PDA

View Full Version : Horrible call to ruin a perfect game!

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
2 outs in the 9th very blown call for the last out of the game and the umpire calls the guy safe, out by atleast a step and boy those fans are letting him hear it now...you gotta feel bad for this kid

jlwttu
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
That was a horrible call by the ump. He was clearly out.

PHS Wildcats
06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
What game?

Keith7
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Cleveland at Detroit

Galaraga used to be a Ranger prospect

jlwttu
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Detroit-Cleveland...2 outs, 9th. Jason Donald hits a grounder to the right side that the first baseman fields and throws to the pitcher covering and the ump somehow calls the batter safe when it was apparent to everyone that he was out by a step.

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, very bogus call. :mad:

Once again a MLB umpire fails this season. Why instant replay for some and not all
aspects for a game? :thinking:

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Blown Call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hskaICmUgY)

jlwttu
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Yep, very bogus call. :mad:

Once again a MLB umpire fails this season. Why instant replay for some and not all
aspects for a game? :thinking:

Ya...you just can't miss that call. I would think any close call would favor the pitcher in that situation. Despite the numerous perfect games recently, it is an incredibly rare feat. Joyce should be at least suspended if not removed from his umpire position.

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
even the batter can't believe he was called safe!!!

TexasHSFootball
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
http://web6.twitpic.com/img/109864486-943f9a792863b5846e01d2df8ac3d538.4c070598-full.jpg

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
"A number of Tigers players and coaches had to be restrained from going after Joyce on the field at Comerica Park after the game ended"

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
wow....just wow

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Dude, you gotta wonder what kind of bonus pitchers get for throwing perfect games and other feats like that...bet hes pissed

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce. "I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300602106)

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."
"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce. "I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300602106) If he was unsure he should have had a meeting with the home plate umpire to get a more precise call.

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
he could, but that would have just made it even worse. had he done that the indians coach would have been tossed out for arguing over the reversal and would have just made the whole thing worse. Should have just got it right from the get go

zebrablue2
06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
he could, but that would have just made it even worse. had he done that the indians coach would have been tossed out for arguing over the reversal and would have just made the whole thing worse. Should have just got it right from the get go

you and I have called enough games to be thinking ahead on this play. this kid has a perfect game, bang call at 1st, what would you call?? heck yes, OUT! the indians coach would say little at all, and the crowd would be treated to a perfect game( 3rd this season) which will prob. not happen now. they are so hard to do. that catch the cf made for the 1st out of the inning was something special. that was a terrible call btw. still cannot believe he made it, and i know he cannot either..

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
haha exactly, right after it happend i got a phone call from an umpire buddy of mine and he said all he could do was shake his head...how do you not go into that at bat not thinking that a banger in that situation is going to go to the defense? I know that without a doubt my first thought would be out...should have taken a second and then made the call, also they showed him watching the ball into the 2nd basemans glove the entire way then didnt get back around to make the call...nevertheless, if i were in his shoes, there is no way in hell the guy is safe

jdawg2012
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Blown Call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hskaICmUgY)

I watched the video and if I were Jim Leyland I might have hit somebody. I actually felt a bit of rage just watching the video.

Emerson1
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Makes it even worse that he started to call him out and switched it.

That would have been what, 3 perfect games this season already?

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Makes it even worse that he started to call him out and switched it.

That would have been what, 3 perfect games this season already? in a months span according to ESPN

Yoe_09
06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
2 outs in the 9th very blown call for the last out of the game and the umpire calls the guy safe, out by atleast a step and boy those fans are letting him hear it now...you gotta feel bad for this kid

yeah....It seems like this year the calls have just been horrid. He was about to call him out and then I guess got caught up in the moment and called him safe.

coach
06-03-2010, 12:02 AM
i actually feel for the umpire

Yoe_09
06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by coach
i actually feel for the umpire

Yeah, after seeing what he had to say on ESPN it sounded sincere. He knew he screwed it up for him and felt bad.

Spread It Out
06-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Fire his ass

Footballhudini
06-03-2010, 05:15 AM
probably won't see another perfect game for a few years

3afan
06-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
If he was unsure he should have had a meeting with the home plate umpire to get a more precise call.

no - you make the call

CenTexSports
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
I hate instant replay but I kind of blame the crew chief. Policy or not, I would hve gone to the instant replay and verified the call. If the call was right, the crew chief gets his ass in a sling but if the call was wrong, he is a hero.

I think now that Selig should over rule the call and give the pitcher the first 28 out perfect game.

JasperDog94
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I think now that Selig should over rule the call and give the pitcher the first 28 out perfect game. :iagree:

kaorder1999
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
if its even close I say you call him out knowing its a perfect game and deal with the team being called out being pised off instead of the whole country!

crzyjournalist03
06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Heard Harold Reynolds on MLB Network bring up an excellent point on instant replay that I'd never considered. His suggestion was to have an off-the-field official who watches replays and can immediately buzz down into a crew chief's earpiece to let them know if the call was correct.

On controversial plays, there's almost always an argument on the field, which would allow plenty of time for the press box official to see the play and relay the call down to the umpires without them having to leave the field for extended periods of time.

And if there's not enough evidence within the first couple of replays that are shown to overturn the call before play on the field is ready to resume again, you leave it as called.

Eagle 1
06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
At least the umpire was man enough to admit he screwed up and felt bad for the pitcher.:clap:
There are some people in this world who would never swallow their pride and admit they were wrong.

goosealaniz
06-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
probably won't see another perfect game for a few years

not at the rate they are throwing them nowadays... there will prolly be one in 4 days....

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
This might affect mankind for ions. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VnPdn3PMuU&feature=player_embedded)

Maroon87
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I hate instant replay but I kind of blame the crew chief. Policy or not, I would hve gone to the instant replay and verified the call. If the call was right, the crew chief gets his ass in a sling but if the call was wrong, he is a hero.

I think now that Selig should over rule the call and give the pitcher the first 28 out perfect game.

And while we're at it, let's go ahead and strip the KC Royals of the 1985 WS title since St. Louis got hosed by the exact same blown call in Game 6 of that series.

Not trying to be difficult, but that would open Pandora's Box.

CenTexSports
06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I know the problems this could raise but this is a one of a kind situation. The last out in the last inning of a perfect game during the regular season. It would have to be none precedence setting and all kinds of (*'s) associated with the ruling.

BTW: I lived in KC when that other call happened and it is too late to change it.

Farmersfan
06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
And while we're at it, let's go ahead and strip the KC Royals of the 1985 WS title since St. Louis got hosed by the exact same blown call in Game 6 of that series.

Not trying to be difficult, but that would open Pandora's Box.

My thoughts exactly! Nobody is talking about the dozen or more horrible stike/ball calls that are made by the home plate ump every single game! I didn't watch this game but I guarantee you the home plate ump gave the pitcher some VERY questionable strikes or he wouldn't have ever been in a perfect game situation to start with!!!! If we are going to allow umps or refs to use their judgement instead of expecting them to call it correctly ALL THE TIME then we must live with this.

3afan
06-03-2010, 11:18 AM

with the current rules they could not have gone to replay on this call ...

waterboy
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it's time for instant replay in baseball. Have a guy in a booth somewhere reviewing plays. If after reviewing the play in a timely way and a mistake is made, radio down to the crew chief to stop play and correct the call. No replay on balls and strikes, though! The only time there would be a stoppage in play would be when an incorrect call was made. By the same token, I've seen quite a few missed calls at first base this year. I've also seen a home run that was called a double and didn't get reviewed when it should have, and a foul ball that was called a homer on the field and was reviewed and reversed. As long as it doesn't stop play I don't see a problem with instant replay. We definitely don't need any long reviews that cause play stoppage....

BaseballUmp
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I can understand the need for replay, but by putting a little earpiece in the crew chiefs ear then overturning a call he or another of his partners made then trying to defend yourself against a coach that most assuredly is going to come out and argue based on something you had no ability to look at yourself and you only have to take the word of the person upstairs...it just puts him in a bad situation to me thats all. I say just show the play on the jumbotron 1 time after the play. If the umpire sees he missed it thats the replay and they can change it, but there has to be strict guidelines as to what can be changed. Basically you would be rewriting the rules of baseball...I'm more of a purest i guess you could say, so I would be slow to accept some of this change

Old Tiger
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Baseball people complain about their sport and their stats yet they don't want to do anything to improve the game itself.

waterboy
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
The thing that gets me is most baseball officials will not admit that they made a mistake even when it's obvious they did. For the most part they do an excellent job and get the call right probably 95+% of the time, but they are human and do make mistakes. If the manager of the other team does not believe a play should be overruled let him view the evidence on a monitor that should be in each of the dugouts when instant replay is implemented. That should cut out a lot of the arguing calls on the field and would take out the question marks that can arise after the fact. The main thing is getting the call RIGHT, in my opinion!

eagles_victory
06-03-2010, 12:49 PM
As bad as it was human error is part of the game. Was this call horrible? Yes and I was MAD about it when I saw it (also a blown call cost the Twins a game last night) There is no need for anymore replay in regular season games the game is already slow enough as it is and the replay for the homerun is enough. I can see where the MLB stands on this as a boss or manager at any level any job you can't stand over your guys shoulders and correct every mistake they make you have to train your umps correctly set them up to be successful like any other job and hope they get it right.

As far as the MLB reviewing it they shouldn't that would set a bad precedent in my opinion. Noone was yelling review Halladays perfect game when he rang 3 guys up on balls 6 inches outside.

Phil C
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
It was just bad all around. The replay should have been checked because of how important it was if it was allowed. There is enough blame to go around. For example the first base umpire if he thought it was wrong could have overruled him and done everyone a favor. Also the runner that was called safe looked surprise. He could have approached him and done the right thing and told him he felt he was really out but this is baseball not Mutual Beneficial.

coach
06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
did anybody see the play that the center fielder made in the ninth to save the perfect game?

IrishTex
06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
My opinion is that this will drive even more fans away from the Great Game.

In this day and age, people want perfection, even in sports.

People work hard, try to buy nice things, and when they go to the ball park, they expect the perfect team, a team that wins, and if a pitcher has a perfect game going, they (we) all feel as if they are entitled to perfection.

That's why football (NFL) is different and more appealing because instant replay is more accepted and takes less time to arrive at a decision.

I think whether baseball should award the pitcher a perfect game or not is ridiculous. The players make errors. Humans make errors....and believe it or not, so do umpires.

eagles_victory
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by coach
did anybody see the play that the center fielder made in the ninth to save the perfect game? Yanks may have made a huge mistake trading that kid.

crzyjournalist03
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Yanks may have made a huge mistake trading that kid.

Not really...they got Curtis Granderson in return. And if they decide in 5 or 6 years (depending on Jackson's service time) that they'd rather have Jackson instead, they'll go get him again.

eagles_victory
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Not really...they got Curtis Granderson in return. And if they decide in 5 or 6 years (depending on Jackson's service time) that they'd rather have Jackson instead, they'll go get him again. Granderson is good but Jackson fits much more of what the Yanks need.

DUKE22
06-04-2010, 06:24 AM
The moment at yesterdays game with Jim J behind the plate was awesome. The way that the parties involved handled this was about as classy as I ever seen. I will remember the class shown by these two probably more than I would have the perfect game. BTW I saw the story of Harvey Haddix today on sportscenter. Dude had a perfect game through twelve innings in 1959 and lost the game in the 13th. That would be a tough pill to swallow.

Farmersfan
06-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

As far as the MLB reviewing it they shouldn't that would set a bad precedent in my opinion. Noone was yelling review Halladays perfect game when he rang 3 guys up on balls 6 inches outside.

Exactly!
With laser technology where it is today they could easily set up a strike zone grid that will show a red light or green light on a display depending on where the ball crosses the plate. The strike zone is already DECIDED by MLB. Yet every game it's different based on which ump is in charge. Ridiculous!

bwdlionfan
06-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Exactly!
With laser technology where it is today they could easily set up a strike zone grid that will show a red light or green light on a display depending on where the ball crosses the plate. The strike zone is already DECIDED by MLB. Yet every game it's different based on which ump is in charge. Ridiculous!

Completely agree here on the strike zone. Fox Sports shows a pitch tracker of some sorts during Ranger games and it's unbelievable how many calls are missed by umps.

eagleqb_14
06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
:(

BaseballUmp
06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Exactly!

Hell why not just take all the umpires out of the game and just have computers call the strikes and outs...

Old Tiger
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Hell why not just take all the umpires out of the game and just have computers call the strikes and outs... You're finally learning lol

BaseballUmp
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Ridiculous

bwdlionfan
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Ridiculous

I think Umps should be left for calling runners safe/out, but replay should be available, perhaps have replay only possible through booth reviews so that managers aren't requesting reviews twice an inning and making games an hour or two longer.

I do think balls/strikes should be called by laser/computer.

BaseballUmp
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
No one will ever throw a perfect game again then and what does the home plate umpire do then? Just chill on the side until there is a play at the plate?

Emerson1
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I wonder if there were any plays that went in the pitchers favor earlier in the game?

JasonTX
06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Completely agree here on the strike zone. Fox Sports shows a pitch tracker of some sorts during Ranger games and it's unbelievable how many calls are missed by umps.

Considering the pitches are 90 mph or higher, I am much more amazed at how many they do get right. I've never umpired baseball, but just thinking here, you have to see not only the plate but also the height of the ball. Was it outside, too low, too high. All that has to be seen in the blink of an eye. Then if there is some quirky rule involved you have to throw that into the equation. I've never see any official at any sport get everything right so misses are to be expected.

Farmersfan
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Hell why not just take all the umpires out of the game and just have computers call the strikes and outs...

At least the games will be decided by the players rather than by a middle aged ego maniac who thinks he has so much power that his word is law!!!!!

Farmersfan
06-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
Considering the pitches are 90 mph or higher, I am much more amazed at how many they do get right. I've never umpired baseball, but just thinking here, you have to see not only the plate but also the height of the ball. Was it outside, too low, too high. All that has to be seen in the blink of an eye. Then if there is some quirky rule involved you have to throw that into the equation. I've never see any official at any sport get everything right so misses are to be expected.

They are to be expected but the point is they don't have to be accepted!!!!

BaseballUmp
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
How about in every other sport there are no officials in those either...no refs on the football field just a horn and a message on the jumbotron to display what happened...no refs on the court same deal here...thats where things are heading if all goes your way...

JasonTX
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM

If you don't accept something what would you do to fix it. Do you currently officiate any sport? Right now is your chance to be of some solution.

zebrablue2
06-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I think Umps should be left for calling runners safe/out, but replay should be available, perhaps have replay only possible through booth reviews so that managers aren't requesting reviews twice an inning and making games an hour or two longer.

I do think balls/strikes should be called by laser/computer.

oh no, the laser is 3 inches off tonight, what to do?? kick the darn thing. oh no, now its 6 inchs off the plate.. oh no, there is a glitch, its down. lets bring in a new one. set an hour later.. this one is off by an inch, what to do?? get the message! it will never be perfect.. sit back and enjoy!! I would like to see each mgr. with one challenge per game on judgement such as the call at 1st the other night. look at it twice, and if you cannot tell, let er ride:D

bwdlionfan
06-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
oh no, the laser is 3 inches off tonight, what to do?? kick the darn thing. oh no, now its 6 inchs off the plate.. oh no, there is a glitch, its down. lets bring in a new one. set an hour later.. this one is off by an inch, what to do?? get the message! it will never be perfect.. sit back and enjoy!! I would like to see each mgr. with one challenge per game on judgement such as the call at 1st the other night. look at it twice, and if you cannot tell, let er ride:D

If you're going to argue, at least know what you're arguing.... a laser isn't even used in the process of tracking the pitches.... it's two cameras. (I'll admit I said laser earlier in a reply to someone else who had said laser)

If one gets off by a few inches, you simply recalibrate... it'd take a matter of minutes to ensure 100% accurate calls... well worth it. Get the message?

I can see why someone who is technologically challenged would be opposed to the idea.