PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Cuero to Henderson TX.

12thMan
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Were moving to Henderson this summer. What are some good activities for the family to do and what are some cool towns to visit in East Texas? What are some cool festival's to go see?

I'm gonna miss Cuero football this season! Not just football, but Cuero in general, the fans, school, the sea of green and white on Friday nights. I'm gonna miss all the great young men and women competing on the fields and courts. You can't say enough about the coaching staff, I enjoyed being around them and watching them coach and build up the kids.

Go Mean Green!!

waterboy
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome to District 16!:D The only good thing about moving to Henderson is that it is closer to Gilmer.......home of the Buckeyes!:D

Just kidding. East Texas is a LOT different than what you're used to down in Cuero. It'll be culture shock for a while. What kind of things do you like to do?

lostaussie
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
going to get arse kicked 2 years in a row:D j/k i wouldn't exactly call last year an arse whooping!!

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I can get you a list of people to avoid in Henderson. I really don't know alot there, but Palestine has the Texas Railroad, with a working steam driven train. Think they do a Christmas ride and some other things thru the year. Up a bit is Jefferson and they claim to be the "most haunted town in Texas"several different festivals and fairs all over. Lots of lakes, with good sking and fishing.

Welcome to the Piney Woods.:clap: :clap:

Farmersfan
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Just remember to run like hell when you hear the banjos playing in the woods!!!! :D

44INAROW
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Dang 12thMan - we're going to miss you :( Enjoy the Piney Woods :)

Johnny Utah
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Congrats to Coach Black, Cuero bound!! Gobblers just got better.

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Just remember to run like hell when you hear the banjos playing in the woods!!!! :D We only break out the banjos on "special" occasions.:p :D

Green Bling
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
If you like to fish, Athens hosts a great flyfishing clinic in March every year. It's a fun event for all ages. Also my son is a chiropractor there. We'll miss ya in Cuero, 12thman, but we'll catch ya on the DL!! Good luck! :D

Gobbler Fan
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Congrats to Coach Black, Cuero bound!! Gobblers just got better.

What Position does Coach Black Teach ?

12thMan
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Just remember to run like hell when you hear the banjos playing in the woods!!!! :D

LOL! I have some family in Center, so I know all about the banjos. It will be a little different, but looking forward to it.

12thMan
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Welcome to District 16!:D The only good thing about moving to Henderson is that it is closer to Gilmer.......home of the Buckeyes!:D

Just kidding. East Texas is a LOT different than what you're used to down in Cuero. It'll be culture shock for a while. What kind of things do you like to do?

Thanks waterboy! The first thing I noticed was Henderson and Gilmer in the same district. I don't know too much about the Lions yet, but I'll be taking a lot of action shots for them in the Fall.

I am looking for some fun family activities. I have a 11 yr. old son and a 7 yr. old daughter. We love sports of course and out door activities.

12thMan
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
going to get arse kicked 2 years in a row:D j/k i wouldn't exactly call last year an arse whooping!!

I'm wishing I could bring Trent Jackson with me just so I can watch him run the ball. You remember him don't you? :) j/k. I'm excited to see yall play again this year. That Cuero, Gilmer game was one of the best ever.

PHS Wildcats
05-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I can get you a list of people to avoid in Henderson. I really don't know alot there, but Palestine has the Texas Railroad, with a working steam driven train. Think they do a Christmas ride and some other things thru the year. Up a bit is Jefferson and they claim to be the "most haunted town in Texas"several different festivals and fairs all over. Lots of lakes, with good sking and fishing.

Welcome to the Piney Woods.:clap: :clap:

We also have the Dogwood Trails & the Hot Pepper Festival

lostaussie
05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
We also have the Dogwood Trails & the Hot Pepper Festival yep, them banjoes are warming up:D

oldtownag
05-28-2010, 07:19 AM
The Carthage Bulldogs put on an annual mauling of the Henderson Lions each year. That is always fun to watch.

LE Dad
05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I feel the love for the Lions shining through. :devil: :evilgrin: :evillol:

FbCoachB40
05-28-2010, 10:23 AM
There is a little fast food chicken place in Henderson. It might be "Chicken Express" or something like that. It is THE BEST chicken tenders I have ever had.

12thMan
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Were headed up there this weekend to take care of some business. What are some good places to eat at around Henderson? We'll be there till Wednesday.

LE Dad
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
There is a little fast food chicken place in Henderson. It might be "Chicken Express" or something like that. It is THE BEST chicken tenders I have ever had. Chicken Express is goood!!!

waterboy
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Were headed up there this weekend to take care of some business. What are some good places to eat at around Henderson? We'll be there till Wednesday.
They do have a Cotton Patch restaurant there. I've never eaten at the one in Henderson, but the one in Longview is good. I usually opt for the Trailblazer, Grilled Pork Chops, or a chicken fried steak, with mashed new potatoes and turnip greens or blackeyed peas. Their rolls and cornbread are to die for...:cool:

LE Dad
05-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
They do have a Cotton Patch restaurant there. I've never eaten at the one in Henderson, but the one in Longview is good. I usually opt for the Trailblazer, Grilled Pork Chops, or a chicken fried steak, with mashed new potatoes and turnip greens or blackeyed peas. Their rolls and cornbread are to die for...:cool: Every Cotton Patch I have eaten ate has been good... service, food and atmosphere is always consistent.

PHS Wildcats
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
yep, them banjoes are warming up:D

:mad:

:clap:

buckeyebob
05-30-2010, 06:31 AM
You will get to see some good football & not travel far for district play...Gilmer, Carthage (the annual mauling), Pittsburg, Spring Hill & Gladewater.

Other items of interest...Yamboree in Gilmer in Oct., Pittsburg Hot Links, East Texas OIl Museum in Kilgore, Oct 15th in Carthage for the maulling of the Bulldogs, banjo lessons, and

Henderson Lions 2010 Schedule

0 week Mt. PLeasant home
week 1 Pine Tree away
week 2 Kilgore away
week 3 Center ??
week 4 Liberty Eylau ??

Then The Green Mile

Spring Hill Home
Pittsburg Away
Carthage Home
Gilmer Home
Gladewater Away

Blue42
05-31-2010, 06:30 AM
You had better get your Mexican food fix before you leave because the piney woods idea of chips and dip are Pace and crackers. But in all seriousness we will miss you and your family I know the Lord is guiding you and all good thing come through him.

Rabid Cougar
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
From the Mesquite Curtain to the Pine Curtain.

IHStangFan
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Henderson huh? I like that area. Lots of hills and big trees!

buckeyebob
06-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Blue42
You had better get your Mexican food fix before you leave because the piney woods idea of chips and dip are Pace and crackers. But in all seriousness we will miss you and your family I know the Lord is guiding you and all good thing come through him.

WRONG...Kilgore is the home for Albert's

Blue42
06-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
WRONG...Kilgore is the home for Albert's
Come on Albert's a legit Mexican food place maybe if it was called Alberto's I could belive it then.

Buckeye80
06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Come on Albert's a legit Mexican food place maybe if it was called Alberto's I could belive it then.
Albert's Hot Sauce! Which is delicious and far beyond anything Pace could conjure up!:D

buckeyebob
06-04-2010, 04:56 AM

A little history lesson:

By the time Albert Madariaga closed two of East Texas’ first Mexican restaurants, his hot sauce already was famous.

Diners would find the tomato-rich dip, with complementary crackers, on the table at his Mexican Village on East Lantrip Street in downtown Kilgore and at a sister restaurant in Henderson. The Kilgore eatery burned, and both restaurants closed, sometime in the early 1970s. By then, like The King, the hot sauce already had left the building and was being "jared" for distribution. It is now sold in 11 states including WalMart...look in the refrigerated seaction.

For those who haven’t dipped a chip into Albert’s Hot Sauce, think tomato, garlic, crushed red pepper. Its consistency is like that found in a typical restaurant chips-and-dip setup. It will drip onto your plate if you don’t hold the chip level — serves you right, keep your eye on the prize, amigo.

12thMan
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies!! We visited Henderson and the surrounding ares over the Memorial day weekend. We didn't come back till Wednesday. I'm actually looking forward for the move.

Cotton Patch was great! Good food and service. We also ate breakfast at Hershel's. We didn't visit the steam engine in Palestine, but meet a fella who plays a part in robbing the train during the ride. LOL He was a character!!

Henderson is a great little town, reminds me a lot of Cuero. We met lots of nice people. After church on Sunday, some of the high school kids were telling us how football is king in Henderson. But I can tell that Henderson has nothing on Cuero when it comes to athletics.

Does anyone know if Henderson athletics has a website other than the ISD website?

Txbroadcaster
06-04-2010, 11:15 AM

not sure wher u have eaten Mexican Food in East Texas but there are many KNOWN through out the state for the quality of their food.

As mentioned Albert's Hot Sauce was created in East Texas

Gonzales in Longview is world known for their Chile Chile Rellenos you should see some of the famous people that have autographed pictures at that place

Aesculus gilmus
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm very worried about the Henderson game. I'm not sure Gilmer has ever beaten the Lions. I know we didn't the two years we were in District 16-4A together in 1996-97. In fact, we didn't score a single point against them in those two games (0-14 and 0-48).

I just looked up WOS87's exhaustive history of the Buckeyes and it looks like the last time the Buckeyes and Lions played aside from the '90s goes all the way back to 1933, with Gilmer winning 14-0.

Back then, a drive from here to Henderson would've taken you through the heart of the newly-discovered largest oilfield in the world at that time.

Incidentally, it was in Henderson where Gilmer first came to be known as the Buckeyes, according to this story:

http://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-gilmer-came-to-be-known-as.html

buckeyebob
06-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I'm very worried about the Henderson game. I'm not sure Gilmer has ever beaten the Lions. I know we didn't the two years we were in District 16-4A together in 1996-97. In fact, we didn't score a single point against them in those two games (0-14 and 0-48).

I just looked up WOS87's exhaustive history of the Buckeyes and it looks like the last time the Buckeyes and Lions played aside from the '90s goes all the way back to 1933, with Gilmer winning 14-0.

Back then, a drive from here to Henderson would've taken you through the heart of the newly-discovered largest oilfield in the world at that time.

Incidentally, it was in Henderson where Gilmer first came to be known as the Buckeyes, according to this story:

http://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-gilmer-came-to-be-known-as.html

Not to worry! By using a little logic...Carthage shows up each year to adminitser their Annual Mauling of the Lions and we know what lies in store for the Bulldogs when they meet the Buckeyes this year; therefore, the Lions will be licking their wounds.

12thMan
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
What type of offense does Henderson run? How long has their HC been there?

Aesculus gilmus
06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
What type of offense does Henderson run? How long has their HC been there?

HC is Dickey Meeks, who's been around a LONG time and won a state title at Tyler Chapel Hill in 1989. He's also been at Longview Pine Tree.

Then he was at Mount Vernon for several years and MV was in our district in 2002-03. His son was QB and, as I recall, it was a multiple offense.

I just did a bit of research and found out that Meeks switched the Lions to the Tony Franklin System in 2008, but I don't know if they still use that offense. Meeks has been there since 2006, it looks like.

1st and goal
06-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Just a side note, Henderson has a small paved racetrack that used to attract motorcycle roadracing and karts. Not sure of the current conditions or race days now.