PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to the La Grange Seniors, especially the unrecognized but not unnoticed

Pudlugger
12-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Not all players on a team get to here the applause for a good run or tackle. They spend most of the time watching from the sidelines urging their fellow teammates on. These guys work hard all week in practice taking hits on the scout teams and going through the drills yet receive little recognition on Friday nights. Some of these kids have played since 7th grade while other, often more talented or larger players, dropped out because of two-a days, or the coach doesn’t like me, or there’s too much time involved or whatever reason. These unrecognized players give a great deal to the team effort. I have been fortunate to be able to watch the team practice the past two seasons and I’ve seen with my own eyes the hard work and effort these kids have put in for the good of the team. Why do they do it? Maybe to prove to themselves they can hang with the best, or maybe to make a father proud, to earn respect from friends and teammates, or perhaps just out of love for the game. When I think about what it means to belong to a team, win or lose I remember my favorite lines from Shakespeare’s Henry V speaking to his men on a cold damp field before going into a battle they would most surely lose. King Henry wanted to make his men understand the true meaning of men committing themselves together in battle, to be a "band of brothers":

St. Crispin’s Day Speech
Henry V to his soldiers

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

For the graduating seniors, most will never be putting on the pads again. You will remain loyal fans, returning often to sit in the stands and cheer for your team. You will always remember the time you spent with your "band of brothers" and as time passes those memories will take on more significance. Football is a metaphor for many things in life, some good such as meeting a challenge or attaining a goal, others not so good like fighting a war for your country, or surviving a personal tragedy. The lessons you have learned on the field of play will serve you well, so hold them close and cherish them. One day when you are an old man you will smile and know that "you were there" on that field of play, that you fought the fight.
I would like to say one more thing. Sometimes we forget the words of the Greatest Coach of All: The least will be first and the greatest will be last". Just because a player doesn’t make big plays on game day doesn’t mean he is not a member of the team. The starting team can not perform well without practicing against the opponents sets and formations with the scout team. Everyone contributes and deserves respect especially from the fortunate ones who gain the fans adoration and recognition under the lights on Friday nights. I would like to personally thank three young men who I have observed with my own eyes give their all on hot summer days and cold November evenings taking hits and running plays knowing that they would not get to start or get into the game early:
# 2 Played with heart for 6 years a real competitor and contributor
#83 came to La Grange from out of state, and made a real contribution to the team’s success
#75 came out for football his junior year and hung with kids playing since 7th grade, worked hard in practice and never expected more than just being on the team and respect from his teammates.

Good luck to all the graduating seniors, and welcome to the La Grange Leopard fan club.

p.s. Remember to become a booster member now!

<small>[ December 02, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

big daddy russ
12-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Great post, Pudlugger. I'd like to second that and tip my hat to everyone who stuck with it. It takes a lot of heart, desire and perseverance to gut out the long practices, hard work and long hours without the recognition. These guys do it year in, year out. Everyone goes to the same practices and endures the same drills. Some players were blessed with a great deal of talent, but the ones whom you may truly consider lucky were those blessed with a great deal of heart. My hat goes off to everyone who has endured and survived through the years. I couldn't have put it any better than this quote I once read:

Pudlugger:
...Some of these kids have played since 7th grade while other, often more talented or larger players, dropped out because of two-a days, or the coach doesn’t like me, or there’s too much time involved or whatever reason. These unrecognized players give a great deal to the team effort... Why do they do it? Maybe too prove to themselves they can hang with the best, or maybe to make a father proud, to earn respect from friends and teammates, or perhaps just out of love for the game...

oldbuff78
12-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Well put PUD, I always tell kids to watch the movie " RUDY", and then you will know what a contributon is.

Chief Woodman
12-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Great post Pud. I will ask our players to read this.

bohemian
12-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Nice job Pudlugger. As a father of a player who played every down on defensive I have to say those boys who only got a few snaps deserve so much more. They are the heart and soul of the team. Their play on game day might not show their value but those days leading to the game truly do. I just hope that their parents are very proud of them. I know with their help they made my son the player who he was.

PPHSfan
12-02-2002, 11:12 PM
That Shakespeare fellow sure does talk funny. :p

Just Kidding,LOL

Nice Post Pud

<small>[ December 02, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

sportsfan03
12-03-2002, 02:42 AM
Pud-Are there any unnoticed players (underclassmen) this year that will be key players next year in LG? I understand there might be several that are diamonds in the rough. Give me your view on them. think it might be worth it for me to drive down to watch a few games next year. I am a few hours away, but do love LG football.

sportsfan03
12-03-2002, 02:51 AM
I forgot to add - Nice post, I am sure they unrecognized team members do appreciate your words. I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Pudlugger
12-03-2002, 09:09 AM
sportsfan03:
Pud-Are there any unnoticed players (underclassmen) this year that will be key players next year in LG? I understand there might be several that are diamonds in the rough. Give me your view on them. think it might be worth it for me to drive down to watch a few games next year. I am a few hours away, but do love LG football.I am only a fan and this is just my opinion. Obviously the coaches have a better picture of who plays what, but here are some possiblilities IMHO.
We have 11 underclassmen who should contribute much next year:
#8 a freshman QB and REC
#34 a junior DE
#40 a junior OLB
#50 a junior center DE/LB
#51 a junior DT/G
#52 a junior T/DT
#54 a junior LB/G
#55 a junior T/DT
#61 a junior G/DT
#64 a soph T/DT
#65 a soph G/DT
I would say today that numbers 8(at REC),40,61, and 64 will most likely be starters next year. The others will see a lot of action and may break into the lineup in mid season. We have several excellent prospects comming up from the frosh and jv as well so the Leps will be very solid next season. 13 returning starters (6 offense, 7 defense).

<small>[ December 03, 2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>