PDA

View Full Version : PI vs. Marlin (game breakdown)

Ed Francois
12-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Once again you forget about fundamental football.
You can be assured of one thing PI will be ready for the run. Every one and their grandmas run the ball in the RGV, from the veer to the power I, the tradional power houses in the valley run the ball. The only teams that have consistently thrown in years past are Harlingen (cardinals) and Mission (eagles) both 5A, and PI plays neither. The valley teams can stop or slow down the run. We in 94 sent Cuero Packing after shutting down a consistent and high caliber running attack, but lost to a well rounded Sealy passing attack. Valley teams have trouble when it comes to stopping the pass. That’s because they don't face teams that can do damage thru their air force, the last team that PI played that gave them a run for their money in district was Rio Hondo, back in 93.They had a QB named Victor Sauceda and he passed for over 1,000yds.Defending the pass has been an issue for PI since I can remember. We lost to Marble falls in 92 because of their passing game. Believe me it won't be a walk in the park for Marlins running attack. I believe the game comes down to a very important variable.
The team with the least mistakes wins {turnovers}.
While many of you may be looking to talent to win this game, I look for the fundamentals of the gridiron. Tackling, Blocking, Running, and last but not least special teams. Where you start your drive makes a big difference. An upset is not impossible but considering what is at stake look for a night of fireworks from both sides. I’m sure that both coaches are wide awake thru the night and working long hours to exploit each others weakness. Size will only come to play in the fourth quarter. The team with the players in shape has the advantage in the latter part of the game, trust me at this level it’s not for the faint hearted. Marlin has to be able to slow down the nexus of the offense and that is the fullback. As a coach and player I’ve learned that the heart of the option is at the fullback if the fullback can't go, it becomes very difficult to option the ball, try all you want but it won't work. Marlin will be faced with the task of stopping big plays. PI's offense thrives on big plays for momentum. In football if you give up the big plays like Rice did you give up momentum. Marlin is going to have their hands full, these kids are going to let it all out on the field. Herrera, PI's middle backer and stud will have to have the game of his life against Tank Smith. If you ever heard of this old saying" Don't believe the Hype”. You’ll know where I'm going with this. I can't afford to get caught up in the HYPE. As Coach V. would say "FOCUS”. The underdog of this game really is Marlin not PI.PI is looking to make history, and like I said before, the road to state comes through PI and has in many occasions and it continues to be that way. The team that deserves to win, is the team that is well rounded not one dimensional. What both teams did in district and recent games has no affect to the outcome of the game. Here are the keys for success on both sides of the ball.

Marlin(offense)
1.Run the ball well on a very stingy run defense.
2.Pass the ball to create opportunities for Tank Smith
3.Turnovers,the biggest factor in this game, limit your mistakes. PI will definitely exploit them.

Port Isabel(offense)
1.Establish the fullback, very important factor to get Iracheta going, I doubt he will be able to run free this game.
2.PI's passing game will have to make good of every pass thrown. Receivers will have to play at all time high.
3.Last but not least, Mistakes PI can't afford them.

Marlin(Defense)
1.Can't allow Iracheta to get loose in the secondary, if he does look to spring practice next year. Can not let Nieto wear the middle backers down. The Qb does not pose a threat. Nevertheless don't be surprised with a sneak passing attack.
2.Special teams a game of field position. Can’t afford to let Iracheta run loose on you or its all over.

Port Isabel(Defense)
1.Stop Tank Smith, not slow him down but STOP HIM!!!!. His numbers show that he is an excellent back. Herrera will show his true colors in this match up this is by far the best back they have faced all season long. Reminds me of one of the many Great RB's we faced in "94".
2.Corners will have to have the game of their life, the buck stops here Marlins passing game is second to none look at their district numbers.Qb has passed for more than 1,000yds.Corners will have to play sound football Pass first,run support second.
3.PI will have to be at its best on special teams.
They will have to pin Marlin deep and use the field as their 12th man and the crowd as the 13th.No room to get beat anywhere on defense we can't afford it.

Final notes.
Defense win championships not Hype. Believe all you want, talk is cheap, what matters now is whose head gear has the loudest mouth. Its exam time for PI's defense. No freebies at this level. The team with the best Defense and least amount of mistakes wins .Don't spec any overtimes just a shellacking of either team.
Go big blue!!! Play Sound football

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Ed Francois ]</small>

MARLINFAN
12-11-2003, 10:12 AM
:D

RPM
12-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Ed Francois:
Valley teams have trouble when it comes to stopping the pass. That’s because they don't face teams that can do damage thru their air force,Ive been saying that all along in the RGV forums. Nice breakdown I couldnt of said it better myself.

fmsc64
12-11-2003, 10:28 AM
wink Talk is cheap. Marlin Bulldogs are out to win and PI will have to watch all the players. eek! Our team is ready to win and yes it will be a tight game. Both teams didn't get to this level playing marbles. Bulldogs stay cool, make every action count. Remember Action=Reactions=Consequences! All the way Purple and Gold. Stay focused, cool, calm and collected, but fight and fight hard to the very end. Good luck to both teams and may the Best do their Best and may the very Best win!
"Bulldogs - Come Ready Or Never Start!"
Marlin is state bound the Bulldogs will not let us down! wink

tarponpride55
12-11-2003, 11:45 AM
to all the football tarpon guys may yall play a hell of game like ayll did last saturday and hope that yall prove them bull puppies wrong and rememeber no matter what happen we are still very proud of you guys so GO TARPONS AND ALL THE WAY TO STATE!!!
LUV YA BLUE!!! :)