PDA

View Full Version : Does your school district feed their kids?

truebluestang
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
How often do they feed them and how far do they have to travel?

truebluestang
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Ours feeds the athletes everytime they travel if 45 minutes or more and at all levels. $6 limit per student and $10 limit in playoffs. I have heard some districts feed thei kids sandwiches from the cafeteria and warm gatorade. Have things really gotten this bad?

NastySlot
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
we used to fee varsity only on all road trips.............not anymore....if a team or individual makes the playoffs they are fed.

oh yeah we are a property rich school..........so we send money out....sure someones feed their kids with our money.

onsideanytime
05-27-2010, 08:10 AM
we feed only during playoffs

cr180t
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Everytime they go out of town. Jr High - High School

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
We are property rich as well but and send millions out of district but still feed our kids. I think if kids miss a meal then school should provide a meal. It's the least you can do for the kids in your program.

jdawg2012
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Football gets to eat no matter what, and Baseball eats after a win during the regular season. During playoffs, football still eats no matter what. In years past baseball always went to the same place before leaving town for a playoff game. However, we got a new principal this year and he won't allow it. He has made A LOT of people mad! Including me, and I'm not even on the team.:mad:

jdawg2012
05-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by truebluestang
Ours feeds the athletes everytime they travel if 45 minutes or more and at all levels. $6 limit per student and $10 limit in playoffs. I have heard some districts feed thei kids sandwiches from the cafeteria and warm gatorade. Have things really gotten this bad?

Yeah, its bad. I know it's not sports but I am in One-Act Play and they refused to feed us at one of the competitions because they said it was only district. The problem with that is Jasper was in a messed up district and we had to travel 2 hours to get there. It sucked! And at the next competition it was a 4 hour drive and we requested a hotel so we would not have to leave Jasper at 3 in the morning and they almost refused that. The only reason they agreed was because our director put them on the spot about other programs budgets being way higher than ours.

garciap77
05-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
we feed only during playoffs

Acuna,Mexico Has a 3A team?:D

;)

jdawg2012
05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
;)

I thought the same thing! :D

Roc96
05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't know about JH, but all HS sports get fed on out of town games - $5 limit for players and coaches. Whataburger and McDonalds and most other places no longer have adult meals for $5 or less, so we have to be creative. I'm not going to knock it. Many others around us no longer pay for meals due to budget restraints. Several neighboring districts have cut all sub varsity tournaments due to costs.

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
JV and Varsity are fed at every away game. 9th grade gets to split pizzas on long trips.

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I think Sinton feeds their kids sandwiches before games, but I'm pretty sure the gatorade is cold!

I believe we fed them after games, as long as the game is more than 45 miles (Falfurrias in our district and most playoff games) away. Pretty sure our cap is $5, but might be a little more for playoff games.

LE Dad
05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by garciap77

;) :pSi, se puede.

wildstangs
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Remember, I am just the lowly middle school guy who doesn't know all the details :)
It's all fixed now... :) 44inarow

onsideanytime
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Acuna, Mexico is where i spend my offseason, Hunters Paradise gets my stamina up for the grueling football season

UPanIN
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Seems this post is an effort to get someone to admit that their school is not following the rules correctly so they can turn them in to the UIL.

Just a thought

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Not at all. Just an interesting topic. I think it is the AD's resposibility to put the pressure on the district to feed their kids. I know a few AD's would have it no other way. I guess some are not in a position to try and get what they want or need. To me sandwiches that half of the kids won't eat wouldn't cut it. Budget a little money to feed the athletes- it is one of the few things they get for all of the hard work they put in. That was one of my best memories in school- eating with the team after a game.

RiverRat19
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The only times I was ever fed as a player (in two different school districts, different areas of the state & different classifications) was when we made the playoffs. Other than than, we were on our own. I would have been DOING BACKFLIPS for sandwiches from anywhere if my coach had said "Hey guys, I got this for y'all" before a regular season, district or non-district ball game. All my teammates would have been the same way as well but then again, we weren't too proud to take whatever was offerred to us.... Maybe a difference in generations?...

After I graduated HS and since then, I was blown away when I heard that some school districts' athletic programs feed kids from restaurants for just average ol' regular season games. Just depends on what you're used to...

crzyjournalist03
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
When I made it to the state academic meet in UIL everything was paid for...two nights in a hotel and all my meals. We had somewhere around an $8-per-meal budget, but after I won state in my event, the Superintendent told me and my sponsors to go somewhere really nice.

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
You have to look at things a different way. Many of the kids are already on reduced lunch at school and get no money to spend. They have lunch at 11:45 and will be getting back home 10 PM or later. You would be amazed that some parent's care less if there kid eats at that point or not- some have even told me they don't have anything at home to eat. I've seen coaches have to take them home that late or other players sO I think you should feed them.

garciap77
05-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Our kids are fed! But, I always give my son money just in case.

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
You have to look at things a different way. Many of the kids are already on reduced lunch at school and get no money to spend. They have lunch at 11:45 and will be getting back home 10 PM or later. You would be amazed that some parent's care less if there kid eats at that point or not- some have even told me they don't have anything at home to eat. I've seen coaches have to take them home that late or other players sO I think you should feed them. Then a sandwich and warm gatorade should make those kids happy to be getting something, right?

SintonFan_inAustin
05-27-2010, 01:13 PM
You have to look at things a different way. Many of the kids are already on reduced lunch at school and get no money to spend. They have lunch at 11:45 and will be getting back home 10 PM or later. You would be amazed that some parent's care less if there kid eats at that point or not- some have even told me they don't have anything at home to eat. I've seen coaches have to take them home that late or other players sO I think you should feed them. i do recall being fed a burger,chips and a soda back in the '80s but that was maybe $1.50 to $2.00 tops for that meal :)

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
$1.50 to $2 in the 80's is probably like $5-$6 now.

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Then a sandwich and warm gatorade should make those kids happy to be getting something, right? \

Keep feeding your sandwiches and ours will eat Whataburger, DQ, CiCi's, Vans, etc.

eagles_victory
05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
JR High we had an awful sandwhich chips some nasty fruit and some god awful warm drink for every road game except one each season. In high school we ate after every game at a local restaurant unless it was just really close. Fairfield is a wealthy school district though. Not sure how it is now though I haven't played since 06 when I graduated.

eagles_victory
05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Then a sandwich and warm gatorade should make those kids happy to be getting something, right? A sandwhich and a warm gatorade that have been sitting in a cooler for 12 hours wont ever make most kids happy.

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 02:19 PM
\

Keep feeding your sandwiches and ours will eat Whataburger, DQ, CiCi's, Vans, etc.

OHHHHHHHHHH I get it now...this is a new recruiting tactic. Leave Sinton and come to Ingleside...I'll feed you Whataburger, DQ, CiCi's, Vans, etc...LMAO.

Matthew328
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Kids are soft these days, when I went to HS in the late 90s we were only fed if we went more than 60 miles or if it was a tournament and we had multiple games. I dont think our football team ate except playoffs and during the one long trip in district to Waco

Now for the playoffs we did eat after every game.

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
OHHHHHHHHHH I get it now...this is a new recruiting tactic. Leave Sinton and come to Ingleside...I'll feed you Whataburger, DQ, CiCi's, Vans, etc...LMAO.

Recruiting? A little confused about that one. We just care a little more about the athletes here I guess. Man if that worked all we need to tell our people is to spread the word about us feeding our kids like most districts already do. Sorry yours isn't one of them.

eagles_victory
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Kids are soft these days, when I went to HS in the late 90s we were only fed if we went more than 60 miles or if it was a tournament and we had multiple games. I dont think our football team ate except playoffs and during the one long trip in district to Waco

Now for the playoffs we did eat after every game. They are soft for needing food?

RiverRat19
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Kids are soft these days
I totally agree...

BaseballUmp
05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
They are soft for needing food?
Duh, what kid these days can go about 10 hours without a meal??? Realistically tho, I think they should feed the kids, or atleast let them know if they will be stopping somewhere or not so that they may either bring something of there own or some money to get something at the store...

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Recruiting? A little confused about that one. We just care a little more about the athletes here I guess. Man if that worked all we need to tell our people is to spread the word about us feeding our kids like most districts already do. Sorry yours isn't one of them. Yes, I'm sure that's it...you care more about your kids. Our kids are SOOOOOO mistreated. :rolleyes: Please get over yourself GH. Initials are okay, right?

Yoe_09
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
\

Yeah, based on if you were on a $5 dollar budget you could get:

2 bacon cheeseburger & 1 large drink= about 5 dollars*

1 bacon cheeseburger & 1 fry & 1 large drink= about 5 dollars*

*Thats if you go during the half price drink time.

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
A sandwhich and a warm gatorade that have been sitting in a cooler for 12 hours wont ever make most kids happy. It's not 12 hours.

They are fed in the school cafeteria before games. If we play away and it is further than 45 miles away, they get food from Whataburger, DQ or whatever is still open.

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, I'm sure that's it...you care more about your kids. Our kids are SOOOOOO mistreated. :rolleyes: Please get over yourself GH. Initials are okay, right?

Sure their OK. If you get them right. Who do you think this is? Never said I was a coach.

truebluestang
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
It's not 12 hours.

They are fed in the school cafeteria before games. If we play away and it is further than 45 miles away, they get food from Whataburger, DQ or whatever is still open.

Not from what I was told. Food was awful, drinks were warm and only HS kids ate out and only occassionally.

eagles_victory
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
It's not 12 hours.

They are fed in the school cafeteria before games. If we play away and it is further than 45 miles away, they get food from Whataburger, DQ or whatever is still open. Now was that your story earlier?

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Not from what I was told. Food was awful, drinks were warm and only HS kids ate out and only occassionally.

HAHA I can just imagine what you were told.

Cody - what story?

pirate4state
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Never said I was a coach. Neither did I!

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I can only (pretty much) speak for football. During the regular season, they get sandwiches, chips, gatorades, maybe a granola bar or piece of fruit, for away games. Sometimes they've been subs...sometimes regular sandwiches. They used to have "Uncrustables" for the JH kids at away games, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Footballhudini
05-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
When I made it to the state academic meet in UIL everything was paid for...two nights in a hotel and all my meals. We had somewhere around an $8-per-meal budget, but after I won state in my event, the Superintendent told me and my sponsors to go somewhere really nice.

same thing for me, only it was better.

we used to straight-up get cash. 10 sometimes 15 dollars a meal at the state meet. and then when i won my event, i got to pocket the cash cuz 'someone' paid for my meal. lmao

truebluestang
05-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Neither did I!

Sounds like you think I am a coach in Ingleside with references to recruiting and the initials GH. Maybe someone close to the program- could even be part of the booster club but not on staff.

playnhurt
05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
We feed them. They get 5 for breakfast, 6 for lunch and 7 for supper. But God forbid, you don't feed them breakfast and lunch and then try to buy them an 18 dollar steak for supper. It's like that money dissenegrates (sp) 15 minutes after meal time.