PDA

View Full Version : ***Breaking News****Longhorns to Pac 10?

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I just got an e-mail from www.orangebloods.com and here is the cut and past version:

Horns to the Pac 10?

The offseason rumbles of conference realignment have reached fever pitch, as Orangebloods.com reports a bombshell of a story this afternoon.

According to sources, the Pac 10 has made a bold move by preparing an invitation to Texas and another five Big 12 schools.
Who else is the Pac 10 targeting?
What would be the fate of the rest of the Big 12?
What is the likely timetable?
Get all of this and more today at Orangebloods.com

I wonder if this is just a way to get people to sign up?

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Of course it is!! I just read the article.

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
That is Ketch just blowing smoke out of his ass.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Of course it is!! I just read the article.

Hey Matthew, isn't Orangebloods part of Rivals? And do you still write for Rivals? Just wondering.

Black_Magic
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I dont know. I think its legit. one heck of confrence

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I dont think so. I think its legit. one heck of confrence Pac 10 wouldn't let 5 other big 12 schools in due to their academic prowess.

BaseballUmp
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
California Chancellor: Expect some monumental changes in college football...

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Hey Matthew, isn't Orangebloods part of Rivals? And do you still write for Rivals? Just wondering.

Yes orangebloods is a part of rivals and yes I still write for rivals.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes orangebloods is a part of rivals and yes I still write for rivals.

Good, maybe you can get some verification to this story?

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Not much to verify at this point, but its probably true. Chip Brown is usually on the money on these types of things.

Phil C
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't believe it. Besides what about Texas A&M?

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Texas A&M apparently is one of the other five to be invited.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Trust me, wherever the Horns go, the Aggies are sure to follow...

Say what you will, but both of those schools need each other.

:D

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Texas A&M apparently is one of the other five to be invited.

I understand the Pac 10 getting Texas/Texas A&M they excel in all sports across the board which is something the Pac 10 looks for and they also have the academics to go to the Pac 10. Who could possibly be the other 3? Baylor, Colorado, and maybe Kansas IMO.

Does anyone think this has to do with USC's punishment?

Trust me, wherever the Horns go, the Aggies are sure to follow...

Say what you will, but both of those schools need each other.

:D A&M needs Texas more than Texas needs A&M, fact.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
its six total

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I understand the Pac 10 getting Texas/Texas A&M they excel in all sports across the board which is something the Pac 10 looks for and they also have the academics to go to the Pac 10. Who could possibly be the other 3? Baylor, Colorado, and maybe Kansas IMO.

A&M needs Texas more than Texas needs A&M, fact.

Both schools need each other...It's one of the last natural rivalries they have...Cough Oklahoma included cough.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM

If this happened, they'd go. Texas/aTm will be a package deal if there's a change in conference due to the athletic rivalry and the academic prestige. Barking carnival did a very good write-up on it a while back when all this talk first started, but I can't link it due to naughty language.

IF this is true, and assuming Mizzou & Nebraska go to BigTen, my guess would be...

*Texas
*aTm
*Baylor (good program as a whole and solid academic reputation)
*Colorado (makes geographic sense, plus they're one of the few, if only, grad schools that allow a doing JD/MBA program).

and the other 2 would be complete shots in the dark.
*KU & K-State? Good basketball programs, football has come up in recent years. Decent academics, at least at KU (I don't know much about State).

Just don't know - I don't see OU & Okie State going that far west (they'd be a package deal much like KU/State and Texas/aTm), and no one really wants Iowa State. Six schools seems like an awful lot. Hell, four schools seems like a lot. That's what is holding me back from believing this will happen. But who knows - stranger things...

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM

I was wondering about Oklahoma myself.

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I was wondering about Oklahoma myself. Athletically Oklahoma fits in at any conference just not academically.

Look for Dan Beebe to reform the Big 8 plus some other schools.

BaseballUmp
06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Ha I've noticed no one has said a word about Tech lol

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Ha I've noticed no one has said a word about Tech lol Sun Belt....as a whole athletic program they do not fit in any major conference nor do they for academics.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM

They both need each other. The Lone Star Rivalry has brought in a lot of sponsorship money for both schools, and it only works if they have conference play to work with in the other sports. Plus aTm has a pretty well known science & research dept, among other high level academics. They're a package deal, and they're very valuable in that respect. The only way it doesn't happen is if Texas goes independent, and that's if DeLoss feels like a real BSD.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Sun Belt....as a whole athletic program they do not fit in any major conference nor do they for academics.

What about Mountain West? Fit in real well there, I'd think, with Utah, BYU, TCU, etc. Gives them a better chance competitively in all sports AND helps the Mountain West in their bid to join BCS.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
You guys are killing me

The six are

Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Colorado

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
What about Mountain West? Fit in real well there, I'd think, with Utah, BYU, TCU, etc. Gives them a better chance competitively in all sports AND helps the Mountain West in their bid to join BCS. Sun Belt was more of a tongue in cheek statement but I can see the Mountain West picking them up

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:16 PM
You guys are killing me

The six are

Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Colorado

I don't get the Oklahoma/Okie State going out west thing. And way to ruin our debate for the day! :mad:

Tech over Baylor....doubt it.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Seriously why would anyone take Baylor right now? I dont get the Tech thing either...Oklahoma and Okie Light makes sense because Okie Light and Oklahoma are a package deal like A&M and Texas

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Seriously why would anyone take Baylor right now? I dont get the Tech thing either...Oklahoma and Okie Light makes sense because Okie Light and Oklahoma are a package deal like A&M and Texas

Baylor academically > Tech

Baylor track
baylor tennis
baseball is competitive
womens basketball
mens basketball

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Seriously why would anyone take Baylor right now?

*rising basketball program (helps Pac-10)
*solid baseball program(P10 is big in baseball)
*football program is getting better (and adds a doormat for some big schools with decent $$ draw)
*stellar track program (helps)
*solid in women's basketball and other women's sports
*solid academic reputation, moreso than OU, Okie State, or Tech.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
You guys all know whats driving this...Baylor is probably better in non-revenue sports but football is driving this bus and Baylor vs. Tech right now is no comparisson

DDBooger
06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Seriously why would anyone take Baylor right now? I dont get the Tech thing either...Oklahoma and Okie Light makes sense because Okie Light and Oklahoma are a package deal like A&M and Texas Sweet, I'll be working and researching at Okie Light this Fall.

88bobcats
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM

FACT?!

Are you kidding?

If not, please enlighten us with data that substantiates your "factual" claim.

Just because I put the word "fact" at the end of any of my opinions does not make them any more than that.....just an opinion.

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
FACT?!

Are you kidding?

If not, please enlighten us with data that substantiates your "factual" claim.

Just because I put the word "fact" at the end of any of my opinions does not make them any more than that.....just an opinion.

A&M is starved for cash because its athletic department fell $16 million into debt and received a loan from the school's general fund to pay it off, causing a rift between the university and athletics. That rift, in part, led to A&M school president Elsa Murano to resign under pressure because she was pushing for the money to be paid back and was met with resistance by A&M system chancellor Mike McKinney

And Texas is continually in the top 3 in revenue in college football as well as a program.

88bobcats
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
A&M is starved for cash because its athletic department fell $16 million into debt and received a loan from the school's general fund to pay it off, causing a rift between the university and athletics. That rift, in part, led to A&M school president Elsa Murano to resign under pressure because she was pushing for the money to be paid back and was met with resistance by A&M system chancellor Mike McKinney

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Coincidence does not mean causation.

None of this means that Texas A&M "needs" Texas.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
So let's just say the rumors are true, and those 6 teams move to the Pac 10.

Would that mean the old Big 12 teams kick butt right off the bat? I mean, I don't think USC could compete with Texas or A&M right now. Arizona?

NastySlot
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
i heard boise state was going to be jumping to mountain west....if so tech and baylor which ever gets the shaft...(if either do)....should jump at the chance to join the mountain west imo if the mwc expands and get a conference championship they will become a player in the bcs.

just wondering why couldn't they just take all four texas schools?

maroogreen
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech gets to be the butt of many jokes, but it has a medical school and law school (all at the same campus) and a fairly prestigious allied health program in addition to a nationally ranked communications school and geophysics school. Not really sure where the "Tech is an academic joke" came from. Unless one is referring to the past cumulative GPAs of the football team. Then I understand...

BaseballUmp
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I've always heard that it's not that tough to make an A at tech...

NastySlot
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

Would that mean the old Big 12 teams kick butt right off the bat? I mean, I don't think USC could compete with Texas or A&M right now. Arizona?

idk if they would kick butt ....i've often wonder how much a factor time zone travel plays.....it's gotta fatigue them a little? talent wise...those schools in west would catchup quick with the texas schools......recruiting the states of texas and california ...wow.....talk about talent.

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Would that mean the old Big 12 teams kick butt right off the bat? I mean, I don't think USC could compete with Texas or A&M right now. Arizona? USC's future success will be determined on what they found out yesterday and what we will find out tomorrow.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
USC's future success will be determined on what they found out yesterday and what we will find out tomorrow.

What does that mean?

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
What does that mean? The punishment that will be handed down by the NCAA for their basketball/football programs.

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Update******

From NBC Sports Link (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/pac-10-pilfering-half-dozen-big-12-teams/)

Looks like they are following up on my tip to them..

There have been all kinds of expansion rumors since the Big Ten announced in December that it was looking into expanding, but this one might take the cake. And the main course. And the appetizers as well.

Chip Brown of Rival.com's pay-per-view Orangeblood.com site -- and former Texas beat writer for the Dallas Morning News -- writes that "Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league."

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
And this from Orangebloods.com (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747)

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
And my pal, Rick Chandler (http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/06/-report-pac-10-eyes.html.php)

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
More on academics...

US NEWS UNDERGRAD RANKINGS, BIG 12 and PAC 10 (BIG 12 in bold)

4 Stanford University Stanford, CA
21 University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
24 University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA
26 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
42 University of Washington Seattle, WA
47 University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX
61 Texas A&M University--College Station College Station, TX
77 University of Colorado--Boulder Boulder, CO
80 Baylor University Waco, TX
88 Iowa State University Ames, IA
96 University of Kansas Lawrence, KS
96 University of Nebraska--Lincoln Lincoln, NE
102 University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
102 University of Missouri Columbia, MO
102 University of Oklahoma Norman, OK
106 Washington State University Pullman, WA
115 University of Oregon Eugene, OR
121 Arizona State University Tempe, AZ
TIER 3 Kansas State University Manhattan, KS
TIER 3 Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK
TIER 3 Oregon State University Corvallis, OR
TIER 3 Texas Tech University Lubbock, TX

lakers
06-03-2010, 07:49 PM
More on academics...

US NEWS UNDERGRAD RANKINGS, BIG 12 and PAC 10 (BIG 12 in bold)

4 Stanford University Stanford, CA
21 University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
24 University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA
26 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
42 University of Washington Seattle, WA
47 University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX
61 Texas A&M University--College Station College Station, TX
77 University of Colorado--Boulder Boulder, CO
80 Baylor University Waco, TX
88 Iowa State University Ames, IA
96 University of Kansas Lawrence, KS
96 University of Nebraska--Lincoln Lincoln, NE
102 University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
102 University of Missouri Columbia, MO
102 University of Oklahoma Norman, OK
106 Washington State University Pullman, WA
115 University of Oregon Eugene, OR
121 Arizona State University Tempe, AZ
TIER 3 Kansas State University Manhattan, KS
TIER 3 Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK
TIER 3 Oregon State University Corvallis, OR
TIER 3 Texas Tech University Lubbock, TX

Tech is making great strides academically and will likely become TIER 1 within the next couple of years.

sinton66
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Big 12 is meeting in Kansas this week. Could announce something tomorrow.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big_12s_future_on_agenda_at_meetings_95478054.html

KTJ
06-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Let's all remember one thing:

"prepared to invite" does NOT mean "those schools will accept."

Texas will look at ALL options, not just accept the first one given out. I think that's where most people (especially UT fans on the sites I post on) are getting confused. They are making the mistake of equating that an offer extended means we will automatically accept and I don't believe that to be the case.

I still think the Big 10 (which is what I think is best) is in play and the SEC (which would be stupid) is begging that Texas says yes.

Txbroadcaster
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Let's all remember one thing:

"prepared to invite" does NOT mean "those schools will accept."

Texas will look at ALL options, not just accept the first one given out. I think that's where most people (especially UT fans on the sites I post on) are getting confused. They are making the mistake of equating that an offer extended means we will automatically accept and I don't believe that to be the case.

I still think the Big 10 (which is what I think is best) is in play and the SEC (which would be stupid) is begging that Texas says yes.

true BUT USUALLY when a conference invites they have done their homework and they have gotten a yes underground before making offical announcment. Especially since ND rebuffed Big 10 back in the day.

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
true BUT USUALLY when a conference invites they have done their homework and they have gotten a yes underground before making offical announcment. Especially since ND rebuffed Big 10 back in the day. Some people are saying that Colorado, OKlahoma State, and Texas will accept the invite if it actually happens. As for Tech I honestly do not think they are an actual player in all this. I also hear that Oklahoma/A&M are thinking SEC.

Gotta love speculation!

jrhernandez7
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
all this is about 1. the big ten expanding an all others trying to keep up revenue wise. 2. texas longhorns are the prime catch for any confrence, the big ten , pac 10 , an SEC will each make a bid for texas. an its gona end up coming down to wich confrence gives in an allows texas to have there own network an keep the revune themselvs. TEXAS is the School that all the confrences want. an if none of them please delos dobbs an the board, then independent for the horns

maroogreen
06-03-2010, 11:40 PM
As for Tech I honestly do not think they are an actual player in all this. ..

Gotta love speculation!

This reminds me of a story I was told by a Tech regent when the Big 12 was forming from the remnants of the Southwest Conference.

Apparently, a preliminary deal was in place for Tech, Baylor, TAMU, UT, etc., to go into the Big 12. Then UT and TAMU decided to flex a little muscle and were trying to work an 11th hour deal with another conference (I forget which one now). But if UT and TAMU dropped out, the Big 12 deal was off for ALL of the schools.

So Bob Bullock, then the lt. governor of Texas (and a major behind-the-scenes dealmaker) and a Texas Tech alumnus, had what some refer to as a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the key players from UT and TAMU in his office at the capitol and lo and behold! The Big 12 conference was born.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this may have been somewhat documented later in a Texas Monthly cover story. It was the first time I'd ever heard the phrase "come to Jesus" meeting and I always remembered it.

The moral of the story is: never underestimate the power of West Texas politicians. Sometimes Tech is a bigger player than you think. :D :D

Buckeye1980
06-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Texas and A&M will not go seperate ways, the legislature would have to approve that and that will not happen

JasperDog94
06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
One question nobody has brought up yet: What would happen to our beloved BCS automatic invite for the Big XII?:( :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Matthew328
06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Texas wants their own network, they aren't going to the Big 10

Old Tiger
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Texas wants their own network, they aren't going to the Big 10 Texas will go where they don't have to share revenue or a limited amount of revenue. I could see going independent in football but keep remaining sports in the Big 12 or some other random conference.

Phil C
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Texas will go where they don't have to share revenue or a limited amount of revenue. I could see going independent in football but keep remaining sports in the Big 12 or some other random conference.

I agree Old that Texas could go independent in football but not in other sports. I can just hear the other conferences saying "No football? You no come to our conference."

Phil C
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
If A&M goes to the SEC there is no way Texas will follow them there. But still the rivalry could be continued.

Phil C
06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
The PAC 10 offer makes sense but I would want to know what the tie breaker would be. Also the divisions make sense but that would tie 7 games leaving 5 non conference games. I would prefer that the East teams play each other and thier champion would meet the West team champion which I think is the proposal. But I prefer the 5 non conference games be played with outsiders which would help us keep games with Baylor and other teams including maybe an SEC or Big 10 team and that there would not be any play with West Pac 10 teams until the championship to avoid possible rematches. In other words East is East and West is West and never the twane shall meet - until the Pac 10 or 16 Championship game.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
The PAC 10 offer makes sense but I would want to know what the tie breaker would be. Also the divisions make sense but that would tie 7 games leaving 5 non conference games. I would prefer that the East teams play each other and thier champion would meet the West team champion which I think is the proposal. But I prefer the 5 non conference games be played with outsiders which would help us keep games with Baylor and other teams including maybe an SEC or Big 10 team and that there would not be any play with West Pac 10 teams until the championship to avoid possible rematches. In other words East is East and West is West and never the twane shall meet - until the Pac 10 or 16 Championship game.

I agree Phil, I think it's initially set up in the Pac 16 for East and West.

It seems to me that the Pac 10 would seem to be the best conference to go to for Texas and the rest due to the TV revenue in the major markets.

Hypathetical Question: Do you think it would be possible for the old Southwest Conference to be successful today? Why?, or why not?

Txbroadcaster
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Hypathetical Question: Do you think it would be possible for the old Southwest Conference to be successful today? Why?, or why not?

nope..for the exact same reasons as why it failed..you lose in recruiting when your conference is basically state locked...Unless you have at least two schools in the top 5 and another 2 in the top 25 the rest of the nation would just not care enough to put games on national TV and in turn keep recruits wanting to go to a school they are going to get national exposure

vet93
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
The best move for the Aggies, although more risky, might be to break from the Pac 10 move and broker a deal with the SEC. The Longhorns are the Bell Cow for this Pac 10 deal and A&M will always be "little brother" to any conference where both teams reside together. If A&M breaks and goes to the SEC, then they could make a strong case in recruiting to kids in the Houston/Dallas markets that you will get to play the "best". Where this scenario falls apart for the Aggies is if they make the deal and the SEC schools whip the Aggies like a red-headed step child which is a distinct possibility in the immediate future. However, the Aggies have shown from the past that they can beat the LSU's, Auburns and Alabama's of the world if they can get a good portion of the Texas Blue chip athletes. Academically, the better fit is better in the Pac10 but it is football/$$$ that is driving all of this to begin with so academic fit may not be as important. It would be simple to maintain the rivalry by playing an early season game if both teems agreed.

Old Tiger
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by vet93
The best move for the Aggies, although more risky, might be to break from the Pac 10 move and broker a deal with the SEC. The Longhorns are the Bell Cow for this Pac 10 deal and A&M will always be "little brother" to any conference where both teams reside together. If A&M breaks and goes to the SEC, then they could make a strong case in recruiting to kids in the Houston/Dallas markets that you will get to play the "best". Where this scenario falls apart for the Aggies is if they make the deal and the SEC schools whip the Aggies like a red-headed step child which is a distinct possibility in the immediate future. However, the Aggies have shown from the past that they can beat the LSU's, Auburns and Alabama's of the world if they can get a good portion of the Texas Blue chip athletes. Academically, the better fit is better in the Pac10 but it is football/$$$ that is driving all of this to begin with so academic fit may not be as important. It would be simple to maintain the rivalry by playing an early season game if both teems agreed. That is a huge risk by A&M to have SEC teams coming in and competing with them for recruits. Right now A&M is just fighting Texas/Oklahoa for the top recruits in the state. If the SEC was coming into Texas more often and setting up recruiting fronts A&M would find themselves fighting with 2-5 other teams for recruits. The way things are right now Texas will continue to get their type of recruits. And if Texas went to the SEC they would still have a leg up because Muschamp knows SEC country and Applewhite has experience there also.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by vet93
The best move for the Aggies, although more risky, might be to break from the Pac 10 move and broker a deal with the SEC. The Longhorns are the Bell Cow for this Pac 10 deal and A&M will always be "little brother" to any conference where both teams reside together. If A&M breaks and goes to the SEC, then they could make a strong case in recruiting to kids in the Houston/Dallas markets that you will get to play the "best". Where this scenario falls apart for the Aggies is if they make the deal and the SEC schools whip the Aggies like a red-headed step child which is a distinct possibility in the immediate future. However, the Aggies have shown from the past that they can beat the LSU's, Auburns and Alabama's of the world if they can get a good portion of the Texas Blue chip athletes. Academically, the better fit is better in the Pac10 but it is football/$$$ that is driving all of this to begin with so academic fit may not be as important. It would be simple to maintain the rivalry by playing an early season game if both teems agreed.

Which is why I think Texas should follow A&M instead of vice-versa.

:D:stirpot:

vet93
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I understand your point....however...the SEC has already made inroads into Texas. Recruiting wise I don't think that the move would hurt Texas A&M as much as it would hurt Texas, Tech and the other Texas Schools. A&M would get more from a recruiting standpoint because it will be much more attractive for those kids who want to play in the SEC and stay "home" (in Texas) than go to Alabama where family/friends may only get to see you once a year when Alabama( or other SEC school) plays either LSU or A&M.

That is a huge risk by A&M to have SEC teams coming in and competing with them for recruits. Right now A&M is just fighting Texas/Oklahoa for the top recruits in the state. If the SEC was coming into Texas more often and setting up recruiting fronts A&M would find themselves fighting with 2-5 other teams for recruits. The way things are right now Texas will continue to get their type of recruits. And if Texas went to the SEC they would still have a leg up because Muschamp knows SEC country and Applewhite has experience there also.

vet93
06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Another aspect of recruiting for the Aggies is that they could possibly recruit even better in Lousiana. The Aggies have recruited well in Lousiana (especially in the Slocum era) but often lose out to LSU due to recruits wanting to play close to home and stay in the SEC. There are many recruits in Lousiana that don't necessarily want to go to LSU, but feel that it is the only way that they can stay close to home and play in a power conference. A&M to the SEC could give some of these kids another SEC option.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
So, I wonder if the invitations go out this weekend?

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
UPDATED:::::::::
From the Ft. Worth Star Telegram

An e-mail sent by the president of Ohio State to the commissioner of the Big Ten hints that the conference is pursuing Texas as part of its expansion plans.

Ohio State President Gordon Gee told Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany in an April 20 e-mail that Gee had spoken with University of Texas president Bill Powers.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/04/2239634/e-mail-hints-at-texas-in-big-ten.html#ixzz0pvvv0nwi

Something tells me there might be a bidding war for the teams from Texas.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Big 12 Meetings Adjourn With No Commitments, Lots of Questions

Source (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/04/big-12-meetings-adjourn-with-no-commitments-lots-of-questions/)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- No matter what Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe says publicly, he came here to the league's spring meetings this week looking for commitments from all 12 members.

But the commish left empty-handed Friday.

Beebe received anything but assurances as the four-day Big 12 spring meetings broke off. In fact, the Big 12's loyalty issues may have become worse this week now that it seems not just the Big Ten is after members of the Big 12, but the Pac-10 may be about to join the poaching.

The Big 12, as we've known it the last 14 years, is either about to look quite different in the next couple of years or ultimately may not exist at all.

"It's critical, it's a critical time period," Beebe admitted of these next several months.

The athletic directors met earlier this week, then combined with the presidents to deliver recommendations, and on Thursday and Friday just the board of directors got together. It's safe to assume everything was discussed from conference championship sites to scheduling, but the only talk that mattered this week was realignment and how the Big 12 hopes to stay together.

The future of the conference hinges on the decisions Missouri and Nebraska have to make in the next several months about whether they will bolt for the Big Ten and the riches of the Big Ten Network. Both schools seem to be willing to listen if the Big Ten comes calling as it explores expansion possibilities.

So with Missouri and Nebraska electing to keep their options open, it appears the other coveted members of the Big 12 will, too. The Pac-10 is reportedly interested in extending offers to Big 12 members Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to form a 16-team league.

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn has all but admitted he is anxious to hear what the Pac-10 has to offer.

All the while, the Big 12 members have been sitting at the table this week discussing the importance of solidarity and how to keep the conference intact. With so many rumors swirling it seems there has been little trust in those meetings, though Beebe insists otherwise.

"Absolutely and especially among the group I just left," Beebe said Friday after the board of directors meeting concluded the four-day festivities at the InterContinental Hotel. "The board members, presidents and chancellors, they deal with each other in a lot more than just intercollegiate athletics. They collaborate in research areas and other meetings and contexts for higher education. So I think there is an extreme amount of trust with the board, which is the ultimate authority in the conference."

Still there is no commitment to stick together. Instead, Beebe met with the media Friday and immediately started dropping convoluted words like "process," while answering very few questions about what has been decided so far.

But it doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on. Missouri wants a bigger share of the Big 12 television pie, while Nebraska wants more equality for the North Division schools. Accommodating either would upset Big 12 powerbrokers Texas and Oklahoma and the conference might disband anyway.

So Beebe finds himself in the most delicate of situations.

Losing Missouri and Nebraska would almost certainly mean the end of the Big 12 because there are no comparable replacements out there that would deliver the St. Louis television market that the Tigers do or the national notoriety of the Cornhuskers.

At the same time, there is no Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma.

Given those points, it seems the future of the Big 12 has never been more uncertain. Yet, Beebe was left by the board of directors Friday to put his best spin on the viability of the league without giving any tangible evidence of solidarity.

"I am comfortable," Beebe said. "There is a process we are going through, but based on the conversations that we had, I think we are in a very good position."

The problem isn't the perception the rest of the universe has of what has been one of the most elite conferences since its inception in 1996. The picture being broadcast is that the Big 12 is in serious trouble and that isn't the perception the league needs as it gets ready to negotiate a new deal with Fox Sports Net next April.

Beebe is banking on a television deal that would put the Big 12 on par with the ACC and SEC in terms of distribution to its members. But it's nothing more than a dream if Beebe isn't able to secure a commitment from Nebraska and Missouri before sitting down at the table to hammer out a TV deal to go along with a contract with ABC/ESPN that runs through 2015-16.

Beebe said more than once he was looking for commitments from members before this week's spring meetings concluded. He declined Friday to give a deadline of when he needed to know who is in and who is out. The logical answer is the scheduled October meeting of the board of directors, but Beebe wouldn't say that.

"The process that has been set is firm, but I am not going to engage in what that is," Beebe said. "That's just where it is going to sit."

In the meantime, rumors and speculation are going to continue about what conferences his members may be listening to. A report Friday morning had Ohio State president Gordon Gee and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany having an email exchange about luring Texas, with Gee going as far as to say he has had talks with UT president Bill Powers.

Conspicuously missing Friday was Powers, who was supposed to address the media with Beebe as chairman of the board of directors, but he didn't show apparently because of a traveling conflict.

Beebe, meanwhile, seemed unaffected by all the flirting from other conferences with his member schools.

"I don't blame those conferences for looking at our institutions," he said. "They are valuable institutions with a lot of great history and tradition and they add a lot. But I think we have a compelling case for why the Big 12 should stay together."

The billion-dollar question is what could he possibly offer that makes sense?

Should Texas, Nebraska or Missouri leave for the Big Ten, each school could stand to increase its conference take significantly to as much as $22 million per year. Should the Pac-10 deal take place, those schools could be looking at a similar growth in income.

Beebe, however, cautions that the net dollar figure may not be as high when you look at increased travel costs for sports teams, lost class time for the student athletes and not to mention the costs associated with leaving the Big 12 and the buy-in to a new conference.

"I think you have to peel back the onion and see if what you are talking about is what gets to athletics, and are there other expenses and costs," Beebe said. "We have had analysis and projections that looks like we are going to be every bit as well compensated in the future."

But even if that isn't completely accurate, what the Big 12 seems to have going in its favor are some complicated politics that makes movement for Texas and Oklahoma not so easy. The Big Ten, for instance, would love to take Texas and the millions of television sets the Longhorns have access to. But in order to do so, the Big Ten would have to offer memberships to both Texas A&M and Texas Tech because of state politics.

Texas A&M would be a good fit academically with the rest of the Big Ten schools, but Texas Tech would not because it doesn't share the same academic reputation.

Such complications might make it best for Texas to remain in the Big 12 and, should Missouri and Nebraska bolt, the league could form some type of partnership with the Pac-10 for television packaging purposes.

Beebe said Friday that a potential partnership with the Pac-10 had been discussed during the week at the athletic directors and presidents levels. The two leagues are already competing in non-conference play in men's basketball in what has become known as the Hardwood Series. A similar series could take place involving football during the non-conference portion of the schedule.

"There is a high interest and we will continue to explore those options," Beebe said. "There is a great affinity for those institutions. We have a Hardwood Series with them and there is talk of having a football scheduling alliance that could help both of our institutions' media package, plus have some quality games in September.

"There are all sorts of levels of cooperation that I think we could engage in with the Pac-10 that have been discussed with our members."

But as with everything else, there is no commitment.

NastySlot
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
PAC 16

Division A: SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Wash, and Wash. State.

Division B: Tech, Colorado, Ok. State, OU, Texas, A&M, Arizona and Arizona State.

if this happens...I'll bet Nebraska and Mizzou to Big 10......Baylor to MWC

What happens the Kansas schools and Iowa State?

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
What happens the Kansas schools and Iowa State?

Wouldn't they go to the Big 10 as well? I thought I heard that before.

TexasHSFootball
06-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Most logical move of the left overs:

Baylor, Iowa State to Conference USA.
Kansas, Kansas State to Mountain West with Boise State.
Nebraska, Missouri to Big 10.

IrishTex
06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Baylor, Iowa State to Conference USA

Why there?

TexasHSFootball
06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Why there?

It certainly doesn't make sense for either to go to the Mountain West. From an overall perception and competitive standpoint both would have much more success in not only football but the non-revenue sports as well. And when you have much more success, the easier it will be to recruit I don't see either making that big of a splash in the Mountain West.

Pmoney
06-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
PAC 16

Division A: SC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Wash, and Wash. State.

Division B: Tech, Colorado, Ok. State, OU, Texas, A&M, Arizona and Arizona State.

I honestly love the look of this conference

bigwood33
06-05-2010, 08:03 AM
IF the Big 12 has to go, I would MUCH rather see the Texas schools go to the SEC. More traditional rivalries and not 2 time zones away. Travel would be much easier, games won't be starting so late and we would get to see Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, etc. The SEC is a much better football conference than the ladies of the PAC 10.

Trashman
06-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
IF the Big 12 has to go, I would MUCH rather see the Texas schools go to the SEC. More traditional rivalries and not 2 time zones away. Travel would be much easier, games won't be starting so late and we would get to see Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, etc. The SEC is a much better football conference than the ladies of the PAC 10.

it's not about the fans, it's about the money. Follow the money......:devil:

bigwood33
06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I know but there really could be more money in the SEC. I read that they already have something like $17mil payouts to member schools. Adding the Texas/OK markets would only drive that number up. I would bet that it could go as high as $22mil each. I think the issue is that the academic standing of the SEC is probably the issue that would keep it from happening. If it were only athletics and money, the SEC would be a better fit. Better football, baseball, and track and field are all in the SEC.

Old Tiger
06-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
IF the Big 12 has to go, I would MUCH rather see the Texas schools go to the SEC. More traditional rivalries and not 2 time zones away. Travel would be much easier, games won't be starting so late and we would get to see Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, etc. The SEC is a much better football conference than the ladies of the PAC 10. SEC is the Worst fit for Texas and even A&M. The academic standards there are crap. If they get this pac 10 thing the you'd only have to travel far west like two games a year because you'll play the 6-7 teams in your division with 1 or 2 games against the opposite divison.

The biggest part of this move for Texas is maintaining their product and revenue.

sinton66
06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd personally rather see the Big 12 do their own television network.

IrishTex
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

That's apparant, the problem I think is there is more money to be made with joining the Pac 10 or Big 10.

Heck, I wish we could just go back to the old Southwest Conference, but the dollars out there now, makes it necessary for our schools in Texas to go after the big dollars.

It's kind of reminds me of an analogy.

Would you like a pontoon or a yacht?

(Nothing wrong with pontoons either, I wish I had one..lol)

ziggy29
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Same here, but there just aren't enough major media markets in Big 12 country. The talk has centered around a TV network that would project to generating something like $20 million a year per school. The Big 12's media markets just can't match that.

The Pac 10 has the Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles and Phoenix markets. Add that to all the major Texas media markets in addition to OKC, and I think that is the driving factor behind the discussions (that and the overtures the Big 10 is apparently making to Missouri and Nebraska). Texas is in the driver's seat here as all the three expansion-minded conferences (Pac 10, Big 10, SEC) would love to have them. But I think only the Pac 10 appears able and willing to take A&M, Tech and Oklahoma, which I think is necessary to land UT. And I think the Pac 10's academics are also a sell.

It's not so much football that's a concern; I think the "Pac 16 East" division would probably only have to travel west once a year in football. But in the other sports, if you have significant interdivisional play it could create brutal travel schedules. In terms of travel, it would be Arizona and ASU getting the worst of it.

Aesculus gilmus
06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
UPDATED:::::::::
From the Ft. Worth Star Telegram

An e-mail sent by the president of Ohio State to the commissioner of the Big Ten hints that the conference is pursuing Texas as part of its expansion plans.

Ohio State President Gordon Gee told Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany in an April 20 e-mail that Gee had spoken with University of Texas president Bill Powers.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/04/2239634/e-mail-hints-at-texas-in-big-ten.html#ixzz0pvvv0nwi

Something tells me there might be a bidding war for the teams from Texas.

No, the bidding war is for the team—singular—from Texas.

Everybody wants BAYLOR! :D j/k

IrishTex
06-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Now it appears the Big 12 is trying to apply some pressure. From the Dallas Morning News today,

Sources: Big 12 gives Nebraska two weeks to make its conference intentions known

When Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe spoke Friday at the conference spring meetings about a deadline for member schools to commit, he declined to give a date.

It's much sooner than anyone expected and targets Nebraska, one of the league's premier football schools and now a linchpin in the Big 12's hopes to remain intact.

The Cornhuskers were given a deadline to make their conference intentions known within two weeks, multiple Big 12 sources confirmed Saturday night. Nebraska, along with Missouri, has been linked to Big Ten expansion plans.

Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman was not immediately available for comment.

"I really haven't had a chance to have an in-depth discussion with Harvey [since Friday]," Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne told the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal-Star on Saturday night.

Continue reading (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/060610dnspobig12lede.75765a22.html)

IrishTex
06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Pac 10 Ready to make moves. Nebraska's decision is key

From Orangebloods.com (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091537)

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/928/876103.jpg
Tom Osborne and Nebraska have been at odds with Texas in the past. Now UT needs Nebraska to hold the B12 together.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott today recommended to his league's presidents and chancellors that the conference fire the first shot in what could end up as a "revolutionizing" step in college realignment by extending invitations to six teams from the Big 12.

The schools on the Pac-10 wish list are Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado. (Although a group of lawmakers in Texas is vowing to fight for Baylor to get that invitation instead of Colorado.)

Scott said at the league's meetings Sunday he has been given the authority to "advance" any expansion process. In other words, Scott got his six-team expansion plan approved involving the Big 12 teams and will now simply reach out to those schools on his schedule.

The Big 12 schools would play in a division with Arizona and Arizona State, while the remaining Pac-10 teams - USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State - would form the other division.

In a related development, a group of Texas lawmakers determined to keep Baylor with the other Big 12 South schools being invited are attempting to enlist the efforts of Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst.

A Big 12 athletic director told Orangebloods.com the Pac-10 has indicated it might be willing to invite Baylor instead of Colorado to avoid a political storm that could hold up the other Big 12 South schools from joining the country's first 16-team super conference.

It appears the only way Texas and the other Big 12 schools aren't headed west is if they get assurances from Nebraska in the next 10 days that the Cornhuskers are committed to staying in the Big 12.

When the Big 12 conference was formed 15 years ago, Nebraska was at odds with Texas over things like partial qualifiers. Nebraska wanted the old Big Eight schools to continue accepting an unlimited number of partial qualifiers. Texas opposed it. Texas prevailed.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne didn't like outsiders coming into his kingdom and telling him how things were going to be. Of course, that was the mid-1990s, when Nebraska was ruling college football by winning three national titles in four years (1994, 1995 and 1997).

Osborne still seems rankled by what he perceives to be a catering to Texas in the Big 12, right down to last week's decision to keep the league's football championship game in Cowboys Stadium the next three years.

Osborne was the only dissenting vote in an 11-1 tally by the conference athletic directors.

That's the same Cowboys Stadium where Texas had one second put back on the clock to kick a 46-yard field goal to beat Nebraska for the 2009 Big 12 title.

So now Nebraska finds itself 15 years removed from its dynasty, seemingly less relevant on the college football landscape, outside of last year's 10-4 run to the Big 12 North title.

But it suddenly could have the last say about if its good ol' buddy Texas gets its wish to pursue its own television network and even more power and money in the unequal-revenue-sharing Big 12. (Those who have the most television appearances get the most money in the Big 12, and the league said again last week that formula won't change.)

So we could know if the Big 12 is going to live or die in less than 10 days.

NEBRASKA'S DECISION IS THE KEY

As Orangebloods.com reported Saturday, nine schools were willing to commit to the Big 12's future last week in Kansas City, and three weren't - Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado.

Those three schools have been given a deadline of roughly June 15 to decide if they are staying in the Big 12 or willing to hold out for a possible berth to another league.

Missouri has rubbed some of its Big 12 colleagues the wrong way by appearing willing to crawl on broken glass to get to the Big Ten. The Tigers won't promise the Big 12 anything.

Colorado appears enamored with a Pac-10 invite. But CU won't get one unless Texas is with the Buffaloes.

And then there's Nebraska.

This deadline imposed by the Big 12 presidents and chancellors really pertains to Nebraska. According to sources, Nebraska has shown some willingness to reconsider what once appeared to be a pair of no-looking-back blinders toward the Big Ten.

The sense among the nine Big 12 presidents who are fighting to hold the league together is the conference could survive if Missouri left. But it couldn't survive if Mizzou and Nebraska both bolted.

That's why those schools have been put on a deadline of roughly June 15 to commit to the Big 12. That deadline coincides with a Nebraska Board of Regents meeting in Lincoln on Friday and Saturday of this week.

Make your dinner reservations at Misty's Steakhouse near the Nebraska campus now. It could be crowded as people possibly gather around to take their last look at the Big 12.

All of the nine Big 12 schools trying to hold the league together are hoping Nebraska will commit to its future. But two Big 12 officials told Orangebloods.com, there is a fear Nebraska could hold out because the Big Ten has expressed more interest recently in Nebraska than it has shown in Missouri.

Would the Big Ten be pushed into extending an invitation to Nebraska and Missouri before it wanted? Is Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany ever pushed into doing anything?

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten's plans said he's been told the Big Ten would shut down its expansion at one school if that one school was Notre Dame.

And contrary to reports, Notre Dame is still listening to the Big Ten about possibly joining that league, the athletic director said. Notre Dame's governing board is apparently split down the middle on the decision.

The AD said the Big Ten is focusing solely on Notre Dame right now before addressing Nebraska or Missouri.

The inference was clear, however: Nebraska had better be sure it has an invitation to the Big Ten by June 15 or it could risk being left out of the Big 12 and Big Ten with no power conference to land in.

PAC-10 PROPOSALS

According to multiple sources, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott will present all of his expansion scenarios to the league's presidents and chancellors Sunday, the final day of Pac-10 meetings in San Francisco.

Those proposals include doing nothing; a full-blown merger with the Big 12; an invitation to six teams in the Big 12; and an invitation to just Colorado and Utah.

The sources said Scott favors the six-team expansion plan - Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado - and will recommend it to the league's leaders.

Scott is also expected to endorse a 16-team conference network (most likely run by Fox Cable Networks, which operates the Big Ten Network) with projections of paying $20 million per school.

The network would be launched in 2012, sources said.

A Pac-10 source said Scott is aware of a pledge from some Texas lawmakers to fight for Baylor to receive an invitation over Colorado (as first reported by Orangebloods.com Saturday), but that so far Colorado remains on the proposed list of invitations.

CRYSTAL BALL

As these conversations with college officials have piled up, it's become clear that - starting with Nebraska's decision - dominoes could start falling that would lead to four super conferences.

The Pac-10/Big 12, the Big Ten, the SEC and most likely some combination of the ACC and Big East.

(And look for the SEC to reach into the ACC for Virginia Tech and Florida State if the Pac-10 pulls off its coup.)

If four superconferences emerge, you could be looking at the playoff everyone has been waiting for with the conference championship games serving as the quarterfinals.

Everything about college football's postseason as we know it would likely be revamped and revised.

The non-super conference schools would sue to get into these playoffs, but by then the NCAA might have nothing to do with supervising college football.

At that point, the four superconferences could be appointing their own governing body, creating their own rules and breaking away from the NCAA and the rest of college football.

Lawsuits would be filed by those left out, and there'd likely be government hearings into the legality of it all.

But the playoff field of 60 to 64 teams would basically be set at the beginning of every football season with the race to get to the quarterfinals (conference championship games), then the semifinals and national title game.

That's why the stakes have never been higher.

Stay tuned.

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Texas legislation is going to screw this up for the Texas schools. Pac 10 doesn't want Tech and they want Baylor instead of them. But legislation is pushing Tech, A&M, and Texas....

bwdlionfan
06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Texas legislation is going to screw this up for the Texas schools. Pac 10 doesn't want Tech and they want Baylor instead of them. But legislation is pushing Tech, A&M, and Texas....

I thought the legislation was pushing for all 4 and no colorado?

Pmoney
06-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I thought the legislation was pushing for all 4 and no colorado?
that is what they want...and Old Tiger where are you reading that the Pac-10 wants Baylor over Tech...Everything I have read is that they plan to make an offer for Tech, Texas, and A&M out of the Texas schools and not Baylor

Old Tiger
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
that is what they want...and Old Tiger where are you reading that the Pac-10 wants Baylor over Tech...Everything I have read is that they plan to make an offer for Tech, Texas, and A&M out of the Texas schools and not Baylor I can't remember where I read but the pac 10 presidents/chancellors are worried about tech/okie state's academics.

Pmoney
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I can't remember where I read but the pac 10 presidents/chancellors are worried about tech/okie state's academics.
I do believe that they are worried about the academics but I believe since Tech is working towards a Tier 1 status it won't be too much of an issue...I can't speak for Okie St because I do not know about their academics

oldtownag
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
I believe since Tech is working towards a Tier 1 status it won't be too much of an issue...

Pretty much everyone that is not tier 1 is working "toward" tier 1 status. Good luck Tech!