PDA

View Full Version : Just some 3A playoff talk

Old Cardinal
05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Congrats to Needville for their win over LaGrange.

Bridge City beat Huffman in three this weekend....I know that they took out Needville 5-4 in a warm up game. They were a good team for Needville to hone their skills against before taking on LG.

I see Giddings has made it to the "sweet sixteen" this weekend. I had kind of wrote them off when Robinson(Waco area) beat them 14-4. They must have re-grouped and came roaring back toward the end of the season-Congrats to them also.

Spread It Out
05-23-2010, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into Giddings' performance against Robinson.. The Buffs are peaking at the right time and I wouldn't bet against them the rest of the way.

Footballhudini
05-24-2010, 04:05 AM
giddings won't lose another game this year

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
giddings won't lose another game this year

Bold statement but you could very well be right.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
giddings won't lose another game this year jumping off the Robstown bandwagon?

Old Cardinal
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
You Giddings folks have a lot of spunk....I would think its a toss-up at best against Needville.

I see you tied West(still a top 4 team out of Region I)...a tie of 6-6. That West team only lost to Waco Robinson by a score of 2-1.

It will be interesting since Needville edged out LG, as to what happens in Region IV.

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
You Giddings folks have a lot of spunk....I would think its a toss-up at best against Needville.

I see you tied West(still a top 4 team out of Region I)...a tie of 6-6. That West team only lost to Waco Robinson by a score of 2-1.

It will be interesting since Needville edged out LG, as to what happens in Region IV.

Giddings pitched their #3 against Robinson in an almost meaningless game. Coaches never put much stock into tournament games, those games are to get people in and see how much depth you have in certain areas. Needville would get hammered by Giddings right now, mark my words.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2010, 03:56 PM

It will be interesting since Needville edged out LG, as to what happens in Region IV. Needville is the weakest of the 4 teams left. Robstown, Giddings and Boerne have the pitching and hitters to win it all.

buff4life
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM

You mean a toss-up for what location Needville gets swept at??:D :D

Old Cardinal
05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Things are salty down in Region III.

All four teams left have been ranked from #1 to #7 all year

Jasper vs Bridge City
Orangefield vs Waco Robinson

the "sweet sixteen" are an elite group 16 out of 180+ 3A teams.

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I agree with you. Region III is a very salty region, along with Region I. I believe Region III and Regions IV are loaded maybe as heavily as ever before.

XMan
05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
OC will consider region 3 salty until BC is eliminated. After that, his opinion will change greatly. Giddings is very talented and could win it all if they continue to play well. The golden triangle folks have a hard time thinking anyone other than gt teams know anything about baseball. lol

Rabid Cougar
05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
West and Robinson in the Championship game.

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
XMAN;

Actually it is kind of tough in Region III to get this far. Carthage last years State Champion was beaten by Jasper....It seems Jasper, Carthage and some other most always win state through the years.

Actually Bridge City and Orangefield are in the "sweet sixteen" yet West Orange-Stark (also 21-3A third team) was beat out this weekend by Orangefield deep in the playoffs. Yes, I am proud of the accomplishments of the Region III teams, and there is empirical evidence to prove they more than hold their on.

Bridge City has done quite well in a rebuilding year....They start 5 Sophomores and Hayden Guidry a Freshman pitched the deciding game again Huffman this weekend. Yes I am proud of the teams like BC and Orangefield who are nearing the top of the heap: are you proud of your team? where are they at this time in the brackets?

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Congrats to Needville for their win over LaGrange.

Bridge City beat Huffman in three this weekend....I know that they took out Needville 5-4 in a warm up game. They were a good team for Needville to hone their skills against before taking on LG.

I see Giddings has made it to the "sweet sixteen" this weekend. I had kind of wrote them off when Robinson(Waco area) beat them 14-4. They must have re-grouped and came roaring back toward the end of the season-Congrats to them also.

Your comment about Giddings that you kind of wrote them off has to be the most ignorant statement of 3A baseball this year, ignorant meaning you have no idea of the talent on that team. My money is still on Giddings winning it all, yes they would beat Needville pretty handily.Needville is nowhere near their level, just my 2 cents.

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Sorry I seem ignorant to you....
I guess you are saying that Giddings sweeps Robstown with no problems and the remaining of the other two teams-- in Region IV?

Guess, I am ignorant, Giddings beat Bellville the # 3 team in their on District to get in the final four.

I would assume that the other teams left in the "sweet sixteen" Bracket in Region IV, will make a game of it with Giddings or anyone else.

LE Dad
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
:D

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry I seem ignorant to you....
I guess you are saying that Giddings sweeps Robstown with no problems and the remaining of the other two teams-- in Region IV?

Guess, I am ignorant, Giddings beat Bellville the # 3 team in their on District to get in the final four.

I would assume that the other teams left in the "sweet sixteen" Bracket in Region IV, will make a game of it with Giddings or anyone else.

Have not seen Boerne play this year however I do feel Giddings will take care of Robstown and if they end up playing Needville in the regional final they will be in Austin. Giddings has pitching, defense and possibly the best 1 thru 4 hitters in 3A baseball. I have seen so called shutdown pitchers and Masek is maybe the best I have ever seen because of his other 2 pitches( Changeup and his Major League curve). If you would have seen Giddings play this year, you would not have made that statement. Wrote them off.

Spread It Out
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Hook, how does Masek compare to what Homer was able to do in High School? Obviously Homer threw a lot harder and was a little more dominate in 3A but Masek seems to be a very polished pitcher for only a senior in high school.

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Hook, how does Masek compare to what Homer was able to do in High School? Obviously Homer threw a lot harder and was a little more dominate in 3A but Masek seems to be a very polished pitcher for only a senior in high school.

The main difference between the two in my eyes is Homer was more of a power pitcher with his great fastball, Masek on the other hand has a really good fastball 90-92 but his breaking pitch is 12 to 6 and it looks just like a fastball coming end that drops to the dirt. Trey also has a great changeup, when you can throw 3 pitches like he can in high school you become almost unhittable. Not saying he is unhittable, just have not seen any team put together multiable hit's against him. From what I have heard from scout's is his size is his only knock but knowing him what he does not have in size he makes up with heart. He will be very a successfully pitcher, also like Homer in high school he benefit's greatly from having a really solid catcher.

gtownfan
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Have not seen Boerne play this year however I do feel Giddings will take care of Robstown and if they end up playing Needville in the regional final they will be in Austin. Giddings has pitching, defense and possibly the best 1 thru 4 hitters in 3A baseball. I have seen so called shutdown pitchers and Masek is maybe the best I have ever seen because of his other 2 pitches( Changeup and his Major League curve). If you would have seen Giddings play this year, you would not have made that statement. Wrote them off.

Hook, Thanks for talking nice about Giddings! It's not too often LA Grange and Giddings fans have anything nice to say about each others team.

Was hoping the Buffs/Leps would meet in the Regional Finals, like Bellville and Giddings did last year. Was pulling for ya'll.

Also sad to see your football stadium ain't getting updated soon. Take a look at the mess at ours right now - www.leecountylive.com, left hand column under Other News!

gtownfan
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Hold on, not all those are "Giddings Folks" with all the spunk! Most are fans from teams we've played or others who watched us.

At this point in the playoffs, the competition has gotten tighter and any of the 16 can put together a run.

I like the Buffs to reach the finals again. Like someone said, 5-9 in the order are going to be the key for them. They did good against Mueller the other day, the first time through the order, making him work deep in the count and getting a couple base hits off him to wear him out for the top of the order in the 3rd. 5-9 need to make the other teams pitcher work and get on base some and let the top 4 do their thing.

If they can do that through the playoffs, the Buffs will do okay!

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
In Region III it's-- BCs Matt Hicks a Senior, he was instrumental in bringing BC to the final four as a Freshman. Will pitch for ULL
Orangefield has Jace Statum--headed to Division I U of TX
A Collingswood Uth was a pickup from a bigger HS... for the Robinson state run. Going to North Carolina to pitch.

Jasper has--Sowell-- a fire-baller; when he is- in the grove- that guy is one of the best in Texas HS ball...its a top college but I can't remember at this moment.

Who are the others schools top Pitchers and where are they headed for college ball, in Region IV?

Spread It Out
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
How hard does Sowell throw? And, although Bellville lost out last round, Bellville has Mueller who is head to Rice in the fall.

gtownfan
05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Things are salty down in Region III.

All four teams left have been ranked from #1 to #7 all year

Jasper vs Bridge City
Orangefield vs Waco Robinson

the "sweet sixteen" are an elite group 16 out of 180+ 3A teams.

Region 3 does look tough (not looking forward to the move back to region 3 in any sport)!

I'm picking: Giddings, Pleasant Grove, West and Jasper (although anyone could make it out of Region 3)!

Giddings/Pleasant Grove rematch in the Semi Finals???

gtownfan
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
In Region III it's-- BCs Matt Hicks a Senior, he was instrumental in bringing BC to the final four as a Freshman. Will pitch for ULL
Orangefield has Jace Statum--headed to Division I U of TX
A Collingswood Uth was a pickup from a bigger HS... for the Robinson state run. Going to North Carolina to pitch.

Jasper has--Sowell-- a fire-baller; when he is- in the grove- that guy is one of the best in Texas HS ball...its a top college but I can't remember at this moment.

Who are the others schools top Pitchers and where are they headed for college ball, in Region IV?

Masek from Giddings going to Texas Tech.

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Sowell is around 92 mph Throws a hard fast curve a lot of the time.

Hicks can hit 94 in drills but throws a fastball at 92......smart and deceptive, years of National level select ball.

Statum is a complete pitcher good enough for D-!

The Robinson one is a pick-up that I have not seen. Good stats this year.

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2010, 05:40 PM
yet West Orange-Stark (also 21-3A third team) was beat out this weekend by Orangefield deep in the playoffs.

Sooooo...you're confusing me! In the SETX post, it sounds like you're giving kudos to WOS but the RIV post sounds like a slam on Giddings. Both ended up where they are with the same scenario. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Not trying to confuse, just stating what happened in each case--no slam intended for any team--just passing on some facts that some might not have known.

It is an indication of strong Districts when they can get three teams fairly deep in the brackets.

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Not trying to confuse, just stating what happened in each case--no slam intended for any team--just passing on some facts that some might not have known.

It is an indication of strong Districts when they can get three teams fairly deep in the brackets.
Okay, gotcha! (Sometimes I'm easily confused. :D ) And I totally agree with the last part. :)

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 07:57 PM
A correction-- the pitcher from Robinson is Chad Hollingsworth,

IHStangFan
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I really don't know much about the Needville team this year....but I did find a stat or two that stuck out to me.

In the post season up until the La Grange game (as far forward as I can find stats) they were averaging 11.5 runs a game.

All info I can find says the Jays get Boerne next in Cuero? Is this accurate?

Boerne appears to be pretty tough. Info I am finding says they are 24-4 and have not lost in the postseason?

Good luck to both teams and GO JAYS!!

Old Cardinal
05-25-2010, 08:36 PM
To IH Stang fan:

I found some interesting info on this team.
They are a 4A drop-down from 27-4A. With a first year coach. Good record and some recognized players returning from the 4A ranks. They are 24-5.

This may be a sleeper sneaking in under the radar!

IHStangFan
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
To IH Stang fan:

They are a 4A drop-down from 27-4A. With a first year coach. Good record and some recognized players returning from the 4A ranks. They are 24-5.

This may be a sleeper sneaking in under the radar! That's kinda what I'm thinking/worried about OC!! LOL.

Appear to be pretty tough! Guess we'll see starting in a couple of days!

GO JAYS!

sinton66
05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I really don't know much about the Needville team this year....but I did find a stat or two that stuck out to me.

In the post season up until the La Grange game (as far forward as I can find stats) they were averaging 11.5 runs a game.

All info I can find says the Jays get Boerne next in Cuero? Is this accurate?

Boerne appears to be pretty tough. Info I am finding says they are 24-4 and have not lost in the postseason?

Good luck to both teams and GO JAYS!!

Take it from us, Boerne is the real deal.

IHStangFan
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Take it from us, Boerne is the real deal. It would appear that way. They certainly have been taking care of business! If I'm correct...they have not lost a single game in the postseason.

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
To IH Stang fan:

This may be a sleeper sneaking in under the radar!

Under the rader?...........Boerne high reopened after one year of being closed for remodeling...during that time all kids in Boerne attended 4A Champion High...with the reopening of BHS...kids had the choice of high school to attend... it is my understanding that 4-5 starters off a solid Champion team transfered to BHS.

Old Boerne high had a great baseball tradition...state champs when Longhorn hitter Moldenhauer was a soph..

NastySlot
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
here is an article from today's express-news...about boerne.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school_baseball/Boerne_pitchers_Boss_and_Ross_show_94895704.html

Be_Advised
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Under the rader?...........Boerne high reopened after one year of being closed for remodeling...during that time all kids in Boerne attended 4A Champion High...with the reopening of BHS...kids had the choice of high school to attend... it is my understanding that 4-5 starters off a solid Champion team transfered to BHS.

Old Boerne high had a great baseball tradition...state champs when Longhorn hitter Moldenhauer was a soph..

I remember seeing that Boerne team play Calallen. That Boerne team had some great players.

j_dog
05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
How hard does Sowell throw? ...
Does not appear to throw that hard. But batters sure do seem to miss a lot. His strike-out count seems to be pretty high. I think it was about two per inning in this last game.

hookandladder
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Does not appear to throw that hard. But batters sure do seem to miss a lot. His strike-out count seems to be pretty high. I think it was about two per inning in this last game.

If he is smooth and has good fundamentals it will look like he does not have good pop but radar gun will prove you wrong. My son does not look low 80's and he has been clocked at 87.

DDBooger
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
I remember seeing that Boerne team play Calallen. That Boerne team had some great players. We've had some great series with Boerne. I think several times the winner of that went on to win the state championship

Old Cardinal
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes for most of us across TX this team has been "under the Radar'.

Certainly this team would have been rated higher during the year had the Poll people been more aware of the strength of this newly minted team.

Old Cardinal
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, I checked and Boerne has never been ranked in any 3A poll; even the one that went down to #25.

They have stacked a good team: extracted from the other BIG school. They could well be tough.

NastySlot
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes, I checked and Boerne has never been ranked in any 3A poll; even the one that went down to #25.

They have stacked a good team: extracted from the other BIG school. They could well be tough.

What polls? THSBCA?

NastySlot
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.boernestar.com/articles/2010/05/26/sports/boerne/doc4bf6dc2c39410783022812.txt

Old Cardinal
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks that is a great article on Mr. Boss the Pitcher!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had checked THSBCA & also 3A baseball....
SInce then I found them ranked #5 out of 10 on Region IV Outlook.

Again NastyS. I appreciate your sending this link out for all to read.

NastySlot
05-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks that is a great article on Mr. Boss the Pitcher!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had checked THSBCA & also 3A baseball....
SInce then I found them ranked #5 out of 10 on Region IV Outlook.

Again NastyS. I appreciate your sending this link out for all to read.

no problem ....just sharing info. with another fan of the game.

SintonFan
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Boerne is stout.

Old Cardinal
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Can folks please share a little more about Needville and Robstown and also info on all four teams in Region II?

Pitchers? and where they will play college ball?