PDA

View Full Version : 3A situation....Sad

XMan
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Im not going to say what school and use generic names to protect the innocent, but here is what happened. HFC/AD quits. School decides to name baseball coach, coach Smith, the new AD/bsb coach. Coach Smith calls in his 2nd assistant baseball guy, coach Newby. He tells Newby that he has been assigned head football coach. Newby replies, I have no football experience and only played in jr hi. Coach Smith says, "Oh it will be fine. You are a great baseball coach, you know how to motivate kids and work with parents. Besides, you will get an extra stipend. It will only be half of your baseball stipend, but its still extra money. You were my college roomate/baseball team mate, we will make it work. We have lots of footballers so you can have 3 teams. On top of that, ill give you 2 assistants, so each of you can have your own team." August comes and AD Smith calls a meeting w/all coaches. He decides that since offseason builds athletes, everyone would go through offseason and inseason practices wouldnt start till after school. School starts and during the period the guys lift weights on Mon./Wed./Fri and work on running the bases and foul poles, take grounders and BP on Tues/Thurs. (This is EVERYONE, not just baseball) However, on game days, the football guys can skip out. If they have a road game, they go jump on the bus. If they have a home game, they go to the field and make sure everything is ready for the game. The players have to mow the field, paint the lines and set up the yd markers and goal post pads. Football cruises along, team wins a few, gets 3rd and goes to playoffs. When the coaches come back from Christmas, coach Smith calls another meeting. He decides that baseball is a little behind schedule so when baseball season comes, they are going to start practice during the athletic period. The 75 or so football only players will get 1 coach and they can go run around and play flag football or something. The last straw was that coach Smith said that NO football could be out of the closet until baseball playoffs were over. I just cant believe how unfair this guy is. What do you think?

injuredinmelee
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I am doubting this is exactly how it went down but if it is even close then your supt and school board are made up of morins.

rholl
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
sounds similar to situation baseball coaches are put in at some smaller schools by the ad/fb coach!!!!!!

ronwx5x
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
morins.

???:D

FbCoachB40
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
WAKE UP FOOTBALL GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Xman is doing is trying to show what has happened to a school, but the roles are reversed (i.e. exchange football and baseball). He wants us to all throw a fit, and then he will tell us what really happened.

We say it all the time: This is TEXAS and football is king here. If you want baseball to be the #1 sport...move to Cali or Florida. If it is Basketball that you want...move to Illinois or Indiana...

BUT FOOTBALL WILL ALWAYS BE "THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lucky2Coach
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I think X-Man is a genius! What a great job of role-reversal! This happens all the time, and he is the only person smart enough to bring it to everyones attention. There are so many head baseball coaches out there ( I mean almost every single one) that have only played until JH, and have never coached it until they become the HC. This issue is rampant and needs to be addressed!

X-Man- Thank You so much for enlightening us!

LE Dad
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
It's football... something like that would never happen to such an important sport. :)

crzyjournalist03
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
My question is why wasn't it the female athletes out on the field getting it ready and making it pretty? That would at least get them prepared for their futures sitting at home cooking and cleaning for their men. :stirpot: :1popcorn:

BILLYFRED0000
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
It is sad. Celina has a lot of state titles including one in baseball and we have been close in girls softball. Got cross country track etc state titles. We believe that excellence excels and feeds all programs. You have to be in two programs to be in any. Some find this troublesome but as for me I agree. Football is the king but do not think that you are not going to contribute to something else because of that. there are exceptions to every class and kid because some just don't get it but I believe that you have to try to "encourage" the kids to see that it takes hard work. If you are not going to work, coach will find someone who will.

FbCoachB40
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Lucky2Coach
I think X-Man is a genius! What a great job of role-reversal! This happens all the time, and he is the only person smart enough to bring it to everyones attention. There are so many head baseball coaches out there ( I mean almost every single one) that have only played until JH, and have never coached it until they become the HC. This issue is rampant and needs to be addressed!

X-Man- Thank You so much for enlightening us!

Just a guess here, but with only 15 posts...is it possible that Lucky2coach IS ALSO Xman???

Lucky2Coach
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
Just a guess here, but with only 15 posts...is it possible that Lucky2coach IS ALSO Xman???

I only wish I was that intelligent!

kaorder1999
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
a mod can check to see if they are registering the same IP

Old Tiger
05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
xman is from texas. lucky is from between here and there. By my theory here is el paso and there is orange so in theory that is all of texas.

Lucky2Coach
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I promise I am not XMan, and I think my use of sarcasm was not detected.

Although, I would like to say hello to all the good people of 3ADL. I just recently found out about this site, and it reminds me of TOC before it sold out. I am looking forward to stirring the pot from time to time!

FbCoachB40
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
This post is all about what has happened just up the road from Xman...Navasota

He is unhappy about the powerlifting coach getting the Head BBall job, and is wanting to start an uproar in that community. He is just trying to be coy about it. THAT DOESN'T MAKE HIM A GENIUS...IT MAKES HIM A SNAKE IN THE GRASS!!

pirate4state
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
This is so much fun! :devil:

FbCoachB40
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
If he's the best applicant, then he should have been hired. If he's not, then there are other things to consider.

What was the teaching field and were there any QUALITY applicants that fit into it?

Were there good applicants that got VETOED by the principal or had RED FLAGS when calling references?

Were the top applicants a year or two away from retirement?

Was the applicant pool diluted by the fact that it is MAY and the QUALITY coaches have already found jobs?

Was he instructed to hire from within so the school could hire in a different teaching field?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, so I will reserve judgement. I do, however, know for a fact that it is VERY difficult to hire good people after mid-April. I'm not defending him, but I ain't condemning him either. Just letting parents and fans know that there are MANY factors that come into play when hiring.

cookiemonster
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
As an AD you have to treat each sport fair not equal. As long as they are getting the same opportunities as their competition this set up is fair.

UPanIN
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Im not going to say what school and use generic names to protect the innocent, but here is what happened. HFC/AD quits. School decides to name baseball coach, coach Smith, the new AD/bsb coach. Coach Smith calls in his 2nd assistant baseball guy, coach Newby. He tells Newby that he has been assigned head football coach. Newby replies, I have no football experience and only played in jr hi. Coach Smith says, "Oh it will be fine. You are a great baseball coach, you know how to motivate kids and work with parents. Besides, you will get an extra stipend. It will only be half of your baseball stipend, but its still extra money. You were my college roomate/baseball team mate, we will make it work. We have lots of footballers so you can have 3 teams. On top of that, ill give you 2 assistants, so each of you can have your own team." August comes and AD Smith calls a meeting w/all coaches. He decides that since offseason builds athletes, everyone would go through offseason and inseason practices wouldnt start till after school. School starts and during the period the guys lift weights on Mon./Wed./Fri and work on running the bases and foul poles, take grounders and BP on Tues/Thurs. (This is EVERYONE, not just baseball) However, on game days, the football guys can skip out. If they have a road game, they go jump on the bus. If they have a home game, they go to the field and make sure everything is ready for the game. The players have to mow the field, paint the lines and set up the yd markers and goal post pads. Football cruises along, team wins a few, gets 3rd and goes to playoffs. When the coaches come back from Christmas, coach Smith calls another meeting. He decides that baseball is a little behind schedule so when baseball season comes, they are going to start practice during the athletic period. The 75 or so football only players will get 1 coach and they can go run around and play flag football or something. The last straw was that coach Smith said that NO football could be out of the closet until baseball playoffs were over. I just cant believe how unfair this guy is. What do you think?

What a bunch of crock:rolleyes:

TheDOCTORdre
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
this thread is a waste of time...there's no crying in baseball

Bull Butter
05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
For a moment there, I thought it was Robstown;)

zebrablue2
05-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
For a moment there, I thought it was Robstown;)

to this day I still love that pig:D

LH Panther Mom
05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Didn't we have this conversation not too long ago? Oh wait...that was "moving baseball to fall". :doh:

Sounds like someone has issues with the football program and needs to suck it up!

OldBison75
05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
My simple answer is this:

If this is Navasota that is being referenced, the situation involved the head basketball coach and he was not the AD. The person chosen to fill the basketball job has little basketball coaching experience compared to others on the staff. He is well liked by the kids, the school administration, and the community. If I could place a guess right now, he will be the head FB coach and AD here someday. Was his getting the position the right choice, it is too early to tell. I know that there is at least one other on staff coach that could have taken over the program and, in my opinion, been successful. I also know that this change has caused some hard feelings and that is not good for the overall athletic program. However, I think that replacing a coach like Donald Wesley, a great man and coach, is most times a no win situation. Feelings will be hurt and this sounds like what is described here.

The coach that I referred to that could have taken over is a fine man and a christian man that has only the good of the kids and the program at heart. I am sure he is hurt by not getting the promotion, but I am also sure that he will continue to work hard and his input and love of the game will continue. He will still be a major part of the basketball program at Navasota.

navscanmaster
05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
My simple answer is this:

If this is Navasota that is being referenced, the situation involved the head basketball coach and he was not the AD. The person chosen to fill the basketball job has little basketball coaching experience compared to others on the staff. He is well liked by the kids, the school administration, and the community. If I could place a guess right now, he will be the head FB coach and AD here someday. Was his getting the position the right choice, it is too early to tell. I know that there is at least one other on staff coach that could have taken over the program and, in my opinion, been successful. I also know that this change has caused some hard feelings and that is not good for the overall athletic program. However, I think that replacing a coach like Donald Wesley, a great man and coach, is most times a no win situation. Feelings will be hurt and this sounds like what is described here.

The coach that I referred to that could have taken over is a fine man and a christian man that has only the good of the kids and the program at heart. I am sure he is hurt by not getting the promotion, but I am also sure that he will continue to work hard and his input and love of the game will continue. He will still be a major part of the basketball program at Navasota.

Ditto.:clap:

Bull Butter
05-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
to this day I still love that pig:D

Thank You.

For those that are unaware, that's Ralph the Swimming Pig from the old Aquarena Springs:)

jdawg2012
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
:confused:

XMan
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Didn't we have this conversation not too long ago? Oh wait...that was "moving baseball to fall".

Sounds like someone has issues with the football program and needs to suck it up!

Just like to stir the pot as I am a self proclaimed baseball advocate. Call me Quanell X of the diamond, well, actually dont do that. I just hate that baseball at the 3a and lower levels gets screwed on a consistent basis. The school districts do not support baseball from the superintendents to the school boards, to the ADs and some of the baseball coaches themselves. Until parents wake up and demand better for their sons, nothing will change. Hiring unqualified baseball coaches, no offseason baseball time, offseason workouts before baseball practice and the like are just some of the issues. I just use this as my forum to try to promote 3a baseball and find ways to make it better.