PDA

View Full Version : Ole Sub- Region III

Old Cardinal
06-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I know that Jasper, because of their deep run in 4A is everyone's State Contender; however, Newton from the same district could well take home the State Championship in Div. II...... Other teams in sub-Division I that could upset anyone are Barber's Hill, Bellville, & Bridge City. Everyone knows that I have said that BH was over-rated for the last two years; however, this year is different, they are loaded with speed. Perry Carrington and Brian Cummings will be two of the fastest backs in the State! Northcutt, there ole pitcher, can also fling a football. They are the epitome of a magnet school, pulling players from the whole Baytown area into their preparatory program. They have the extreme wealth, as a School District, to hire winning-type Coaches as assistants that would be Head Coaches at poorer HS's. Irregardless, they are well Coached and loaded with talent and they are quite UNDERRATED this year!. They are capable of upsetting Jasper, on a given night. Bellville is also loaded, they could also take the Crown of Sub-Region III. Bellvillle should be able to give a lot of kids game experience in their district play that will help them perservere in the Post-season. Bridge City, has to have a group of Juniors to come around to be really Playoff- competitive. They have a most seasoned and skill group of Seniors as anyone, many who led then 2 rounds in the playoffs as Sophmores. If the Juniors don't come around, it could be a disappointing year,if they come around they could get tough by Playoff time........Division II, it's interesting-Newton had a tremendous JV last year and could easily prevail this year. On the other hand, Splendora, Possibly Barber's Hill(if bigger Cleveland gets third), Bellville(if bigger Navasota or Stafford were to place 3rd). Also, Manor or Elgin, placing third-Div I, will probably thrust LaGrange and Giddings back into the Div. II Playoffs, and that is two great programs! Who knows, maybe Cameron Yoe, Hillsboro, Gatesville, Liberty, Dibol, or Mexia may take home all the marbles this year.

Matthew328
07-01-2002, 03:47 PM
I think Region III is gonna be tough to call..especially in D-2...lots of evenly matched teams....D-1 Jasper is the favorite but anything can happen...and by the way Old Card I think this year Region III is much stronger than last year...LOL

BH_146
07-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Old Card, BH only pulls baseball players from Baytown. Sometimes a football player may transfer over but after a couple of weeks in our off seasn program, they end up leaving. And how many Baytownians will we get now that we are drug testing athletes?

Old Cardinal
07-02-2002, 04:36 PM
BH_146 Glad to hear they are drug testing! Wish all schools would do that. I had heard that they were still milking the Bay'Tn feeder Jr. Hi.'s for football players. They use to milk Baytown Sterling for every sport. I think that BH will be quite dominate this year: however, you might finally have some excellent District play competition. Hope you end up playing Div. II, you change the prespectives in Div. I if you play there. BH really does have a good overall program, I looked for them to win that Lone Star Cup thing. Best of luck, in most of your games anyway. No one believes us but BC & BH just might be slumbering beast that have not been stirred up yet!

BH_146
07-02-2002, 09:25 PM
Old Cardinal, for BH to be Div. II, Cleveland has to make the playoffs which I know you are aware. The coach at Cleveland has quite a task in turning the program around and he may be a year from doing that. I was impressed with his freshman team. And I know that there are more athletes at Cleveland than I saw last year. If he enticed more to come out, they could be tough by the time district begins. Speaking of our district, I think you are right about the competition. Yes, it is going to be a challenge to win at Splendora. But the game I am leary about is going to Coldspring. They always have speed and are a different team when playing at home. And then if Liberty and Tarkington improve on their performances from a year ago, it will be a most competitive district. By the way, if BC was located further north, I believe BC would be a top ten team.

Old Cardinal
07-02-2002, 10:49 PM
That's funny BH, With the talent level of BH, they would be called "ultra elite" up in the home of the Dallas Morning News. You and I both know Cleveland and Liberty have discipline problems. I watched Lincoln work Cleveland over at the first of last year, it was not a talent discrepency, it was a bunch of loose cannons on the field for Cleveland. Liberty too has talent, but they did not play as a team, like they were capable of last year. What's your take on HJ and HF this year....seems like one of them gave you guys a pretty good game last year?

rwhite
07-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Bellvilles freshmen beat Clevelands by a touchdown or two. Cleveland did have this one alth who was very good. He was the QB and i'd say around 6'2 220 with amazing speed. But like you said their team fell apart in the last 5 mins. with 2 or 3 players throwing their helments on the ground, breaking the facemasks and that casued them to leave to game alittle early.

BH_146
07-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Old Cardinal, both played us pretty close last year with H-F nearly pulling the upset. But both I feel have major problems to overcome. H-F will be competing with a new boss for the first time in a mighty long time. Coach Tarver knew BH and the district very well. Financial problems have placed alot of stress on the teaching faculty as well as the coaching staff at H-F. That could spill over. Otherwise, they will be very competitive. Their strenths include shutting down the outside run on defense and being able to run cross traps on offense. H-J has got to rely solely on returning lettermen. Any type of injury or grade problems will kill them. Our JV team beat theirs 49-0 last year and they did not even field a freshman team by the time they played us. I could see several of their players seeing time on both sides of the ball by the time they play BC, Anahuac, H-F, and Orangefield. That stretch will dictate how they finish in your district. If H-J is hurting by the time they play Orangefield, the Bobcats could pass them, both literally and figuratively.

Old Cardinal
07-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Thank, Now that what I call a great scouting report! Orangefield will be tough this year, Coach Flangain is a great Coach, he has had little extraodinary talent to work with till this year-I see them in the playoffs. His record at Troup was outstanding. One problem, Coach Sanders with his great size-em-up brain, looks like is leaving.

QBKilla
07-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Does anybody think that Shepard will be able to do anything. I heard that they have athletes but cant ever put anything together. Is it a coaching problem or what? Oh and Old Cardinal I think the only way to get Dave to notice some old Region III teams is to go ahead and sweep the state titles. Who better than BH and BC?

9's Mom
07-11-2002, 06:26 PM
I have to comment on something said in this topic. BH is growing and we do attract lots of students from the area, but in athletics, the same kids have been playing baseball and football together since jr high. If we are pulling kids in from baseball, why did we only have 1 returning starter on our baseball team? You can look at rosters from little league through varsity and see the same names year after year. It doesn't change much. The same goes for football. I wish people would get over the misconception that BH is in some way recruiting players. Money doesn't buy everything. We are very fortunate to have the industry's tax dollars, because it does provide great schools, coaches and teachers. But it doesn't buy talent, it comes naturally.

RBARKER
07-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the site G's Mom, I think there are four of us BH supporters on here now. If we keep this up we might catch up with Sinton. LOL!

9's Mom
07-11-2002, 11:44 PM
RBarker...not sure who "G" is. The #9 refers to baseball not football. Do you have a player on the team?

RBARKER
07-12-2002, 07:34 AM
OOPS, Sorry I thougt the #9 was a G (its hell growing old). No, I dont have a player on the team. Just a Bh supporter.