PDA

View Full Version : NFL takes unacceptable risk with NY Super Bowl

IrishTex
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
By Mike Florio

When I first heard the NFL was seriously considering staging an open-air Super Bowl in a cold-weather city, I was intrigued. This isn't the same stuffy, stodgy NFL that ventures outside the box only with an engraved itinerary and a six-pack of Sherpas. The NFL is willing to take risks and do something different.

But there's a fine line between being edgy and going loco. After further deliberation, the NFL's decision to hold a Super Bowl in a cold-weather climate with a stadium that has no lid makes us wonder whether plenty of people have lost their marbles.

The Super Bowl is the single greatest day on the American sports calendar. It needs to be protected from circumstances that can make the experience something other than super.

Any of you who have ever stood for three-plus hours in single-digit temperatures for an NFL game know exactly what I'm talking about. Folks familiar with going to outdoor games in cold-weather cities understand how to properly prepare for multiple hours in the hostile elements.

Continued (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-05-25/nfl-takes-unacceptable-risk-new-york-super-bowl)

BreckTxLonghorn
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Somebody call the wah-mbulance.

If this idea was in place when the Super Bowls started we wouldn't have the Ice Bowl. It's the biggest game of the year played in one of (if not the most, was Jerryworld 1.6B?) the most expensive stadiums representing the biggest city. If it was played outdoors in Minnesota or Green Bay, I'd understand the argument. But its New York; get over it.

EDIT: I'm a moron and forgot that the Ice Bowl was played before the Super Bowl, as it was just the NFL Championship before the NFL/AFL game. I still think the cold game for a Super Bowl in NY is a good idea though.

crzyjournalist03
05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Somebody call the wah-mbulance.

If this idea was in place when the Super Bowls started we wouldn't have the Ice Bowl. It's the biggest game of the year played in one of (if not the most, was Jerryworld 1.6B?) the most expensive stadiums representing the biggest city. If it was played outdoors in Minnesota or Green Bay, I'd understand the argument. But its New York; get over it.

It's actually East Rutherford, New Jersey.

And as a fan, I want the Super Bowl to give both teams their best shot to perform at their best. I just don't find the idea of a slushy, turnover-prone Super Bowl to be that appealing.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

And as a fan, I want the Super Bowl to give both teams their best shot to perform at their best. I just don't find the idea of a slushy, turnover-prone Super Bowl to be that appealing.

You are correct; that's why I said representing :).

Don't think that East Rutherford is so far away though. It's less than 7 miles from the Meadowlands to Manhattan; less than 10 to central park. From the New Jersey turnpike, you can see the Meadowlands to your left, and the skyline to your right.

Jerryworld to Dallas, however, is 20 miles.

JasperDog94
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

And as a fan, I want the Super Bowl to give both teams their best shot to perform at their best. I just don't find the idea of a slushy, turnover-prone Super Bowl to be that appealing. Agreed. This idea came up after 9/11 and I thought it would fade with time.

I guess not.:rolleyes:

Keith7
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
They should have the super bowl at a non-NFL, warm weather stadium each year.. This isn't the MLB All Star game, this if for the world championship.

Blackcat1954
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
It's all politics

Keith7
05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
It's all politics

4). No political/religious topics. (2 points)

Political topics involving American political parties and their current candidates for office (or those already elected and/or currently serving) and religious topics are forbidden. Both of these generally invoke problems and sometimes cause hard feelings.

:wave:

IHStangFan
05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
after a little looking, the average temps for the month of Feb. in New Jersey are as follows:

High: 40's
Low: 20's

:thinking:

Old Tiger
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
after a little looking, the average temps for the month of Feb. in New Jersey are as follows:

High: 40's
Low: 20's

:thinking: Yeah but thats when that area gets most of its snow also.

I hope there is a blizzard the weekend of the super bowl.

Phil C
05-26-2010, 07:24 AM
We don't need another ice bowl game. Now if they had an astrodome type stadium that is something else. The thing most annoying about the ice bowl game is that the heaters on the Cowboys side went out while the Packers were able to keep warmer in the critical part of the second half. The officials told them they could all go over to the other side to the heaters but of course that was not acceptable. Coach Landry should have taken the team off the field until they were fixed and of course refused to play if a penalty was involved. Of course since we lost is probably the main reason I say this.

Farmersfan
05-26-2010, 08:46 AM
The thing that I don't think most people realize about this decision is now it opens the door to a whole lot of teams who can now ask for a future Superbowl. They can no longer deny Greenbay, Chicago, Detroit, Philly and many, many other areas on the basis of weather. I wonder if the NFL will have a contingency plan in place in case the worst scenerio happens in NY? No chance a Superbowl could be played in New Jersey during a winter storm like the one they had this past February.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Yeah but thats when that area gets most of its snow also.

I hope there is a blizzard the weekend of the super bowl.

The last time there was any precipitation(sp) - which I believes means rain or snow, as there was no snow data - on the day of the Super Bowl in New Jersey was in '06, when Super Bowl XL was played. It was a whopping .31 of an inch.

Data retrieved from almanac.com

BILLYFRED0000
05-26-2010, 10:18 AM
for 50 years the nfl was played in the elements. It is still played in the elements for most colleges and all highschools. Thank you for bring the game back outdoors like it always belonged.

rholl
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Farmersfan has it right....Superbowl 50 Washington DC....now that they have effectively removed "warmer weather" venue from criteria...Lambeau...start your marketing campaign now!!!

Phil C
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
The comedians and Saturday Night Live will have enough material from this over the next several years.

eagles_victory
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
The last time there was any precipitation(sp) - which I believes means rain or snow, as there was no snow data - on the day of the Super Bowl in New Jersey was in '06, when Super Bowl XL was played. It was a whopping .31 of an inch.

Data retrieved from almanac.com Doesnt mean it can't happen.

Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
for 50 years the nfl was played in the elements. It is still played in the elements for most colleges and all highschools. Thank you for bring the game back outdoors like it always belonged. You can't compare the Super Bowl to anything else the Super Bowl is just as much of a show as it is a football game with how much money is put into everything that surrounds the game. I don't love that but that is how it is and to me that has a lot to do with the weather. What about the huge halftime show every year there is millions of dollars put in to that is Elvis (or whatever performer from the 50's 60's or 70's they get that year) going to play in a driving snow storm if that were to occur.

Farmersfan
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Storm of February 2006

Record-breaking snowfall blanketed New York City on February 11 and 12, 2006. Measurements taken in Central Park showed that 26.9 inches had accumulated by the storm's end. The snow fell for over 24 hours, and meterologists classified the storm as a nor'easter with winds about 20-30 mph.

President's Day Storm 2003

Nearly two feet of snow blanketed the New York City area following the President's Day storm of Feb. 17, 2003, which claimed 42 lives nationwide, stranded thousands of travelers, and cost the City $20 million.

Blizzard of 1996

Dumping more than 20 inches of snow in Central Park, the blizzard of Jan. 7-8, 1996, marked the second biggest snowstorm in New York City history. With winds gusting to more than 50 miles an hour, the powerful nor'easter caused widespread power outages, scores of fatalities and $1 billion in damages from Washington, D.C. to Boston.

Read the full stories here:
http://www.nyc.gov/cgi-bin/misc/pfprinter.cgi?action=print&sitename=OEM&p=1274904309000

Old Tiger
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
New Jersey sucks and is a dump.

BILLYFRED0000
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Doesnt mean it can't happen.

You can't compare the Super Bowl to anything else the Super Bowl is just as much of a show as it is a football game with how much money is put into everything that surrounds the game. I don't love that but that is how it is and to me that has a lot to do with the weather. What about the huge halftime show every year there is millions of dollars put in to that is Elvis (or whatever performer from the 50's 60's or 70's they get that year) going to play in a driving snow storm if that were to occur.

NO that is the NFL making money. The superbowl is a championship football game that happens to have a big side show attached to it.