PDA

View Full Version : Emmitt Smith, and Retirement

Tackle75
10-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Now I just have a comment, in response to all the crud I have heard all off season, and especially this past week, regarding Emmitt Smith.

When you play football, no matter what some will tell you, if you wanna have a long career, you dont just play for money, you play because you love the game.

Emmitt Smith Obviously loves the game, so why should he retire? If he continues to play, but isnt all that successful, who cares. If Emmitt is happy still playing football, then why should it matter to him. He already has a seat in Canton.
All the guys in the media, and on ESPN, should just hush it, who cares if we remember Emmitt floundering these last few years of his career. Emmitt never played so we all could be happy. Emmitt doesnt play to put a smile on our faces.

Emmitt SMith plays football, because he loves the game, and has deep respect for what it is all about.

So to those who suggest Emmitt should retire, maybe you ought to think about why alot of men play the game of football in the first place. Its all about the game baby.

crzyjournalist03
10-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Although I do think that people should play for love of the game, I don't think that's why people want him to retire. There comes a point in every athlete's career where he is no longer valuable to his club. That's why he's not in Dallas this year. He's not done a thing for Arizona this year either. Emmitt has nothing more to offer the NFL as a player. You can still show love for the game without playing it. Let him be a pregame show host or an announcer or something. Just because he quits playing doesn't mean he has to leave the game. But his play on the field is no longer beneficial to the league, so therefore he should be willing to step down and take on another role.

St. Ivender
10-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Tackle75:
Now I just have a comment, in response to all the crud I have heard all off season, and especially this past week, regarding Emmitt Smith.

When you play football, no matter what some will tell you, if you wanna have a long career, you dont just play for money, you play because you love the game.

Emmitt Smith Obviously loves the game, so why should he retire? If he continues to play, but isnt all that successful, who cares. If Emmitt is happy still playing football, then why should it matter to him. He already has a seat in Canton.
All the guys in the media, and on ESPN, should just hush it, who cares if we remember Emmitt floundering these last few years of his career. Emmitt never played so we all could be happy. Emmitt doesnt play to put a smile on our faces.

Emmitt SMith plays football, because he loves the game, and has deep respect for what it is all about.

So to those who suggest Emmitt should retire, maybe you ought to think about why alot of men play the game of football in the first place. Its all about the game baby.This post was very interesting, a new argument I haven't thought of before. Thank you.

Tackle75
10-09-2003, 06:25 PM
I will just set up a little metaphor, so maybe some people will understand this a little better. NO offense intended. ha ha

Let's say you are playing golf with your friends, 4-5 of ya. Well you are stinkin it up bad, and you used to be the best in the group.

Would you just say after about the 3rd hole, oh I quit, I am not doing so hot, I just wanna give it up so I dont embarrass myself anymore.

Unless your like me, and you say that every other hole anyway, and everytime you play golf,

Realistically you probally will just perservere, and have fun being with your friends.

Football is about more than just winning, and records. Football is about the comradorie that you exchange with your fellow teammates, and fans.

Yeah Emmitt could be a tv commentator right now, and would make a good one, probally.
But Emmitt is not ready to give it up yet.

He is still having fun, and enjoying the company of his teammates, and the experience of being in a big football game, and all that comes with being on an NFL team.

And so who are we to say that he needs to give up all that, just so we wont have a tarnished image of one of the greatest running backs to cross the plane of the NFL in history.

3ahunter2k4
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
i agree... as long as a team wants him then it should be up to him and only him to retire. if he is not beneficial to a team, then no one should sign him.