PDA

View Full Version : Questions for 3a,2a,1a baseball parents (merged)

XMan
06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Parents of baseball players, I have a few questions I would like for you to answer just to see how things go around the state.

1. Does your son play school sports other than baseball? Which ones?

2. When football season ends, what does your son do during the athletic period?

3. When baseball season begins in late Jan., what does your son do during the athletic period.

4. Does your son go to other sport practices before baseball practice begins?

5. How many baseball coaches does your school have? How many played baseball at a level past high school?

6. Does your school provide an offseason in the fall for athletes that for whatever reason do not play football?

7. In your words, explain anything that the school district/athletic department has done to help your son become a better baseball player other than the normal practice/game time.

Thank you for your time and participation,
XMan,
Baseball advocate

DDBooger
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Parents of baseball players, I have a few questions I would like for you to answer just to see how things go around the state.

1. Does your son play school sports other than baseball? Which ones?

2. When football season ends, what does your son do during the athletic period?

3. When baseball season begins in late Jan., what does your son do during the athletic period.

4. Does your son go to other sport practices before baseball practice begins?

5. How many baseball coaches does your school have? How many played baseball at a level past high school?

6. Does your school provide an offseason in the fall for athletes that for whatever reason do not play football?

7. In your words, explain anything that the school district/athletic department has done to help your son become a better baseball player other than the normal practice/game time.

Thank you for your time and participation,
XMan,
Baseball advocate
you should create a survey
http://www.surveymonkey.com/

nette_mom
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
There are only 2 sports in Bellville, football and volleyball! If you want to get better at any other sport, you have to do it on your own! No other sport is allowed to even practice during the athletic period except for football and volleyball!

bigwood33
06-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Why, are you raising a future major leaguer?

88bobcats
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll go one step further.

I think all AAA, AA, and A schools should re-think their coach hiring practices 'cause there's not enough emphasis on UIL Academic Contests.

When I was in high school, I wanted to compete in UIL Academics and in baseball. I was a baseball letterman as a freshman and as a sophomore. However, my junior year, I was going to have to go to baseball practice before I could go to my academic practices. I had to quit baseball so I could get better at my UIL Academic event, where I had a greater chance of getting a scholarship.

My school did nothing to create an offseason for my UIL Academic event. I did not even have a class for it, and the school did not spend nearly as much on UIL Academics as it did on the baseball team.

I think all the schools are much too focused on sports and there's not enough emphasis on academic competitions!

XMan
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
There are only 2 sports in Bellville, football and volleyball! If you want to get better at any other sport, you have to do it on your own! No other sport is allowed to even practice during the athletic period except for football and volleyball!

This is a real shame, nette mom. It used to not be this way. Bellville, like Giddings was under a Permian Based system for too many years. Its a whole different topic but I could go on and on how Bellville's vball coach came in 30 years ago and killed all other girls sports other than tennis. Bellville was a girls basketball powerhouse but that was killed in an instant. I know in Bellville that girls can not be in athletics if they dont play volleyball. If they do play volleyball, they are told to play year round and not play anything else. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

88bobcats
06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
I'll go one step further.

I think all AAA, AA, and A schools should re-think their coach hiring practices 'cause there's not enough emphasis on UIL Academic Contests.

When I was in high school, I wanted to compete in UIL Academics and in baseball. I was a baseball letterman as a freshman and as a sophomore. However, my junior year, I was going to have to go to baseball practice before I could go to my academic practices. I had to quit baseball so I could get better at my UIL Academic event, where I had a greater chance of getting a scholarship.

My school did nothing to create an offseason for my UIL Academic event. I did not even have a class for it, and the school did not spend nearly as much on UIL Academics as it did on the baseball team.

I think all the schools are much too focused on sports and there's not enough emphasis on academic competitions!

Whoops! I forgot my signature.....

88bobcats
Academics Advocate

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:48 PM
New rule concerning athletic period: ONLY WHITE KIDS can be in athletics. If a kid is not entirely white, they can not be in the athletic period. Would this not be considered discrimination? I belive it would be. However, many schools say that only this sport or that sport may be in the athletic period. Seems real fishy to me. Call your school board members now!

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Dude....you're pretty much the only one showing this much aggression and hatred toward this subject. You need to talk to your AD/Supt/school board. :rolleyes:

XMan
06-06-2010, 10:17 PM
what if only hispanic kids could be in the athletic period and have their own offseason? All those that are not hispanic can still play a sport but cant practice in that sport or get better in it in any way unless it is outside of the school day. This would be discrimination right?

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
wow dude your done

LE Dad
06-06-2010, 10:19 PM
:doh:

Pmoney
06-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Give it up man...and I was here

TheDOCTORdre
06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Give it up man...and I was here
thats my line

cr180t
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Here is what we do

WE have a lot of participation between all sports
Lift weights / work on agility and quickness
Multi sports continue to lift weights during period/straight baseball start drills usually lift afterwards
Goes to strength and agility yes
4 coaches 1 played after high school/

Yes every one except track
Do not understand this one?

maestro
06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by nette_mom

and yet coach collier provided much excitement and success throughout the recent years.

Farmersfan
06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by XMan
New rule concerning athletic period: ONLY WHITE KIDS can be in athletics. If a kid is not entirely white, they can not be in the athletic period. Would this not be considered discrimination? I belive it would be. However, many schools say that only this sport or that sport may be in the athletic period. Seems real fishy to me. Call your school board members now!

So are you going to tell us the REAL story here????

Reds fan
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by nette_mom

This is the unfortunate truth at BHS. Bellville success in other sports such as softball and baseball just shows that some really good athletes have come thru there and were able to succeed despite the system. This year it finally caught up with BHS in softball especially, first time in school history to not make the playoffs.

Black Swarm
06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Its baseball.
:stirpot:

LE Dad
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
It sounds like this is a legit issue at a few schools. I don't think you will get any resolution by putting it on here, but if you can bring attention to the issue and find enough like minded people; then put it in front of the Supt and school board members I would think that they would act. Numbers are what matters, if you can get 25+ people together a SB member will listen. Sounds like it would be an uphill battle, but as passionate as some seem to be it may well be worth it.
I know our system works and I would hate to see it changed to anything else.

Blackcat1954
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Isn't Tennis a pretty sucessful program at Bellville if coach Susan Brewer is still there