PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Roy Oswalt to leave the Astros?

IrishTex
05-25-2010, 06:00 AM
I think this would be a great time for him to leave the Astros and get with a team that has a chance for the playoffs. Could the Rangers be a possibility?

http://www.blogcdn.com/mlb.fanhouse.com/media/2010/05/oswalt.jpg

According to Fanhouse, they somewhat agree.

"The Texas Rangers seem to be the most logical choice for Oswalt on the surface. He wouldn't be that far from Houston and his family, and he could be the piece that puts the Rangers over the top in the AL West. Oswalt could also serve as a mentor to a young Rangers rotation."

If the Rangers could work a deal, that would be a tremendous benefit for the Rangers pitching staff. Hmmm, I bet Nolan could pull that deal off.

Link (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/05/24/hit-and-run-the-oswalt-landscape/)

crzyjournalist03
05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm sure that the Rangers have the talent to pull it off, but nothing's going to happen until early July at the earliest due to the ownership situation. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Texas shies away from Houston's asking price considering the salary that Oswalt would command.

Does a package like Rich Harden (to offset some salary) Chris Davis, Blake Beavan, and Engel Beltre interest the Astros? I have a feeling that Houston is going to demand one of the Rangers top prospects like Martin Perez or Justin Smoak, and if they do that, the deal won't happen.

Maroon87
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Roy O is the man, but I hate seeing him pitch his arse off for an awful team. Hopefully the Astros can swindle somebody out of some top-notch prospects.

Blackcat1954
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Astros can't score runs for him

Super_R
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
Astros can't score runs for him

They can't score runs period!

Maroon87
05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Super_R
They can't score runs period!

Except when they play St. Louis, oddly enough.:thinking:

eagles_victory
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I am not a huge Roy Oswalt fan but Texas could use him Feldman has been a disappointment this year with an era just south of 6. Harden has really. Mr. five and dive himself Rich Hardin has an ERA above 5 and while Wilson, Lewis, and lately Holland have been pretty solid that is not a playoff rotation.

The Rangers do have a great farm system but nothing is ever guaranteed in baseball so sometimes when things set up for you to make a run you just have to jump so I hope if the right deal comes up the Rangers make a move for a starter even if it is trading with the hated Lastros

SWMustang
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Does a package like Rich Harden (to offset some salary) Chris Davis, Blake Beavan, and Engel Beltre interest the Astros? I have a feeling that Houston is going to demand one of the Rangers top prospects like Martin Perez or Justin Smoak, and if they do that, the deal won't happen.

Houston's gonna want some top flight prospects and someone will deal them for Roy. If the Rangers don't wanna pay the price then don't come calling. the whole reason the Astros are in the situation they're in is because they were always buying at the trade deadline and having to give up prospects.

big daddy russ
05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Put everyone except Pence and Bourn on the market and stock up on young, cheap talent. The only players on the everyday roster who should be starting in the majors are those two, Berkman, and (surprisingly) Jeff Keppinger. That's a mere four of eight, and none of them are exactly MVP candidates.

Pmoney
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Put everyone except Pence and Bourn on the market and stock up on young, cheap talent. The only players on the everyday roster who should be starting in the majors are those two, Berkman, and (surprisingly) Jeff Keppinger. That's a mere four of eight, and none of them are exactly MVP candidates.

I agree with everything you said...We need to go out and get young players that will develop into great everyday players...I only wish the Nationals GM was dumb enough to trade Strasberg for Oswalt

eagles_victory
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
I agree with everything you said...We need to go out and get young players that will develop into great everyday players...I only wish the Nationals GM was dumb enough to trade Strasberg for Oswalt lmao noone in the world is that dumb.

eagles_victory
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Houston's gonna want some top flight prospects and someone will deal them for Roy. If the Rangers don't wanna pay the price then don't come calling Im not 100 percent sure but I dont think its crzys decision.

SWMustang
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Im not 100 percent sure but I dont think its crzys decision.

speaking theoretically...

crzyjournalist03
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Houston's gonna want some top flight prospects and someone will deal them for Roy. If the Rangers don't wanna pay the price then don't come calling. the whole reason the Astros are in the situation they're in is because they were always buying at the trade deadline and having to give up prospects.

And if it were any other team than the Rangers, the players that I listed would be 3 of the top 10 prospects that team has. But because the Rangers system is so deep, other teams hold that against Texas and want more in return.

Houston might get a slightly better return somewhere else if a team gets desperate, and perhaps the Rangers value Oswalt enough to include one of their top prospects (doubt it though).

If the Astros make the trade I proposed above, the national consensus would probably be that the Astros got fleeced. But if a team like the Dodgers had those Rangers prospects and Houston made the same deal with them, the consensus would be that Houston got a lot of talent back for Oswalt.

JasperDog94
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I may be wrong, but I just don't see the Astros making a trade unless they get at least 2 top prospects in return. Maybe even 3.

SWMustang
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I may be wrong, but I just don't see the Astros making a trade unless they get at least 2 top prospects in return. Maybe even 3.

heck yea - you can hold people over a barrel if you have pitching to trade.

crzyjournalist03
05-27-2010, 10:32 AM
heck yea - you can hold people over a barrel if you have pitching to trade.

true, but you can also end up like the Blue Jays last summer and end up stuck with the pitcher and have to deal him in the offseason for less prospects than you were offered during the summer.