PDA

View Full Version : Would LeBron seriously consider the Mavs?

IrishTex
06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
http://www.lebrontothemavs.com/images/home/index_r3_c15.jpg

1. The chance to play with J Kidd and The Big German. Kidd is the ultimate teammate, a veteran who has guided teams to the Finals. LeBron, you already know how much fun it is to play with Kidd as you've already won a Gold Medal with him. And the chance to play with an MVP like Dirk who demands so much attention on the offensive end will be an unbelievably unique opportunity for a guy who's used to seeing waves of defenders without having anyone to help shoulder the load. Heavy lifter, meet heavy lifter – you'll find you have much in common.

2. Dudes who want to be billionaires like kicking it with billionaires. That's why you, King James, sought out Warren Buffet at such a young age. You like making money and respect dudes who have it. Guess what Mark Cuban has? You know this and we like that you know this.

3. No State Income tax. Dudes who want to be billionaires get there faster but not wasting it on stupid stuff like State Income Tax, nawmean?

4. JerryWorld. LeBron, you love the Dallas Cowboys. That's a fine choice. You also love big stages. You enjoyed that big All-Star weekend, didn't you? I think you enjoyed that very much. Jerry is down with you enjoying it all the time. So when you're not learning how to be a billionaire from Mark you can go watch Cowboy Games with Jerry or play some regular season games in that building if you'd like. That is, if you have time to do incredibly cool awesome stuff. Like ballin' in the First Wonder of the Sports World.

5. Full money dude. One of the ways you can get to be a billionaire is by not turning down $30 million when it's sitting on the table. That's the difference in signing with the Cavs and somebody else. But you don't want to stay in Cleveland. And you really think Dan Gilbert is going to do a sign-and-trade within his own Conference? C'mon man, let's be realistic. You think he's going to send you to Chicago? Craig Ehlo does not approve and dare we say that he might just resort to violence. He's not stable, that Craig Ehlo. Don't tempt him LeBron James, just sayin'.

6. Win now, LeBron James. You've been messin around in Cleveland your whole life and you've got one trip to the Finals to show for it. New York? I've seen the formula for a Championship and it does not include Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler as two of your top four players. Chicago? Your second highest paid teammate will be an injury prone dude who plays your position. Just wait till the kids who are good need to get paid. And by the way, that will ALWAYS be somebody else's franchise. New Jersey? That was impressive how they escaped being the worst team ever. Rebuilding is fun – why not waste your prime teaching kids how to win. Should be fun, if not altruistic. Miami? D Wade really likes you, just not as much as he likes having the ball in his hands on every single possession. You'll make a wonderful spot-up shooter. Everybody else? Whatever. Dallas? Hope you like rings, LeBron…hope you like a lot of rings!

Bull's-eye
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Do the Mavs have the resources to do a sign-n-trade? The Cavs would want high draft picks and young talent. To make the salaries match, Dallas would probably have to give up Terry & Butler. I don't see the Cavs taking on the bad contacts of Dampier or Marion. IMO, Dallas doesn't have the young talent or quality draft picks to make this happen. Cleveland can do much better than two aging players like Terry & Butler.

Emerson1
06-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Do the Mavs have the resources to do a sign-n-trade? The Cavs would want high draft picks and young talent. To make the salaries match, Dallas would probably have to give up Terry & Butler. I don't see the Cavs taking on the bad contacts of Dampier or Marion. IMO, Dallas doesn't have the young talent or quality draft picks to make this happen. Cleveland can do much better than two aging players like Terry & Butler.
Damp's contract is expiring and it's not fully guaranteed so that would be the first one they would want. It's Terry they will never be able to move, his contract is the worst on the team right there with Marion.

Throw in Butler and Roddy B with players to make the money match and the Cavs would be dumb not to take it. They really wouldn't have a choice if Lebron wanted to come to Dallas anyways.

Bull's-eye
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Damp's contract is expiring and it's not fully guaranteed so that would be the first one they would want. It's Terry they will never be able to move, his contract is the worst on the team right there with Marion.

Throw in Butler and Roddy B with players to make the money match and the Cavs would be dumb not to take it. They really wouldn't have a choice if Lebron wanted to come to Dallas anyways.

I disagree, why take on Dampier's 12 million for another year? Cleveland does have a choice and they could get much better offers from other teams. Dallas doesn't have the cap room to sign James, so they must meet the terms of a sign-n-trade. With Shaq possibly retiring, does Cleveland have enough money to keep James and add one of the top free agents? Keep dreaming if you think Dallas will get James for Dampier, Buttler & Roddy B. Cleveland would probably be better letting James walk and then signing a top free agent this year.

Emerson1
06-05-2010, 03:16 PM
If Lebron wants to go to Dallas, they can either let him walk, or do a s&t and get Butler and Roddy B + trash. Why not get a decent player for a year and a player with huge potential that is under contract for a few more seasons?

Cleveland would probably be better letting James walk and then signing a top free agent this year.
No top free agent is going to go to Cleveland. Even if they wanted to, Cleveland is only going to be 5 million under the salary cap once Lebron leaves.

Bull's-eye
06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
If Lebron wants to go to Dallas, they can either let him walk, or do a s&t and get Butler and Roddy B + trash. Why not get a decent player for a year and a player with huge potential that is under contract for a few more seasons?

No top free agent is going to go to Cleveland. Even if they wanted to, Cleveland is only going to be 5 million under the salary cap once Lebron leaves.

If Cleveland lets him walk, then he won't be signing with Dallas. James doesn't want to lose 30 million & the Cavs will want something in return. I don't see Dallas having the resources to get this done, even if James is set on going to Dallas.

I don't know Cleveland's cap situation, but with James & Shaq possibly off the books, they should be able to be a player in this year's free agent market.

Emerson1
06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
If Cleveland lets him walk, then he won't be signing with Dallas. James doesn't want to lose 30 million & the Cavs will want something in return. I don't see Dallas having the resources to get this done, even if James is set on going to Dallas.

I don't know Cleveland's cap situation, but with James & Shaq possibly off the books, they should be able to be a player in this year's free agent market.
There is nothing in the way of Lebron coming to Dallas if he wants to come. Cleveland would be stupid to not do a s&t even if the only quality player they get is Roddy B in the long run. Lebron gets his $30 million and Cleveland gets Butler and Roddy B which is more then they can afford in the free agent market. If they let Lebron walk they have no resources to sign a free agent that will help them.

Clevelands cap situation is they will be at $52 million if James leaves. The cap next season is $57. Last season they were at $84, so even losing 2 huge contracts they aren't in great shape.

Bull's-eye
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Clevelands cap situation is they will be at $52 million if James leaves. The cap next season is $57. Last season they were at $84, so even losing 2 huge contracts they aren't in great shape.

So how can the Cavs take on the contracts of Dampier, Butler, etc in a trade without being way over the cap? They can't dump salaries on the Mavs who are also $34 mil over the cap.

Bull's-eye
06-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Didn't Dirk opt out of his contract? All this attention for James, Dirk may not feel wanted. Dallas would be in big trouble if Dirk left and they don't get James. :doh:

Emerson1
06-05-2010, 05:59 PM
So how can the Cavs take on the contracts of Dampier, Butler, etc in a trade without being way over the cap? They can't dump salaries on the Mavs who are also $34 mil over the cap.
Because they would be trading away Lebrons $20 million+ a year contract. So they would just have to match up right money wise. Something like 125% + $100,000

TheDOCTORdre
06-05-2010, 06:28 PM
how long does Kidd have realistically left in his career? Bron might be able to squeeze out two championships in Dallas, the west is still tougher to make the finals even with Bron and Dirk, James will stay in the eastern conference if he does leave Cleveland.

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
LeBron isn't going to the mavs

CelinaCatFan
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
The main reason that LeBron will not end up in Dallas:

David Stern

(His dislike for Mark Cuban will not allow the Mavs to sign the best player in the game)

waterboy
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I actually believe that to be true in part. I think Stern will do anything he can to make sure that LeBron goes elsewhere. He can't stop it from happening, but he can sure influence the decision. LeBron will not end up in Dallas, but it would be nice if he did........depending on what they had to give up to get him. Right now I'm just hoping Dirk stays. It would be nice to put a couple of more consistent scoring players around him to help, though. Could you imagine a team with Dirk AND LeBron, along with Kidd and Butler?:eek:

crzyjournalist03
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I disagree, why take on Dampier's 12 million for another year? Cleveland does have a choice and they could get much better offers from other teams. Dallas doesn't have the cap room to sign James, so they must meet the terms of a sign-n-trade. With Shaq possibly retiring, does Cleveland have enough money to keep James and add one of the top free agents? Keep dreaming if you think Dallas will get James for Dampier, Buttler & Roddy B. Cleveland would probably be better letting James walk and then signing a top free agent this year.

If Cleveland traded for Dampier, they could immediately release him because his contract is not guaranteed, freeing up an extra $12 million under the cap. That's why they'd want him.

Bull's-eye
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If Cleveland traded for Dampier, they could immediately release him because his contract is not guaranteed, freeing up an extra $12 million under the cap. That's why they'd want him.

I partially disagree, if the Cavs are only worried about getting under the cap, aren't they better just letting James walk? Packaging Dampier with some young (cheap) talent and quality draft picks might interest the Cavs, but does Dallas have those assets? I say no.

Dallas has been drafting late in the first round for several years, so those future draft picks aren't that appealing and their current crop of young talent are mostly late round draft picks. I don't see this happening.

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I partially disagree, if the Cavs are only worried about getting under the cap, aren't they better just letting James walk? Packaging Dampier with some young (cheap) talent and quality draft picks might interest the Cavs, but does Dallas have those assets? I say no.

Dallas has been drafting late in the first round for several years, so those future draft picks aren't that appealing and their current crop of young talent are mostly late round draft picks. I don't see this happening.

It is not just about getting under the cap..expiring contracts are slots and Dampier's is a BIG slot to have. I think if they knew James was leaving and Dallas offered up Dampier and Roddy they would jump all over it.

NBA is not like MLB or even NFL..if your losing a stud your not going to be able to harvest that for multiple top notch players..you can get some expiring contracts and draft picks and a young possible star

Bull's-eye
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not just about getting under the cap..expiring contracts are slots and Dampier's is a BIG slot to have. I think if they knew James was leaving and Dallas offered up Dampier and Roddy they would jump all over it.
I'm not sure what you mean about slots, but wouldn't the expiring contract of James be even a bigger slot than Dampier?

I don't think Roddy (former 25th pick) would be enough. Roddy only averaged 5 pts a game, so his potential value is not quite enough to get James. Most teams don't want late first round draft picks, they must give them first round money and guarranty their contracts. At this point of the draft, teams are at a higher risk of failing. The early 2nd round picks are more desired because of of the non-binding financial situation.

The only way that James would go to Dallas is if they were his only choice. James doesn't want to lose that extra 30 million, Cavs want something in return and Dallas can't sign him without doing a sign-n-trade. Cuban would be pressured to meet the demands of the Cavs, not only by James but his own fans. He would have to give them more than Dampier & Roddy.

icu812
06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with Txbroadcaster on this. Damps huge expiring contract is what is being traded not Dampier. It opens room for teams that otherwise have no room. Whoever, has Damp will cut him and then he will sign a much much smaller deal somewhere. Even the Mavs will cut him and take the savings unless they find a better deal. Roddy B. has proven he has the talent to play well in the NBA. No draft pick can give a team that for certain. Plus the Mavs have another asset in Caron Butler. If James decides he is going to walk and leave the Cavs with nothing they would be crazy not to attempt a trade. The Mavs can offer what few teams can, huge savings to sign another player and talent.

If I'm the Mavs I wouldn't include Roddy in a trade unless it returns L.James or D.Wade.

icu812
06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about slots, but wouldn't the expiring contract of James be even a bigger slot than Dampier?

I don't think Roddy (former 25th pick) would be enough. Roddy only averaged 5 pts a game, so his potential value is not quite enough to get James. Most teams don't want late first round draft picks, they must give them first round money and guarranty their contracts. At this point of the draft, teams are at a higher risk of failing. The early 2nd round picks are more desired because of of the non-binding financial situation.

The only way that James would go to Dallas is if they were his only choice. James doesn't want to lose that extra 30 million, Cavs want something in return and Dallas can't sign him without doing a sign-n-trade. Cuban would be pressured to meet the demands of the Cavs, not only by James but his own fans. He would have to give them more than Dampier & Roddy.

So it would be better for the Cavs if James signs with the Nets and the Cavs get nothing? The Cavs are in no position to demand anything. Something of value is better than nothing at all. That is the position the Cavs are in.

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2010, 06:01 PM

In a sign and trade James would not lose the 30 million..Cavs would max him out then trade him

In the NFL teams trade Stars for Draft pics

In the MLB teams trade Stars for Prospects

In the NBA teams trade Stars for Contracts because the contracts represent the best value for getting more players

James's contract is about 16 mill a year...Dampier is 13 mill...So Cleveland could trade and get the 13 million dollar contract AND a player or players like Roddy and Butler.

While of course it is not the best situation, IT IS something back for letting James go and that will be a better option than just letting him walk.

And about the slots..when you have a contract expiring, you then can offer that amount to a FA..so they get Dampier release him, they then can use the 13 mill for FA's

icu812
06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
"Here’s how it would work:

Let’s say Sammy Superstar decides he wants a new team because he feels his old team will never be able to surround him with enough talent to win a title. (Aren’t we seeing this drama being played out on multiple stages?) This summer, unlike most, there will be teams everywhere with enough cap room to offer a max contract, and his old team might face the likely prospect of losing Sammy Superstar in free agency while getting nothing back at all. And teams without cap room will also be trying to woo Sammy, hoping his old team will let him leave via a Sign-and-Trade (SNT) which would provide some sort of lesser-but-desirable compensation back to the old team.

But teams offering SNTs for max contract players often face a too-huge obstacle: NBA rules require that teams over the cap send the old team fairly equal salary. If matching salary includes too much talent leaving, Sammy won't want to come to a crippled team, but if the matching salary has lots of players with big salary but little talent, the old team is likely to refuse. And for some teams, with the attractive prizes available in the summer of 2010, their biggest preference might be open up cap room to sign a free agent from somewhere else. In that case, matching salary from a SNT would get in their way, so it would be better for them to simply let him walk.

And if Dallas wants Sammy, since they have no cap room their only avenue would be via a SNT.

However The DUST Chip (this is Damp's contract) simply erases those types of problems for Dallas. By using DUST for the salary match:

a) the Mavs can take back a salary up to $16.4475M (which is within $125,000 of a max contract for Lebron, Wade, or Bosh)

b) the Mavs would not have to gut their roster of talent in order to match the required salary, and

c) the old team would simply waive Dampier and end up with no salary added to their cap. "

Here is the link if you want to read the entire article, there is more: http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullArchiveColumn.php?id=3040

James is in total control of everything. If he decides he wants to come to Dallas it will be the Cavs which will be forced to take what Dallas gives them. James might decide he ain't comming to the Mavs if Roddy is in the deal. Instead Dallas gives a #1 next year plus JJ Barea (ha ha). If the Cavs don't like it they can let James walk for nothing to NY or NJ.

Bull's-eye
06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by icu812
So it would be better for the Cavs if James signs with the Nets and the Cavs get nothing? The Cavs are in no position to demand anything. Something of value is better than nothing at all. That is the position the Cavs are in.

No, but would James give away that extra 30 million? Would he want to go to a losing organization by himself? Most big name NBA free agents go to a new team by a way of a sign-n-trade. Cleveland and only Cleveland can sign James for 125% of his current max. IMO, the only way that James signs for less is if he can team up with another max free agent like Wade or Bosh. Only a few teams have that kind of cap space and I'm almost sure it would have to involve at least one sign-n-trade to make the salaries match.

The Cavs actually have a say in this whole scenario. Only a few team could actually sign James without doing a sign-n-trade. Yes, they could get nothing in return, but that's basically what you get by trading for Dampier and releasing him.

Bull's-eye
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
In a sign and trade James would not lose the 30 million..Cavs would max him out then trade him

In the NFL teams trade Stars for Draft pics

In the MLB teams trade Stars for Prospects

Free agents in the NFL & MLB can sign with a new team without involving a trade, but their old team will be compensated with draft picks by their respective leauge.

IrishTex
06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
And oh by the way,
I forgot to mention there is a website for LeBron and the Dallas Mavericks. People here in the metroplex are really wondering if it's really possible to get LeBron.

Here is the website. (http://www.lebrontothemavs.com/)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/cometodallas.jpg

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
No, but would James give away that extra 30 million? .

again in a sign and trade he gets the max contract

Txbroadcaster
06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Free agents in the NFL & MLB can sign with a new team without involving a trade, but their old team will be compensated with draft picks by their respective leauge.

my point was that is what teams trade stars for in each league not why they do it

eagleqb_14
06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
i hope

SintonFan
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
http://www.lebrontothemavs.com/images/home/index_r3_c15.jpg

1. The chance to play with J Kidd and The Big German. Kidd is the ultimate teammate, a veteran who has guided teams to the Finals. LeBron, you already know how much fun it is to play with Kidd as you've already won a Gold Medal with him. And the chance to play with an MVP like Dirk who demands so much attention on the offensive end will be an unbelievably unique opportunity for a guy who's used to seeing waves of defenders without having anyone to help shoulder the load. Heavy lifter, meet heavy lifter – you'll find you have much in common.

2. Dudes who want to be billionaires like kicking it with billionaires. That's why you, King James, sought out Warren Buffet at such a young age. You like making money and respect dudes who have it. Guess what Mark Cuban has? You know this and we like that you know this.

3. No State Income tax. Dudes who want to be billionaires get there faster but not wasting it on stupid stuff like State Income Tax, nawmean?

4. JerryWorld. LeBron, you love the Dallas Cowboys. That's a fine choice. You also love big stages. You enjoyed that big All-Star weekend, didn't you? I think you enjoyed that very much. Jerry is down with you enjoying it all the time. So when you're not learning how to be a billionaire from Mark you can go watch Cowboy Games with Jerry or play some regular season games in that building if you'd like. That is, if you have time to do incredibly cool awesome stuff. Like ballin' in the First Wonder of the Sports World.

5. Full money dude. One of the ways you can get to be a billionaire is by not turning down $30 million when it's sitting on the table. That's the difference in signing with the Cavs and somebody else. But you don't want to stay in Cleveland. And you really think Dan Gilbert is going to do a sign-and-trade within his own Conference? C'mon man, let's be realistic. You think he's going to send you to Chicago? Craig Ehlo does not approve and dare we say that he might just resort to violence. He's not stable, that Craig Ehlo. Don't tempt him LeBron James, just sayin'.

6. Win now, LeBron James. You've been messin around in Cleveland your whole life and you've got one trip to the Finals to show for it. New York? I've seen the formula for a Championship and it does not include Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler as two of your top four players. Chicago? Your second highest paid teammate will be an injury prone dude who plays your position. Just wait till the kids who are good need to get paid. And by the way, that will ALWAYS be somebody else's franchise. New Jersey? That was impressive how they escaped being the worst team ever. Rebuilding is fun – why not waste your prime teaching kids how to win. Should be fun, if not altruistic. Miami? D Wade really likes you, just not as much as he likes having the ball in his hands on every single possession. You'll make a wonderful spot-up shooter. Everybody else? Whatever. Dallas? Hope you like rings, LeBron…hope you like a lot of rings!

No:inlove:

Bull's-eye
06-08-2010, 11:51 PM
After hearing the different possibilities, I believe James has a higher chance of resigning with Cleveland. The Cavs can pay him the max money, but also entice him with the idea of getting him more help. Janes knows that he has come very close to bringing his home town a title and is probably more motivated than ever. If James does bail on his fans, I don't see him leaving them without any compensation, plus he wouldn't want to lose that 30 mnillion dollars.

As far as his chances to Dallas, I think it is slim & none. Dampier's contract could allow the Cavs to spend 13 mil on a 2nd tier free agent, but who could they attract not having a drawing card like James? Dallas doesn't have the picks or young talent to win a bidding war for James.

Bottom line, I don't see Cleveland letting him go without one heck of a fight. They could easily do something with the expiring contract of Shaq, getting James some help from a team that may need cap relief. What stops the Cavs from doing their own sign-n-trade to get a free agent?