PDA

View Full Version : Coach John Wooden dies at age 99

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0604/espn_wooden1x_576.jpg

Known as the 'Wizard of Westwood,' Wooden's accomplishments with the Bruins during his 27-season tenure made him one of the greatest coaches in sports history. He also created the 'Pyramid of Success' motivational program.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-04/29005750.jpg
Wooden delivers instructions during a timeout in the 1972 NCAA championship game at the L.A. Sports Arena. UCLA defeated Florida State, 81-76; Bill Walton, seated at left, was named the tournament's most outstanding player. (Rich Clarkson / Sports Illustrated)

Link (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-mew-john-wooden,0,4909616.story)

Gobbler Fan
06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden

Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters.
John Wooden

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
John Wooden

There are many things that are essential to arriving at true peace of mind, and one of the most important is faith, which cannot be acquired without prayer.
John Wooden

RIP Coach Wooden

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden

Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters.
John Wooden

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
John Wooden

There are many things that are essential to arriving at true peace of mind, and one of the most important is faith, which cannot be acquired without prayer.
John Wooden

RIP Coach Wooden

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Matthew328
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
This is all you need to know about John Wooden

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4691772

Reds fan
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
A true legend!

RIP coach.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
This is all you need to know about John Wooden

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4691772

Awwww Matthew.....
That was the best post I've ever seen. Great job man....wasn't he something?

:clap:

Dieselsmoke
06-05-2010, 05:58 AM
“Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but what you should have accomplished with your ability.”
Coach John Wooden

RIP Coach

bigwood33
06-05-2010, 08:58 AM
True Greatness has passed. I can't help but draw a parallel with Tom Landry. Both men were classy, loyal, roll models that changed their sports forever.

Cowboy_Up
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Coach to Bill Walton,
"Bill, I know what the other schools say. If you come to UCLA I can't promise you'll make our team,"

Other favorites of mine:

Be quick but don't hurry.

Don't mistake activity for achievement.

Spread It Out
06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Greatest coach of any sport in the history of the world, and an even better human being. RIP John Wooden.

Spaceman_Spiff
06-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks Coach.

trojandad
09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
i don't hang around here except during football season, but i was really enjoying the homages paid to coach wooden and wanted to share my story of him:

my first wife became a flight attendant just after marriage and started meeting famous people on the plane and getting autographs. she asked me if i ever wanted one from anyone and i told her the only person i'd want anything from is coach wooden and even then i'd just like to shake his hand. years past and she would meet gerald ford, bob hope, on and on and i'd take a pass on an autograph.

one day, years later, we were flying back from LA to dallas (she was working the flight and i was in coach) when she came back and asked me who the coach was i had told her about. i said his name and she smiled "he's up in first class". i scoffed, then she pulls out a signed photo of coach wooden. i happened to have his "They Call Me Coach" book in my pack and, when she said he had a crowd, i told her i wouldn't bother him for a handshake, and asked her to just get him to sign my book if things settled down for him.

she came back later and said he wanted to shake my hand. i was so out of my league, fumbled and told her i really wasn't needing a visit from him, that his signature was a big enough blessing from him. she went up front, came back and said "he has your book, he says you can have it back when you come shake his hand". as i swallowed hard and got up, she said "he also said he's not Christ and your not the centurian soldier, so come share a juice with him". GOD that made me feel at ease!

someone had gotten up from his neighboring seat and he shook my hand, hugged my neck, bragged on how pretty and servantlike my wife was to him, and asked me to sit down and talk about the state of smu basketball (a buddy of mine, oscar roan, was on the freshman team at ucla with walton but had since transferrred to smu so he kept up with us well).

20 minutes later i left with the pr heads office and home number with an invite to go watch a uclan game with him that i never took him up on over the years. i went back to my seat, opened my book and read "remember, be strong in the Lord and the power of His might....always remember, son, the privilege was all MINE that we met, john wooden".

i've been fortunate in my life, i went to press maravich's basketball camp in high school and even played a pickup game with pistol pete, sat beside billy graham on a plane, met president reagan at his library once, on and on. the biggest privilege on my time on earth was that meeting with john wooden, he was put on this earth to change lives and mine was never the same. sure miss you, coach, but its hard to be sad when we all know you're back with your loving wife.....thanks for letting me share

BILLYFRED0000
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Now that is the passing of an humble giant. He will be missed but not forgotten that is certain.

95mustang
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Truly a one in a million! RIP Coach Wooden.

Phil C
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
RIP Coach :(