PDA

View Full Version : America - The story of us.

Farmersfan
06-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I may be already behind the curve on this subject but I recently downloaded the America - The story of us series. I have only watched the first 2 episodes but I already would recommend it to everyone. Anybody else watching this?

Phil C
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I have seen all the episodes and they are excellent. Enjoy.

DDBooger
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I may be already behind the curve on this subject but I recently downloaded the America - The story of us series. I have only watched the first 2 episodes but I already would recommend it to everyone. Anybody else watching this? where did you download them at?

Diocletian
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I have DVR'd every episode so far.

Great series... prob the 2nd best.... right behind Ancient Aliens.

History channel is booming right now..

Any one watch Pawn Stars???

DDBooger
06-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian

Any one watch Pawn Stars??? Those guys are jerks, but I bet they deal with lots of colorful characters.

Kind of miss Mail Call. R. Lee Ermey is hilarious.

Farmersfan
06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I have DVR'd every episode so far.

Great series... prob the 2nd best.... right behind Ancient Aliens.

History channel is booming right now..

Any one watch Pawn Stars???

I felt that Ancient Aliens was a very good show. Kind of makes a person stop and think doesn't it? Not trying to start a big discussion about religion but what do you guys think a discovery of alien life would do to organized religion on this planet? If God created Heaven and Earth and made MAN in his image according to the Bible then who created the Klingons?????

MUSTANG69
06-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Any one watch Pawn Stars??? [/B]

I watch Pawn Stars all the time. One can learn a lot of historical trivia from that show.

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I felt that Ancient Aliens was a very good show. Kind of makes a person stop and think doesn't it? Not trying to start a big discussion about religion but what do you guys think a discovery of alien life would do to organized religion on this planet? If God created Heaven and Earth and made MAN in his image according to the Bible then who created the Klingons?????

Easy. If Klingons are man-like, no problem. If not, then they are not the image of God. If that is confusing, I have several other ideas that are even worse!:D

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I watch Pawn Stars all the time. One can learn a lot of historical trivia from that show.

Yeah, they are jerks, but entertaining. I like when they start giving historical background on some item and we know they have no idea what they are talking about. The internet sure can make some folks appear more educated!.

I still like the show. My favorite is American Pickers, though. Now they aren't jerks, and actually get into squables on camera. And they at least give the appearance of being honest.

Pawn Stars are just low class thieves. People who would sell something to them knowing it is worth 2-3 times what they are offered are either desperate or plain dumb. Chumley needs to be sterilized to ensure he does not enter the gene pool!!!

MUSTANG69
06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Yeah, they are jerks, but entertaining. I like when they start giving historical background on some item and we know they have no idea what they are talking about. The internet sure can make some folks appear more educated!.

I still like the show. My favorite is American Pickers, though. Now they aren't jerks, and actually get into squables on camera. And they at least give the appearance of being honest.

Pawn Stars are just low class thieves. People who would sell something to them knowing it is worth 2-3 times what they are offered are either desperate or plain dumb. Chumley needs to be sterilized to ensure he does not enter the gene pool!!!

The American Pickers strike me as being dishonest. It seems to me they are going around the country trying to taker advantage of old people who don't know the value of their junk.

People who go to pawn shops are aware that they are not going to get a good value for their goods.

It is funny how people have different opinions about these reality show people.

Emerson1
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Have you ever watched a single episode?

Many times the main guy explains that he can't buy it for what an expert values it at because he has to resell it. Both parties usually end up making the same amount of profit anyways.

The guy has been in business for 25 years, I'm sure he has some legit knowledge on most of the items coming through. And when he doesn't an expert always comes in.

Originally posted by MUSTANG69
The American Pickers strike me as being dishonest. It seems to me they are going around the country trying to taker advantage of old people who don't know the value of their junk.
I watched this yesterday for the first time. The price difference was a lot bigger then what the Pawn Stars usually buy for. American Pickers were getting stuff for 1/5 of the value while PS is usually half or 2/3.

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Have you ever watched a single episode?

Many times the main guy explains that he can't buy it for what an expert values it at because he has to resell it. Both parties usually end up making the same amount of profit anyways.

The guy has been in business for 25 years, I'm sure he has some legit knowledge on most of the items coming through. And when he doesn't an expert always comes in.

I watched this yesterday for the first time. The price difference was a lot bigger then what the Pawn Stars usually buy for. American Pickers were getting stuff for 1/5 of the value while PS is usually half or 2/3.

The times that someone receives 2/3's of retail on Pawn Stars must be when I don't watch because I've never seen something bought for over half it's value. Yes, they have some knowledge, but when something like an 8 escudo gold coin is brought in and he spends so much time describing what they are but can't decide if it is a fake indicates to me his knowledge is shallow at best.

On American Pickers I've even seen times when a seller names a price and the buyers tell him it is worth more. there is no attempt to cheat, the real value is often not known.

Most items on pawn Stars have a known value, but that is not usually so on American Pickers. American Pickers buy things for which no immediate market exists.

Farmersfan
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I think you guys are forgetting the true nature of the business. They are not actually buying those items. They are loaning against the value of those items. A Pawn shop must hold the items for the seller for a set amount of time before they can actually try to recoop their money (or make a profit). If the original seller returns for the item they can buy back the same item for a small interest payment. Or am I the one that is missing something?

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I think you guys are forgetting the true nature of the business. They are not actually buying those items. They are loaning against the value of those items. A Pawn shop must hold the items for the seller for a set amount of time before they can actually try to recoop their money (or make a profit). If the original seller returns for the item they can buy back the same item for a small interest payment. Or am I the one that is missing something?

I think you are not watching the program. I can count on one hand the number of people who come in to pawn something on this show. It may well be that they primarily film those who want to sell, but it is rare that they show someone pawning an item.

Emerson1
06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
They can either pawn it or sell it.

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They can either pawn it or sell it.

And the vast majority say sell it, at least on the show. I have no idea what the percentages are in real life. I suspect many do pawn rather than sell.

If I had something of value to sell, I think I would want to get a better price than the pawn shop would offer. As I said in a previous post, it seems they must be desperate for the quick cash.

Again, I enjoy the show. All of them are genuine characters.

Farmersfan
06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
And the vast majority say sell it, at least on the show. I have no idea what the percentages are in real life. I suspect many do pawn rather than sell.

If I had something of value to sell, I think I would want to get a better price than the pawn shop would offer. As I said in a previous post, it seems they must be desperate for the quick cash.

Again, I enjoy the show. All of them are genuine characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnbroker

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM

How are they thieves? They tell the seller hey I cannot buy it for market value or I cant make a profit. The seller knows they are underselling it..but they are also getting a guarantee sale and not taking a chance thru an auction or other route that it will not be sold. Plus they dont have to pay any fees or time. Most of those going into a pawn shop to SALE do so because they need instant money or they want to get rid of it right then and not deal with alot of paperwork.

ronwx5x
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
How are they thieves? They tell the seller hey I cannot buy it for market value or I cant make a profit. The seller knows they are underselling it..but they are also getting a guarantee sale and not taking a chance thru an auction or other route that it will not be sold. Plus they dont have to pay any fees or time. Most of those going into a pawn shop to SALE do so because they need instant money or they want to get rid of it right then and not deal with alot of paperwork.

If they were actual thieves, I assume they would go to prison. It was an analogy and not a fact. A better choice of words would have been to describe them as taking advantage of a situation. If someone knowingly sells something at 1/2 it's actual value, that's their own problem.

How's that for backing up? Uh oh, I think I need new heels on my shoes. :p

I still think of a pawn shop as on the seedy fringes, but that's JMHO. If I ever needed one, I'm sure my opinion would change.

Diocletian
06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
The only thing wrong with Pawn Stars is how blatant they let it be known that some of the setup is highly scripted.

It is a very entertaining program. In no way are any of the deals they make rip offs or even close to cheating someone.

Remember something is only worth what a person will sell it for....and sometimes people have different opinions so Joe Blow jar of peanuts is worth $20 and Susie Rich jar of peanuts is worth $2000.

In Vegas I am positive most of the pawners and sellers are junkie types that just need some quick cash for gambling or drugs....it would be impossible to find a legitimate transaction... unless someone traveled all the way there just to their item appraised...like the guy with the sunken melted coins did.... he obviously just wanted to show the world he was selling those..he knew the Pawn Guy wasn't going to buy them.

SintonFan
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I may be already behind the curve on this subject but I recently downloaded the America - The story of us series. I have only watched the first 2 episodes but I already would recommend it to everyone. Anybody else watching this?

I started watching America... last week. I love that series.

Pawn Stars and American Pickers, I watch both on Monday nights. Pretty entertaining.

All three shows are DVRed now.:cool: