in the Big 12 retain their auto BCS bid, they'll be fine. Plenty of the top programs from non-AQ conferences would love to join them.
I dont think there would be enough $$$ generated from a new revised BIG 12 conference to get an automatic BCS bid. BCS is going to go where the money is. Probably wouldnt matter because the BCS as we know it will not exist once this is implemented.

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

If the teams "left over" in the Big 12 retain their auto BCS bid, they'll be fine. Plenty of the top programs from non-AQ conferences would love to join them. ziggy IMO Mizzou wants big 1eleven0 more than Big 1eleven0 wants them. If they can get Nebraska/Notre Dame I think Mizzou is left hanging

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Probably wouldnt matter because the BCS as we know it will not exist once this is implemented. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I dont think there would be enough $$$ generated from a new revised BIG 12 conference to get an automatic BCS bid. BCS is going to go where the money is. Probably wouldnt matter because the BCS as we know it will not exist once this is implemented.
Ultimately it might become moot if college football moves toward the four 16-team superconference concept -- but in the meantime I do believe that the Big 12 conference -- not the member schools -- has a contract with the BCS to get an auto bid in the Fiesta Bowl.

That being the case, the BCS could choose not to renew the contract based on relevant criteria with the Big 12 when it expires, but unless the contract has an "escape clause" for the BCS if certain criteria aren't met, I do think the four remaining schools in the Big 12 would still have the bid until the contract expires.

I'm not a lawyer or an expert here, but from what I've read it would seem the Big 12 keeps the AQ status for the life of the contract, provided that the conference maintains at least 8 member schools in play each season.

In the end, though, it may be moot in a few years and this is just interim jockeying for position. In the end, I do expect to see four 16-team conferences with the four champions becoming a "final four" in a playoff, but that's probably at least five years away IMO. I would think being in a BCS conference *now* improves your chances of becoming part of that group of 64.

Gsquared
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Ultimately it might become moot if college football moves toward the four 16-team superconference concept -- but in the meantime I do believe that the Big 12 conference -- not the member schools -- has a contract with the BCS to get an auto bid in the Fiesta Bowl.

That being the case, the BCS could choose not to renew the contract based on relevant criteria with the Big 12 when it expires, but unless the contract has an "escape clause" for the BCS if certain criteria aren't met, I do think the four remaining schools in the Big 12 would still have the bid until the contract expires.

I'm not a lawyer or an expert here, but from what I've read it would seem the Big 12 keeps the AQ status for the life of the contract, provided that the conference maintains at least 8 member schools in play each season.

In the end, though, it may be moot in a few years and this is just interim jockeying for position. In the end, I do expect to see four 16-team conferences with the four champions becoming a "final four" in a playoff, but that's probably at least five years away IMO. I would think being in a BCS conference *now* improves your chances of becoming part of that group of 64.

You are correct, there is still three years left on the BCS contract. I really dont think we will see changes made until that three years is up.

Green Bling
06-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Hate to see the Big 12 dissolve. I still haven't gotten over the Southwest Conf. debacle. WHYYYYYYY?!!! (Don't tell me anything logical about why. This is an emotional issue. No logic applies!!) :eek: :( :eek:

3afan
06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Norm Hitzges just said the Big 12 will soon be kaput:

UT, A&M, OU, Tech, OSU, Colo to Pac 10
Neb & Mizzou to Big 10
KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor to Mountain West

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/060910dnspocarltoncol.1c4f68a.html

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Norm Hitzges just said the Big 12 will soon be kaput:

UT, A&M, OU, Tech, OSU, Colo to Pac 10
Neb & Mizzou to Big 10
KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor to Mountain West
Interesting. Seems to me it should be the MWC to the Big 12 since the Big 12 has the AQ bid to the BCS. I know it's mostly the MWC schools that entity has no automatic BCS bid so it seems advantageous to keep the Big 12 name.

Gsquared
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Interesting. Seems to me it should be the MWC to the Big 12 since the Big 12 has the AQ bid to the BCS. I know it's mostly the MWC schools that entity has no automatic BCS bid so it seems advantageous to keep the Big 12 name.
Yeah but I think the Big 12 as it is will have to be until the BCS contract runs out in 3 years. If thats the case, in three years the BIG 12 dissolves and ceases to exist.

LE Dad
06-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Interesting. Seems to me it should be the MWC to the Big 12 since the Big 12 has the AQ bid to the BCS. I know it's mostly the MWC schools that entity has no automatic BCS bid so it seems advantageous to keep the Big 12 name. There is probably a clause that prevents this. The BCS was created for a select few, no way they would let some have nots get Auto bid. JMO

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah but I think the Big 12 as it is will have to be until the BCS contract runs out in 3 years. If thats the case, in three years the BIG 12 dissolves and ceases to exist.
Ah, yes -- looks like these moves would kick in for the 2012-13 academic year, and I believe the current BCS contract expires at the end of the 2011-12 academic year. So it would be moot at that point.

Spread It Out
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Interesting that nooone has been talking about Kansas being on the move to another conference. They have an elite basketball program, but I guess football trumps all in this case.

DU_stud04
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Interesting that nooone has been talking about Kansas being on the move to another conference. They have an elite basketball program, but I guess football trumps all in this case. hmmmm, kansas. you mean the same school that is BEGGING nebraska to stay in the big 12 so they can remain relevant and close to the texas cash cow? kansas is in the worst possible situation, everyone has a landing spot lined out with national tv spots and the big names, the auto-bcs bid..... who gets excited about the mountain west? kansas isnt going anywhere unless theyre forced to.

Phil C
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey let's not jump the gun here. Nebraska hasn't even been offered a spot in the Big 10.

sahen
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
actually Phil Fox has been reporting on their site that they have been offered...

Old Dog
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
All this shake up scares me that the federal government will try to step in and run things.....................this all is none of their business, but they are libel to try it !!!! God help us if that happens.

Excuse me for mentioning God, that's most likely against the rules somewhere!

DDBooger
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
All this shake up scares me that the federal government will try to step in and run things.....................this all is none of their business, but they are libel to try it !!!! God help us if that happens.

Excuse me for mentioning God, that's most likely against the rules somewhere! Did you hear this on Limbaugh? lol

Back to reality. I'm kind of anxious to see what happens. Ever since the SWC broke up, I really don't have any special affinity for the Big 12. I think the Pac-10 will be pretty awesome.

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog

Excuse me for mentioning God, that's most likely against the rules somewhere! Uhhhh...what?:confused: :crazy1: :helpme: Not sure where you got this from...

LE Dad
06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Did you hear this on Limbaugh? lol

Back to reality. I'm kind of anxious to see what happens. Ever since the SWC broke up, I really don't have any special affinity for the Big 12. I think the Pac-10 will be pretty awesome. I agree, since the Huskers are no longer feared year in and year out, it is time to find another "beast" to slay. I think the Pac 10 can provide that challenge and you keep all traditional rivalries intact.

IrishTex
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
You take two hours to conduct an on-line football chat and the world changes around you, with maybe the Big 12 disappearing in front of us.

Such is college football in June 2010, with the Big 12 maybe in the Final Countdown (Europe, 1986). Here's the latest:

1. Nebraska apparently has its Big Ten golden ticket now, if you believe Fox Sports Ohio. The cable TV channel reports that Nebraska to the Big 12 could be a done deal by Friday. One high-level Big 12 source pronounced that Nebraska to the Big Ten is a done deal. Another cautioned that Nebraska could still be negotiating a timetable for its full share of the Big Ten revenue pie, estimated at $20 million. Everybody said the Cornhuskers were the key to holding the conference together? If they announced they're gone by the end of the week, what next?

2. Expect the Big 12 to quickly hold a meeting of the remaining members about the possibility of going forward, either in person by teleconference. It might be a tough sell. Missouri, which may be stuck in the conference, will be a grudging partner. Those six schools involved in talks with the Pac-10 face a hard choice, especially with a great offer on the table for Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor. Do they hang around? Probably not?

3. Big 12 sources have confirmed that Texas and Texas A&M boards will be meeting Thursday. The discussion is likely to focus on remaining united on expansion (given Texas A&M's on-again, off-again interest in the SEC) and the Colorado vs. Baylor issue regarding the Pac-10. Things are moving quickly.

4. Baylor and Colorado continue to jockey for position. If any Pac-10 presidents still have open minds about the process, the news today that Colorado will lose four football scholarships and one in men's basketball. Baylor is solid across the board. For those interested in academics, that's an interesting development.

More to come. ...

Source (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/nebraska-a-done-deal-and-is-the-big-12-j.html)

Matthew328
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
I am excited about the new Mt West. I think this is what you might see

West Division
UNLV
San Diego St
BYU
Utah
Boise St
Wyoming
New Mexico

East Division
TCU
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas St
Air Force
Colorado St
Iowa St

This would be as good if not better than a potential combo platter of ACC/Big East leftovers

Eagle Eyes
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
If this does go down, when would it start?

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If this does go down, when would it start? I believe starting in the 2012 season as that will be the two year notification that a team must give the big 12 before leaving unless they want to buy themselves out of the big 12

crzyjournalist03
06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I believe starting in the 2012 season as that will be the two year notification that a team must give the big 12 before leaving unless they want to buy themselves out of the big 12

It could start as early as this season if Nebraska wants to be in the Big Ten enough...they could buy their way out of the Big XII with the rumored $20 million a year deal that they'll be getting from the Big Ten.

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Chip Brown of OB's said that Dodds/UT President told Texas coaches that they did everything they could to save the big 12 but was unsuccessful.

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
It could start as early as this season if Nebraska wants to be in the Big Ten enough...they could buy their way out of the Big XII with the rumored $20 million a year deal that they'll be getting from the Big Ten.

It will take at least a year to get everything in order with schedules and all that...look for 2010 to be the last football season of the Big 12

and they wont have to buyout if at least 9 members vote to eliminate the buyout rule

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It will take at least a year to get everything in order with schedules and all that...look for 2010 to be the last football season of the Big 12

and they wont have to buyout if at least 9 members vote to eliminate the buyout rule You think that if only 7 or 8 want to leave that the remaining 4 or 5 would let them leave without a penalty?

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 05:36 PM

and they wont have to buyout if at least 9 members vote to eliminate the buyout rule txbc, the 6 schools to the pac 10 plus the Nebraska/Mizzou who else do you think would vote for it? That is only 8

I don't see any of the other schools voting it for because from my understanding part of the buyouts are going to be distributed among the remaining big 12 teams.

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
The remaining schools wont block it because they wont be staying in the conference either

sinton66
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, one thing's for sure. If those six schools go to the Pac10, all of a sudden the Pac10 will become relevant.

Phil C
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
This is a big loss. You have to remember that Nebraska had great teams in the 1990s. In fact only a 2 point loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl prevented them from having a record three straight national championships. And they had perfect 13-0 records in National Champions in 1994 and 1995. They totally dominated football. You have to remember that every NC has always had some extremely close games during the year. For example in 2005 UT had very close games with USC and Ohio State. In 1994 Nebraska's closest game was a 13 - 3 win over Oklahoma and in 1995 the closest game was a 35 to 21 win over Washington State. That is dominance with closest games being one by double digits. It is a shame the Big 12 is losing them.

:(

Phil C
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Now there is talk about the Aggies leaving Texas to join the SEC!

:eek:

Scary times indeed. :(

Phil C
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
COME ON TOUR DE FRANCE! I NEED SOME DISTRACTION FROM ALL THIS DISTURBING NEWS INDEED. :(

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Now there is talk about the Aggies leaving Texas to join the SEC!

:eek:

Scary times indeed. :( Wherever Texas goes aggie will follow. legislature won't let them split at all

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
2. Expect the Big 12 to quickly hold a meeting of the remaining members about the possibility of going forward, either in person by teleconference. It might be a tough sell. Missouri, which may be stuck in the conference, will be a grudging partner. Those six schools involved in talks with the Pac-10 face a hard choice, especially with a great offer on the table for Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor. Do they hang around? Probably not?

If Missouri doesn't leave, the Big 12 can remain viable by simply adding TCU or maybe even Arkansas.

But that requires an immediate commitment from Missouri to stay put. If they can't and won't do that, then the Pac-16 is probably the next step.

Old Tiger
06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2079/pac10big10tower.jpg

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
If Missouri doesn't leave, the Big 12 can remain viable by simply adding TCU or maybe even Arkansas.

But that requires an immediate commitment from Missouri to stay put. If they can't and won't do that, then the Pac-16 is probably the next step.

arkansas will not lose money to leave the SEC..TCU is not a big enough name to assure everyone stays

ziggy29
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
arkansas will not lose money to leave the SEC..TCU is not a big enough name to assure everyone stays
In the long run I think you're right. But these would just be possible steps in dominoes that kept falling.

It may be that the Big 10 wants Notre Dame (which has engaged in talks but may have unacceptable preconditions), but Nebraska is their next pick. Some have said they want both but 13 is a very odd number to have in a conference, especially with two divisions where all teams have to play the same number of conference games.

The other obvious alternative is that what's left of the Big 12 merge with the Mountain West, which in reality may be the most feasible outcome.

turbostud
06-09-2010, 09:11 PM
SouthWest Conference! SouthWest Conference! SouthWest Conference!

bobcat4life
06-09-2010, 11:37 PM
with Friday as the deadline, will the big 12 disband or remain intact

bigwood33
06-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I had talked myself into believing that this whole Pac 16 thing would blow over but it doesn't appear that will happen. I have never liked the Pac 10 and I hate this but it looks like we will be joining those snooty, liberal Cal schools. This sucks!

Phil C
06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
What is strange in all this confusion and discussion is the absence of Oklahoma. They have been quiet.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

LionKing
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I've never been a fan of conference championship games either, especially the automatic BCS bid for winning the game.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The conference championship brings millions of dollars to the conferences every year. Why don't coaches in the Big XII like it?

If there's no conference championship, I doubt the BCS will want to award two automatic berths. This could crumble the whole thing, leaving the Big XII to find a replacement team. (Kentucky? Louisville? TCU? Utah? BYU?)

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LionKing
I've never been a fan of conference championship games either, especially the automatic BCS bid for winning the game.
This I don't understand. To me this is sort of like saying a team shouldn't automatically go to the Super Bowl if they win the AFC or NFC Championship game. It's like saying winners of the ALCS and NLCS shouldn't get automatic bids to the World Series.

Pick6
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
This I don't understand. To me this is sort of like saying a team shouldn't automatically go to the Super Bowl if they win the AFC or NFC Championship game. It's like saying winners of the ALCS and NLCS shouldn't get automatic bids to the World Series.

I guess the MAC, C-USA and WAC champions should get automatic bids to the BCS then.

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
I guess the MAC, C-USA and WAC champions should get automatic bids to the BCS then.
I think you missed my point. My point is that if there are BCS bids guaranteed to a conference, why would they go to anyone but the conference champion? That's not the same thing as saying all conferences should have an auto bid.

Pick6
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I think you missed my point. My point is that if there are BCS bids guaranteed to a conference, why would they go to anyone but the conference champion? That's not the same thing as saying all conferences should have an auto bid.

I think LionKing's point was no one should get an automatic bid.

LionKing
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
This I don't understand. To me this is sort of like saying a team shouldn't automatically go to the Super Bowl if they win the AFC or NFC Championship game. It's like saying winners of the ALCS and NLCS shouldn't get automatic bids to the World Series. Your way off, it's more like an NFL team winning it's regular season division, then having a division championship game the next week against a team it just beat for the division title, then the possibilty of the team that lost the division title the chance to get an automatic bid to the Super Bowl, the team that won the outright division title should get the automatic bid.

LionKing
06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I think you missed my point. My point is that if there are BCS bids guaranteed to a conference, why would they go to anyone but the conference champion? That's not the same thing as saying all conferences should have an auto bid. That's kinda what I mean, but if there is an auotmatic bid, it should be for a season championship, not for one game, that's why coaches don't like the conference championship game.

turbostud
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Colorado just announced they are leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 10.
What about Boise St to the Big 12 to try to keep it alive?

Ernest T Bass
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Big XII coaches dont like it b/c not everyone has a conference championship. Lots of teams have lost spots in the MNC with a one loss record, that one loss coming from the conference championship. While teams in the Pac 10 and the Big 11 Ten just have to finish out their season, Big XII and SEC teams have to play one more game against an obviously dangerous team with nothing to lose.

LionKing
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
What about Boise St to the Big 12 to try to keep it alive? turbostud, it ain't happening.

LionKing
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Big XII coaches dont like it b/c not everyone has a conference championship. Lots of teams have lost spots in the MNC with a one loss record, that one loss coming from the conference championship. While teams in the Pac 10 and the Big 11 Ten just have to finish out their season, Big XII and SEC teams have to play one more game against an obviously dangerous team with nothing to lose. You hit it on the head.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
leaving the Big XII to find a replacement team. (Kentucky? Louisville? TCU? Utah? BYU?)

The big rumors swirling are BYU.....and Air Force (keeps the Colorado market I guess?)

95mustang
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
What about Boise St to the Big 12 to try to keep it alive?

Colorado is making this move inorder to keep Baylor from getting their spot in the PAC-16. They figured if they waited on the Texas schools to make a decision they could possibly be left out of the group.

NastySlot
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
just read that Colorado could be next team to bolt the big xii..........if the pac takes colorado...what happens to baylor.

imo...id rather see texas and a&m join a real football conference...the sec.

i know i've read the post about low academic status of sec schools.....but thought this was about making money and football....not spelling contest and reserach money. i find it hard to believe that low academic standards of the sec really fail to produce college grads that don t go on to run their state govts and national corps etc like those in any other conference.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Big XII coaches dont like it b/c not everyone has a conference championship. Lots of teams have lost spots in the MNC with a one loss record, that one loss coming from the conference championship. While teams in the Pac 10 and the Big 11 Ten just have to finish out their season, Big XII and SEC teams have to play one more game against an obviously dangerous team with nothing to lose.

But if the Big Ten and Pac-10 expand, then everybody has a conference championship.

Heck, the main reason that the Big Ten is expanding is so that they CAN have a conference championship.

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I had talked myself into believing that this whole Pac 16 thing would blow over but it doesn't appear that will happen. I have never liked the Pac 10 and I hate this but it looks like we will be joining those snooty, liberal Cal schools. This sucks!
To me there is a huge cultural and political divide between Big 12 country and the Pacific coast. I just see no cohesion there at all, but I guess it won't be relevant for more than 1-2 games a year.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
just read that Colorado could be next team to bolt the big xii..........if the pac takes colorado...what happens to baylor.

i know i've read the post about low academic status of sec schools.....but thought this was about making money and football....not spelling contest and reserach money. i find it hard to believe that low academic standards of the sec really fail to produce college grads that don t go on to run their state govts and national corps etc like those in any other conference.

If there's a move, Texas will want to keep Oklahoma almost as much as they want to keep A&M. Oklahoma will want to keep Oklahoma State as much as they want to keep Texas. IMO, it's a four-team block that is pretty much inseparable.

Ernest T Bass
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
But if the Big Ten and Pac-10 expand, then everybody has a conference championship.

Then everyone will be happy. It's just when some conferences have it, while others dont, that people are unhappy.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Texas and Texas A&M both make more money in Research & Development than in their football programs. Can't speak for A&M, but here's a little bit of info on Texas:

In football revenue for 07-08, Texas generated a whopping $72.95 MILLION dollars. Not bad at all; one of the tops in the nation.

HOWEVER, In R&D Expenditures (which is the way of saying Grants given/used for R&D) for FY07, Texas had $446.7MM!! And to clarify that, half of that number is used for the actual research; the other half goes into the school's general overhead fund. That's $223MM, just to help Texas run.

If it's all about money, no way a school like Texas would even risk taking a decrease in those funds.

EDIT: Just for comparison, Texas wasn't even the no.1 Big12 RD school in FY07. A&M had $543MM, and Coloradio had $527MM.

IrishTex
06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
The Pac-10 conference announced Thursday that the University of Colorado has agreed to leave the Big 12 to join its conference.

"This is an historic moment for the Conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth," commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement.

"The University of Colorado is a great fit for the Conference both academically and athletically and we are incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10.

Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438)

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Then everyone will be happy. It's just when some conferences have it, while others dont, that people are unhappy.

But if the Pac-16 gets two bids while the other conferences just get one, you're going to have a bunch of unhappy other conferences.

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
But if the Pac-16 gets two bids while the other conferences just get one, you're going to have a bunch of unhappy other conferences.
It's like a dog chasing its tail.

Some teams have a conference championship by expanding to 12, then everyone (mostly) wants to expand to 12 for the revenue from a championship.

Give two automatic bids for having 16 teams, and every conference will have 16 teams. Then we'd have probably four 16-team megaconferences with two automatic bids each. Sounds like the makings of an 8-team playoff...

JasperDog94
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Give two automatic bids for having 16 teams, and every conference will have 16 teams. Then we'd have probably four 16-team megaconferences with two automatic bids each. Sounds like the makings of an 8-team playoff... Which is precisely why it won't happen.:(

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Just a thought, but why wouldn't the Big XII "leftovers" (Kansas, KSU, Baylor, ISU) absorb some elite mid-majors to fill in the spots instead of the Mountain West absorbing them? The Big XII has an automatic BCS tie-in, generating some big revenue. If they could snag, say, TCU, Boise, Utah, Houston, BYU, etc, that would be a pretty strong football conference. On top of that, it'd be a tough baseball conference and a solid hoops conference (especially if Houston keeps getting stronger and adding onto their facilities after the loss of Penders).

Is there some sort of clause that says that the Big XII has to comprise Nebraska, UT, and OU?

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
It appears the Pac 10 may have jumped at Colorado first in order to avoid being forced to accept Baylor if they want Texas.

The question now becomes partially political; namely, how much political pressure from the statehouse will UT, A&M and Tech be under to not jump ship without Baylor? Because the Colorado move pretty much eliminates the potential of Baylor to the Pac 16.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Depends on Ann Richards ghost

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Is Yell practice the Aggies have taking place in Berkeley. They think austin is full of hippies just imagine that

Aesculus gilmus
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Depends on Ann Richards ghost

Or if Ken Starr has surveillance video of the various administrative decision-makers engaged in Monica-style shenanigans. I'm guessing he doesn't or he would have presented them, if not to a grand jury, at least to the court of public opinion by now.

Be_Advised
06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Put a fork in it, the Big 12 is done.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Put a fork in it, the Big 12 is done. big 12 isn't done unless Texas decides to leave

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Is Yell practice the Aggies have taking place in Berkeley. They think austin is full of hippies just imagine that
What will go down as the most liberal campus in the Pac-16; Austin, Boulder, or Berkley?

Eagle Eyes
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
big 12 isn't done unless Texas decides to leave :iagree:

Texas is the cash cow of the Big 12.
The Big 12 is over when Texas says it is over.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
What will go down as the most liberal campus in the Pac-16; Austin, Boulder, or Berkley? Berkeley by far imo

NastySlot
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Eyes
:iagree:

The Big 12 is over when Texas says it is over.

keep on telling yourself this....texas can go to what ever conference they want?.....sure they are a cash cow....but nebraska moving to big 10 and colorado leaving for the pac 10....the conference is dead....a texas move would mean taking little brothers with them(a&m tech and baylor)...which looks like it may leave them in weaker big 12.

baylor reminds of fredo of the oldest brother in the movie the Godfather......a&m is sonny and of course texas is micheal.

LionKing
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Eyes
:iagree:

The Big 12 is over when Texas says it is over. Texas says it's over, just haven't said it ''oficially''.

LE Dad
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
Texas says it's over, just haven't said it ''oficially''. +1

Aesculus gilmus
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Texas is a far better fit culturally with the Pac 10. The other schools probably are not. Witness Aggy's fan base clamoring to join the SEC.

Unfortunately for Aggy, Goodhair has supposedly given the word that Aggy has to stick with "TU" wherever the latter decides to go.

CU stole a march on BU this morning and went ahead and blew up the Big 12 by Pac'ing it in, but the word was that those odious, godless, commie pinkos at Berkeley had already blackballed the Waco Bears. No room for any more ursine mascots in the Pac 16 or Pacific Southwest or whatever it winds up being called.

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Texas is a far better fit culturally with the Pac 10. The other schools probably are not. Witness Aggy's fan base clamoring to join the SEC.

Austin and Boulder are the closest thing the Big 12 has to places like Berkeley and Eugene, so yeah...

Aesculus gilmus
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
If you know anything about Texas, you'd know that there's no way it would ever stoop to join the lowly SEC.

Now I know a lot of ATM fans would feel a lot more at home in Dixie than on the Left Coast, but your and my governor (who is the first and only graduate of Texas A&M ever to serve in that capacity) has made it clear that ATM is going wherever the Horns go.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Could it be set up like this with no conference championships and the winners from each divison of each conference goes into a 8 team playoff

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Here's an idea for the teams being left out (Baylor, Kansas, K. State, Iowa State, possibly Mizzou):

It takes nine votes according to the bylaws to dissolve the Big XII. So if those four band together, they can force all eight of the other teams to buy their way out of the conference. Then, the remaining 4-5 could go pursue other leagues to rebuild their own version of the Big XII while keeping an automatic berth in the BCS (which would most likely also spurn all the teams leaving for the PAC-16 as they'd have almost no shot at a second automatic berth if a Big XII still existed).

So, for geographical and competitive purposes, the Big XII tries to bring in some of the following teams:

TCU
SMU
Houston
Boise State
Utah
Utah State
Air Force
Louisville
BYU
Cincinnati

turbostud
06-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Dont forget about Rice. Their baseball program is good, they could be a factor.

Pendragon13
06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Here's an idea for the teams being left out (Baylor, Kansas, K. State, Iowa State, possibly Mizzou):

It takes nine votes according to the bylaws to dissolve the Big XII. So if those four band together, they can force all eight of the other teams to buy their way out of the conference. Then, the remaining 4-5 could go pursue other leagues to rebuild their own version of the Big XII while keeping an automatic berth in the BCS (which would most likely also spurn all the teams leaving for the PAC-16 as they'd have almost no shot at a second automatic berth if a Big XII still existed).

So, for geographical and competitive purposes, the Big XII tries to bring in some of the following teams:

TCU
SMU
Houston
Boise State
Utah
Utah State
Air Force
Louisville
BYU
Cincinnati Except competition and geography aren't the priority these days...tv markets ($$$$) are however. TCU, SMU and Houston are already in markets the Big 12 covers...and none of the other schools in your list have enough tv sets to make the "neo-Big 12" attractive to the tv networks.

Phil C
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I hope UT doesn't go to the SEC and with Colorado going to the Pac 10 I am beginning to hope we don't go there especially since they are saying they want us but not Baylor. Of course I don't want to go to the Big 10 either. I don't know what I want!
HELP! :(

DDBooger
06-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I hope UT doesn't go to the SEC and with Colorado going to the Pac 10 I am beginning to hope we don't go there especially since they are saying they want us but not Baylor. Of course I don't want to go to the Big 10 either. I don't know what I want!
HELP! :( Sounds like you need some Pelican West Band

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Big 12 is done....MWC, Conference USA, and Sun Belt will pluck the remaining teams.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Big 12 is done....MWC, Conference USA, and Sun Belt will pluck the remaining teams.

I sincerely doubt any of the remaining Big XII teams end up in the Sun Belt...that would be a really low blow, and that's coming from a graduate of a Sun Belt school.

Old Tiger
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I sincerely doubt any of the remaining Big XII teams end up in the Sun Belt...that would be a really low blow, and that's coming from a graduate of a Sun Belt school. Iowa State says we'll take what we can get

JasperDog94
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Iowa State says we'll take what we can get Maybe they can actually be relevant. :D

ziggy29
06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
TCU, SMU and Houston are already in markets the Big 12 covers...

If UT, A&M and Tech are all gone, the only Texas market the remnants of the Big 12 would have is Waco. Only UT (and to a lesser degree, A&M) are a draw in all major markets in the state. SMU and TCU would overlap the DFW market, and Houston would be a fairly logical choice as a Top 10 media market.

In reality, if you took the Big XII "leftovers" and combined them with the best of the MWC, C-USA and WAC, you'd have a pretty strong conference. The question would be whether you had enough TV sets.

marler1972
06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Look for KU and KState to head to a "Basketball" confrence on the East Coast.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
If UT, A&M and Tech are all gone, the only Texas market the remnants of the Big 12 would have is Waco. Only UT (and to a lesser degree, A&M) are a draw in all major markets in the state. SMU and TCU would overlap the DFW market, and Houston would be a fairly logical choice as a Top 10 media market.

In reality, if you took the Big XII "leftovers" and combined them with the best of the MWC, C-USA and WAC, you'd have a pretty strong conference. The question would be whether you had enough TV sets.

You read a lot of my thinking there. I think that the SMU-TCU rivalry would have potential to regrow if they were in the same conference again.

NateDawg39
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Ive taken a trip to Berkley...that place is 10 times more liberal that Austin, Boulder and the United States combined from what I could see.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I always had the Big XII campuses rated Boulder then Austin in terms of liberal places. Hell, those are probably two of the 25 or so most liberal campuses in the US. Never been to Berkley, but I've been to Tucson (another liberal Pac-10 campus), and both Austin and Boulder blow Arizona away.

Still, Tucson's a fun place in it's own right.

It'd be pretty neat to take a trip out to the Bay Area for a game.

big daddy russ
06-10-2010, 06:12 PM

TCU
SMU
Houston
Boise State
Utah
Utah State
Air Force
Louisville
BYU
Cincinnati
Thanks for clearing that up!

IrishTex
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/06/10/0610-pac10-oklahoma-ex.jpg

A source in the OK State athletic department tells TMZ Sports the move is a "done deal." The Pac-10 just made it official that Colorado is also jumping off the Big 12 ship.

We're told it's "just a matter of time" before the OK State announcement is also made. It's been rumored that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M will also join the new super conference. Nebraska, it's widely believed, will go to the Big 10.

As for why this is all going down -- our source says "everyone wants a playoff system ... and this is the first step toward doing it."

Source (http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/10/oklahoma-state-pacific-10-ncaa-conferences-football-big-12/)

coach
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
i heard that texas is going to the pac 10 and atm is going to the sec.....anybody else hear this and what do you think about it?

Old Tiger
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
nope...just a rumor. Texas/A&M stick together like white on rice

coach
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
thats what i think to

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
nope...just a rumor. Texas/A&M stick together like white on rice
I used to think so, too. But I suspect A&M is getting a little frustrated with the changing landscape of college football, which pretty much guarantee A&M will be nothing more than UT's clumsy kid brother as long as they are in the same conference.

In terms of football exposure, NFL attention and chances to win championships, no top recruit has a reason to choose A&M over UT if that is their primary motivation. But if A&M had an SEC affiliation, that could change the mind of some recruits who want to stay in Texas but wanted to play in what is considered by many to be the top conference in the country. Right now they are relegated to getting the rest of what UT didn't want with their "first pick".

In reality, I think if UT and A&M continue to stick together it will be increasingly because of political demands that they not be separated.

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
duplicate -- never mind...

LionKing
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
A&M to the SEC will not help them a bit recruiting wise, all it would do is help LSU, Bama, and other SEC schools even more, and give the SEC the TV market in Texas they want along with the recruiting in-roads, A&M would also lose the big UT-A&M game, and all conference games would be against OOS schools that would kick their butts, it's a lose-lose situation if the Aggies go SEC.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I think A&M to the SEC would eventually work.....use the old Florida model...Three major schools in three different conferences. All this talk A&M needs Texas....another site had A&M wanting to go to the SEC....and wanting a guarantee to keep the Texas game on the schedule....but rumor has it the Horns threating to end the series if A&M went on its' own.

Idk what to think it's getting to be a mess..why couldn't the state of Texas support universities in different conferences.

and i've heard the move to SEC really worked out well for Arkansas when they left......well Arizona and ASU haven't done too much in a weaker conference since joining in 78.

whats wrong with the Horns and Aggies going to the SEC....other than that Texas would be just another good football team and the Ag's would have too work harder to catch up....the SEC is football........heck the other sports ain't that bad.

Old Tiger
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I think A&M to the SEC would eventually work.....use the old Florida model...Three major schools in three different conferences. All this talk A&M needs Texas....another site had A&M wanting to go to the SEC....and wanting a guarantee to keep the Texas game on the schedule....but rumor has it the Horns threating to end the series if A&M went on its' own.

Idk what to think it's getting to be a mess..why couldn't the state of Texas support universities in different conferences.

and i've heard the move to SEC really worked out well for Arkansas when they left......well Arizona and ASU haven't done too much in a weaker conference since joining in 78.

whats wrong with the Horns and Aggies going to the SEC....other than that Texas would be just another good football team and the Ag's would have too work harder to catch up....the SEC is football........heck the other sports ain't that bad. Texas doesn't want SEC at all because of their academics or lack there of

BEAST
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Texas doesn't want SEC at all because of their academics or lack there of

And possibly because they felt the beat down Alabama put on them.

BEAST

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Texas doesn't want SEC at all because of their academics or lack there of

i still don't get that because of their academics.....its football.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:12 PM
so nebraska is gone next year....and colorado is making press conference with the PAC 10 logo on their scoreboard.

and the latest rumor Texas Board or Regents meeting on Tuesday....what will they do?

here's a plan...how about Texas go independent.....maybe Notre Dame has it right.....own TV contract.....seven home games.

Old Tiger
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
i still don't get that because of their academics.....its football. To all the other schools its just football but IMO to Texas its whats best for the school academically as well as athletically. Texas makes money regardless of the TV revenue stuff because of merchandise and etc.

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
so nebraska is gone next year....and colorado is making press conference with the PAC 10 logo on their scoreboard.

and the latest rumor Texas Board or Regents meeting on Tuesday....what will they do?

here's a plan...how about Texas go independent.....maybe Notre Dame has it right.....own TV contract.....seven home games.

I think any school can also see how it has hurt ND AND they have the BCS rules in their favor but they cant even get in on a consistent basis

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I think any school can also see how it has hurt ND AND they have the BCS rules in their favor but they cant even get in on a consistent basis
Agreed. Like it or not, membership in an "elite" conference is an absolute necessity in today's business -- yes, *business* -- of college football.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
To all the other schools its just football but IMO to Texas its whats best for the school academically as well as athletically. Texas makes money regardless of the TV revenue stuff because of merchandise and etc.

right I understand....Texas makes money but what does academic standards of Ole Miss, Vandy, Florida, etc have to do with not wanting to play to play in the best Football Conference in the Nation...........and again the other sports aren't that bad either......heck the Horns and Ag's would fit in well.

if we think that PAC 10 schools are going to flood to Austin, Lubbock and CS....were dreaming. There is money to be made from the fans of SEC...they don't travel....they take over. Every game would be like a Texas/OU weekend.

just wondering where can I find this list of tier I schools.....

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 03:24 PM
right I understand....Texas makes money but what does academic standards of Ole Miss, Vandy, Florida, etc have to do with not wanting to play to play in the best Football Conference in the Nation...........and again the other sports aren't that bad either......heck the Horns and Ag's would fit in well.

if we think that PAC 10 schools are going to flood to Austin, Lubbock and CS....were dreaming. There is money to be made from the fans of SEC...they don't travel....they take over. Every game would be like a Texas/OU weekend.

I dont think UT fits in well in SEC..and the whole travel thing..for the most part Texas would still be playing OU in Dallas..OSU..TTECH and then Zona and Zona State ...they would only play ONE home game agianst the other division a year.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:25 PM

sure they haven't been a player in the BCS....but they aren't hurting for money and they haven't laxed their academic standards....except maybe for finally allowing freshman to redshirt......ND i think really might have it right.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
not an attempt to hijack the thread...but txbroadcaster caught the webcast of celina and north lamar.....you guys did a great job...and thanks for sharing that with us that was good stuff.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I dont think UT fits in well in SEC..and the whole travel thing..for the most part Texas would still be playing OU in Dallas..OSU..TTECH and then Zona and Zona State ...they would only play ONE home game agianst the other division a year.

idk...I think Texas is great fit.....100,000+ to watch games....at Texas just like all the schools of the SEC..football is an event...a religion a Tradition.... fans are part of the weekend and games. In the PAC 10 you go to games if there is nothing else to do.

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
not an attempt to hijack the thread...but txbroadcaster caught the webcast of celina and north lamar.....you guys did a great job...and thanks for sharing that with us that was good stuff.

lol thanks..Starting next week we will roll out our DCTF review shows!

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM
idk...I think Texas is great fit.....100,000+ to watch games....at Texas just like all the schools of the SEC..football is an event...a religion a Tradition.... fans are part of the weekend and games. In the PAC 10 you go to games if there is nothing else to do.

but like mentioned before..at Texas is actually is NOT just about football. I think the whole attitude of Texas and the campus fits in better with Pac teams

and again they will only be playing 3-4 games a year agianst non Big 12 teams inside the conference..I think the newness of playing a USC out there or at home every few years is going to be electric. Same with any of those schools.

I think Texas fans will LOVE to travel to UCLA in November instead of up to 30 degree Nebraska.

Aesculus gilmus
06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
but like mentioned before..at Texas is actually is NOT just about football. I think the whole attitude of Texas and the campus fits in better with Pac teams

and again they will only be playing 3-4 games a year agianst non Big 12 teams inside the conference..I think the newness of playing a USC out there or at home every few years is going to be electric. Same with any of those schools.

I think Texas fans will LOVE to travel to UCLA in November instead of up to 30 degree Nebraska.

If anyone has ever lived in Austin, much less gone to UT (and I've done both), you realize it's NOT a Southern, Old Confederacy, mint julep-sipping-on-the-veranda kind of town. It is culturally more attuned to the West. And, yeah, Austinites and many UT alums tend to be (said with a condescending Limbaugh sneer here) "lib'ruls," especially compared to their counterparts in Aggieland.

There is no doubt TAMU is a perfect cultural fit with the SEC. Go for it, Ags. No one will miss you. You'll have to revise some lyrics in some songs and also drop some traditions, but I FULLY UNDERSTAND why y'all want to go to Dixieland.

DDBooger
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/06/11/official_ut_tec.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

A highly-placed official from a Big 12 school confirmed Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pac-10 Conference once formal offers are made to them, but said that Texas A&M officials remain on the fence between joining the Pac-10 or the SEC.

“The decision has been made,” the official told the American-Statesman. “We’re bringing everybody to the Pac-10 but A&M.”

The official said the Aggies have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10’s offer. The official also said those formal offers could be made over the weekend.

The Texas board of regents have called an 11 a.m. meeting next Tuesday, and a formal announcement is expected later that day. Regents at Texas Tech also will meet on Tuesday, at 2 p.m.

The official, who has knowledge of Thursday’s meeting in Austin between Texas and Texas A&M officials, said the Aggies are torn about which direction to take. When asked to confirm rumors that A&M president R. Bowen Loftin wants to explore joining the SEC but that Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne wants to go the Pac-10, the official said, “I think you’re 100 percent right.”

Also, the official said, even A&M regents are split. That includes former A&M and Alabama coach Gene Stallings, who is pushing hard for A&M to go to the SEC.

“A&M is sitting on the fence,” the official said.

On Thursday, Stallings told the American-Statesman that if Nebraska left the Big 12, “the dominoes start falling.”

“Whether it’s much of a possibility (that A&M, Texas and other Big 12 schools would go to the Pac-10 or SEC), I don’t know,” Stallings said. “I’m not going to venture out on that until I know what all the options are.”

As for the future of Baylor, which seemed in doubt Thursday when Colorado accepted the Pac-10’s invitation to join, the official said the Bears could still end up in the Pac-10.

It all depends on A&M, the official said.

“If A&M doesn’t go, Baylor’s got a window to go,” the official said. “(Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech) — none of them have anything against Baylor. We’re not opposed to Baylor, and we’ve said positive things about them.”

But, the official continued, “The schools on the West Coast just don’t see the benefit of Baylor. The Pac-10 is talking more about Kansas and Utah because they bring different (television) markets. Baylor’s been lobbying everybody around Texas. They need to be lobbying California.”

Meanwhile, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds issued this statement earlier this afternoon:

“Our goals and hopes all along have been to keep the Big 12 Conference intact. The league has been great for its members. We also have been honorable, up front and forthright with regard to our work and responsiveness to all the possible and now definitive changes to conference landscapes. We are entrusted with the esponsibility of administering our university athletics programs. That requires careful examination of any and all options. It is both premature and inappropriate to speculate on what our UT System Regents will discuss at next Tuesday’s meeting. But, as the dynamics of the Big 12 continue to change around us, we will utilize additional time to continue our work and evaluate our options.”

UPanIN
06-11-2010, 04:25 PM
One team dismantles the Big 12 (Nebraska) just as one team dismantled the the SWC (Arkansas).

That's just sad.

Those that run the show have left the barn door opened and everyone is scrambling now.

A&M thinking of going to the SEC Conference or the PAC-10

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State may join the Pac-10 Conference.

They ALL will follow the money and the insiders will get theirs.

:mad: :mad:

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
If anyone has ever lived in Austin, much less gone to UT (and I've done both), you realize it's NOT a Southern, Old Confederacy, mint julep-sipping-on-the-veranda kind of town. It is culturally more attuned to the West. And, yeah, Austinites and many UT alums tend to be (said with a condescending Limbaugh sneer here) "lib'ruls," especially compared to their counterparts in Aggieland.

There is no doubt TAMU is a perfect cultural fit with the SEC. Go for it, Ags. No one will miss you. You'll have to revise some lyrics in some songs and also drop some traditions, but I FULLY UNDERSTAND why y'all want to go to Dixieland.

ok so know we add cultural fit to the list with academic standards......I guess I am lost cause i figured all this was about making money from football........so lets look good play the same medicore teams from the big xii south and add the arizona schools and every once in a while play stanford, cal washington state and a usc team that is going to be struggle for a while( the loss of those scholarships will take a toll). When you have a chance to join possibly the strongest football and athletic conference in the country. Texas has a chance to move and make a strong conference even stronger at the same time becoming stonger...Alabama, Florida, LSU and the horns thats a lot of national titles. Now all the Texas schools are thinking of moving to a conference that were told has all these tv's and media pull yet the PAC 10 belly aches every year that they get no respect.

Idk what's going to happen and only time will tell if the moves were good for football..........remember we are Texans and Football is King. They also say that in all the southern states...not in California. oh yeah have they started removing those confederate war hero statues in Austin....those west coast fans will love them..........and let us not fool ourselves....those fans from Cali will see us as a bunch of bumbkins no matter.

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
If this is true, now they are apparently the Pac-15. And one wonders how long they may leave the door open to A&M if they want to stop flirting with the SEC. (The article says 72 hours but that doesn't mean the door is closed completely.)

My assumption is that the Pac-10 will go after Utah if the Aggies fail to meet the Pac-10's timetable. The article says it leaves the door open for Baylor, but I don't buy it because I think their quick offer to Colorado was done because they don't *want* Baylor. Plus, Baylor doesn't bring any additional TV markets.

ziggy29
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, Austin and Boulder are good cultural fits with the west coast; they are to their surrounding regions as is Berkeley to theirs. The other new additions to the conference if it becomes the Pac-16? Not so much.

But in reality, I think west coast fans will associate Texas with the "red state ignorant redneck" label, exposing their own ignorance of Austin culture in the process.

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, Austin and Boulder are good cultural fits with the west coast. The other new additions to the conference if it becomes the Pac-16? Not so much.

But in reality, I think west coast fans will associate Texas with the "red state ignorant redneck" label, exposing their own ignorance of Austin culture in the process.

I was thinking the samething....Lubbock, Norman and Stillwater(Waco or College Station).

fans from those towns and of those teams will feel right at home in pullman

DDBooger
06-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I was thinking the samething....Lubbock, Norman and Stillwater(Waco or College Station).

fans from those towns and of those teams will feel right at home in pullman I'll be in Stillwater this Fall. My home will be 3 blocks from Eskimo Joes :cool: lol

Pullman is in the middle of nowhere. Took a trip there to decide if I wanted to move.

griff
06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
One thing I have yet to hear about this. Has the SEC made an offer to the Aggies?

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I'll be in Stillwater this Fall. My home will be 3 blocks from Eskimo Joes :cool: lol

passing through on my way to omaha next week.

my son and I were planning on visiting as many big xii campuses on our way up to the series....norman, stillwater and lawerence. lincoln on a off day of series and manhattan on the way back.

maybe i ought to check out bookstores and get items with the universities logo and the big xii on them. Could be collectors items huh?

NastySlot
06-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by griff
One thing I have yet to hear about this. Has the SEC made an offer to the Aggies?

I was thinking the same thing...but my son told me that on other sites they have mentioned that the SEC would like to have Texas and A&M and if Texas goes to the PAC 10 than maybe OU and A&M to the SEC.

What a mess.

DDBooger
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
passing through on my way to omaha next week.

my son and I were planning on visiting as many big xii campuses on our way up to the series....norman, stillwater and lawerence. lincoln on a off day of series and manhattan on the way back.

maybe i ought to check out bookstores and get items with the universities logo and the big xii on them. Could be collectors items huh? Absolutely, jump on it. Good idea. Big 12 won't be as storied as the SWC, but it's still a discontinued item.

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing...but my son told me that on other sites they have mentioned that the SEC would like to have Texas and A&M and if Texas goes to the PAC 10 than maybe OU and A&M to the SEC.

What a mess.

OU has already said they r going where Texas goes

Z-RO
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Just passing the news along

DDBooger
06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
Just passing the news along If this truly is a battle of egos, I don't see A&M forcing UT's hand to join the SEC or even possibly keeping the Big 12 alive. Especially since A&M would likely bolt if invited by SEC, who really wants UT and OU. What a mess.

ziggy29
06-13-2010, 06:54 PM
If this truly is a battle of egos, I don't see A&M forcing UT's hand to join the SEC or even possibly keeping the Big 12 alive. Especially since A&M would likely bolt if invited by SEC, who really wants UT and OU. What a mess.
Agreed. I don't see how any of this is really good for the fan, though that stopped mattering a long time ago -- starting when the Supreme Court struck down the NCAA's claim to have the rights to control TV contracts and revenue. From then on, the money grab became blatant and old traditions and geographical common sense stopped mattering.

Now I feel like an old codger waxing poetic about the good old days, and I'm only 44...

Aesculus gilmus
06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Agreed. I don't see how any of this is really good for the fan, though that stopped mattering a long time ago -- starting when the Supreme Court struck down the NCAA's claim to have the rights to control TV contracts and revenue. From then on, the money grab became blatant and old traditions and geographical common sense stopped mattering.

Now I feel like an old codger waxing poetic about the good old days, and I'm only 44...

I love it. A&M is an Old South campus, with all the baggage, both good and bad, that comes with such a distinction. It is in the conference it should have been in all along. UT is where the West begins.

Now I'll have a reason to watch the SEC, though (which is already televised to this part of Texas from the CBS affiliate in Shreveport), and that's to watch the mighty Aggies dominate week after week in Dixie. Should be fun. :D

Seriously, I do wish the Ags well. They're going to need a lot of luck, at least in football. I remember when Arkansas left the SWC and went into gridiron obscurity.

What's puzzling is the commitment the A&M board of regents just made to maintain their high academic standards if they go to the SEC. So I guess that will make them the "Rice" of that conference, if they stick with that policy.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I love it. A&M is an Old South campus, with all the baggage, both good and bad, that comes with such a distinction. It is in the conference it should have been in all along. UT is where the West begins.

Now I'll have a reason to watch the SEC, though (which is already televised to this part of Texas from the CBS affiliate in Shreveport), and that's to watch the mighty Aggies dominate week after week in Dixie. Should be fun. :D

Seriously, I do wish the Ags well. They're going to need a lot of luck, at least in football. I remember when Arkansas left the SWC and went into gridiron obscurity.

What's puzzling is the commitment the A&M board of regents just made to maintain their high academic standards if they go to the SEC. So I guess that will make them the "Rice" of that conference, if they stick with that policy.

a&m is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else but a texas university....and it doesn't really maintain that strong an old south mentality(until recently frats weren't that big on campus as they are in southern states) but a strong texan culture at the same time displaying strong patriotic feelings and loyality toward the america. fact is it s probably the most texan university in the state. I think a&m fits the sec because like most universities in the sec a&m is a land grant (i know also a sea and space) grant university.

I really think the move to sec or pac10....would be a hard move for the aggies. Football has been at rock bottom for a while.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
a&m is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else but a texas university....and it doesn't really maintain that strong an old south mentality(until recently frats weren't that big on campus as they are in southern states) but a strong texan culture at the same time displaying strong patriotic feelings and loyality toward the america. fact is it s probably the most texan university in the state. I think a&m fits the sec because like most universities in the sec a&m is a land grant (i know also a sea and space) grant university.

I really think the move to sec or pac10....would be a hard move for the aggies. Football has been at rock bottom for a while.

i thought vandy was the rice of the sec.....and again still waiting for someone to list tier 1 schools.

Aesculus gilmus
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Aggies are, first and foremost, Aggies. It's almost a cult, not that there's anything wrong with that. I've got kinfolks that are Aggies. It is a WAY MORE MAJOR part of their identity than UT is to mine.

I think the saying is that those on the outside looking into Aggieland can't understand it and those on the inside looking out can't explain it.

What I meant about the Rice comparison is that obviously a lot of A&M opponents' players in the SEC are going to make the (low) grade to be able to play whereas A&M, if it really keeps the same standards for athletes it has now, may lose out on some prospects.

NastySlot
06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Aggies are, first and foremost, Aggies. It's almost a cult, not that there's anything wrong with that. I've got kinfolks that are Aggies. It is a WAY MORE MAJOR part of their identity than UT is to mine.

I think the saying is that those on the outside looking into Aggieland can't understand it and those on the inside looking out can't explain it.

What I meant about the Rice comparison is that obviously a lot of A&M opponents' players in the SEC are going to make the (low) grade to be able to play whereas A&M, if it really keeps the same standards for athletes it has now, may lose out on some prospects.

i hear ya. I think there is also a saying once an aggie always an aggies...hence the association of former students.....not a&m or aggie exes foundation.

UPanIN
06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
ATM should go to the SEC and become the only Texas connection in the SEC. Of course they will not win much but they have not won much in the BIG 12 either. They go to the PAC10 and everyone forgets them.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM

That I don't know, but what Texas really looks at is the American Association of Universities (AAU), the top 63 Research & Development schools in the nation. All BigTent schools are there; 7 of 10 Pac10 schools are. BigXII had 6, but lost 2 with CU and Nebraska leaving. SEC has two; if they get A&M that's three.

Here's my opinion on the education line, and hear it out all the way, b/c if there's only one line read is comes off too cocky (and I'll admit that, esp if taken out context!).

If Yale became a football powerhouse, would it leave the Ivy League? The answer is NO WAY; they value the academic prestige too much, and it attracts the students they want/hope to have.

NOW, in no way am I trying to say that Texas is on par academically with Yale, or Harvard or Princeton or Brown for that matter (okay, maybe Brown haha j/k). But, from the moment I started attending, it was also known that one of Texas' goals is to be the premier academic institution of the south/southwest, and sooner or later, on par with schools like the Ivy Leagues and Stanfords, but still maintaining a top tier athletic program. The SEC will not provide this; it will not come close. Vanderbilt is a great school, but that is the shining star. The Pac10, however, has Stanford, it has UCLA, it has Berkeley; schools that are top tier academically, who make a lot of money for the schools in the R&D fields, and still compete athletically in a myriad of sports (those 3 aren't necessarily football schools, but they provide the right image academically for Texas to associate with and still play big boy programs in football like ASU and USC).

By moving into the Pac conference, what little money Texas may lose in athletic revenue ($2-3 million compared to SEC), they gain significantly in academic reputation and marketing on the West Coast, which will hopefully lead to a better presence in the R&D field, which will increase the R&D expenditures way more than the $2-3MM they'll lose in the football program. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

big daddy russ
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM

South Carolina, Florida, both Alabama schools, and Vandy have reasonable academic standards. All require at least a 2.75 GPA in order to transfer (same as Baylor) and Vandy doesn't list a transfer GPA because it (like Rice, Emory, Harvard, Stanford, Tufts, etc.) is almost impossible to transfer into unless you're transferring from another elite school.

Far superior to anything in the Big XII, at least as far as prestige. And don't forget, the Big XII still boasts K-State, Kansas, Okie State, Texas Tech, and (until last week), Nebraska. Those (especially the Kansas schools, Nebraska, and Okie State) are the equivalent of the Mississippi schools, Tennessee, Kentucky, and LSU.

snake_attack
06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
It is goin to be hard for the aggie sports such as softball, volleyball, basketball, and etc. to travel to the universities in the Pac10. Having a game in Oregon and Washington then having to come back to school the next day. I think it would be too hard on the players and too costly on the travel.

Aesculus gilmus
06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
IF the Pac 16 were to come off, and that now looks questionable, there would have been VERY FEW trips to the West Coast for the eight East Division schools. The farthest they would have had to go in their division would've been to Arizona.

Now with the Small 10 about to be revitalized, there will be more trips to Ames, Iowa, than ever before.

All this process has done is highlight how little unity there was in the now-defunct Big 12 (the name is, I mean, because it no longer fits). The schools involved in it have just created more bad blood (or the fan bases, I should say) and it is now also a more boring conference than ever.

ziggy29
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
IF the Pac 16 were to come off, and that now looks questionable, there would have been VERY FEW trips to the West Coast for the eight East Division schools. The farthest they would have had to go in their division would've been to Arizona.

Right -- strictly from a football perspective it's mostly a non-issue. But this would be a nightmare for other sports such as basketball and baseball. Especially since they often have to travel mid-week, whereas football can leave on a Friday afternoon and return home Saturday night or Sunday.

NastySlot
06-14-2010, 05:42 PM
looks liking saving this conference is like staying married for the sake of the kids.

I still Texas should go independent like Notre Dame....then the horns can get their own network, not share bowl money..play 7-9 home games.