PDA

View Full Version : Felix or Marion?

IrishTex
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Freefreq/Dallas_Cowboys/Felix_Jones/images/Felix-Jones.gif

Who starts?

Lots of discussion this off-season about who should start for the Cowboys.

Barber is at OTA's looking thinner and quicker...but can he beat out Jones? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndsUZ6guWM)

From PFT:

Cowboys running back Marion Barber is in danger of losing his starting job. In fact, there are indications that he's already lost it.

Barber, though, is taking steps to retain his spot atop the depth chart, or at least to stay heavily involved in Dallas' offense, by shedding ten pounds.

"He's leaner and looks quicker than he's been," observed running backs coach Skip Peete. "It's noticeable. I'm excited to see what he does when we get to camp."

Barber typically plays in the 222-225 pound range, so it's believed he's down to around 212-215. Peete's comments mesh with those of owner Jerry Jones, who last week said Barber "looks quicker" and "is just in great shape."

Barber has seemed a step slower over the last two seasons while battling injuries and averaging 4.01 yards per carry. He averaged 4.81 per attempt between 2006 and 2007.

We're skeptical that Barber will regain his explosiveness. Running backs rarely recapture the burst in their legs once it's gone. Just shy of 27, Barber does have age on his side, and it sounds like the weight loss has helped.

crzyjournalist03
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Doesn't matter in my opinion. Both are going to be needed, and their carry numbers should be fairly close. What really matters is the situation in which each of them will be used.

Old Tiger
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
A choice/jones tandem in the first 3 quarters then a dose of mbIII in the 4th quarter should do.

TheDOCTORdre
06-01-2010, 04:13 PM
could we just get them to be healthy all season. I would be satisfied with just that, but in all reality MBIII was most effective when he came in behind Julius Jones, so I would like to see him demoted from the starter which would be better for all involved

Farmersfan
06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
could we just get them to be healthy all season. I would be satisfied with just that, but in all reality MBIII was most effective when he came in behind Julius Jones, so I would like to see him demoted from the starter which would be better for all involved

I would agree with this 100%. Marion was more effective getting the bulk of his carries late in the game. Does anyone share my fear that if demoted Marion will be a locker room nightmare????

IrishTex
06-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I would agree with this 100%. Marion was more effective getting the bulk of his carries late in the game. Does anyone share my fear that if demoted Marion will be a locker room nightmare????

IMO if Barber were to be "demoted" it would just fire him up even more. Let me also add with a stable of 3 quality backs on the Cowboys, no one back is really "demoted."

Lucky2Coach
06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I like having both of them. I think T. Choice could be a really good back, and he has trade value.

Farmersfan
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
IMO if Barber were to be "demoted" it would just fire him up even more. Let me also add with a stable of 3 quality backs on the Cowboys, no one back is really "demoted."

I hope you are right. 3 good backs could be a great boon for the 'boys if used correctly. If not used correctly it could easily become a locker room divider. They need to cut people like Crayton right away to stop any dissenting opinions in the locker room...... Wasn't Crayton one of the players who spoke out in favor of Owens?

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I would agree with this 100%. Marion was more effective getting the bulk of his carries late in the game. Does anyone share my fear that if demoted Marion will be a locker room nightmare???? IMO barber needs to be demoted and he's overrated.

Only twice has he rushed for 10+ touchdowns and he NEVER has rushed for 1,000 yards.

IrishTex
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I hope you are right. 3 good backs could be a great boon for the 'boys if used correctly. If not used correctly it could easily become a locker room divider. They need to cut people like Crayton right away to stop any dissenting opinions in the locker room...... Wasn't Crayton one of the players who spoke out in favor of Owens?

You are correct. (http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Crayton-Fans-Media-Got-Wrong-Impression-of-Owens-85974467.html)

Good call.

eagles_victory
06-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
IMO barber needs to be demoted and he's overrated.

Only twice has he rushed for 10+ touchdowns and he NEVER has rushed for 1,000 yards. He has always been overrated he had that great year backing up Julius Jones and people wanted to talk about how he was close to top 5 in the league at the time and I always said that was crazy talk and when he became a starter things would be much different.

Old Tiger
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He has always been overrated he had that great year backing up Julius Jones and people wanted to talk about how he was close to top 5 in the league at the time and I always said that was crazy talk and when he became a starter things would be much different. 2007?

greenhornet
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Jones starts the game and Barber starts the second half, he used to bring a lot of energy to the offense when he came in during second halves of games. I would like to see that again.

JasperDog94
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by greenhornet
Jones starts the game and Barber starts the second half, he used to bring a lot of energy to the offense when he came in during second halves of games. I would like to see that again. :iagree: