PDA

View Full Version : Shrine Game in CC

Ranger354
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Anybody go to this thing. Wish I had made it home in time.

OnceABucJr
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Just got back. Great game, back & forth ending in 31-31 tie.

piratebg
05-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I can't find anything on the game. Nothing in the Caller Times or on any of the local news stations.

Phil C
05-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Sounds like it was a good offensive game.

pirate4state
05-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I can't find anything on the game. Nothing in the Caller Times or on any of the local news stations. I want to say Channel 6 was out there. Nice size crowd and a great night for football. I was surprised there weren't more people out there.

sinton66
05-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Prep Stars get a chance to shine in Shrine game

George Vondracek

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/may/21/prep-stars-get-chance-to-shine/

CORPUS CHRISTI — For those high school football players fortunate and talented enough to have their playing careers extended to the collegiate level, Saturday night's 15th annual Coastal Bend Al Amin Shrine Football All-Star Classic is extra icing on the cake.

For those still looking for a place to play, the ballgame is an opportunity to catch the eye of a college coach.

"That's the way I'm taking it," said Refugio's Jourdan Ortiz, last season's All-South Texas MVP. "I can show them that it wasn't that I could just play with guys at my high school, I can play with everybody."

Most everybody who was anybody at the high school level from the area is tabbed for the ballgame at Buccaneer Stadium. One hundred nine are scheduled to participate.

"We've talked quite a bit about that. 'This is your last go-round as a high school athlete,'" said Mathis' Paul Kilby, who will coach the West squad along with his staff. "They are aware that there's quite a few smaller colleges from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, right up Tornado Alley, there's a lot of them have contacted me and say that they are coming to the game, they have a little scholarship money left, those type of things. So I think the kids are aware of that and we've tried to make them aware of that. I think they're pretty excited about that."

Sinton's Tom Allen, who along with his staff will head the East team, agreed. He added that the game also provides a chance for the players to square off against players with similar abilities.

"There's a couple of smaller colleges that are going to be down here taking a look, and I think that's exciting," Allen said. "The guys who already know where they're going this is another opportunity for them to play specifically with kids of their caliber.

"A lot of times they're the very best football player on their team and there's maybe not anybody that looks or acts like them," Allen said. "So to be around nothing but their caliber of athlete is pretty neat for those guys, whether they're going somewhere or not."

Ortiz, who said he is now leaning toward going to Texas A&M-Kingsville, will be joined by two All-South Texas honor position players -- offensive MVP Josh Harrison, a quarterback from Sinton, and Flour Bluff defensive back Ramon Flores, the defensive MVP. Nine other first-team picks are on the rosters, as well as eight second-teamers and 10 honorable-mention picks.

Also on Saturday, the Coastal Bend Coaches Association Shriners All-Star Basketball Games will be held at Miller High School. The girls game is scheduled for noon with the boys game set for 2 p.m.

The boys teams feature 19 members of the Caller-Times All-South Texas squads, including Orange Grove's Jordan Huber, Tuloso-Midway's Travis Nelson and Ray's Eric Tapia for the West and Gregory-Portland's Nate Velasco for the East.

Twelve members of the All-South Texas girls team are represented, including first-teamers Chelsea Arredondo from Alice and Ray's Taysia Taylor and Crystal Yeverino, all on the West team.

MUSTANG69
05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I want to say Channel 6 was out there. Nice size crowd and a great night for football. I was surprised there weren't more people out there.

Channel 6 had about a 1 minute report on the game on 10:00 news. Not much of report. They did mention Sinton quarterback and Ingleside running back.