PDA

View Full Version : Drill baby drill

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Mary Landrieu has the right idea, and best part she is a Democrat from the State being effected the most by the oil spill.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
5/21/10

Landrieu Urges Obama Administration to Lift Moratorium on New Shallow Water Drilling

WASHINGTON — In a letter to U.S. Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar, United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., urged the Obama Administration to exclude shallow water platforms from its moratorium on issuing new offshore drilling permits. The Department of the Interior's (DOI) moratorium will remain in place until the conclusion of the investigation into the April 20 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig.

JasperDog94
05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
When oil companies cannot drill on shore or in shallow water, they are forced to try these dangerous drills in deep water. We act surprised that this happened, but it was only a matter of time before something went wrong. Had this happened in shallow water the hole would have been plugged immediately with minimal impact to the environment.

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
When oil companies cannot drill on shore or in shallow water, they are forced to try these dangerous drills in deep water. We act surprised that this happened, but it was only a matter of time before something went wrong. Had this happened in shallow water the hole would have been plugged immediately with minimal impact to the environment. Very true!

The impact that Louisana is starting to feel now is horrible to watch, and is being made worse by Federal inaction. The Army Corp of Eng. and EPA have delayed a request for dredgeing sand to slow or stop the oil from hitting the wetlands and marshes so that the dredgings impact can be determined. I could give them an easy demonstration. Hold out 2 hands and pour oil in one and sand in the other...now which one was easier to remove?

Old Cardinal
05-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Sadly government bad actions have hurt the situation....

AND government bad decisions will cripple the economies of states all around the Gulf of Mexico. While all the rest of the USA states get to have NO drilling of their pristine(mostly)-- beaches and wetlands.

Those Federal Idiots will shutdown TX & LA's above par economies with their quest for any money that can be tapped, via CAP & TRADE!

Old Tiger
05-29-2010, 10:53 AM
You can't blame the government for BP's screw ups and not taking action as quickly as they should have.

Old Cardinal
05-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Old Tiger: I was referring to government putting a BAN on shallow and deep water drilling into the future. That cripples a bunch of state economies and will double fuel imports, raise prices at the pump to who-knows-how-high.

I have some higher education in these areas and the decisions by the Czars and controlled Congress seems they are doing things that will cripple the grow potential for America for decades; despite the best efforts of sound Private and Corporate management.

BP is doing everything in their power to snuff this oil flow out: they are calling on all sources to find a viable solution.

rockdale80
05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Old Tiger: I was referring to government putting a BAN on shallow and deep water drilling into the future. That cripples a bunch of state economies and will double fuel imports, raise prices at the pump to who-knows-how-high.

I have some higher education in these areas and the decisions by the Czars and controlled Congress seems they are doing things that will cripple the grow potential for America for decades; despite the best efforts of sound Private and Corporate management.

BP is doing everything in their power to snuff this oil flow out: they are calling on all sources to find a viable solution.

Maybe it will force us to find cleaner and more reliable sources of fuel....

Blue42
05-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal

Amen brother and not only is it safer, if you drill within 3 miles of the coast the state also gets a part of the revenue, and this alternative energy stuff is good but will never be the total replacement for oil. We are blessed here in the USA to have all the resources we need if only our government would not tie our hands and let free enterprise run like it should.

DDBooger
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Free enterprise is pouring into the gulf as we speak. Less regulation and more drilling is the answer!!! :D

Blue42
05-31-2010, 10:39 AM
What an oxymoron ? Regulation of where has got us to what has happened now. If you think the oil companies want to drill in the obis your wrong that's where they have to. My grandfather drilled a shallow gas well on his property back in the 1930's and the government would not let him produce it. I have worked in the oil biz all my life and I'll tell you the independent oil man is all but gone due to the Government regulations.

DDBooger
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Blue42
What an oxymoron ? Regulation of where has got us to what has happened now. hahaha are you serious? Regulation forced someone to cut corners and value profit over the lives lost, as those who were on the rig testified to congress? Okay pal, clearly you have been influenced to believe that the government is at fault here, which is silly. They were complicit by nature of utilizing individuals with ties or seeking ties into the industry. It's no secret that regulators often seek jobs in the very sector they regulate. It is self defeating to play Lawman when it can inversely affect your career after public service.

Originally posted by Blue42
If you think the oil companies want to drill in the obis your wrong that's where they have to. My grandfather drilled a shallow gas well on his property back in the 1930's and the government would not let him produce it. I have worked in the oil biz all my life and I'll tell you the independent oil man is all but gone due to the Government regulations. The tragedy of the commons is that actions on one's property can have severe ramifications on another. There is no way around it. Water tables and watersheds are affected by these things. We have jumped leaps and bounds technologically in just about every domain except the combustible engine. I would have thought we'd have found a way to power our nation and our vehicles in a different manner by now. Yet, that kind of innovation threatens industries and livelihoods. Thus, it is not a surprise that it has remained stagnant. I laugh when people demand hybrids or want electric cars. This isn't a chicken or egg scenario. Until our energy grid is powered by a source other than fossil fuels, a hybrid is merely plugging into a fossil fuel reserve. I think Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"
Solutions won't come from the same mindset, but one that steps back reflects and heads in a new direction.

Blue42
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh cutting corners by BP was wrong and believe me they will pay for it,but we have been drilling in the Gulf now for over 45 years and nothing of this magnitude has ever happened but with technology what it is today we can do almost anything, and some of these leases were opened up only because they thought no one would even try to drill there.