PDA

View Full Version : best of 3 series vs a one-game playoff - softball

Footballhudini
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
been talking about this on the 2a forum all night

out of the two playoff possibilities, which one do you think advances the better team more often than not?

Emerson1
05-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Best of 3.

If the "better" team plays their worst game of the year in the first game, they have 2 more games to make up for it.

Same for baseball. I remember everyone tried to get Forney in a 1 game series in hopes that our Ace would have a bad game because our 1, 2 and 3 were usually better then a teams #1 in the early rounds.

coxjj
05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Pretty simple to me ... If you have a choice to play a 1-game or 3-game series and you pick 1 game, then you feel you have a better chance of winning 1 game instead of 2. Now the reasons may vary, but the choice is clear.

Footballhudini
05-25-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks guys

i need as much feedback/honest opinions as possible, so keep them coming

Reds fan
05-25-2010, 12:35 AM
It is simply more difficult for the "weaker" team to pull off an upset twice in a 3 game series.

Reds fan
05-25-2010, 12:35 AM
It is simply more difficult for the "weaker" team to pull off an upset twice in a 3 game series.

Old Tiger
05-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Best of 3.

If the "better" team plays their worst game of the year in the first game, they have 2 more games to make up for it.
this

pirate4state
05-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
It is simply more difficult for the "weaker" team to pull off an upset twice in a 3 game series. Exactly. Everyone can have an "off" night, but a good/great/better team will not let it happen twice.

kaorder1999
05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
if you are that much worse than the other team you play a 1 game series. If you are clearly the better team, you want a 3 game series

Footballhudini
05-25-2010, 10:34 AM
i knew the answer was obvious, but some of these advanced-homer fans on another site had me second-guessing myself.

Footballhudini
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
i like how as soon as i post the results of the survey on the 2a site the '1 game-playoff' immediately gets another vote.

coxjj
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Just curious ... what are some of the arguments for the 1-game series advancing the better team?

LHexPlayer
05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
The point in playing a 3 game series or a series in general for baseball or softball comes down to pitching. A team may have one very good pitcher and win the one game playoff. But the better team with the deepest pitching rotation usually wins the series. When you play a series of games you have to display all of your players mostly through pitching to win the series. This is why in baseball and softball a 3 or more game series is best.

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
so two out three is better...............than we should have a two out of three series for the state title.

Footballhudini
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
i think in general, the more games you play, the more games the better team will win.

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
i think in general, the more games you play, the more games the better team will win.

its like that saying we could play them ten times and were going to win nine times......

coxjj
05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
so two out three is better...............than we should have a two out of three series for the state title.

Totally agree there. Of course, 3 out of 5 is better ... and 4 out of 7 is better. Line has to be drawn somewhere.

But I do think the state tournament should be 2-out-of-3 ... guess the logistics of all of that make it not the most doable. That would likely mean spreading it over 2 weeks (as 6 possible games in one weekend is a bit much) - not to mention that you have 5 classifications to decide. So, 2 trips to Austin then or the State Semifinal series played like the prior playoff games at a neutral/agreed upon site. Just saying, I can see why it is like it is.

kaorder1999
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
honestly...i dont like how the UIL allowsd the three game series but then doesnt allow the series at the State Tourney. Makes NO SENSE to me!

Footballhudini
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
i feel that egional champions shouldn't necessarily have to play it all out in one weekend. look at football - and they don't even play in austin. i think that the location for these games should be relative to the location of these cities. it's not fair how some would be better off flying to austin and others would just drive about 20 minutes or so.

I also think it's a joke that a district champion can play in as little as four games and win region, while a 2nd or 3rd seeded team can play as many as 15 games before winning region. The fact that the uil allows coaches to determine how many games are played is ridiculous, but it is what it is.

LHexPlayer
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
i feel that egional champions shouldn't necessarily have to play it all out in one weekend. look at football - and they don't even play in austin. i think that the location for these games should be relative to the location of these cities. it's not fair how some would be better off flying to austin and others would just drive about 20 minutes or so.

I also think it's a joke that a district champion can play in as little as four games and win region, while a 2nd or 3rd seeded team can play as many as 15 games before winning region. The fact that the uil allows coaches to determine how many games are played is ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Good points.