PDA

View Full Version : Wow Caldwell wow

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/95460949.html

It's been the talk in Burleson County for weeks: a high school party busted by authorities for underage drinking. Now the parent the Burleson County Sheriff's Office believes hosted the party, has been arrested.

42-year-old Gertrude Stifflemire was booked in and released from the Burleson County jail over the weekend. She was charged with one count of furnishing alcohol to a minor. The charges stem from a birthday party the sheriff's office said Stifflemire hosted for her daughter following the Caldwell High School prom.

Stroud said deputies found out about the party around 2 a.m. May 9th, when they pulled over a car with an underage intoxicated passenger. According to Stroud, the passenger told deputies he'd been drinking at a home off C.R. 132.

The Sheriff's office said deputies ended the party, but because of an overload of calls to the sheriff's office that night, no one was charged on scene. Around 10 days later, deputies showed up at Caldwell High and issued 42 students minor in possession citations.

County Attorney Joey Skrivanek said the ordeal has been a difficult education for kids and their parents but a necessary one because of several recent alcohol related deaths.

"Were they disappointed in their kids? I'm sure some some were. The trust that some of them had in their kids, is that messed up a little? Probably was. Is it gonna be a little hard for some of those kids to build that back up? Yes, but at least these kids are still alive," said Skrivanek.

Minor in possession is a class C misdemeanor, the same level of offense as a speeding ticket. Skrivanek said students who are first-time offenders will likely have the option of taking deferred adjudication.

Although Stifflemire is charged with furnishing alcohol, TABC agent Randy Field said the charge doesn't necessarily mean she purchased it or handed it out. Field said someone who is criminally negligent in making alcohol available to minors would also be charged with the same thing.

Furnishing alcohol to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $4,000 fine, a year in the county jail, or both.

According to the Caldwell I.S.D. handbook, as long as a student didn't consume alcohol at a school event or on school property, there will be no punishment from the district.

BaseballUmp
06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
snitches...hahaha

buff4life
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
sounds like something similar the Lee County Sheriff's Department did to some kids...

Some people get too much power behind a little authority and worry about kids spending the night drinking somewhere responsibly (maybe not in this instance but maybe so) instead of more serious crimes being committed...

LH Panther Mom
06-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
sounds like something similar the Lee County Sheriff's Department did to some kids...

Some people get too much power behind a little authority and worry about kids spending the night drinking somewhere responsibly (maybe not in this instance but maybe so) instead of more serious crimes being committed...
What makes it more serious? Does someone have to die before it's "serious"? :thinking:

ronwx5x
06-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Underage drinking is very serious. Adults being present does not make it ok. If it's so innocent, why did the authorities find it necessary to stop a car of teenagers who had been drinking? They may have avoided a tragedy!

garciap77
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Drinking and driving is a serious crime!

navscanmaster
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
My experience is that people who don't like authority figures are always trying to accuse them of abusing it. If it is against the law and you get caught, don't cry about the cop enforcing it. You can't pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I think buff4life is talking about people hosting a drinking party and making all the kids stay the night and not leaving in his particular case.

Emerson1
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
They deserve to be arrested for not being smart enough to make sure people don't leave.

Pick6
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They deserve to be arrested for not being smart enough to make sure people don't leave.

I think giving alcohol to minors is reason enough to be arrested.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I think buff4life is talking about people hosting a drinking party and making all the kids stay the night and not leaving in his particular case.
I pity the parent/adult that "decides" it is perfectly okay for them to decide MY child is allowed to drink!!!!!! :foul: :foul:

NateDawg39
06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I think every child should drink on a regular basis......

BaseballUmp
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Haha really now...everychild, from what age?

NateDawg39
06-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Haha really now...everychild, from what age? 13 and up....

BaseballUmp
06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
not sure I agree with that...i didnt have a full drink until I was a senior and it did me just fine lol

NateDawg39
06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
not sure I agree with that...i didnt have a full drink until I was a senior and it did me just fine lol lol I was joking bud ;)

BaseballUmp
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
haha and I say this as I finish another one lol

NateDawg39
06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
haha and I say this as I finish another one lol BAD INFLUENCE

BaseballUmp
06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
"I'm old enough to know better, but I'm still too young to care" lol

BaseballUmp
06-05-2010, 10:40 PM
But on a serious note, kids will be kids and they will go to after prom parties knowing fully that there will be alcohol there and I believe that it is up to them and whoever is hosting it to ensure the safety of all those attending...if its a parent they should let it be known that they are definitely staying the night and that if they do leave that parents will be called...thats what always happened with me so that the parents will know what is going on. If they let them go to the party they pretty much know whats going to go on and if they do not take precautions to prevent anything from happening then they are just as much to blame as the ones hosting...around my neck of the woods if you try to leave you may get your arse beat lol

Emerson1
06-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I pity the parent/adult that "decides" it is perfectly okay for them to decide MY child is allowed to drink!!!!!! :foul: :foul:
Well those parents should have raised them better.

IrishTex
06-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Just for the record:

Traffic crashes, many of which involve alcohol and other drugs, are a leading cause of death and serious injury for youth 15 to 19 years of age. Communities around the state are often faced with these tragedies, and many Texas high schools are turning to Shattered Dreams, a youth–led community collaborative program, to prevent more fatalities.

Shattered Dreams is not owned and was not created by TABC; however we do provide support for the program. Each year, TABC offers Texas high schools mini-grants to help pay some of the cost associated with hosting a Shattered Dreams program. Also, TABC agents are actively involved in Shattered Dreams programs and offer expertise in alcoholic beverage laws and assist with the on-site crash scene, retreat and parent education workshops.

Source: Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/grants/shattered_dreams.asp)

IrishTex
06-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Underage Drinking Laws
Minors who purchase, attempt to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages, as well as minors who are intoxicated in public or misrepresent their age to obtain alcoholic beverages, face the following consequences:

•Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500
•Alcohol awareness class
•8 to 40 hours community service
•30 to 180 days loss or denial of driver's license
If a minor is seventeen years of age or older and the violation is the third offense, the offense is punishable by a fine of $250 to $2,000, confinement in jail for up to 180 days or both, as well as automatic driver's license suspension.

A minor with previous alcohol-related convictions will have his or her driver's license suspended for one year if the minor does not attend alcohol awareness training that has been required by the judge.

Penalties for Providing Alcohol to a Minor
Adults and minors who give alcohol to a minor also face a stiff penalty. The punishment for making alcoholic beverages available to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement in jail for up to a year, or both. Additionally, the violator will have his or her driver's license automatically suspended for 180 days upon conviction.

Persons 21 or older (other than the parent or guardian) can be held liable for damages caused by intoxication of a minor under 18 if the adult knowingly provided alcoholic beverages to a minor or knowingly allowed the minor to be served or provided alcoholic beverages on the premises owned or leased by the adult.

Sale to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement up to a year in jail, or both.

Zero Tolerance Law
While it is illegal to drive while intoxicated, it is also illegal for a minor to drive while having ANY detectable amount of alcohol in the minor's system.

1.The consequences for the minor on the first offense of driving under the influence of alcohol:
◦Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500
◦Attendance at an alcohol awareness class
◦20 to 40 hours of mandatory community service
◦60 days driver´s license suspension. The minor would not be eligible for an occupational license for the first 30 days.
2.A second offense increases the consequences to:
◦Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500
◦Attendance at an alcohol awareness class at the judge's discretion
◦40 to 60 hours of mandatory community service
◦120 days driver's license suspension. The minor would not be eligible for an occupational license for the first 90 days.
3.A third offense is not eligible for deferred adjudication. The minor's driver's license is suspended for 180 days and an occupational license may not be obtained for the entire suspension period. If the minor is 17 years of age or older, the fine increases to $500 to $2,000, confinement in jail for up to 180 days, or both.

All documents on 2young2drink.com are copyright protected and the property of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. Any attempts to alter, edit or amend downloadable materials or forms are strictly prohibited.

Source (http://www.2young2drink.com/resources.asp)

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I pity the parent/adult that "decides" it is perfectly okay for them to decide MY child is allowed to drink!!!!!! :foul: :foul: Just because a parent is hosting a party where for their kid where kids will be drinking doesn't mean they are forcing drinks to them. Its up to your kid to make the decision on if they would like to drink or not.

sinton66
06-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Just because a parent is hosting a party where for their kid where kids will be drinking doesn't mean they are forcing drinks to them. Its up to your kid to make the decision on if they would like to drink or not.

No matter how you try to excuse it, the legal fact is any adult present at this party is automatically chargeable with at least contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If one or more of these adults PURCHASED the alcohol they face even more serious charges.

The law is the law. Either one observes the law or they don't. If they break the law, they gotta pay the price. The most apt saying was coined by TV's Baretta series, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

Even if they somehow escape legal charges, LHPM or any other parent would be well within their rights to file a civil action suit against the adults.

CHS_CG
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Knowing some of the kids that were there and how their parents are.. I will pass on commenting....

IrishTex
06-06-2010, 12:26 PM
At one time, I contracted with the TABC to do the 4 hour class presentations for employees at restaurants and clubs so thay could become TABC certified. Did the 4 hour program and then tested the associates to enforce the state certification for sellers and servers of alcoholic beverages in Texas.

One of the most amazing things that I learned from the TABC is, if you are a bartender, and you over-serve a patron, and they leave your bar and are involved in a wreck, YOU CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!

If you have a company party, and one of your people leaves the party and is involved in an accident, YOU CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. That's why company parties usually don't furnish alcohol anymore.

In a landmark case that the TABC commonly refers is Bryan Poole VS El Chico Corporation (http://txtrial.com/Riley%20Law%20Firm/Cases/el%20chico.htm) in the Texas Supreme Court, quantifies that servers and sellers are responsible for patrons, and great care should be taken to not over-serve thier patrons.

The TABC looks at over-serving a patron or providing minors as if someone taking a sack full of rattlesnakes to the mall and turning them loose. It's called CRIMINAL NEGLEGENCE...and people should know better than to over-serve a patron, or serve kids under 21 alcohol of any kind!

We haven't even got into the minors yet.

sinton66
06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
At one time, I contracted with the TABC to do the 4 hour class presentations for employees at restaurants and clubs so thay could become TABC certified. Did the 4 hour program and then tested the associates to enforce the state certification for sellers and servers of alcoholic beverages in Texas.

One of the most amazing things that I learned from the TABC is, if you are a bartender, and you over-serve a patron, and they leave your bar and are involved in a wreck, YOU CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!

If you have a company party, and one of your people leaves the party and is involved in an accident, YOU CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. That's why company parties usually don't furnish alcohol anymore.

In a landmark case that the TABC commonly refers is Bryan Poole VS El Chico Corporation (http://txtrial.com/Riley%20Law%20Firm/Cases/el%20chico.htm) in the Texas Supreme Court, quantifies that servers and sellers are responsible for patrons, and great care should be taken to not over-serve thier patrons.

The TABC looks at over-serving a patron or providing minors as if someone taking a sack full of rattlesnakes to the mall and turning them loose. It's called CRIMINAL NEGLEGENCE...and people should know better than to over-serve a patron, or serve kids under 21 alcohol of any kind!

We haven't even got into the minors yet.

The law also applies to wedding receptions and such.

Old Tiger
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
MIP is a stupid ticket and kids don't take them serious.

sinton66
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
MIP is a stupid ticket and kids don't take them serious.

They might if more of them got thrown in the drunk tank overnight and their parents had to pay good money to get them out.

CHS_CG
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
They might if more of them got thrown in the drunk tank overnight and their parents had to pay good money to get them out.

I personally thing every kid who is caught drinking underage should be taken to JDC rather than getting a ticket.....

NateDawg39
06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I personally thing every kid who is caught drinking underage should be taken to JDC rather than getting a ticket..... The streets would be a lot less crowded :D

bobcat4life
06-07-2010, 02:21 AM
I dont have a problem with underage drinking as long as it is done responsibly (no driving or being out in public).

Man if I followed my actual opinion on this it would be better. I drove home from a party last night after having a few

LH Panther Mom
06-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I drove home from a party last night after having a few
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BaseballUmp
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I dont have a problem with underage drinking as long as it is done responsibly (no driving or being out in public).

Man if I followed my actual opinion on this it would be better. I drove home from a party last night after having a few
All it takes is one time and you will learn...trust me

zebrablue2
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
All it takes is one time and you will learn...trust me

sadly for some, once maybe and has been too late to learn.