PDA

View Full Version : giddings/robstown...

NastySlot
05-22-2010, 04:56 PM
any early word on this matchup?

Be_Advised
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Best of Three. In San Antonio. Stadium details still being worked out. Thursday and Saturday.

No Friday game due to graduation for Robstown.

NastySlot
05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Best of Three. In San Antonio. Stadium details still being worked out. Thursday and Saturday.

No Friday game due to graduation for Robstown.

thanks......might try to make it over to sa.

polevaultislife
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Prediction time--Robstown blows out Giddings and wins in 2!

buff4ever
05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by polevaultislife

I am not saying that we can't be beat in this series 2-0, but what does your blowout comment mean. Just that it will be over in 2 or are you expecting us to give up a lot of runs. B/c that won't happen. I expect the 2 or 3 games to be very close, and predict giddings to squeak it out in the end.

NastySlot
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Wow....pretty bold statement.

from what I hear from coaches is Giddings is stout and should be odds on favorite out of region iv.

allforball
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Wow....pretty bold statement.

from what I hear from coaches is Giddings is stout and should be odds on favorite out of region iv.

Don't know what kind of pitching Robstown has, but I believe Giddings success will depend on their 5-9 hitters being productive at the plate also. If Robstown can get to a third game, they have a chance.

Ex-Tiger2005
05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
when will all the sites for all the games be listed? where is west located from reg. 1 i cant seem to find it on the map?

onsideanytime
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
polevaultislife- you need to just stick to running with your pole in your hand, prediction time- giddings in a blowout

Be_Advised
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM

As much I hope this will happen, I can't honestly agree with blowout portion of that statement. Robstown will have their hands full with a tough Giddings team.

But I feel we will have a good shot of pulling off what some could call an upset. The games that we have played have put us in that position.

We have faced some quality teams during the year and Giddings will be added to the list.

Footballhudini
05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I am not saying that we can't be beat in this series 2-0, but what does your blowout comment mean. Just that it will be over in 2 or are you expecting us to give up a lot of runs. B/c that won't happen. I expect the 2 or 3 games to be very close, and predict giddings to squeak it out in the end.

homer imo

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
when will all the sites for all the games be listed? where is west located from reg. 1 i cant seem to find it on the map?

Sort of in the Waco vicinity. Here's a map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=West&state=TX&country=US&latitude=31.8022&longitude=-97.0914&geocode=CITY)

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I've been waiting for this matchup the whole postseason. Robstown is a very well-disciplined team and are definitely battle tested through their treacherous regular season. Giddings has, IMO, the most talent out of any team in 3A, by far. Game 1 will be an exciting one with Velasquez, who struck out 14 of a possible 15 batters his last appearance, and Masek on the mound facing off. Masek has really been on this postseason, hurling a complete game 1-hit shutout against the Brahmas in his last showing. The winner of this one will almost certainly represent Region IV in the state tournament and, IMO, are the odds on favorite to win it all.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I am not saying that we can't be beat in this series 2-0, but what does your blowout comment mean. Just that it will be over in 2 or are you expecting us to give up a lot of runs. B/c that won't happen. I expect the 2 or 3 games to be very close, and predict giddings to squeak it out in the end. Good matchup for both teams, Robstown is battle tested and Giddings is another team that matches up to teams Robstown has face earlier in the year. Could be two close games or 3 but Giddings needs to avoid the big innings that Robstown puts up sometimes in close games. I'm leaning to Robstown winning it in 3 games.

Ex-Tiger2005
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Sort of in the Waco vicinity. Here's a map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=West&state=TX&country=US&latitude=31.8022&longitude=-97.0914&geocode=CITY)

so more than likely the game will be in abilene...i have been really disappointed that there have not been many games in snyder at our field :mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
is it still SA for the site?

gtownfan
05-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I've been waiting for this matchup the whole postseason. Robstown is a very well-disciplined team and are definitely battle tested through their treacherous regular season. Giddings has, IMO, the most talent out of any team in 3A, by far. Game 1 will be an exciting one with Velasquez, who struck out 14 of a possible 15 batters his last appearance, and Masek on the mound facing off. Masek has really been on this postseason, hurling a complete game 1-hit shutout against the Brahmas in his last showing. The winner of this one will almost certainly represent Region IV in the state tournament and, IMO, are the odds on favorite to win it all.

What kind of pitcher is Velasquez? Power or lots of off speed pitches?

I think it's going to be a close series also. Think Giddings will pull it out and looking forward to going to the game(s) on Saturday. Hope Saturday games are at Wollfe Stadium like some are reporting.

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Velasquez pitched against Bellville last year in the Regional Semi's and did very, very well. As only a sophomore, was consistently 87-88 and had a great changeup and really mixed his pitches up well and kept Bellville off balance. Big lefty and can throw Changeup, Curveball, and Fastball all for strikes in any count. Should've beat Bellville but overthrow on a bunt forced in a run and Bellville never looked back. Have not seen him this year, heard that he's been banged up for most of the year but he looks to be back to his dominance since his return.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Velasquez pitched against Bellville last year in the Regional Semi's and did very, very well. As only a sophomore, was consistently 87-88 and had a great changeup and really mixed his pitches up well and kept Bellville off balance. Big lefty and can throw Changeup, Curveball, and Fastball all for strikes in any count. Should've beat Bellville but overthrow on a bunt forced in a run and Bellville never looked back. Have not seen him this year, heard that he's been banged up for most of the year but he looks to be back to his dominance since his return. he similar to Muellar. did a right handed pitcher replace Muellar last game against Giddings just thinking Robstown other pitcher is a right hander that has been pitching great while Velasquez worked back to form.

gtownfan
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
he similar to Muellar. did a right handed pitcher replace Muellar last game against Giddings just thinking Robstown other pitcher is a right hander that has been pitching great while Velasquez worked back to form.

Yes, a right handed (#20) came in after Muellar. The two homers were off Muellar.

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, Clay Gaddy (sp?) was the right hander who replaced Mueller. SFIA, what else does Robstown have? You'd know more than me as I haven't seen the 'Pickers since last year.

gtownfan
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
he similar to Muellar. did a right handed pitcher replace Muellar last game against Giddings just thinking Robstown other pitcher is a right hander that has been pitching great while Velasquez worked back to form.

Yes, a right handed (#20) came in after Muellar. The two homers were off Muellar.

Be_Advised
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
just thinking Robstown other pitcher is a right hander that has been pitching great while Velasquez worked back to form.

Robstown has LHP Randy Flores and RHP Trey Leal. Those two along with Velaquez have been outstanding all year.

Leal got the victory against Sinton in relief. Flores pitched a 4 hitter in his loss to Sinton. Flores also held CC Moody to 4 runs in his loss to them.

Those three are the ones most likely to see action against Giddings. But if needed Max Mesa, who got the victory against JPII, and Alex Marroquin, who defeated Cuero, will be ready as well.

All the players mentioned are Juniors.

Spread It Out
05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Impressive group of kids. Was reading some of the updates being posted against Mathis and Velasquez seems to be swinging the bat very well right now.

gtownfan
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
:)

Be_Advised
05-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Game 1, 5/27, @ 7:30pm Texas State, San Marcos
Game 2, 5/29, @ 2:00pm Texas State, San Marcos
Game 3 if necessary 30 minutes following game 2 same venue

NastySlot
05-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Game 1, 5/27, @ 7:30pm Texas State, San Marcos
Game 2, 5/29, @ 2:00pm Texas State, San Marcos
Game 3 if necessary 30 minutes following game 2 same venue

Texas State has a really nice ball park....and only and hour+ for me...might make it over.

CueroDad08
05-24-2010, 07:50 PM
After being lucky enough to watch both these good teams play.
I would have to go with Giddings in this one in Two. Robstown will keep it close with there very solid "D". But Giddings has the better all around team. Look for Giddings to win a very close game one with both teams aces. Then Giddings will start scoring like they have done all year with very clutch hitting with runners on base.

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Have to go with CueroDad on this one, have not seen Robstown play this year but know they have tradition. Masek's fastball and major league breaking pitch will be something Robstown hitter's have not seen, then you come back the next day with another hard throwing righty who also has a very good breaking pitch. With Giddings top four hitter it will be really hard for Robstown to shut them down, so first game I think Robstown will keep it close but Masek will bring his A game and win a 3 or 4 run game. Game 2 will see more runs scored maybe a 5 to 6 run win for the Buffs. Pitching and Defense wins playoff games. Just my 2 cents.

Old QB
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Robstown, you've got your work cut out for you. Giddings is loaded with talent. They've got two other pitchers who are almost as good as Masek.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Old QB
Robstown, you've got your work cut out for you. Giddings is loaded with talent. They've got two other pitchers who are almost as good as Masek. Its more like Giddings has their work cut out for them in this series

allforball
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Its more like Giddings has their work cut out for them in this series

Giddings returns 7 starters from last years State team; 5 Seniors in which 3 have signed to play college ball .. 2 of those to
Division I Schools; both pitchers have been clocked at 90+mph. And their best hitter is a Junior that will definitely go Division I also.

I still think Robstown has a chance if they can get to a Game 3. So I believe Robstown has their work cut out for them.

With Robstown and Giddings fans .... it will be an incredible playing atmosphere. Top that off with playing in a College Stadium .... priceless!

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by allforball
Giddings returns 7 starters from last years State team; 5 Seniors in which 3 have signed to play college ball .. 2 of those to
Division I Schools; both pitchers have been clocked at 90+mph. And their best hitter is a Junior that will definitely go Division I also.

I still think Robstown has a chance if they can get to a Game 3. So I believe Robstown has their work cut out for them.

With Robstown and Giddings fans .... it will be an incredible playing atmosphere. Top that off with playing in a College Stadium .... priceless!

that's great about those kids that are signed....hey just curious...where are they going?

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
that's great about those kids that are signed....hey just curious...where are they going?

Trey Masek- Texas Tech
Tye Marlow- A&M
Rush Plumlee- Howard College( Pretty sure)
Brooks Marlow-Jr. - Anywhere he wants. ( My opinion)

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Trey Masek- Texas Tech
Tye Marlow- A&M
Rush Plumley- Howard College( Pretty sure)
Brooks Marlow-Jr. - Anywhere he wants. ( My opinion)

thats good stuff.

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
thats good stuff.

You going to Omaha.

NastySlot
05-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
You going to Omaha.

yeah......got general admission booklets .....and tickets to selected games........you going to be there?

going to try and catch a a redhawks game in okc on 16th, royals game on the 17th arrive in omaha on the 18th.

hookandladder
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
yeah......got general admission booklets .....and tickets to selected games........you going to be there?

going to try and catch a a redhawks game in okc on 16th, royals game on the 17th arrive in omaha on the 18th.

Definitely yes, will arrive on the 17th. Be at the park all day Friday thru Tuesday.

Bull's-eye
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Prediction time--Giddings blows out Robstown and wins in 2!

That's more like it! :D

Giddings has superior pitching and has a solid hitting line-up from 1-9. Robstown is a scrappy team that gets great production from their players. I don't remember them having a lot of power from the plate, but they do a good job of playing small ball. Their ace will do a good job changing speeds. I don't see them beating Masek, they may want to hold back their ace for game two. Robstown will bring the fans, they really support their team. After all the dust settles, Giddings has too much talent for the Cotton pickers.

BaseballUmp
05-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Any of yall going to the games? Im pretty sure I'll make atleast the thursday game since its just a few blocks away

SintonFan
05-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I hope Robstown can pull this series out. This on the 40th post and page two.

pirate4state
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

going to try and catch a a redhawks game in okc on 16th, royals game on the 17th arrive in omaha on the 18th. FUN! I loved my trip to Omaha. Would like to go back one day. Great, great atmosphere. When will they be in the new park?

Oh, Giddings was tough last year and they have unfinished business, but if anyone can upset them, it'd be Robstown.

Good Luck!

Be_Advised
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I would just like to say thanks to all the Sinton posters for pulling for us. Having district mates pull for us is something we never experienced in 4A.

MUSTANG69
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I would just like to say thanks to all the Sinton posters for pulling for us. Having district mates pull for us is something we never experienced in 4A.

Just so you know, this Ingleside poster is pulling for you too. I would love to see Robstown bring the State Championship home to D31. I think Robstown is quite capable of doing it.

Be_Advised
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Just so you know, this Ingleside poster is pulling for you too. I would love to see Robstown bring the State Championship home to D31. I think Robstown is quite capable of doing it.

Well thank you too.

IHStangFan
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Good luck to both teams....

GO PICKERS!!

1st and goal
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
This sounds like it could be a tooth and nail dogfight. Would love to go but have obligations.

Go Buffs! Pitch by Pitch.

Will it be on any radio or internet?

1st and goal
05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Robstown has LHP Randy Flores and RHP Trey Leal. Those two along with Velaquez have been outstanding all year.

Leal got the victory against Sinton in relief. Flores pitched a 4 hitter in his loss to Sinton. Flores also held CC Moody to 4 runs in his loss to them.

Those three are the ones most likely to see action against Giddings. But if needed Max Mesa, who got the victory against JPII, and Alex Marroquin, who defeated Cuero, will be ready as well.

All the players mentioned are Juniors.

It sounds like Robstown will be loaded for bear next year too.

I just know that Giddings came so close last year. Lost maybe 2 starters, and have worked so hard ever since to have another great year. I am really rooting for them to go all the way. I feel its going to come down to timely hits. Who can hit the ball with RISP will win this series.

Trey Masek looked awesome against Bellville. Having a really big crowd like that is such good experience. Bellville almost scored a few times. Once, due to errors and once was the receiver of a major league defensive play by 2nd baseman to end the inning. Milo Hamilton would have given him a "blue star".

Wonder if Robstown lost the coin flip as to where they were playing? San Marcos is almost 170 miles away. I thought they'd play in Victoria. Is the stadium as good, no, but the distance is neutral for both teams.

BaseballUmp
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
It sounds like Robstown will be loaded for bear next year too.

I just know that Giddings came so close last year. Lost maybe 2 starters, and have worked so hard ever since to have another great year. I am really rooting for them to go all the way. I feel its going to come down to timely hits. Who can hit the ball with RISP will win this series.

Trey Masek looked awesome against Bellville. Having a really big crowd like that is such good experience. Bellville almost scored a few times. Once, due to errors and once was the receiver of a major league defensive play by 2nd baseman to end the inning. Milo Hamilton would have given him a "blue star".

Wonder if Robstown lost the coin flip as to where they were playing? San Marcos is almost 170 miles away. I thought they'd play in Victoria. Is the stadium as good, no, but the distance is neutral for both teams.

hey now, my texas state field is good haha....ill be curious to see if I can maybe meet a few peeps at the game tomorrow night

SintonFan
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Go Cotton Pickers!!!
:clap: :) :clap:

sinton66
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Go Cotton Pickers!!!
:clap: :) :clap:

+1!

BaseballUmp
05-26-2010, 10:56 PM
the first and only time i will ever ever ever say this, but go buffaloes lol

SintonFan_inAustin
05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
i should be able to make it unless i get stuck working in Victoria area tommorrow.

buff4ever
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
the first and only time i will ever ever ever say this, but go buffaloes lol

We'll take it.:)