PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Valor

ronwx5x
05-24-2010, 08:28 AM
The number of people who find it convenient, necessary, ego fulfilling or whatever to claim wartime service that they did not actually participate in seems to be a growing phenomena. Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut Attorney General, is just the latest in a series of high profile liars. There is even a website dedicated to exposing just such lies, http://reportstolenvalor.org/

When Vietnam vets returned home, there were no parades, no displays of gratitude by an adoring public and most just settled in to a normal life and tried to forget the controversy their service caused. While there were reports of actual harrasment, most returnees were just met with silence.

So now Vietnam service is being used as a tool to speak to what a patriotic person a vet is. I even remember people who cried foul that John McCain was called a hero for being shot down. What people forgot was the suffering he endured and his refusal to go home before his fellow POW's were released. Now that makes him a hero in my eyes, not just for "getting shot down".

There have been attempts by the American public to make up for the disdain Vietnam vets were subjected to, but in my opinion too little too late. That was a terrible time in our country's history. I for one, prefer to just place it on a back burner and live the rest of my life in peace. I'm just glad people have become aware of the things given up by vets and hold them in the honorable position they deserve.

Sorry about the soapbox, but sometimes I get riled up!

IrishTex
05-24-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm a Viet Nam era vet myself.

I never went to Viet Nam, but I did volunteer for it. Apparantly because I was a family man, the Army sent others instead of me. At least that's what the Army said.

I was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division in Ft. Riley Kansas in 1971 just as the Big Red One was coming home from Viet Nam. I never actually went into combat myself, but was able to meet some very brave soldiers at Irwin Army Hospital at Fort Riley. I guess the bottom line here is the good Lord was watching over me and sent me to Germany twice as opposed to Viet Nam. I've lived most of my adult life wondering what would have happened had I been deployed to Nam.

All I can say is, I did my best, and at least I was not a defector to Canada with a burnt draft card. At least I was able and willing to go. A small pay back to my country.

ronwx5x
05-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I'm a Viet Nam era vet myself.

I never went to Viet Nam, but I did volunteer for it. Apparantly because I was a family man, the Army sent others instead of me. At least that's what the Army said.

I was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division in Ft. Riley Kansas in 1971 just as the Big Red One was coming home from Viet Nam. I never actually went into combat myself, but was able to meet some very brave soldiers at Irwin Army Hospital at Fort Riley. I guess the bottom line here is the good Lord was watching over me and sent me to Germany twice as opposed to Viet Nam. I've lived most of my adult life wondering what would have happened had I been deployed to Nam.

All I can say is, I did my best, and at least I was not a defector to Canada with a burnt draft card. At least I was able and willing to go. A small pay back to my country.

And I assume you have never tried to "embellish" your service time. Service members don't generally get to select where they are assigned. Even though we filled out a "dream sheet" selecting a preferred assignment there was no expection that it would happen. You received Germany, I didn't, at least not until I had spent a year in beautiful southeast Asia. That's just the luck of the draw and no one needs to feel bad about it.

I'm not complaining about my service time, just complaining about folks who feel the necessity to lie about what they did. In later years I have been thanked many times for my service and actually feel it was just something (most) people of my generation did, and nothing special.

And by the way, thanks for your service.

IrishTex
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree Ron, there is nothing more cowardly to me, than for someone to claim something that wasn't the truth.

To me, my military service was invaluable, and I'm thankful I got to serve.

And thanks for your service too.

LE Dad
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Even though we filled out a "dream sheet" selecting a preferred assignment there was no expection that it would happen. Dreams.... I had Pensicola, Jacksonville and San Diego.... ended up in Norfolk and thought I landed in hell for a bit, but after a few months found it was not nearly as bad as I first thought.

Kind of hard to over state things in the Navy. The main thing is "take care of the ship so the ship can take care of you".

ronwx5x
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Dreams.... I had Pensicola, Jacksonville and San Diego.... ended up in Norfolk and thought I landed in hell for a bit, but after a few months found it was not nearly as bad as I first thought.

Kind of hard to over state things in the Navy. The main thing is "take care of the ship so the ship can take care of you". And thanks to you also! Mine was as a volunteer for SEA, but Thailand. I suppose that's why I wound up at a base in Vietnam where we were not allowed to go outside the perimeter due to Charlie. No round eyed women, no trouble to get into either! Took incoming the very first night I was there. Sort of a welcome for new guys. Being a flyboy had it's perks, though, including an air conditioned room, 4 hot meals a day and only had to go in harm's way about 1 1/2 hours per day!