PDA

View Full Version : A win for all Texas Coaches?

JJWalker
06-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Judge William C. Sowder of State District Court in Lubbock, Tex., struck down Texas Tech’s claim of sovereign immunity, allowing a lawsuit by the former coach Mike Leach over his firing to go forward.

As annoyed as I think many are with Mike Leach, I personally think he did many coaches a favor by obtaining this ruling.

waterboy
06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I think it's the timing of the firing that raises the red flag. He was due an $800k bonus the next day (I think). It sounds suspicious even if he deserved being fired.........which is a whole other question.:doh:

ronwx5x
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I think it's the timing of the firing that raises the red flag. He was due an $800k bonus the next day (I think). It sounds suspicious even if he deserved being fired.........which is a whole other question.:doh:

If the administration felt they were most likely going to terminate Coach Leach, it would make sense to do so prior to the $800k being due. I seriously doubt the bonus was the prime reason for the termination, just the prime time. Coach Leach didn't make many friends among those who were making the determination as to how to handle the situation.

We certainly haven't heard much about job offers coming Leach's way. Is he done for?

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
No, just a win for a loony individual who is irrelevent.

Eagle 1
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think Leach is done, he now lives at Key West Florida.
He's probably kicked back drinking a margarita and smelling the shrimp thats beginning to boil. :)
I doubt he is thinking about football, just winning his case.
Like him or not, the man is an offensive genius.
He will be back, mark my words.

waterboy
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree. He will be back. I'm sure he's not real worried about football right now. I believe TT will have to pay him that 800K bonus eventually, one way or another....

JJWalker
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I agree. He will be back. I'm sure he's not real worried about football right now. I believe TT will have to pay him that 800K bonus eventually, one way or another....
I think the claim of underpayment is $12.5 million.

Black_Magic
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
They will now settle out of court. The fact that Tech has to go before a judge or jury will force them to settle. If they dont , they risk paying 12.5 million in damages or even more than that if you factor in attorneys fees. I bet he settles for 4 or 5 million and the University agrees just to make it go away and to save some money

slingshot
06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
They will now settle out of court. The fact that Tech has to go before a judge or jury will force them to settle. If they dont , they risk paying 12.5 million in damages or even more than that if you factor in attorneys fees. I bet he settles for 4 or 5 million and the University agrees just to make it go away and to save some money Bingo...

waterboy
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
They will now settle out of court. The fact that Tech has to go before a judge or jury will force them to settle. If they dont , they risk paying 12.5 million in damages or even more than that if you factor in attorneys fees. I bet he settles for 4 or 5 million and the University agrees just to make it go away and to save some money
That's exactly what I think will happen.... Like I said, he will get that $800K bonus one way or another....

JJWalker
06-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I do not see the sued Regents or Craig James settling. I think they ride this thing like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove.

http://collectingtokens.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb.jpg

bigwood33
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I the man is an offensive genius.

1st, we throw around the term "genius" way to often when it comes to coaching and 2nd, he isn't innovative. Certainly, if you like the run and shoot offense, is does a nice job but he is really no different than June Jones is or Mouse Davis was. Leach IS NOT an innovator, he is an adopter. He may be a little more colorful than other run and shoot guys but The University of Houston was doing the same things that Leach did at Tech before Leach was even IN college football. This isn't even a debate, there is no doubt that it is fact.

LE Dad
06-04-2010, 09:47 AM
He's probably kicked back drinking a margarita and smelling the shrimp thats beginning to boil. :)
I doubt he is thinking about football, just winning his case.
Like him or not, the man is an offensive genius.
He will be back, mark my words. I agree.

SWMustang
06-04-2010, 09:52 AM

It's good to be Mike Leach!

ronwx5x
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JJWalker
I do not see the sued Regents or Craig James settling. I think they ride this thing like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove.

http://collectingtokens.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb.jpg

The personal liability against the Tech administrtion and regents has been dismissed.

If Leach comes back, I'm thinking it will be as an NFL offensive coordinator. A university probably will not want the baggage of a looney head coach who goes out of his way to flaunt his disdain for authority. He also would get more $ as a pro assistant than any college or university would be willing to pay.

Farmersfan
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think the fact that he had a "Bonus" due the next doy is even relevent. If it were quaranteed money it would be one thing but the whole fact that it was a bonus indicates that his continued employment was a requirement for this money to be paid. If thoughts of terminating him were in place then only a moron would wait until after the bonus is paid to terminate him.

Old Tiger
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
lol @ those who think leach is a genius or will be an OC in the league.

ronwx5x
06-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
lol @ those who think leach is a genius or will be an OC in the league.

Not a genius, but he knows offense. If he wants to coach, it would more likely be as an pro OC than as a major university HC. Non-major school? Maybe, but they can't pay what he will demand.

Then the problem would be can he keep his ego under control when he's not in charge?

Old Tiger
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Not a genius, but he knows offense. If he wants to coach, it would more likely be as an pro OC than as a major university HC. Non-major school? Maybe, but they can't pay what he will demand.

Then the problem would be can he keep his ego under control when he's not in charge? He knows a gimmick offense which does not translate to the NFL. Spurrier is more of an offensive genius than Leach ever dreamed of being and Spurrier couldn't translate to the NFL. I agree About the ego part!

Black Swarm
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Someone will take Leach.
Find a school thats not winning and put Leach's offense
in. He will get the players and win somewhere.