PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park

hawkfan
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
I saw where the AD job posted today. Anybody know where Coach Ellis is going?

TexasHSFootball
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Chris Ellis resigned to take an assistant job at Bastrop. The move was for personal reasons.

hawkfan
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Nevermind. I just saw where he is taking an assistant job at Bastrop. It is no secret that he has been trying to get closer to family for the last few years. I understand why, but I hate to see him leave Iowa Park. He is the reason why I am in the coaching profession today and would still run through a brick wall for him.

And as for other secrets, it has been no secret that Ponder from Rider has wanted the Iowa Park job for several years, so I see him as the front runner for the position.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/may/26/iowa-park-coach-takes-job-bastrop/

danplainview
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
they've hired too many outsiders in the past. i think this job needs to go to a local boy.

don't think ponder is really wanting this job. i heard him say that the kids he's got in the freshman group at rider is the best overall group he's ever had.

JasonTX
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by danplainview
they've hired too many outsiders in the past. i think this job needs to go to a local boy.

don't think ponder is really wanting this job. i heard him say that the kids he's got in the freshman group at rider is the best overall group he's ever had.

I've also heard that Ponder is ready to get out of a 3 high school town where he has no control over the jr. highs. He wants to be able to install his programs from the start in jr. high.

hawkfan
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JasonTX
I've also heard that Ponder is ready to get out of a 3 high school town where he has no control over the jr. highs. He wants to be able to install his programs from the start in jr. high.

I've heard that from more than one coach. Personally, I would love for them to see if they could get Coach Nelms to come back. I think that is a longshot, because he is going to have some pretty salty teams in Wimberley the next couple of years.

Another good choice in My opinion is Green from Windthorst. Good coach with a couple of state championships to back it up.

GreenMonster
05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Nevermind. I just saw where he is taking an assistant job at Bastrop. It is no secret that he has been trying to get closer to family for the last few years. I understand why, but I hate to see him leave Iowa Park. He is the reason why I am in the coaching profession today and would still run through a brick wall for him.

And as for other secrets, it has been no secret that Ponder from Rider has wanted the Iowa Park job for several years, so I see him as the front runner for the position.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/may/26/iowa-park-coach-takes-job-bastrop/

I have to agree that it is indeed a sad day for me as well. I only played for Coach Ellis for one year when he was the OC, but his moral values and high expectations for his students not only as players but as citizens have helped guide me into the profession as well. There are not many role models out there better than Chris Ellis and Weldon Nelms and I am extremely proud to have had the opportunity to play for them and learn from them. I try to emulate them everyday. They say immitation is the finest form of flattery and I do my best to immitate what these two men would do in my situation. Thank you Coach Ellis for 15 years of service and for the several thousand young men that you helped guide into life after high school. You and your family have my best regards and good luck on your future endeavors.

2sweet
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
danplainview- who do you suggest they give it to?

hawkfan- are you talking about the green that is already in iowa park?

GreenMonster
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 2sweet

hawkfan- are you talking about the green that is already in iowa park? [/B] He is talking about Bill Green at Windthorst, but Gary Green on staff at IP would be a good choice if they stay inside.

2sweet
05-27-2010, 11:28 AM
What about their baseball coach? I heard there powerlifter coach is leaving. is there other coordinator leaving to?

danplainview
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
no, i've been told that no one on the current staff will be considered.

the name i'm hearing is a late 1980's hawk who is a coordinator at a 5a school right now

2sweet
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
danplainveiw- here are my two cents. If they don't hire someone who is currently on the staff this late in the year then they are really sending a message to the current staff. I am not sure that any of them even want the job. But, if they do, that is really sad. from what i have discovered, the defensive coordinater has been there for 12 years, green has been there for 5 years, the baseball guy has been there for 5 years. does loyalty not count for something?

danplainview
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
i'm not saying it's right or wrong. i'm not employed by the school district or on the school board. morale has been low for quite some time among the kids, so i don't know who is being blamed for that.
i don't see a current hc wanting to leave so late in the year to take this job. if they are not going to promote from within, it makes sense that a coordinator from a bigger school would have the best shot. from what i've seen, it's not like iowa park is going to strike fear in any opponent over the next year or so.

JasonTX
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Typically coaches leave late like this in order to help an assistant get the job. I don't recall any school not opening up the position for the public to apply for it, but unless there is a heck of a coach available, then most times they will just hire from within. Imagine the challenge that a new "outside hired" coach would have. Looking at Vernon, they are taking applications till May 31. They will take 1 week to interview and then 1 week to choose. So that puts Vernon in the middle of June, giving them just about 6 weeks till 2 a-days. The new coach would then have to uproot his family and relocate to Vernon. So back to Iowa Park, they are getting started with less time so it will probably be closer to July if they go through the same time process as Vernon is. If they hire from outside, it would most likely be someone who is already in the area to save time on relocating.

VWG
05-27-2010, 09:59 PM
IP needs to find someone to inject some life into that program.
Football wise, and correct me if I am wrong, but haven't they failed to finish the last 2 years with a complete freshman team?
Meaning they start the season with a JV and a freshman team but to due to grades, etc... they end up with a JV only schedule.

2sweet
05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I was told by someone close to the situation that two more coaches in iowa park turned in there resignations yesterday. i believe they have 2 football coaches returning and that is it.
who would want to walk into something like that.

JasonTX
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
I was told by someone close to the situation that two more coaches in iowa park turned in there resignations yesterday. i believe they have 2 football coaches returning and that is it.
who would want to walk into something like that.

We had 2 retire in Vernon as well.

BurkNate
05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a friend that is in the know over there and he or she says theres only one Assistant that has a chance, and thats Coach Gary Green. The DC has applied and will not be looked at.

As for this 5A Coord that was an Ex Hawk, I know that rumor and who he is and again he has no chance.

There has been alot of good applicants so far, but if they stay inside, look for Green to get job..

Isnt it funny someone from Burk knows more on this then some IP locals?

Good luck IP!!

2sweet
05-29-2010, 08:26 AM
burknate- From what I understand the DC has been there for 12 years. Why wouldn't they consider him?
i have heard Green is not interested in the position. He isnt as experienced and is not even sure he wants to continue coaching.

Anyone no how many coaches they have over there

JasonTX
05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
burknate- From what I understand the DC has been there for 12 years. Why wouldn't they consider him?
i have heard Green is not interested in the position. He isnt as experienced and is not even sure he wants to continue coaching.

Anyone no how many coaches they have over there

If you are talking about Coach Merrell (sp), he came to Vernon for a few years. He's only been back at IP for about 2 years.

2sweet
05-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Is Coach Merrell the current dc?

Texas State
05-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes

hawkfan
05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Unless I am mistaken, Coach Robinson is the DC. Coach Merrill is the JH coordinator. But I think Coach Merrill would do a great job.

danplainview
06-01-2010, 10:28 PM
ummmm...no. i think we need to get a young guy in here who was actually part of the true iowa park winning tradition of the mid and late 80's. there's only 2 guys from those teams that are coaching, and they happen to be brothers-in-law. one is a 5A offensive coordinator that won a ton of playoff games in hs as a hawk and has playoff coaching success. the other one is on the current ip staff. hire one and he will certainly get the other to be a coordinator. either way, you right the ship with someone who knows TRUE hawk tradition.

Texas State
06-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I agree!!

westcoast54
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
ummmm...no. i think we need to get a young guy in here who was actually part of the true iowa park winning tradition of the mid and late 80's. there's only 2 guys from those teams that are coaching, and they happen to be brothers-in-law. one is a 5A offensive coordinator that won a ton of playoff games in hs as a hawk and has playoff coaching success. the other one is on the current ip staff. hire one and he will certainly get the other to be a coordinator. either way, you right the ship with someone who knows TRUE hawk tradition.

I don't see a 5A OC leaving to become an OC at a 3A school. Just my opinion. Is there a Tiger HC who is from IP in the mix?

GreenMonster
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
I don't see a 5A OC leaving to become an OC at a 3A school. Just my opinion. Is there a Tiger HC who is from IP in the mix? The 5A OC in question would. Don't think the Head Tiger will make the top 10. Think the townsfolk are looking to go to a more wide open attack (spread or variation) which will make it tough for the Tiger. We'll find out soon, they will have someone in place fairly quickly I presume.

hawkfan
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The 5A OC in question would. Don't think the Head Tiger will make the top 10. Think the townsfolk are looking to go to a more wide open attack (spread or variation) which will make it tough for the Tiger. We'll find out soon, they will have someone in place fairly quickly I presume.

I'll probably be wrong, but I think that bringing in the spread would be the worse thing for IP. They have tried that in the past and did not have much success and they go back to running the ball mid-season an end up doing ok. They need a triple option guy or somebody who lives by smash-mouth football. But GreenMonster hit the nail on the head. "the townsfolk want to go to a spread attack". Thats the problem right there. The parents need to butt out and leave the coaching to the coach. Believe it or not, the coach that will be hired will actually know what is best for the program and will not need their help.

LH Panther Mom
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
The parents need to butt out and leave the coaching to the coach. Believe it or not, the coach that will be hired will actually know what is best for the program and will not need their help.
:1omg!: :1omg!: :1omg!: You don't say!!!!

Oh wait.....this thread is about IP. ;)

wildstangs
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
But GreenMonster hit the nail on the head. "the townsfolk want to go to a spread attack". Thats the problem right there. The parents need to butt out and leave the coaching to the coach. Believe it or not, the coach that will be hired will actually know what is best for the program and will not need their help.

Absurd - everyone knows that the people in the stands know more than that coach on the field.

hawkfan
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Absurd - everyone knows that the people in the stands know more than that coach on the field.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that I'd have a crap-load of nickels.

VWG
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
The Hawks best play in a spread offense next year would be to let Clubb drop back, and then run like hell.

hawkfan
06-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by VWG
The Hawks best play in a spread offense next year would be to let Clubb drop back, and then run like hell.

I think Clubb could be an excellent option quarterback.

Black Swarm
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I've watched Argyle play Iowa Park the past three seasons. I felt last years team
was by far the best of the three.
I don't know what they are returning but I know they can give teams trouble.
I personally think going to the spread would be a huge mistake.

westcoast54
06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Just my two cents but I think they need to run an offense similar to Abiline Wylie. Yes, it will take some time to develop a QB but it's very multiple and very hard to defend. They may be in the I with two tightends one play an then in a no back set the next. I think it could work very well in IP.

danplainview
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
another huge mistake is iowa park not having a 7 on 7 team. i know they haven't traditionally been a pass-happy offense, but in today's game you do need to be able to throw the ball some. they haven't really emphasized it over the summer months, which keeps skill kids sharp, in shape, and provides opportunities for the team to stay close over the summer. iowa park has to be in the fewer than 5% of teams in the state of texas that doesn't participate in it.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
do they simply not participate at all or do they just do their own local thing in a league or call up other local schools for games?

JasonTX
06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I know that a lot of coaches discourage their players from participating in 7 on 7 leagues since they can't control it. The reason why coaches can't control it is because the UIL isn't getting any of the money brought in by 7 on 7.

Matthew328
06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Coaches can still control it just gotta find the right dad who will listen LOL

GreenMonster
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Iowa Park has had 7 on 7 teams in the past. Participation is not stressed and it has been in the local area league. Not sure if they are playing this summer or not in the Burkburnett league, but when it was run by Old High in WF they usually had a couple of teams. Not many routes in that offense so it wasn't very beneficial to them.

hawkfan
06-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Iowa Park has had 7 on 7 teams in the past. Participation is not stressed and it has been in the local area league. Not sure if they are playing this summer or not in the Burkburnett league, but when it was run by Old High in WF they usually had a couple of teams. Not many routes in that offense so it wasn't very beneficial to them.

Heard any other rumors or anything?

danplainview
06-04-2010, 07:31 AM
burkburnett throws fewer passes in a game than iowa park...why do they have a summer 7 on 7 league?

it's not necessarily the offense side of 7 on 7 that's important. it's great for the defense to work on coverages, especially for the lb's and db's to get a feel for each other. it's also important for keeping the team together during the summer and building cohesiveness and momentum going into 2 a days.

GreenMonster
06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Heard any other rumors or anything? All I've got really is just that, rumors and speculation. The most credible one is that they aren't planning to have anyone in place till the end of the month. That might make it difficult for anyone coming in to bring any of his own guys with him with many schools having a middle of June deadline to opt out of contracts. Personally I think they need to get the lead and get someone in the office ASAP to fix that problem.

danplainview
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
i heard too that since no one on the current school board has ever been through a hc search that the supe and asst. supe are pretty much picking the final applicants out of the 90 plus applications sent in. looks like another "who you know" scenario plays out. things are complicated as well because ip is also having to find a hs principal at the same time. i don't look for anything to be resolved for a while.

injuredinmelee
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
the app list public yet?

JasonTX
06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
i heard too that since no one on the current school board has ever been through a hc search that the supe and asst. supe are pretty much picking the final applicants out of the 90 plus applications sent in. looks like another "who you know" scenario plays out. things are complicated as well because ip is also having to find a hs principal at the same time. i don't look for anything to be resolved for a while.

I wonder if it is the same 90 plus applicants that applied in Vernon. If so, if there is a "high value" coach in those applicants either Vernon or IP better jump quick before the other one snags him up.

GreenMonster
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
i heard too that since no one on the current school board has ever been through a hc search that the supe and asst. supe are pretty much picking the final applicants out of the 90 plus applications sent in. looks like another "who you know" scenario plays out. things are complicated as well because ip is also having to find a hs principal at the same time. i don't look for anything to be resolved for a while. There is a search committee consisting of other teachers and members of the community that will narrow it down to some point, but because there is no Principal in place the final decision will be between the sup and asst sup. Both good guys. Sup is a former ag teacher and asst sup has some coaching experience that gained him a state title ring from the 84 Electra Tigers. I think they are more than capable of choosing wisely.

mwrams
06-04-2010, 02:49 PM
We (Mineral Wells) have Iowa Park on our schedule this year.

VWG
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
There is a search committee consisting of other teachers and members of the community that will narrow it down to some point, but because there is no Principal in place the final decision will be between the sup and asst sup. Both good guys. Sup is a former ag teacher and asst sup has some coaching experience that gained him a state title ring from the 84 Electra Tigers. I think they are more than capable of choosing wisely.

Charlie Lott.... Tigers had a good run back in '84

hawkfan
06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Anybody hear anything new?

danplainview
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
looks like no one is hearing anything, or there is just simply nothing going on. the 10 day posting period ends this wednesday, so maybe we'll hear something after that.

Macarthur
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/jun/08/ponder-expected-to-be-iowa-parks-next-coach/

GreenMonster
06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
It's for real, done deal. I think the board may have called a special session this morning. May not be able to make it "Official" until Thursday night, but it's done.

hawkfan
06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
You heard it from me first people. Man I hate being right all the time.

injuredinmelee
06-09-2010, 12:36 AM
It's for real, done deal. I think the board may have called a special session this morning. May not be able to make it "Official" until Thursday night, but it's done.

How do you this move? I know there were some that wanted him at Graham.

wildstangs
06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I kept hearing his wife had a sweet gig at Midwestern. Maybe this job will allow her to stay close enough to Wichita Falls to keep her job.

Matthew328
06-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Iowa Park is 5 minutes from Wichita Falls, no doubt she'll keep her job.

GreenMonster
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
How do you this move? I know there were some that wanted him at Graham. I have no doubt Scott Ponder will do an excellent job. I know many coaches that have worked with him and they all say he's great. Great to work for, great with the kids, good family man. He will fit in nicely in IP.

hawkfan
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
does anyone know if the present staff will be staying or will Ponder bring in his own staff?

JasonTX
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM
does anyone know if the present staff will be staying or will Ponder bring in his own staff?

I've heard that 3 coaches were leaving on their own, but it's just hearsay at the moment.

2sweet
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
That is originally what I heard. However, I have now heard that they are all excited about Coach Ponder and noone is going anywhere.
Who did you hear is leaving?

JasonTX
06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
That is originally what I heard. However, I have now heard that they are all excited about Coach Ponder and noone is going anywhere.
Who did you hear is leaving?

No names were given to me, just that it was 3. Good news that they aren't leaving because they had some good coaches there and they will be a good compliment to what Ponder brings to the table.

GreenMonster
06-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
No names were given to me, just that it was 3. Good news that they aren't leaving because they had some good coaches there and they will be a good compliment to what Ponder brings to the table. There are several leaving. One is gone already, another may be moving into an Admin spot, and one more is on the fence but leaning towards leaving I believe. We'll have to wait and see. IP cut 3 coaching spots in the last few years and I have no idea if he will get to add some of those positions back in.

2sweet
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Okay, there are 2 that are gone, but that is nothing new. the AD left, and the other was there powerlifting coach. Beyond that all coaches are staying.
the one that was leaving for the admin position didn't get it, so he is staying. Thier was never one on the fence.
The coaches are all on board with Coach Ponder and excited to what he brings to the program.
Watch for IP to go all the way this year.

BEAST
06-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Watch for IP to go all the way this year.

Wow. Im not trying to start any smack talk but that a bold statement. What all does IP have coming back? I know full well Ponder is a great coach, but I would think it would take him a year or two to "go all the way".

BEAST

Macarthur
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Wow. Im not trying to start any smack talk but that a bold statement. What all does IP have coming back? I know full well Ponder is a great coach, but I would think it would take him a year or two to "go all the way".

BEAST

2Sweet is being a bit too optimistic. :)