PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/Giddings/Estacado/P Grove

XMan
06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
First off, congrats to these 4 teams for winning their region. Special shout out to coaches Marlow and Mixon, two great baseball people who always have their teams in the hunt. I ask myself, what do these 4 schools do that others dont that got them to the big dance? I cant speak for P Grove (who is always a contender in Region 2) but I know for a fact that the other 3 schools have several players that play alot of baseball year round. Jasper is one of the few schools in the state that has offseason baseball and has its players playing in a fall baseball league. They are great year in and year out. A coincidence? I think not. Giddings had several players criticized for concentrating their efforts for a baseball run. Looks to me like its really paid off. Estacado also has some guys that work year round on the sport that they love. Whats the point of this? If you have a son that dreams of going to the state tournament, they might want to put some time and effort into it. 7 on 7 wont get it done. You have to play baseball to get better in baseball. If your school has an unqualified coach, doesnt allow for baseball offseason in the fall, or frowns upon the betterment of baseball ability in general, take a stand. The only way that things will change is if parents demand that their school not treat baseball as the red headed step child.

XMan,
baseball advocate

jdawg2012
06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
:clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping:

XMan
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Sleeping is what I would expect from LH. They are pretty good in football for a few years (not last year) and they pretty much stink in everything else. Keep not caring about the other sports. Im sure other teams dont mind kicking your rears.

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Regional Quarterfinals in Volleyball
Regional Semifinals in Softball

doesnt sound to bad to me

XMan
06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Volleyball and softball are female sports in texas, at least around here they are.

Old Cardinal
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
These girls work hard and represent their schools very well and should not be looked down upon because they are relegated to girls sports activities!

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Sleeping is what I would expect from LH. They are pretty good in football for a few years (not last year) and they pretty much stink in everything else. Keep not caring about the other sports. Im sure other teams dont mind kicking your rears.
Hahaha!!! Little do you know about our baseball program.....or most other sports, for that matter. Our softball team was playing last weekend. Volleyball made it to the Regional tourney....girls' basketball made it to the Regional tourney finals. Of the past 5 or 6 years, our boys' basketball has made it the Regional tourney all but 1 or 2 of those years. Baseball typically makes it 2-4 rounds deep. We've had one at the State CC meet for the past 4 or 5 years. And at least one at the State track meet for the past 5 or 6. Plus a power lifter at state each of the past 3. That leaves golf and tennis. We've had tennis kids at State in the past 3 years. I'll give you golf - yeah, we're getting our rears kicked there. :p

XMan
06-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I am not looking down upon girls athletics. I congratulate the LH girls and all girls for their accomplishments. Just a fact of the matter that the girls sports dont have to compete with football like baseball does. Old Cardinal, you need to jump into this with me, as being a baseball advocate yourself.

Old Cardinal
06-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank you LH Panther Mom for defending a lot of good LH athletes!

XMan
06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Liberty Hill got 3rd in dist. in baseball. Lost 10-0 in first round of playoffs. You are correct in me not knowing what goes on in LH so why dont you inform me. During football, what do your baseball only players do during the athletic period? Who is in charge of those guys? How many fall baseball games do the baseball players play? When football season does end, what happens to ALL the baseball players? do the BASEBALL players go to baseball practice during the period w/baseball coach or do they go to offseason football. When baseball season begins in late Jan. do the baseballers go to offseason first or straight to baseball? Was your baseball coach hired for his baseball knowledge or because he was a good football coach? How many of your baseball assistants have a solid baseball background? (played after hs) Answer these questions for me, maybe im dead wrong, we shall see. Also, for all those not in the know, power lifting and team tennis (in 3a) are not UIL sports. If your school is spending your tax dollars on these sports, id be very leery.

XMan,
baseball advocate

LE Dad
06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but 90% of PGs team plays football. There are 2-3 that also play basketball, including their #1 pitcher.

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Just a fact of the matter that the girls sports dont have to compete with football like baseball does.
No, but the girls' sports do have to compete with the girls' sports. :p

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Liberty Hill got 3rd in dist. in baseball. Lost 10-0 in first round of playoffs. You are correct in me not knowing what goes on in LH so why dont you inform me. During football, what do your baseball only players do during the athletic period? Who is in charge of those guys? How many fall baseball games do the baseball players play? When football season does end, what happens to ALL the baseball players? do the BASEBALL players go to baseball practice during the period w/baseball coach or do they go to offseason football. When baseball season begins in late Jan. do the baseballers go to offseason first or straight to baseball? Was your baseball coach hired for his baseball knowledge or because he was a good football coach? How many of your baseball assistants have a solid baseball background? (played after hs) Answer these questions for me, maybe im dead wrong, we shall see. Also, for all those not in the know, power lifting and team tennis (in 3a) are not UIL sports. If your school is spending your tax dollars on these sports, id be very leery.

XMan,
baseball advocate
Yes, THIS year we lost in the first round after getting third. It's only been the past few (maybe 5-6) that we've had any "only" players, whether basketball, football or baseball. 2 of the 3 BASEBALL coaches we've had the past few years played baseball in college...one of them is the head bb coach. I don't know what the basis was for them being hired, but they DO know baseball. Daddy D or Super R would be a better candidate to answer about baseball period or offseason. We've had several kids go from the end of school, to track practice, then baseball practice, just not this year. Fall baseball? "Here" that's for the community league, unless some of the kids are playing select. I wasn't blessed with baseball players, or at least not past community league, but I don't support those kids any less.

As far as power lifting and team tennis not being UIL sports...so what? Isn't one of the main goals of ATHLETICS to develop better athletes while teaching life lessons? :thinking:

XMan
06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
So, you have no answers. So, you dont know. You will argue and argue but when it comes down to it, you have no facts. I would invite anyone reading this to answer the questions I pose as they pertain to your particular school. I am very interested in knowing what is/is not going on at schools.

XMan
06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but 90% of PGs team plays football. There are 2-3 that also play basketball, including their #1 pitcher.

LE dad, how has LE faired against PG in baseball in the last 10 years??????

How does this burst my bubble??? Ive never said that baseballers shouldnt play football. IT IS GREAT THAT THEY CAN PLAY MORE THAN 1 SPORT, ITS THE BEST THING ABOUT SMALL SCHOOL ATHLETICS. What Im against is one sport being placed in a higher pecking order than another, doesnt matter what the sports are. This happens a ton with volleyball over basketball and softball, same thing, its wrong. For 2 sport athletes, (baseball/football in this case) football, starts as soon as the last baseball game is over. Football runs until last football game is over. When football is over, baseball begins. Baseball lasts until last baseball game. What happens in reality is that football is year round and baseball can have a few games from Feb-April as long as no football activity interferes. Two sport athletes should not have to go through an offseason when they are in season. 7 on 7, track, and powerlifting should be for guys that play football only. Footballers who play basketball or baseball should not be concerned with it. Also remember it is against UIL rules for any 7 on 7 funding come from school dollars in any way. Cant use school equipment, (balls, workout clothes, etc) no school transportation or free rides from coaches, school booster club funds are also included in this. There are many out there that violate.

XMan,
baseball advocate

XMan
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
As far as power lifting and team tennis not being UIL sports...so what? Isn't one of the main goals of ATHLETICS to develop better athletes while teaching life lessons?

As a taxpayer, what other non uil activities would you be willing to fund? It starts with these but where does it end. You want to pay for fall baseball or summer basketball? How bout an FFA shooting team, lets buy them all shotguns and pay for their shells. What im saying is that lots of people are unaware that powerlifting and team tennis are non uil but are still being funded. Just want people to know what they are paying for.

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
As a taxpayer, what other non uil activities would you be willing to fund? It starts with these but where does it end. You want to pay for fall baseball or summer basketball? How bout an FFA shooting team, lets buy them all shotguns and pay for their shells. What im saying is that lots of people are unaware that powerlifting and team tennis are non uil but are still being funded. Just want people to know what they are paying for.
Power lifting doesn't take any special equipment, other than suits, and AS a taxpayer, I'm perfectly happy to have had two of my sons participate. Any of our team tennis players are playing spring tennis, so again....no special equipment. Fall baseball and summer basketball are not school sanctioned, so you're comparing apples to oranges. In addition to that, aren't there UIL rules regarding school coaches coaching either of these? :thinking: It's pretty similar to 7 on 7. Unless it's considered a school activity or organization, then taxpayers shouldn't have to fund it.

XMan
06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
You think all the football coaches coaching powerlifting arent getting stipends? You think it costs nothing to drive buses of powerlifters all over the place for meets? You been to a meet and seen the special equipment used? The meets are held at school sites, did they use electricity for lights/air conditioniong/heating? Everything costs. Summer basketball and summer/fall baseball are not school sactioned. School employees can not coach these teams. The schools can not use school money to fund these. What im saying is that is how it should be and it shouldnt change. Do you have any answers to the questions I posed earlier. People keep going on tangents but no one is willing to answer the questions.

XMan,
baseball advocate

sinton66
06-06-2010, 04:35 PM
First off, congrats to these 4 teams for winning their region. Special shout out to coaches Marlow and Mixon, two great baseball people who always have their teams in the hunt. I ask myself, what do these 4 schools do that others dont that got them to the big dance? I cant speak for P Grove (who is always a contender in Region 2) but I know for a fact that the other 3 schools have several players that play alot of baseball year round. Jasper is one of the few schools in the state that has offseason baseball and has its players playing in a fall baseball league. They are great year in and year out. A coincidence? I think not. Giddings had several players criticized for concentrating their efforts for a baseball run. Looks to me like its really paid off. Estacado also has some guys that work year round on the sport that they love. Whats the point of this? If you have a son that dreams of going to the state tournament, they might want to put some time and effort into it. 7 on 7 wont get it done. You have to play baseball to get better in baseball. If your school has an unqualified coach, doesnt allow for baseball offseason in the fall, or frowns upon the betterment of baseball ability in general, take a stand. The only way that things will change is if parents demand that their school not treat baseball as the red headed step child.

XMan,
baseball advocate

How many state baseball championships have all of them won together?

LE Dad
06-06-2010, 04:43 PM

LE dad, how has LE faired against PG in baseball in the last 10 years??????

XMan,
baseball advocate LE has pretty much owned PG until the last 2-3 years. LE won SC in baseball in 06 and was an SC finalist in 07. I don't know what your point is about baseball starting when football ends because then we would miss our regional finalist basketball and our state runnerup track teams. Our kids particpate in several different sports not just one or two.

XMan
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
LE dad, i stand corrected on the pg/le series. I was thinking that pg was the one that won state and went back again. I can admit I was wrong on that. The simple question I pose is this, What does your athletic program do to help athletes become better baseball players. NO on seems to be able to answer this. Also, since a Sinton fan has jumped aboard, how do things work down in Sinton. Sinton has been so successful in BOTH baseball and football over the past 20 years. I would really like to know how the two co-exist down there and what the baseball guys do in the offseason to improve their game.

sinton66
06-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I believe the only kids that played summer ball were pitchers that figured to go on after college. The staff makes all the difference in Sinton, that and tradition. In baseball, it really boils down to some talent and a GREAT coach. Most of the Sinton kids play multiple sports. The only ones I remember that were allowed to concentrate on one sport were our one and only state basketball championship team. But even then, one of those players was a starting pitcher on the baseball team.

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
You think all the football coaches coaching powerlifting arent getting stipends? You think it costs nothing to drive buses of powerlifters all over the place for meets? You been to a meet and seen the special equipment used? The meets are held at school sites, did they use electricity for lights/air conditioniong/heating? Everything costs. Summer basketball and summer/fall baseball are not school sactioned. School employees can not coach these teams. The schools can not use school money to fund these. What im saying is that is how it should be and it shouldnt change. Do you have any answers to the questions I posed earlier. People keep going on tangents but no one is willing to answer the questions.

XMan,
baseball advocate
All our coaches, not just football, are required to coach a secondary sport. And I have no problems with the Head baseball coach getting a stipend for being the "head" freshman football coach, nor with our volleyball coach getting a stipend for being the girls' track coach, nor for our Asst HFBC getting a stipend for being the offseason/power lifting coach. I know your son plays football AND I believe is also a power lifter, if memory serves me correctly. :thinking: I've been to plenty of PL meets and have seen some "fancy" equipment...and some made from PVC by a bunch of coaches or dads. Sure it costs money! It costs money to travel 3 hours for a baseball tournament. All athletics cost money.

Do you have any answers to the questions I posed earlier. People keep going on tangents but no one is willing to answer the questions.

XMan,
baseball advocate
I answered the ones I knew the answers to. I had to do some searching to provide more answers, since neither Daddy D nor Super R were on the board.

Originally posted by Electus Unus
Some schools make it where they practice track for about an hour then go to baseball practice shortly after.

Originally posted by Daddy D 11
That's what LH does.

LH has had a baseball off season for 5 years. Helps a lot I think.

Originally posted by Super_R
haveing a baseball class surely doesn't hurt. Fooball and basketball have classes...why shouldn't baseball. Some programs get thier players as soon as the other season is over.
^^^^^

I realize I'm probably clueless, but sometimes it's mainly the caliber of athletes on the field, and less to do with the rest.

zebrablue2
06-06-2010, 05:36 PM
xman

put your true location, beside's tx down and let us know what part of the state you are in... I am pretty sure, and you know the answer to all of your own questions. hell, your own son went football, not baseball, as good as he was... if not, just keep :stirpot:

Buffgal
06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Giddings
1. If you are a baseball only athlete, you are not considered an athlete and are not allowed to enroll in athletic class so therefore you are not an athlete in the fall, just a regular kid in school. You have no athletic period on your schedule.

2. Because you are a GISD student, you can utilize the multi $$$ weight room that is spectacular to say the least but you have to be supervised by a coach. Difficult to do this since all the coaches are coaching fall sports, most of them on the football field. This group of baseball guys went to a local gym and worked out together, threw together, threw BP to each other, ran, etc.

3. Baseball guys figured out how to work the system to get better on their own. Some stopped playing football so that they could do specialized baseball oriented work outs w/o being made to hit heavy weights etc in football oriented weight programs. Some stopped playing football because they didn't want to risk injury or further injury in some cases. Some quit football because football wasn't their thing. Some quit football so that they could extend the summer baseball into fall and get seen by college scouts who were in their down time and were able to watch. Most of them were heavily criticized by everyone from just a passerby in the grocery store, to coaches and only very few understood where their decision was coming from even close friends.

4. Baseball field is a joke. Adequate stands and concession. This year with the high school construction, additional room for a locker room was given to the baseball team. A portable building classroom was opened up and lo and behold, the baseball team got a bathroom. You would have thought they had opened up the Taj Mahal. Boys were estatic. Baseball coach and volunteer built one indoor cage in the abandoned ag shop. It is awesome and came in handy with the wet and cold weather early in the season. Boys were stoked that they got these two perks, a john and a hack shack and I'm not kidding. It was nice and appreciated.

5. Giddings team has gotten better by playing on their own with very good summer and fall organizations and playing ALOT. They committed to this themselves along with their parents and sometimes siblings and alot of family sacrifice in time and $$$.

6. They had a team mom who wasn't afraid to give them a hug or a swift kick in the butt for the last 13 plus years.
;)

XMan
06-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Giddings
1. If you are a baseball only athlete, you are not considered an athlete and are not allowed to enroll in athletic class so therefore you are not an athlete in the fall, just a regular kid in school. You have no athletic period on your schedule.

2. Because you are a GISD student, you can utilize the multi $$$ weight room that is spectacular to say the least but you have to be supervised by a coach. Difficult to do this since all the coaches are coaching fall sports, most of them on the football field. This group of baseball guys went to a local gym and worked out together, threw together, threw BP to each other, ran, etc.

3. Baseball guys figured out how to work the system to get better on their own. Some stopped playing football so that they could do specialized baseball oriented work outs w/o being made to hit heavy weights etc in football oriented weight programs. Some stopped playing football because they didn't want to risk injury or further injury in some cases. Some quit football because football wasn't their thing. Some quit football so that they could extend the summer baseball into fall and get seen by college scouts who were in their down time and were able to watch. Most of them were heavily criticized by everyone from just a passerby in the grocery store, to coaches and only very few understood where their decision was coming from even close friends.

4. Baseball field is a joke. Adequate stands and concession. This year with the high school construction, additional room for a locker room was given to the baseball team. A portable building classroom was opened up and lo and behold, the baseball team got a bathroom. You would have thought they had opened up the Taj Mahal. Boys were estatic. Baseball coach and volunteer built one indoor cage in the abandoned ag shop. It is awesome and came in handy with the wet and cold weather early in the season. Boys were stoked that they got these two perks, a john and a hack shack and I'm not kidding. It was nice and appreciated.

5. Giddings team has gotten better by playing on their own with very good summer and fall organizations and playing ALOT. They committed to this themselves along with their parents and sometimes siblings and alot of family sacrifice in time and $$$.

6. They had a team mom who wasn't afraid to give them a hug or a swift kick in the butt for the last 13 plus years.

It is truly impressive how the Giddings boys have overcome all the adversity and become region champions two times in a row. Again, Giddings ISD has done next to nothing to help these boys out. I can only imagine how good not only these guys but 3a baseballers across the state could be if they had any backing/support of any kind from the school districts. Giddings athletics is being run under the dictactorship of an Odessa Permian style program. Yet, this group of boys has overcome. Truly impressive!!!!! Kills me that non footballers can not be in athletics during the fall. How bout, in the spring, non in sport guys cant be in athletics? No football offseason. ha ha ha ha ha. If I were a Giddings parent I might have to mention how unfair all of this is!!!!!!!

XMan,
baseball advocate

GiddingsFan
06-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Are you serious? The kids are considered athletes. They have to be in 2 sports to be in athletics. No matter what 2 sports. You need to get your info correct before you post a bunch of non-facts. You really do harbor a lot of anger towards Giddings. It's been going on long enough. Shut up already.

XMan
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Having a prerequisite of being in one sport to be in another sport is directly against UIL rules.

88bobcats
06-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Having a prerequisite of being in one sport to be in another sport is directly against UIL rules.

That's not what was stated.

If I understood correctly, the Giddings poster stated that you had to be in 2 sports to be in the athletics class.

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I never said the prerequisite even applied to Giddings, I was just stating a general fact.

LE Dad
06-06-2010, 09:18 PM
:doh: If I don't like the way my childs school is running its athletic program I will talk to the AD. If that doesn't work I talk to Supt. . No luck there I will call up a few school board members. Still nothing and I will go find someone who feels as I do and work to get them elected, if enough people feel the same as I do then change will occur; if not then maybe I need to move.:thinking:

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
In the Giddings case, how can they say you have to be in 2 sports to be in the athletics class? What if you are in football in the fall and say you are going to play another sport in the spring but then you dont. You were really only in 1 sport but got to be in the athletic period during fall. Do they kick out all the football only kids in the spring? Hell no they dont, they put them in offseason. The bottom line is that they want the athletic period for football purposes and want to piss on any other sports that kids choose to play. The athletic dept does not want to have an offseason for non footballers and dont want to have to put a coach in there with them. This is the bottom line plain and simple. Its all about football, football, football, and the good of the football coach/ad. They can say anything they want but they are screwing baseball/basketball over big time. Again, if i were a Giddings parent I would go to the AD, then the Supt. then to the school board members and let them know they are screwing kids over.

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Another point to consider. If a student moves for athletic purposes, he is not eligible to play at the new school.

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I think we get the point already...look I love baseball as much as anybody, but we are in Texas and football is king and always will be. If the school doesnt offer a baseball offseason then take the kids out of athletics and let him do it on his own

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Baseball ump, im not ever going to stop. Baseball has been screwed for 100 years and im tired of it. Im going to rant and rave and rant and rave some more. If the school said the white kids could have offseason but the african americans couldnt, think of all the hell that would break out. I dont see this any differently. Baseball is discriminated against and im tired of it.

XMan,
baseball advocate

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I understand that, but i dont believe anyone on here is the head of the UIL and can make these changes mandatory at the 3A and below levels

LE Dad
06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
LE dad, i stand corrected on the pg/le series. I was thinking that pg was the one that won state and went back again. I can admit I was wrong on that. The simple question I pose is this, What does your athletic program do to help athletes become better baseball players. NO on seems to be able to answer this. Also, since a Sinton fan has jumped aboard, how do things work down in Sinton. Sinton has been so successful in BOTH baseball and football over the past 20 years. I would really like to know how the two co-exist down there and what the baseball guys do in the offseason to improve their game. The few kids that don't play football do have offseason during athletics, the same during basketball. Like I stated earlier most do play football though and at least 2 play basketball. We have 1 kid that plays 4 sports, don't ask me how, but he does. That is my main thing is that it is no better for you to push Baseball above all other sports than it is for others to push football. All sports should be given equal attention, even the girly ones.:D

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
The few kids that don't play football do have offseason during athletics, the same during basketball. Like I stated earlier most do play football though and at least 2 play basketball. We have 1 kid that plays 4 sports, don't ask me how, but he does. That is my main thing is that it is no better for you to push Baseball above all other sports than it is for others to push football. All sports should be given equal attention, even the girly ones.

LE dad, i completely agree with you. Im using baseball as my example but all sports/activities being important is what im after. Im happy to see that LE has an offseason baseball, they are one of the lucky few. Every activity, band, ag, girls cross county, should be important. Im just asking for people to take a stand and not put up with the abuse any longer. Give everyone a chance to be great at what they love.

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I understand that, but i dont believe anyone on here is the head of the UIL and can make these changes mandatory at the 3A and below levels

This is not a UIL issue. This is an issue to be dealt with at each school district. Each school district can choose how to handle their athletic period if they have one. Problem is, the AD is the one who makes the decision and the AD is usually the head football coach. From there you can see where the emphasis is going to be placed.

XMan,
baseball advocate

I_DONT_CARE
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
I think we get the point already...look I love baseball as much as anybody, but we are in Texas and football is king and always will be. If the school doesnt offer a baseball offseason then take the kids out of athletics and let him do it on his own
WELL I HAVEN'T GOT THE POINT! WHAT IS IT?

TELL YOUR KID TO QUIT FOOTBALL IF IT'S SUCH A BIG DEAL TO YOU! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
So you want us all to speak to our ADs to make a change

XMan
06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Point is that baseball is discriminated against. Tired of it, going to make everyone aware of how I feel.

XMan,
baseball advocate

BaseballUmp
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I feel you on that i played football every year never really liked it, but it always kept me in top shape so i stuck with it

Buffgal
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
let me clarify...

If you only participate in one sport and it is a spring sport (ie baseball, track, golf, tennis)then student is not allowed to be in athletic period during the fall. If you are a basketball only player, then you are allowed in fall athletic period because basketball season begins late in the fall semester.

Baseball players who were only participating in baseball-ONE SPORT do not have an athletic period during the fall. They are enrolled in other regular classes and have no workouts/offseason supervised by the school nor are they in a athletic class.

Same thing applies to a girl who is only a softball player. She is not in the athletic period during the fall. She is in regular classes and then joins athletics in Jan after Xmas break.

These kids who only participate in one sport and it is a spring sport are not even introduced at the annual "Meet the Buffs".

Believe me, I have complained numerous times and the only answer I get is the proverbial "Well, we've always done it that way". Never really affected my kids until one decided to concentrate on a spring sport: baseball. But I watched how several in the past (One who had a knee injury that sidelined him from football so he concentrated on baseball and golf, Rossiepoo ) and as a very involved senior sat and watched "Meet the Buffs" from the stands. I thought it stunk then for him and I still do. How hard would it have been to call his name and let him walk across the field.

I'm done with it all with the last one's graduation. Would love to hear from some of the programs that are successful at both ie Carthage??? How does it work there?

If a kid want's to study spelling words or play the tuba, shoot baskets, run 40 miles a week during cross country, show a pig....

Whatever the kid wants to do....just participate in something and THERE SHOULD BE SUPPORT FOR ALL OF THIS.

People on here can rag all the time about the other sports whining BUT until you have walked in the other shoes of parents of these nonfootball playing kids....no pep rallies, no decorated locker rooms, sometimes not even any fans, buy your own shoes, order your own playoff shirts if you want them , basically you're on your own because you chose to snub the almighty football.

You really don't have a clue.

Baseball team is taking care of itself, fans are coming to the games and seeing how much fun the baseball family is having and "the fever" is catching. This group did it on their own and Giddings will not have another run of this caliber in baseball unless younger parents take the same road. Giddings ISD did not produce this group, they made themselves through alot of summer sweat, alot of pbj sandwiches, alot of at bats, private pitching lessons and the luck of having a coach who had two sons the same age and taught the high fundamentals of the game since they were all about tee ball age.

XMan
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I hear ya, sister.

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Our football & I presume volleyball players are removed from the athletics period at Christmas break their Senior year, unless they play basketball/softball/baseball. We don't have a TRACK period and it doesn't make much sense to try to have track during a period, since our track is 2 miles from school. It's the same point, just the other side of the foot.

What would you have the school do for a fall off-season for baseball/softball athletes? How many "only" kids are there in those sports? 5 or 6 total? What coach should run the off-season? And why should the schools utilitize TWO coaches (one for each!) for that small of a number? How many teachers only have 3-6 kids in a classroom?

buff4life
06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
really screwed up a good thread designed to talk about the state tourney teams

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
designed to talk about the state tourney teams
LOL! Not so much....unless it's the first 2 sentences!

XMan
06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Track doesnt have an offseason. Since it is an individual sport, as is tennis and golf, there is no practice season. Those sports can practice from day 1 of school till the end. They can even practice with their coach during the summer. As far as baseball and softball. Have the baseball and softball coaches in the period with thier "only" kids. Those coaches are in athletics during those times anyway. Have the coaches decide what activities would benefit his/her team the best. Whether that be strength and conditioning or skill type stuff or a combination. Id like to see lift and run 2 or 3 days a week and hit/throw/field/run bases type stuff the other days. You would be surprised how good you can get if you take 100 swings a day, 50 grounders a day and 50 fly balls a day.

Daddy D 11
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
xman, in liberty hill baseball only athletes have a class YEAR AROUND coached by the head baseball coach. once football is over, the football players that play baseball report to that period and the same goes for basketball.

so dont jump down LHPM's throat when you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

buff4life
06-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
LOL! Not so much....unless it's the first 2 sentences!

my bad looking at thread title....certain beverages might have decreased the accuracy of my assumption...yes thats great grammar for how i'm feeling :D

Buffgal
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
xman, in liberty hill baseball only athletes have a class YEAR AROUND coached by the head baseball coach. once football is over, the football players that play baseball report to that period and the same goes for basketball.

That is awesome and the way it should be. The baseball coach should be designing the work outs and be in charge of those athletes year round. LH is lucky to have this and it works as they have been very successful in football & this set up has not taken away from their success.

In Giddings, Football players are not removed from the athletic period during the spring. They are signed up as powerlifters or track. Many are put at the JV level in these sports. Some have been successful at the varsity level in these sports but the bottom line is they are under the guidance of the football program the entire school year. They do the football program workout every day and participate in drills designed for football players.

If you play football and then baseball, this is what you encounter. Pressure to give up summer baseball to participate in 7x7 (why I don't know since we don't pass the ball????) but OK we participated one summer. Then 2 a days, then fall. Lift before school, period during the day (don't know what they do in this time but are on the field in shorts/helmets), after school practice. On Friday game days, lay around the field house in the decorated locker room, eat cookies/cupcakes provided by the cheerleaders (yes i know this I had the head cheerleader), have a pep rally with vball/cc teams, school provided meal on out of town games and no lifting. No lifting is great, I think this is what they should do, they are going to exert themselves and they need to be fresh. Everybody agree???

OK now we go to baseball season. We did so good at football and the football program prepared us so well that we played until December. It was fun. We open Xmas presents and start throwing the baseball. But wait.........we are told to still be there before school to lift, head baseball coach (all coaches by the way) is told to report @ 6:30 am to get ready for next yrs football season & make sure you are teaching your regular classes during the day too (don't worry about having the #1 preseason ranked baseball team, they can probably take care of themselves) && baseball player is doing the football oriented workout and lifting during the mid day athletic period. NO BASEBALL ORIENTED ANYTHING UNTIL BASEBALL COACH SEES THEM @ 4:30 PM. It wasn't until baseball team revolted last season that they were excused from lifting on game days. && several made their own decision to work the system in the way that benefited them the most and unfortunately, that was to quit football. Then they were in control (most of the time w/o a coach) but they were in control of their own development. When as a parent I asked AD about baseball team lifting on game days, He said they would get used to it and it would make them better baseball players, no need to modify the weights in any way on game day, didn't think it was necessary for pitchers/catcher legs to be fresh and rested. THEN why weren't the football players lifting on Fridays??????

When I spoke to the AD about this (let's see was it time #7 or #77) I tried to make him understand by asking him why his football players didn't follow the cross country workout (which had been to state 4 times and had a highly successful coach) CC team ran approx 40 miles a week year round..........AD replied that is stupid, football players don't do that kind of workout. I think he possibly might have been hit in the head too many times during his own football playing days because he didn't get my point.

I do not mandate that anyone should quit football or any sport.

Those kids and parents who participate in several sports during high school, I admire them greatly. My daughter ran Cross Country, was a varsity cheerleader and then ran track while staying in the Top Ten academically. I know the effort and commitment but that doesn't mean school's shouldn't design the best possible scenario for the kids who only do one extra curricular activity.

Football is great, nothing more memorable than the Friday Night Lights in a small town. Taught my kid to be tough and pushed him physically & mentally more than anything he has ever done several times to the breaking point. Shoulder injuries put the sport into perspective for him plus his own height/weight and made him realize how much he wanted to play baseball. If the athletic system in Giddings had been as supportive of him in baseball as it was in football, if he had felt that the AD truly cared about his success at both sports, he might have had a tougher time making his decision to quit. As it is set up now, it was a no brainer. Nobody else at GISD was taking care of him so he took charge.

And to get back to the thread topic.

To the Final Four in 3A Baseball: What a tough group..
Pleasant Grove, LBK Estacado, Jasper and Giddings
THIS IS YOUR FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS Good luck at the state tournament. Play hard and leave it on the diamond.

Go Buffs :inlove: :inlove:
you have taught me so much about baseball and what it means to be a team. The memories we have shared through the years as your team mom are some of my very best.

Pitching, hitting, defense. Keep it going.
Pitch by Pitch...still. F I N I S H

NastySlot
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
That is awesome and the way it should be. The baseball coach should be designing the work outs and be in charge of those athletes year round. LH is lucky to have this and it works as they have been very successful in football & this set up has not taken away from their success.

In Giddings, Football players are not removed from the athletic period during the spring. They are signed up as powerlifters or track. Many are put at the JV level in these sports. Some have been successful at the varsity level in these sports but the bottom line is they are under the guidance of the football program the entire school year. They do the football program workout every day and participate in drills designed for football players.

If you play football and then baseball, this is what you encounter. Pressure to give up summer baseball to participate in 7x7 (why I don't know since we don't pass the ball????) but OK we participated one summer. Then 2 a days, then fall. Lift before school, period during the day (don't know what they do in this time but are on the field in shorts/helmets), after school practice. On Friday game days, lay around the field house in the decorated locker room, eat cookies/cupcakes provided by the cheerleaders (yes i know this I had the head cheerleader), have a pep rally with vball/cc teams, school provided meal on out of town games and no lifting. No lifting is great, I think this is what they should do, they are going to exert themselves and they need to be fresh. Everybody agree???

OK now we go to baseball season. We did so good at football and the football program prepared us so well that we played until December. It was fun. We open Xmas presents and start throwing the baseball. But wait.........we are told to still be there before school to lift, head baseball coach (all coaches by the way) is told to report @ 6:30 am to get ready for next yrs football season & make sure you are teaching your regular classes during the day too (don't worry about having the #1 preseason ranked baseball team, they can probably take care of themselves) && baseball player is doing the football oriented workout and lifting during the mid day athletic period. NO BASEBALL ORIENTED ANYTHING UNTIL BASEBALL COACH SEES THEM @ 4:30 PM. It wasn't until baseball team revolted last season that they were excused from lifting on game days. && several made their own decision to work the system in the way that benefited them the most and unfortunately, that was to quit football. Then they were in control (most of the time w/o a coach) but they were in control of their own development. When as a parent I asked AD about baseball team lifting on game days, He said they would get used to it and it would make them better baseball players, no need to modify the weights in any way on game day, didn't think it was necessary for pitchers/catcher legs to be fresh and rested. THEN why weren't the football players lifting on Fridays??????

When I spoke to the AD about this (let's see was it time #7 or #77) I tried to make him understand by asking him why his football players didn't follow the cross country workout (which had been to state 4 times and had a highly successful coach) CC team ran approx 40 miles a week year round..........AD replied that is stupid, football players don't do that kind of workout. I think he possibly might have been hit in the head too many times during his own football playing days because he didn't get my point.

I do not mandate that anyone should quit football or any sport.

Those kids and parents who participate in several sports during high school, I admire them greatly. My daughter ran Cross Country, was a varsity cheerleader and then ran track while staying in the Top Ten academically. I know the effort and commitment but that doesn't mean school's shouldn't design the best possible scenario for the kids who only do one extra curricular activity.

Football is great, nothing more memorable than the Friday Night Lights in a small town. Taught my kid to be tough and pushed him physically & mentally more than anything he has ever done several times to the breaking point. Shoulder injuries put the sport into perspective for him plus his own height/weight and made him realize how much he wanted to play baseball. If the athletic system in Giddings had been as supportive of him in baseball as it was in football, if he had felt that the AD truly cared about his success at both sports, he might have had a tougher time making his decision to quit. As it is set up now, it was a no brainer. Nobody else at GISD was taking care of him so he took charge.

And to get back to the thread topic.

To the Final Four in 3A Baseball: What a tough group..
Pleasant Grove, LBK Estacado, Jasper and Giddings
THIS IS YOUR FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS Good luck at the state tournament. Play hard and leave it on the diamond.

Go Buffs :inlove: :inlove:
you have taught me so much about baseball and what it means to be a team. The memories we have shared through the years as your team mom are some of my very best.

Pitching, hitting, defense. Keep it going.
Pitch by Pitch...still. F I N I S H

are you sure they had to lift on game days.....you might want to check out the uil manual.......this i believe may be a violation.

Taken from the UIL Football Manual...Offseason section:

(2) Off-Season Participation. Varsity or non-varsity athletes shall not be required to participate in an off-season program on the day of an in-season competition.

GiddingsFan
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
It's really a shame that most of your posts are so hateful, Buffgal. Your son did what was right for him. Taking every chance you can to bash the AD and GISD is just ridiculous. Hopefully after the game(s) this week you will move on...to another website! Look around the stands Wednesday and see how many coaches are supporting Marlow and the team...football coaches, basketball coaches, soccer coaches, etc.

Maybe you get on here and rant because no one listens to you in person. Take a hint.

I cannot even imagine the pitchers' moms getting on here and griping day after day about how their kids had the misfortune of being part of GISD's sports program. They wouldn't conduct their business this way.

pirate4state
06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Point is that baseball is discriminated against. Tired of it, going to make everyone aware of how I feel.

XMan,
baseball advocate

:bigcry:

hookandladder
06-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
It's really a shame that most of your posts are so hateful, Buffgal. Your son did what was right for him. Taking every chance you can to bash the AD and GISD is just ridiculous. Hopefully after the game(s) this week you will move on...to another website! Look around the stands Wednesday and see how many coaches are supporting Marlow and the team...football coaches, basketball coaches, soccer coaches, etc.

Maybe you get on here and rant because no one listens to you in person. Take a hint.

I cannot even imagine the pitchers' moms getting on here and griping day after day about how their kids had the misfortune of being part of GISD's sports program. They wouldn't conduct their business this way.

I am not trying to take sides but until you have been on the other side( baseball and softball side), you will not understand what Buffgal is saying. As far as the other coaches( Football) being in the stands Wednesday and supporting the baseball players you need to wake up, I would bet Coach Fritzhenry would rather be getting a root canal then watching a baseball game. Been there done that.

As far as LG's offseason during baseball season, Baseball players that are also playing football must go thru football offseason. Baseball players do not do offseason on game days, they go to field and hit. The main problem I saw this year was with pitchers arms hurting because of upperbody workouts, think this problem was workout. If not it will be worked out next year.