PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park to name new coach this week

TexasHSFootball
06-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Iowa Park to name new head coach this week
http://bit.ly/cmQ9E4

wildstangs
06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Wow - that will be a great hire for IP. Guess that screwy WF feeder system really does annoy coaches.

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 11:39 AM
That and I think Wichita Falls was starting to win some recruiting battles as well...Ponder will win at IP though he's a good coach.

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
That and I think Wichita Falls was starting to win some recruiting battles as well...Ponder will win at IP though he's a good coach.

There's some truth to your first comment, but the real point is that it's a flawed system.

The coaches there basically have to start recruting kids in 7th grade. It's very difficult to instill any discipline because the kids threaten to go to a different school.

This is a very good catch for IP!

Ernest T Bass
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Open enrollment sucks!

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
That is a great hire.

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, this is a very good hire.

I actually heard a couple of years back that if the IP job ever opened, Ponder would be interested. At the time, I thought it was crazy to think, but as everyone has said, WFISD has some real issues with this choice thing. They also have some other legitimate issues that make schools like IP, and others that control the entire system, much more attractive.

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
It's a horrible system without a doubt. IF WFISD ever got rid of it though you'd see the rise of Hirschi

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Maybe so.

This will probably never happen, but what WF needs to do is go to one HS. It would help them with regards to athletics, but more importantly, it would help them financially. They are having real budget issues and it just really doesn't make sense to keep 2 4A and 1 3A HS open in the city. The ONLY reason it won't happen is because of nostalgia.

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Might not be a bad idea to have one 5A school in Wichita Falls, there's been rumors of Hirschi closing for sometime...I think it might benefit Wichita Falls to just be a one school town...

You are correct though the town is very divided between Rider and Old High....it'd be real tough to ever merge them.

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
VERY divided. However, I just don't know how long they can continue financially. In fact, I heard they were having financial issues with keeping the 3 HS's open even before the country started to experience the current financial downturn. I just don't see how they can keep from it.

TexasHSFootball
06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
The open enrollment is what has doomed both Rider and Old High. The hatred between the two seems to have been carbon copied on to Friday Night Lights. If they were to merge all three schools, egos would all have to be cast aside and I don't see that happening for another 50-60 years.

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I get WHY open enrollment was first done and I guess intentions were good but it could have been done different....The attendance lines could have been draw in a way for more equal racial distribution of the schools to where this insane recruiting would never have had to happen...open enrollment was just a lazy way out of having to do a little extra work to draw the lines...

BTW I am loving all this Wichita Falls talk since I'll be up there Sat.

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Let's stop talking about WF! Let's talk about IP! :)

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
It'll take Ponder a year or two but he'll have them going....not a ton of talent in IP but he can make them a consistent playoff team

Ernest T Bass
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I get WHY open enrollment was first done and I guess intentions were good but it could have been done different....The attendance lines could have been draw in a way for more equal racial distribution of the schools to where this insane recruiting would never have had to happen...open enrollment was just a lazy way out of having to do a little extra work to draw the lines...

BTW I am loving all this Wichita Falls talk since I'll be up there Sat.

Open enrollment sucks!

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
It'll take Ponder a year or two but he'll have them going....not a ton of talent in IP but he can make them a consistent playoff team

I don't know what the cupboard looks like, but I do know he's got one the best athletes in the area with the Clubb kid.