PDA

View Full Version : RIP Art Mack

Maroon87
05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI — Longtime local television and radio sportscaster Art Mack died Thursday. He was 60.

Current and former co-workers of Mack confirmed his death, saying he died after complications during a medical procedure at Christus Spohn Hospital Shoreline.

Mack had worked in local television from 1981 to 2007, A graduate of the University of North Texas, he worked in Georgia, Florida and North Carolina before arriving in Corpus Christi in 1981, becoming the sports director at KZTV Channel 10.

He moved to KRIS-TV 6 in 1989 and served as sports director from 1992 until his departure in September 2007. After leaving TV, he worked as a real estate agent. At the time his death he was with Coldwell-Banker Pacesetter Steel.

Mack is survived by his wife Cindy and son Alan, 16. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Sean Horejs, who worked with Mack for five years at KRIS before succeeding him as sports director, said Mack had told him in October that he had radiation treatment for recurrence of throat cancer.

“At the time, he said he was feeling good and was going to start jogging again,” Horejs said. “I heard from other people that he was in better health and doing well. The news really surprised me.

“Art and I at times had creative differences on the job, but he was an absolutely dedicated family man who put everything into raising his son, Alan, and was a devoted husband to his wife, Cindy.

“In my opinion, he overcame way too much for it to end this soon,” he said.

In late 1994, Mack underwent six weeks of radiation treatment at Houston’s M.D. Anderson Cancer Center after being diagnosed with oropharyngeal cancer, a type of squamous cell carcinoma that affects the back one-third of the tongue, the soft palate, the tonsils and the back of the throat. A tumor was found at the back of Mack’s tongue and later spread to his lymph nodes and neck.

In April 1995 Mack told the Caller-Times that his doctors told him when he was diagnosed that his chance of survival beyond five years was one in three or maybe 50-50 Mack told the Caller-Times in April 1995.

“So many people go into a complete denial of their disease,” he said at the time. “They see the warning signs, they have the symptoms, they get the diagnosis and they choose to ignore the obvious. Anybody can get cancer. If I could get it, anybody could. But you have to fight it.”

maroogreen
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
That's so sad. I worked with him when I was a broadcast intern at Channel 6 just before/right when he was diagnosed with cancer.

He was a little tightly wound on the job (like many on-air personalities are), but he was a nice guy. I'm sorry to hear this.

Phil C
05-27-2010, 09:56 PM
That is sad news. :(

SintonFan
05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
RIP Art Mack.

District303aPastPlayer
05-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Had the pleasure of having quite a few conversations with him over the past few years in Sinton and Portland. Great guy, true family man. First got to talk to him when his kid was pitching for the GP All Star team in a Sinton Tourney. Was amped up to see him play. Very shocking, and sad news...

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Very sad news. I remember seeing him on the sidelines at many football games.:(

RIP