PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Everyone Look Down to Baylor?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I know they haven't been historically a great athletic school, but they are top-notch in regards to education provided to students. Sure, it's a small school in contrast to Texas A&M and Texas, but that doesn't mean that they can't compete athletically or represent any conference in a positive way academically. Also, they're improving greatly in all sports across the board, including football and basketball, and in a year or two, if the Big XII stays in tact, will be one of the top programs in both sports. Art Briles and Scott Drew are great coaches and are doing great things to create a winning tradition at the university. I see a lot of people who overlook them or don't think they're as deserving to be in the Big XII or be offered membership in a new conference along with the more popular universities, but I think they've made a strong case with their recent athletic performances and the potential they have for even more success in the near future.

IrishTex
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I know they haven't been historically a great athletic school, but they are top-notch in regards to education provided to students. Sure, it's a small school in contrast to Texas A&M and Texas, but that doesn't mean that they can't compete athletically or represent any conference in a positive way academically. Also, they're improving greatly in all sports across the board, including football and basketball, and in a year or two, if the Big XII stays in tact, will be one of the top programs in both sports. Art Briles and Scott Drew are great coaches and are doing great things to create a winning tradition at the university. I see a lot of people who overlook them or don't think they're as deserving to be in the Big XII or be offered membership in a new conference along with the more popular universities, but I think they've made a strong case with their recent athletic performances and the potential they have for even more success in the near future.

I wonder if Baylor switching conferences soon means they will have to proove themselves all over yet again?

:thinking:

Rabid Cougar
06-05-2010, 09:28 PM
They wouldn't have been in the Big 12 if it were not the Baylor Alums in the State legislature and Gov. Ann Richards (Baylor Alum.)

eagles_victory
06-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Conference changing is all about football keep in mind Kansas may be on the outside looking in when it comes to conference shifting and they are one of the most histroic basketball programs there is.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Come on, let's be serious, Baylor is probably going to be a tough team to beat next year if Griffin and few of their other skill players stay injury-free.

bigwood33
06-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I saw RG on Thursday and he looked great. The coaches said that he had an outstanding spring. You are right, Art CAN coach.

vet93
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Baylor is getting the short end of the stick because they do not have the alumni/fan support and money to be considered a big dog in the courting of teams for conferences. Your are correct that they do well in alot of sports and may be on the upswing in football.

Yoe_09
06-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Come on, let's be serious, Baylor is probably going to be a tough team to beat next year if Griffin and few of their other skill players stay injury-free.

It would definitely be am improvement but what record would they have in the Big 12 this year?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
It would definitely be am improvement but what record would they have in the Big 12 this year?

The beauty about football is you never really know what kind of team is going to take the field. Baylor looks strong considering the skill players they have returning next year. They could find a defense and be leaps and bounds better than expected. They could also lose key players to injury and do just as poorly as they did last year. I think that if they are healthy, they will definitely make some noise.

Black Swarm
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Conference championships

Baylor has won 59 conference titles, 31 of which are from the Big 12, and the other 28 from the Southwest Conference:

Baseball

* Regular Season: 1923, 1966,[6] 2000, 2005[7]

Men's Basketball

* Regular Season: 1932, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1950[6]

Men's Cross Country

* 1992, 1994[6]

Fencing (conference competition ended in 1957)

* 1939, 1940, 1941[6]

Football

* 1922, 1924, 1974, 1980, 1994[6]

Men's Golf

* 1957, 1966,[6] 2001[8]

Men's Tennis

* Regular Season: 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009[9]
* Tournament: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009[10]

Men's Indoor Track and Field

* 1976, 1996[6]

Men's Outdoor Track and Field

* 1960, 1962, 1963[6]

Women's Basketball

* Regular Season: 2005[11]
* Tournament: 2005[11], 2009[12]

Women's Cross Country

* 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993[6]

Women's Soccer

* Regular Season: 1998[13]

Softball

* Regular Season: 2007[14]

Women's Tennis

* Regular Season: 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008[15]
* Tournament: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009[16]

Emerson1
06-06-2010, 01:18 AM
I jumper on their bandwagon once RGIII committed to play there.

Rabid Cougar
06-06-2010, 07:40 AM
If their football titles looked like their tennis titles/womens basketball titles then they would be a player at the table.

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
If their football titles looked like their tennis titles/womens basketball titles then they would be a player at the table. Conference expansion may seem like just football for AD's but once school presidents and chancellors get involved at these meetings and vote to see who gets an invite it's a whole other ball game.

ziggy29
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
The beauty about football is you never really know what kind of team is going to take the field. Baylor looks strong considering the skill players they have returning next year. They could find a defense and be leaps and bounds better than expected. They could also lose key players to injury and do just as poorly as they did last year. I think that if they are healthy, they will definitely make some noise.
I thought they were poised to start the rise last year, until Griffin went down. That pretty much torpedoed their whole season.

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/95703039.html

The latest news is that Baylor is pulling out all the stops, politically. BU is just so low that it is beyond embarrassment. Doormats don't usually act like they're running things.

We'll see if the Bears can pull this off so they can continue to get beaten like a drum for another 15 years in the Pac 16.

A "normal" school would want to be in a conference in which it could compete.

Daddy D 11
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
baylor rocks

Emerson1
06-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Does Baylor have a dance team?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/95703039.html

The latest news is that Baylor is pulling out all the stops, politically. BU is just so low that it is beyond embarrassment. Doormats don't usually act like they're running things.

We'll see if the Bears can pull this off so they can continue to get beaten like a drum for another 15 years in the Pac 16.

A "normal" school would want to be in a conference in which it could compete.

If I recall, aside from football, they weren't the doormat for anybody last year. They produce great student-athletes across the board. If you really feel that way about Baylor, then give good reasons for why they're such an unworthy school.

JasperDog94
06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Football is king. If you want to be a big dog in this hunt for a new conference then you need to show some moxie on the gridiron. And right now Baylor has almost none. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the perception right now.

And on a personal note I think Baylor is overpriced for the education that you receive, but that's just personal opinion, nothing more.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Football is king. If you want to be a big dog in this hunt for a new conference then you need to show some moxie on the gridiron. And right now Baylor has almost none. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the perception right now.

And on a personal note I think Baylor is overpriced for the education that you receive, but that's just personal opinion, nothing more.

You're right, but Baylor has improved a lot and were poised to have a breakout season last year. Unfortunately, Griffin and a few other skill positions got hurt.

Any private institution is going to be overpriced.

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2010, 05:19 PM
This realignment is all about television revenue, 90 percent of which is generated by the sport of football. The Waco market is the 89th largest in the nation. No one is salivating over it. Sorry. And Baylor is not Notre Dame. It has very little following outside of Waco and its scattered alums elsewhere.

Baylor is attempting to "free ride" based on political connections into the new superconference so it can undeservedly share in the revenue. It has no illusions of being able to compete on the gridiron, but very much wants to continue to be highly paid for being beaten down week after week and year after year.

I see their point. If you're used to losing and getting paid for it, it's bound to be a shock to see the gravy train potentially about to dry up.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
This realignment is all about television revenue, 90 percent of which is generated by the sport of football. The Waco market is the 89th largest in the nation. No one is salivating over it. Sorry. And Baylor is not Notre Dame. It has very little following outside of Waco and its scattered alums elsewhere.

Baylor is attempting to "free ride" based on political connections into the new superconference so it can undeservedly share in the revenue. It has no illusions of being able to compete on the gridiron, but very much wants to continue to be highly paid for being beaten down week after week and year after year.

I see their point. If you're used to losing and getting paid for it, it's bound to be a shock to see the gravy train potentially about to dry up.

They've been building a solid program in football. They went out and got Art Briles. They've recruited some great skill players and really some great players all the way around. They're on the upswing, and would have done some great things last season if Griffin hadn't been injured.

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
They've been building a solid program in football. They went out and got Art Briles. They've recruited some great skill players and really some great players all the way around. They're on the upswing, and would have done some great things last season if Griffin hadn't been injured.

BTW, it's not just Baylor attempting to free ride, IMO. Lubbock is not a big TV market either (No. 143 in the nation, considerably below even Tyler-Longview's rank of No. 109), but Tech does have a bigger alumni base elsewhere. The only school anyone really wants is UT. Hate on the Horns if you want, but this is reality.

The Pac 10 requires a unanimous vote for expansion. I've read that Stanford, in particular, absolutely does NOT want to allow a religious institution into the conference. That could be a dealbreaker, but I'd imagine there's a good chance the $$$$ signs from the new television contract will overcome such philosophical objections.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2010, 06:29 PM
BTW, it's not just Baylor attempting to free ride, IMO. Lubbock is not a big TV market either (No. 143 in the nation, considerably below even Tyler-Longview's rank of No. 109), but Tech does have a bigger alumni base elsewhere. The only school anyone really wants is UT. Hate on the Horns if you want, but this is reality.

The Pac 10 requires a unanimous vote for expansion. I've read that Stanford, in particular, absolutely does NOT want to allow a religious institution into the conference. That could be a dealbreaker, but I'd imagine there's a good chance the $$$$ signs from the new television contract will overcome such philosophical objections.

Texas A&M makes a lot of money as well, and arguably has the strongest network of former students. We haven't been on par with Texas in regards to football recently, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Texas A&M makes a lot of money as well, and arguably has the strongest network of former students. We haven't been on par with Texas in regards to football recently, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

No doubt. They're in a lot stronger position than Tech. And I think many of the Ags would rather have gone to the SEC, but its academics are just too ridiculously elementary for a research institution such as A&M or Texas.

I just had another thought. As long as Stanford is lodging objections to religion, the Cardinal might want to investigate the "Aggie" religion, which seems to have an even greater hold on many Texas A&M alums than the Baptist faith has on Baylor grads. :D

Aside from the money, which SHOULDN'T BE a driving factor for a "Christian" school, but which obviously is, I just don't understand Baylor's mentality here.

It'd be like Gilmer wanting to be with the "big boys" in Longview's district, even though we know it would mean the Buckeyes would never win state again and would be lucky to ever even win district again.

sic'em
06-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Aside from the money, which SHOULDN'T BE a driving factor for a "Christian" school, but which obviously is, I just don't understand Baylor's mentality here.

If conference A (read Pac 16) would pay you $20 million a year and conference B (read Mtn. West) would pay you $1.2 million a year, you would always pick conference A. To do otherwise would be irrational and suicidal. You would do whatever it took to get into conference A.

Ranger Mom
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Isn't Baylor where Cuero's Kaeron Johnson plays??

I can't remember his username here!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Isn't Baylor where Cuero's Kaeron Johnson plays??

I can't remember his username here!!

Kayron=gobbler84

sahen
06-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sic'em
If conference A (read Pac 16) would pay you $20 million a year and conference B (read Mtn. West) would pay you $1.2 million a year, you would always pick conference A. To do otherwise would be irrational and suicidal. You would do whatever it took to get into conference A.

sic'em we are christians we are supposed to want to suffer and give up our seat at the big boy table for someone like Colorado who does such a bang up job of running their athletic dept they cant even afford to fire their horrendous football and basketball coaches....

we dont deserve to get in on football, however if they look beyond that you get a different story...just depends on what the pac10 or the texas legislature wants...im thinking the texas legislature is going to be for keeping the millions of dollars that waco rakes in since baylor is in a major conference and letting those guys that have jobs because of it keep them...but that just my guess...peopel seem to think its all about football, but its really all about money and the state of texas stands to make more w/ 4 schools in any new super conference than 3...

sic'em
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by sahen
im thinking the texas legislature is going to be for keeping the millions of dollars that waco rakes in since baylor is in a major conference and letting those guys that have jobs because of it keep them...but that just my guess...peopel seem to think its all about football, but its really all about money and the state of texas stands to make more w/ 4 schools in any new super conference than 3...

you sir understand how the real world works. why would our state legislators allow millions of dollars to leave our state for colorado if they could do something about it? getting 4 texas schools in the pac16 would be a REAL stimulus package. if baylor doesn't get in, central texas will be hurt greatly. if i owned the czech stop in west, i would be calling my state rep today.

JasperDog94
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I've read that Stanford, in particular, absolutely does NOT want to allow a religious institution into the conference. That could be a dealbreaker, but I'd imagine there's a good chance the $$$$ signs from the new television contract will overcome such philosophical objections. I hate to break it to Stanford but Baylor (other than in name only) has long since ceased to be a religious institution.

sic'em
06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I hate to break it to Stanford but Baylor (other than in name only) has long since ceased to be a religious institution.

it may not be a bible college but it is still very strongly connected to the Baptist General Convention of Texas. they still select 25% of the board of regents and help fund the school. it definitely has strong enough ties that it makes the liberal west coast schools uncomfortable. they don't want to associate with people that believe in jesus

Phil C
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
If I recall, aside from football, they weren't the doormat for anybody last year. They produce great student-athletes across the board. If you really feel that way about Baylor, then give good reasons for why they're such an unworthy school.

BBDE I admire the Baptist Church.

Old Tiger
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I hate to break it to Stanford but Baylor (other than in name only) has long since ceased to be a religious institution. Yeah I've seen some Baylor girls not be very Baptist.