PDA

View Full Version : Heart murmurs

bobcat4life
06-01-2010, 10:02 PM
how bad is it to play football with a heart murmur? I have a slight one so I wanted to know

SWMustang
06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Seems pretty safe to me.

Isn't this the doctor's call?

orange machine
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
how bad is it to play football with a heart murmur? I have a slight one so I wanted to know

You will be fine, most people have heart murmurs and dont even no about it.

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I imagine this would be the same for adults

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/heart_murmurs

poisoned10
06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
When I got my physical before I could play sports in high school, the dr. found I had a heart murmur.

I was scared at first but later found it was a VERY common thing. I went on to play 4 years of basketball, baseball and 1 year of football and continue to stay very active and haven't had any problems.

Like someone already said, most people have them and never even know about it.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a small murmur and an irregular heartbeat, and there were no issues at all with me doing anything: football, track, powerlifting,etc.

That being said, go to a doctor and make sure everything is kosher with them, if only for peace of mind. I ended up going to a cardiologist because it freaked my parents out (they wouldnt let me give blood at school because i was less than an hour from doing athletics and my heart was going haywire trying to regulate itself), did all the tests, etc, just to come to the conclusion I was normal. It goes a long way in easing you and your family's mind though. Again, at the very least, get your doctor's sign off on this.