PDA

View Full Version : My 3a athletic vision

XMan
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Ok, ive got my thoughts straight and put together a 3a athletic vision. This vision would have 15 coaches for male athletics. The hd fb coach, his top assist, the head bsb and head bsk coach would only coach one sport. There would be 1 coach that coaches X country in fall, and tennis in spring. There would also be an AD who is not a coach. This would be an admin. position in charge of boys and girls athletics in jr hi and high school. They would be in charge of hiring/firing head coaches of each sport as well as the other AD administrative duties. Football would get 12 coaches. There would be a head coach (would coordinate either off or def), a coordinator for whichever the hd coach doesnt coordinate, 2 off. assists, and 2 def assists. (3 of these assist would also coach track, and 1 would coach golf). These 6 varsity football coaches would be hired and fired on their football knowledge/performance. In addition, there would be 3 JV, and 3 Fresh fb coaches. These 6 would also coach either bsb or bsk and would be hired in a cooperative agreement between the head coaches of those sports. (fb/bsb or fb/bsk) The bsb and bsk head coaches would be evaluated on the performance of their teams. Here is how it would be run:
Football season:
All those that play football would go with all 12 fb coaches during athletics period. They would be assigned the weight room all days of the week after school. They would totally concentrate on football.
Non football basketballers would go with hd bsk coach and work on basketball skills. They would have the weight room on mon/Wed. during the period. When bsk begins in oct., 2 of the bsk assistants would go w/bsk during period and only go to football on their game days.
Non football baseballers would go with hd bsb coach and work baseball skills. They would get the weight room on Tues/Thurs. during period.
This is going to sound hypocritical but those that play ONLY individual sports would not be in athletic period. Those sports do not have an offseason according to UIL and may be practiced year round after school. During FB season, the Xcountry/tennis folks would be able to practice after school whenever coach advises.
Ok, football ends (in Dec hopefully)
FB only kids would go with 6 varsity football coaches and do offseason work. They would get the weight room M/W/F. Those that run track can begin workouts after school w/3 track coaches.
FB kids that play hoops would head to hoops during athletic period. They would get chance to lift after hoops practice. FB kids that play bsb would go to baseball with head bsb coach and 3 assistants during ath. period. They would still have weight room Tues/Thurs. When bsb begins in late Jan. baseballers would begin practice during period. They would lift after practice twice a week.
When hoops ends, bsk only kids would go to bsk offseason and have weight room tues/thurs. Hoops kids who play baseball would join the baseball team. Hoops kids who play fb would join the fb offseason group.
If baseball ends before school gets out, baseballers who play football would go to fb offseason for the remainder of the year.
Some key points:
1. Try to get all kids to play fb. FB is a #s game. Just about any able body can help with something.
2. Coaches be supportive of all sports, not just the one(s) they coach.
3. No coach can suggest a kid quits a sport to concentrate on the one that they coach.

I know this will be very confusing formatted this way but if you can figure it out, let me know what you think, positives or negatives.

Pmoney
06-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Here is my 3a athletic vision...Lacrosse being implemented into 3a schools...really all schools in west and east Texas

maestro
06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Some key points:
1. Try to get all kids to play fb. FB is a #s game. Just about any able body can help with something.
2. Coaches be supportive of all sports, not just the one(s) they coach.
3. No coach can suggest a kid quits a sport to concentrate on the one that they coach.

you forget that tennis is year round now.

swimming?? soccer???

and.....IMO....today's " 20 something " coach.....does not want to even be in the classroom. Not enough pe/health/special ed. to go around.

If you have a quality " teacher/coach " at your school, thank them daily.

XMan
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
3a tennis has ALWAYS BEEN year round. Tennis is considered an individual sport and does not have the time restraints that team sports do. TEAM TENNIS, which some school participate in is NOT a UIL event. I have said that tennis can start workouts after school the first day of school in the fall. The tennis/xcountry coach would be in charge of this. Xcountry at most schools is before school in the AM when cooler and tennis can practice after school. The tennis/xcountry coach has NO OTHER COACHING DUTIES and thus would be able to cover both. Dont know of hardly any swimming teams at 3a and soccer is very limited though its fixing to explode. Quit trying to deflecting the issues and hijacking.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Simple enough, but do you truly believe all 3A schools can afford 15 full time male coaches?

XMan
06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I would bet that most 3a schools already have more than this. Plus, the school is not paying any more is stipends. Some of the coaches are only getting 1 stipend and none are getting 3 stipends. Ask around and see all the stipends that are currently being thrown around. You would be amazed at what coaches are getting stipends for. Besides, the coaches all would be teaching classes except for maybe the head football coach. Its not like these guys would be doing nothing all day. So many people think that coaches make a full salary by just coaching. 80% or so of their pay comes from their teaching duties and the rest comes from stipends they are paid per sport.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by XMan
I would bet that most 3a schools already have more than this. Plus, the school is not paying any more is stipends. Some of the coaches are only getting 1 stipend and none are getting 3 stipends. Ask around and see all the stipends that are currently being thrown around. You would be amazed at what coaches are getting stipends for. Besides, the coaches all would be teaching classes except for maybe the head football coach. Its not like these guys would be doing nothing all day. So many people think that coaches make a full salary by just coaching. 80% or so of their pay comes from their teaching duties and the rest comes from stipends they are paid per sport.

Most still isn't all. When I was in school there were 10 dedicated boys coaches, and 2 others that split time betweens girls and boys athletics. I just think implementing to some of the school districts that arent as well off would hurt an already fledgling budget. Just my opinion.

And, then are you willing to sacrifice education for athletics? There are some great coaches out there that truly enjoy teaching and do a great job - I can think of a few just from my experience. But there are also more than a few that only want to coach, and their teaching style is 'independent reading, worksheet, study guide, test'; and that's no way to truly teach a child. By implementing so many coaches, and then making most, if not all, teach class, you are going to have to put some in core curriculum, forcing out teachers who are there to actually teach, not to just take on a role so they can coach.

XMan
06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I would think that it would be up to each individual district to hire people that have a clue. If they cant teach, dont hire them as a coach. Athletics is secondary to academics, bottom line. Does anyone have any comment on why the athletic period could not work as I described?

LE Dad
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM
So you want to mandate changing a program that has produced:
1 baseball SC
1baseball state finalist
1 softball state finalist
1girls basketball SC
2 girls basketball finalist
2 girls track SC
1 girls track runnerup
1 boys track runnerup
2 football SC and one semi finalist

That is on top of countless regional awards in every sport the past 11 years. Thats right all in 11 years.

No thank you, LE has a great program. If your school does not then work to change it but do not mandate to ours it is just fine.

:D

LE Dad
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I would bet that most 3a schools already have more than this. Plus, the school is not paying any more is stipends. Some of the coaches are only getting 1 stipend and none are getting 3 stipends. Ask around and see all the stipends that are currently being thrown around. You would be amazed at what coaches are getting stipends for. Besides, the coaches all would be teaching classes except for maybe the head football coach. Its not like these guys would be doing nothing all day. So many people think that coaches make a full salary by just coaching. 80% or so of their pay comes from their teaching duties and the rest comes from stipends they are paid per sport. LE has probably 9-12 coaches devoted to female athletics and 15+ devoted to male. There are alot that assist in more than 1 sport and our AD is usually at every event. This works best because as coaches leave there is already someone trained in the way the system works.

LE Dad
06-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Here is my 3a athletic vision...Lacrosse being implemented into 3a schools...really all schools in west and east Texas :clap: :clap: Lacrosse is awesome to watch. I wish it were available here at HS level, but then again it would only increase this debate.:thinking: :D

ccmom
06-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Quit trying to deflecting the issues and hijacking.

In other words...if you don't fully and completely agree with XMan, don't post on this thread? :confused:

Pmoney
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
:clap: :clap: Lacrosse is awesome to watch. I wish it were available here at HS level, but then again it would only increase this debate.:thinking: :D
yeah I think at some point it will be in most HS. It will just take some time to grow out of the big city areas..Dallas, Austin, and Houston are hot spots for lacrosse, which I might add one of the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and the #1 in Texas...I just wish it was would get to West Texas and into the smaller schools. I have played on the University of North Texas Lax team and currently play on the Texas Tech team and I am the only one from a school in West Texas and below the 4a level

Ernest T Bass
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
This guy is nuts! 5a schools dont have the budget for this idea, much less 3a.
The only way it could even remotely be done is with teachers volunteering to coach, or teachers who are not necessarily qualified to coach taking the less important spots for a minimal stipend(which is what a lot of 5a schools do).

Additup
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
This guy is nuts! 5a schools dont have the budget for this idea, much less 3a.
The only way it could even remotely be done is with teachers volunteering to coach, or teachers who are not necessarily qualified to coach taking the less important spots for a minimal stipend(which is what a lot of 5a schools do).
Straight AD's in a one school town get expensive...even at 4A or 5A school. Not saying it can't be done, but you better be able to pony up some serious $. Most schools ain't gonna create another admin position when they already got somebody doing it.

Looking4number8
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
In other words...if you don't fully and completely agree with XMan, don't post on this thread? :confused:

About time you showed back up from your vacation. Maybe you should have taken xman to tennesse with you. You two would have had wonderful conversations on that road trip!

ccmom
06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
About time you showed back up from your vacation. Maybe you should have taken xman to tennesse with you. You two would have had wonderful conversations on that road trip!

I have a sneaking suspicion he wouldn't be too fond of me....just a hunch....;)

Matthew328
06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Lots of ideas look great on paper but when it comes to dollars and sense it doesnt always add up

garciap77
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

:eek:

Black Swarm
06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Is all this ranting because someones kid
is'nt being treated the way they want?

bigwood33
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
One sport kid and his sport of choice isn't getting treated like football. Just in case he hasn't noticed, this is Texas and football is king.

4A and 5A have a lot of 1 sport kids...maybe he should consider it.

Looking4number8
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
One sport kid and his sport of choice isn't getting treated like football. Just in case he hasn't noticed, this is Texas and football is king.

4A and 5A have a lot of 1 sport kids...maybe he should consider it.

Agreed. I had a daughter so needless to say she did not play football (although she cheered for football) She played softball and we never expected the same treatment as football. Football in Brownwood draws 5000 fans, Softball draws 50. Hmmm, which one deserves the most money spent on it.... the one that brings in the most money! FOOTBALL

maestro
06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Simple enough, but do you truly believe all 3A schools can afford 15 full time male coaches?

11 TOTAL male coaches hired in district. 7-12.

it may come down to coaches coaching 3 sports year round. many in our district have gone to that. overwise, budgets will not allow hiring more coaches. i would also like to see our district , when possible, fill openings with coaches. but it ain't happening.

my thoughts are instead of reinventing the wheel, go copy a success story.

there are schools out there that win in all major boy's sports and have a core of guys that play whatever sport is in season.

liberty hill, cuero, sweeny, i'll throw in yoakum , edna, needville.