PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Jasper

Airforce1
06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
My son and his wife are moving there and he has two kids. What kind of town is it? His kids will be in 7th grade and 5th grade. Is there school and athletic program good? Any info will be appreciated.

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper,_Texas

:)

Rabid Cougar
06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Lots of Trees and 2 HUGE lakes.

JasperDog94
06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Jasper has had a lot of success lately in baseball. So if your kids are into baseball then they are in luck. The football team is on again/off again. It's hard to tell from year to year how they will do. A few short years ago they were playing Gilmer for the state championship and lost 49-47. A few years later they didn't make the playoffs. So it's kind of hit/miss.

My mother is on the school board so if you have any questions about the schools I would be happy to get any info that you would like. The band program is pretty good, but I admit that I am somewhat biased. ;)

Just like most smaller towns, not much changes in Jasper. If they like it once they get settled then they are in luck. If they don't, then I hope they don't wait for anything to change.

If your son likes to fish then he couldn't move to a much better location. Sam Rayburn is one of the best fisheries in the nation. Toledo Bend is a huge reservoir that has a ton of fish as well.

jdawg2012
06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Jasper has had a lot of success lately in baseball. So if your kids are into baseball then they are in luck. The football team is on again/off again. It's hard to tell from year to year how they will do. A few short years ago they were playing Gilmer for the state championship and lost 49-47. A few years later they didn't make the playoffs. So it's kind of hit/miss.

My mother is on the school board so if you have any questions about the schools I would be happy to get any info that you would like. The band program is pretty good, but I admit that I am somewhat biased. ;)

Just like most smaller towns, not much changes in Jasper. If they like it once they get settled then they are in luck. If they don't, then I hope they don't wait for anything to change.

If your son likes to fish then he couldn't move to a much better location. Sam Rayburn is one of the best fisheries in the nation. Toledo Bend is a huge reservoir that has a ton of fish as well.

You summed it up pretty good there. Except for one thing: the band. It failing fast. They are down to less than 45 kids.

JasperDog94
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jdawg2012
You summed it up pretty good there. Except for one thing: the band. It failing fast. They are down to less than 45 kids. Really?:(

coach
06-02-2010, 05:06 PM
just dont walk around the streets by yourself at night...in the past bad things have happened

Old Cardinal
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Jasper is really not one town it is a collection of diverse cultural communities.

Folks living around the two lakes moved there with their Petro-chemical IRA retirements; are really living the "good life".

Likewise, the industry(paper mills etc:) have closed and there is quite a bit of poverty and crime in the town proper.

It's a good place to move: there is little pollution and great lake fishing and scenery to enjoy but---DON'T COME UNLESS YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN MONEY WITH YOU.

New jobs and viable commerce growth are not that strong at this time. Jasper like most of the USA are too plagued by Obummer Syndrome; of squandered taxpayer money and actions that are shutting down economic growth.

jdawg2012
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Really?:(

Yeah. They had like 15 quit this past year alone. It's the directors. They treat the kids like crap. Always yelling at them.

j_dog
06-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Jasper is pretty much what you make it, just like anywhere else. Mostly, it is full of very good people. Naturally, there may be a few bad apples, just like everywhere else.

Outdoor Magazine did pick the Jasper area as one of the top 20 outdoor recreation areas in the nation some years back. There is most anything outdoors one might want to do except snow ski.

As for sports, Jasper does have one of the top 3a baseball programs in Texas. In 2007 they won state, and have made the playoffs some 16 or so years in a row. They are currently playing in the Region III finals.

WOS87
06-04-2010, 05:24 AM
...and expect to keep losing to WO-S in football as they generally do, with a few exceptions every once in a while. We get along though.

:D :D

JasperDog94
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
...and expect to keep losing to WO-S in football as they generally do, with a few exceptions every once in a while. We get along though.

:D :D WOS definitely owned Jasper for awhile, but Jasper started holding their own for awhile as well. The revolving door of coaches has certainly not helped matters in recent years. We're comin' for ya this year!!!:D

ronwx5x
06-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Went to Jasper to see Gilmer play them in the playoffs. That stadium is a throwback, but sort of neat. Parking is not fun since there is no parking lot that I could find. It's park on the street or nothing. The residents have to love home games!;)

j_dog
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM

true, but here's a stat for ya to check out!
Who was the first 4a team for WO-S to lose to when they dropped to 4a? And who was the first 3a team for WO-S to lose to when they dropped to 3a?

true, just a couple of those exceptions. ;)

j_dog
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Went to Jasper to see Gilmer play them in the playoffs. That stadium is a throwback, but sort of neat. Parking is not fun since there is no parking lot that I could find. It's park on the street or nothing. The residents have to love home games!;)
I think that game was played at SFA! :D

ronwx5x
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I think that game was played at SFA! :D

You're correct. It was the regular season game. Saw too many games to remember!

Hupernikomen
06-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Did they play this past year?

WOS87
06-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

yep... but I believe we still have an 11 game lead in the all-time series 17-6

:D

5-1 in the playoffs where it actually counts!

:D :D :D

jdawg2012
06-05-2010, 10:37 PM

33-13 Jasper

WOS87
06-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by jdawg2012
33-13 Jasper

ummm NO!

23-13

Click Here --->LINK (http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x20307407/Jasper-upsets-No-3-WO-S-23-13)

It is interesting that none of OUR wins over Jasper have been considered upsets since the 1986 4A Quarterfinals... they were just expected... Jasper beat a #1 team in 2004 and a #3 team in 2009.. props to the Bulldogs for that...

I am a Jasper Bulldog fan (as long as we're not going head-to-head), have much love and respect for my Bulldog friends and openly admit that over the years you've been the biggest competitor we've had in the area since dropping to 4A! ...MUCH MUCH more than those tigers to the south of you! :);)

This Fall should be interesting and I can't wait! Good Luck to both teams!

jdawg2012
06-06-2010, 01:51 AM
ummm NO!

23-13

Click Here --->LINK (http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x20307407/Jasper-upsets-No-3-WO-S-23-13)

It is interesting that none of OUR wins over Jasper have been considered upsets since the 1986 4A Quarterfinals... they were just expected... Jasper beat a #1 team in 2004 and a #3 team in 2009.. props to the Bulldogs for that...

I am a Jasper Bulldog fan (as long as we're not going head-to-head), have much love and respect for my Bulldog friends and openly admit that over the years you've been the biggest competitor we've had in the area since dropping to 4A! ...MUCH MUCH more than those tigers to the south of you! :);)

ight, dang, chill. it was just a typo. even you should know the 2 and the 3 are right next to each other. dang, talk about spazing!:thinking:

Hupernikomen
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
ummm NO!

23-13

This fall the Dogs will be in a major rebuild mode. Doubt we will have anything for WO-S.

jdawg2012
06-07-2010, 03:24 AM
This fall the Dogs will be in a major rebuild mode. Doubt we will have anything for WO-S.

I doubt it. We got one more year before that. And as far as I know, we're not even sure if we're gonna play WO-S. Hope we do though! I work the chains at the Jasper games and watching Coach Hooks squirm when Jasper beats him is awesome! :D

(Also I would like to say that I have NEVER been biased when it comes to the actual chain work, in my mind I want to, but I NEVER do.)